Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Nuno has said on TV that Lee Mason isn't fit to ref in the premier league. He's not wrong but he'll be charged over it most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

.G. wrote: »
    Nuno has said on TV that Lee Mason isn't fit to ref in the premier league. He's not wrong but he'll be charged over it most likely.

Literally or figuratively? I wouldn't argue with either.

Chelsea have gone up 2-0 vs West Ham, it has been trash to watch. 3-0 now, kinda surprised it was given as Pulisic surely impeded the goalie there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

3-0 but thought we were very poor. Worrying signs under Lampard.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Markitron wrote: »
    West Brom have hired Pardew, Pulis, Allardyce & Hodgson.

They, along with Palace, should never be allowed in the PL ever again.

Hodgson doesn't belong to be named in the same company as them. Just because it didn't work at Liverpool some people unfairly have him labeled as a dinosaur.

His Fulham team was wonderfully entertaining and he's had palace play some great stuff too.

He's also got a lot more class than any of the others.

He's a thoroughly respected coach abroad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hodgson's hugely over rated by the English media, yeah I'm biased but I never wanted him near Liverpool. I remember him years ago taking a decent enough Blackburn side into mediocrity. He's made a career out of managing abroad, in jobs, on paper at least haven't appeared that taxing.
    I do agree however his name doesn't belong with that unholy trinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

In some ways Hodgson seems like the English Gerard Houiller. Obviously Houllier is the better manager but they both are well respected and "good football men"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

brevity wrote: »
    In some ways Hodgson seems like the English Gerard Houiller. Obviously Houllier is the better manager but they both are well respected and "good football men"

Good comparison but I wouldn’t agree with Houllier being the obvious better manager, as subjective as that is.

Houllier was a better manager for Liverpool but Hodgsons career achievements are broad and stand up to Houlliers.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Literally or figuratively? I wouldn't argue with either.

Chelsea have gone up 2-0 vs West Ham, it has been trash to watch. 3-0 now, kinda surprised it was given as Pulisic surely impeded the goalie there.

Figuratively.

Said he's isn't good enough basically and he complained about him before so can't understand why he was appointed to their game again.

Because Mike Riley, Nuno, that's why. One of the worst refs to ever ref a game in England is in charge of rhe refs and their performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Week 14 Highlights
    Palace V Liverpool

Southampton V Man City

Everton V Arsenal

Newcastle V Fulham

Brighton V Sheff Utd

Spurs V Leicester

Man Utd V Leeds

WBA V Villa

Burnley V Wolves

Chelsea V West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

31 Liverpool
    27 Leicester
    26 Man Utd Everton
    25 Chelsea Spurs
    24 Southampton
    23 Man City
    22 Villa
    21 West Ham
    20 Wolves
    18 Newcastle Palace
    17 Leeds
    14 Arsenal
    13 Burnley
    12 Brighton
    10 Fulham
    7 WBA
    2 Sheff Utd

• Advertisement

alternative table is starting to get a 2020 vibe about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nunu wrote: »
    Good comparison but I wouldn’t agree with Houllier being the obvious better manager, as subjective as that is.

Houllier was a better manager for Liverpool but Hodgsons career achievements are broad and stand up to Houlliers.

Eh no nó they do not stand up to Houlier
    3 French leauge, 2 French cups, FA Cup, 2 leauge Cup, Uefa Cup, Super Cup, Charity Sheild

Hodgson does not get close to that

Eh no nó they do not stand up to Houlier
    3 French leauge, 2 French cups, FA Cup, 2 leauge Cup, Uefa Cup, Super Cup, Charity Sheild

Hodgson does not get close to that

He's like houlier in career path though. Non league player, became a teacher got into management and then moved into the admin/structural side of the game.

He had a massive impact there that went way beyond domestic success.

Hodgson is incredibly overrated.

I didn't realise how limited his managerial experience was until he took over Liverpool. Completely out of his depth. A Danish league title is his highlight in a 45 year managerial career.

I thought Solskaar was going down the same route, appears to have turned it around. Arteta in a similar position to Hodgson's Liverpool. Probably a better comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Hodgson has had a huge amount of venom directed at him, he was out of his depth in the Liverpool job but he is in no way worthy of some of the stuff I've seen people say about him. Someone like moyes is still incredibly bitter about his spell at United but Roy just kept on trucking with a smile on his face even when having dogs abuse hurled at him and I don't ever recall seeing him making any excuses or shifting blame for how his time at LFC went. He seems like simply a decent bloke.

There was an alleged spat at Anfield when he came back after being fired and was put out because he couldn't sit where he wanted.

Then there's this gem
    "Of course, my track record, if people bothered to study it, would put me in the same category as [Sir Alex] Ferguson enjoys today, but people don't talk about what I've done outside England"

He just constantly reminds me of the wrong guy in the right place when someone is looking for a manager.
    Liverpool, England? good lord.

