Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Surprised Aguero is so low. He should be top 5 IMO. Probably the best City signing anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Tim Cahill?

Gary Cahill?

Tim, he was a great signing for Everton, even made Ballon d'Or shortlist one year I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Weepsie wrote: »
    Campbell was a free transfer and an absolute rock for arsenal. Hard to argue with that. Peak campbell would. improve any team now

Tevez to city was a game changing one too. I'd put van der sar in too maybe. Finally out an end to the post schmeicel woes

Schmeicel joined pre Premier league and Vardy was promoted with Leicester so neither would be premier league transfers.

Yep, fair point on Schmeichel and Vardy.
    Ferdinand, Vidic, Ricardo Carvalho, worth a mention too

Tim, he was a great signing for Everton, even made Ballon d'Or shortlist one year I think

He did, in 2006, along with Joe Cole, Arjen Robben and Michael Essien for Chelsea, William Gallas and Cesc Febregas at Arsenal etc. I'd have all of them, and many more over the years, on par or ahead of Cahill, though he was a very solid player and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

He did, in 2006, along with Joe Cole, Arjen Robben and Michael Essien for Chelsea, William Gallas and Cesc Febregas at Arsenal etc. I'd have all of them, and many more over the years, on par or ahead of Cahill, though he was a very solid player and great value.

Robben, Essien and Fabregas for sure. Joe Cole on talent but not output long term. Can't agree on Gallas, far too erratic. But overall fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd have Henry, Cantona, Aguero, Kompany & Keane well ahead of Ronnie as the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I thought Van Der Vaart was a brilliant signing for Spurs. Didn't stay long enough to be mentioned in the above list but if he'd stayed longer I think he could be there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I thought Van Der Vaart was a brilliant signing for Spurs. Didn't stay long enough to be mentioned in the above list but if he'd stayed longer I think he could be there abouts.

Same deal with Modric.

Hard to argue with any of the names really, and could easily add 10 more that wouldn’t look out of place.

Interesting that Zola’s the only one of the lot of them that never won a Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Same deal with Modric.

Hard to argue with any of the names really, and could easily add 10 more that wouldn’t look out of place.

Interesting that Zola’s the only one of the lot of them that never won a Premier League.

Yep was going to mention Modric but VDV was half the price.

Alonso for Liverpool was a bargain at £14m as well.

You'll always have suggestions on these lists though that have a great claim to be added who are excluded though. Ballack at Chelsea for a free was a serious signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yep was going to mention Modric but VDV was half the price.

Alonso for Liverpool was a bargain at £14m as well.

You'll always have suggestions on these lists though that have a great claim to be added who are excluded though. Ballack at Chelsea for a free was a serious signing.

Hyypia to Liverpool for tuppance is another. Massive player for a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Probably the best player of the Premier League era not to win a title, unfortunate that his Chelsea career was just before the arrival of Abramovich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Miss of the season, Rashford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

That’s an outrageous miss - what a cross in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He didn’t miss that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Great strike to make it 1-1 by Harvey Barnes. Fernandes giving the ball away set the move in motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fernandes fouls somebody taking a free kick lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Top 20 Premier League transfers according to Sky Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Thierry Henry
    Eric Cantona
    Frank Lampard
    Roy Keane
    Didier Drogba
    Sol Campbell
    Wayne Rooney
    Vincent Kompany
    Alan Shearer
    Mohamed Salah
    N'Golo Kante
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Virgil van Dijk
    Gianfranco Zola
    David Silva
    Patrick Vieira
    Eden Hazard
    Sergio Aguero
    Petr Cech

Hard to argue with alot of those names, I would have Tim Cahill and Peter Schmeichel in personally. Maybe Vardy. Don't think Campbell should be in.

Cantona was the most significant signing, he was the missing piece for Ferguson and led to United dominating the league, without him United and Ferguson might not have gotten over the winning line and the dominance they had may never have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Utd favourites for the league now surely.

Oh hang on.

Own goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

eigrod wrote: »
    Own goal.

Will depend on if the shot was on target or not, am sure Vardy will be claiming it, the dubious goals panel will take a look at it.

Man U shoudl have won really with the chances created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Really hope Everton don't sh1t the bed later after that result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Really hope