Seems like a decent bloke alright. Just not a manager I'd like at my club. At a rival club yes.

Definitely the worst manager I've seen at LFC. He was embarrassing tbh. The state of the club at the time didn't help him tbf. The tactics, his interviews, bigging up routine wins over minnows, his whole demeanour . Getting PTSD here thinking about it!! Thank **** for Klopp :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hodgson has a 44% win rate his 44 year managerial career so you know exactly what you will get from him.

4 wins in every 10 games.

In a 38 games season he will average 38 points that is just enough to keep your team in the top flight every season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hodgson has a 44% win rate his 44 year managerial career so you know exactly what you will get from him.

In a 38 games season he will average 38 points that is just enough to keep your team in the top flight every season.

Am I missing something here?

4 wins every 10 games = 12 points every 10 games

so after 30 games he would have 36 points just from the wins.

4/10 = 40% so lets say it's 3 out of the remaining 8 he wins as thats 37.5%

so another 9 pts totaling 45 points just from wins in a season.

Add in points from draws and he would be looking at a hell of a lot more than 38points per season. Especially seeing as 44% is actually better than 4 wins out of ten so his return would on average be better than the stats above

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

eigrod wrote: »
    Red card. VAR will drive a traditionalist like Allardyce mad.

He was the first manager in the PL who embraced technology to my recollection, and used it back in his Bolton days to analyse, communicate and was one of the pioneers of sports science in the English.

He was an advocate for video refereeing from a long time ago and referred to it in interviews during his time at Blackburn and West Ham.

His style of play may be traditional, but his methods are not. I don't see how you could come to the conclusion that he would be opposed to VAR based on facts. Can you explain?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55400922
    Newcastle winger Allan Saint-Maximin and captain Jamaal Lascelles are both suffering from the long-term effects of coronavirus and it is not known when they will return.

The pair were among several players to have contracted the virus when an outbreak hit the club earlier this month.

That forced the postponement of Newcastle's game against Aston Villa and the training ground was closed for over a week.

Manager Steve Bruce said on Friday that two of his players had suffered "damaging effects" of the virus and had been "struggling for a while with it".

At that point, the club had not named the players in question.

But after reports emerged on Monday that the players had fallen out with Bruce, the club clarified the reason for their recent absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That Long Covid sounds horrible.

DM_7 wrote: »

Worrying. Both young fit men, presumably with no underlying condition.

Would be interested to know how they are affected. Is it organ related or fatigue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Being out of breath after walking up some stairs seems to be the deal with my mates who have long covid. Nobody knows the long term effects or damage it will have on the lungs.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Being out of breath after walking up some stairs seems to be the deal with my mates who have long covid. Nobody knows the long term effects or damage it will have on the lungs.

Inflammation of the heart has been always been linked to to viruses. No surprise it's linked to to Covid too.

Heart damage a big concern for athletes obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1341359340956094466?s=19

"EXCLUSIVE: I'm told Premier League clubs in Tier 4 areas will now be tested twice a week (every 72 hours) as opposed to once. Rest of league set to follow post-Christmas. Had been once a week. Talks accelerated after new restrictions brought in by PM. More @MailSport shortly."

Didn't know they stopped testing twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hodgson has had a huge amount of venom directed at him, he was out of his depth in the Liverpool job but he is in no way worthy of some of the stuff I've seen people say about him. Someone like moyes is still incredibly bitter about his spell at United but Roy just kept on trucking with a smile on his face even when having dogs abuse hurled at him and I don't ever recall seeing him making any excuses or shifting blame for how his time at LFC went. He seems like simply a decent bloke.

He couldn't of gotten the Liverpool job at a worse period, the club was on the brink of administration. The recruitment in an already desperate squad was appalling. Still he was miles out his depth, he carried himself totally wrong and couldn't handle the expectation.

He's a good low to midtable manager though and I believe palace would be long relegated without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

rob316 wrote: »
    He couldn't of gotten the Liverpool job at a worse period, the club was on the brink of administration. The recruitment in an already desperate squad was appalling. Still he was miles out his depth, he carried himself totally wrong and couldn't handle the expectation.

He's a good low to midtable manager though and I believe palace would be long relegated without him.

I'd agree with this and felt similar with Moyes where they let it slip in interviews that they hadn't got the mindset to manage big clubs with big expectations. Didn't Hodgson say something that Liverpool aren't too big to get relegated

Perfect for Palace though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Unearthly wrote: »
    Didn't Hodgson say something that Liverpool aren't too big to get relegated

He said a lot of stupid things in those few months, and every one of them was as damaging to him as a bad result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool & Everton are the only Premier League teams allowed to have fans in for the weekend fixtures as most of the rest of England moves into Tier 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Haven't Palace one of the biggest wage bulle in the EPL, something like #6 or #7 on the list? Should be comfortably top half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not sure how the currently rules are being utilised with VAR not being used in the competition etc. Or the continuation of cup pans into league games. Could this Cavani incident in the league cup game get a retrospective ban for all English games or just cup games?

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1341857177095593985?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fitz* wrote: »
    Not sure how the currently rules are being utilised with VAR not being used in the competition etc. Or the continuation of cup pans into league games. Could this Cavani incident in the league cup game get a retrospective ban for all English games or just cup games?

Where were you yesterday for Fernandinho's incident vs. Arsenal?

Probably a United-led VAR conspiracy sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What happened yesterday?

Also there is no VAR in the Carabao Cup so not sure how there could be a VAR conspiracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Driving home for Christmas :o

It's not anti VAR or anti Man Utd, the world is not against you don't worry.

Just a question of could a retrospective ban be given? Don't even know what happened with Fernandinho. Not that it has any relevance.

Fitz* wrote: »

A retrospective ban for that??? FFS, a nothing incident, move on! Defender should be embarrassed by his actions, not Cavani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why is var not in the league cup anyway?
    Son had a clear goal ruled out for off side which could’ve been costly.
    Is there var in the FA cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A retrospective ban for that??? FFS, a nothing incident, move on! Defender should be embarrassed by his actions, not Cavani

You can't put your hands up around a players face or neck area. That's been a red card offence for years now.

Trying to blame the defender for Cavanis actions is seriously passing the buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tom1ie wrote: »
    Why is var not in the league cup anyway?
    Son had a clear goal ruled out for off side which could’ve been costly.
    Is there var in the FA cup?

It's gonna be used in the FA Cup from the 3rd round onwards alright, in the grounds that support it. Going by last year, it will mostly likely also be in the League Cup for the semi final and final.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can't put your hands up around a players face or neck area. That's been a red card offence for years now.

Trying to blame the defender for Cavanis actions is seriously passing the buck.

The offence is usually violent conduct, nothing violent there, 6 of 1,half a dozen of the other, the defender made a meal of it.

Anyway happy Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Man City players Jesus and Walker test positive for COVID in latest round of testing.

ongarite wrote: »
    Man City players Jesus and Walker test positive for COVID in latest round of testing.

Obviously you wouldn't wish it on anyone.

But given Walker's breach after breach after breach of the lockdown rules, visiting sex workers, his sister and his parents, his defence that anyone giving out was affecting his mental health, and Man City's inability to curb the remarkable and dangerous stupidity of their player, it seems inevitable. It's not like he grew brain cells in recent months.

Obviously you wouldn't wish it on anyone.

But given Walker's breach after breach after breach of the lockdown rules, visiting sex workers, his sister and his parents, his defence that anyone giving out was affecting his mental health, and Man City's inability to curb the remarkable and dangerous stupidity of their player, it seems inevitable. It's not like he grew brain cells in recent months.

And a happy new year!

Sums up 2020 when Jesus gets covid for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

.G. wrote: »
    Sums up 2020 when Jesus gets covid for Christmas.

Shyte Birthday present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Top 20 Premier League transfers according to Sky Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Thierry Henry
    Eric Cantona
    Frank Lampard
    Roy Keane
    Didier Drogba
    Sol Campbell
    Wayne Rooney
    Vincent Kompany
    Alan Shearer
    Mohamed Salah
    N'Golo Kante
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Virgil van Dijk
    Gianfranco Zola
    David Silva
    Patrick Vieira
    Eden Hazard
    Sergio Aguero
    Petr Cech

Hard to argue with alot of those names, I would have Tim Cahill and Peter Schmeichel in personally. Maybe Vardy. Don't think Campbell should be in.

Hard to argue with alot of those names, I would have Tim Cahill and Peter Schmeichel in personally...

Tim Cahill?

Gary Cahill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Ronaldo and Henry are the 2 best players that have played in the PL, but for me, there is no way their signings were more crucial then Keane and Lampard.

Top 20 Premier League transfers according to Sky Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Thierry Henry
    Eric Cantona
    Frank Lampard
    Roy Keane
    Didier Drogba
    Sol Campbell
    Wayne Rooney
    Vincent Kompany
    Alan Shearer
    Mohamed Salah
    N'Golo Kante
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Virgil van Dijk
    Gianfranco Zola
    David Silva
    Patrick Vieira
    Eden Hazard
    Sergio Aguero
    Petr Cech

Hard to argue with alot of those names, I would have Tim Cahill and Peter Schmeichel in personally. Maybe Vardy. Don't think Campbell should be in.

Campbell was a free transfer and an absolute rock for arsenal. Hard to argue with that. Peak campbell would. improve any team now

Tevez to city was a game changing one too. I'd put van der sar in too maybe. Finally out an end to the post schmeicel woes

Schmeicel joined pre Premier league and Vardy was promoted with Leicester so neither would be premier league transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Van Persie to United? Not sure i even agree with it myself, but he was the catalyst for Fergie's last title

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement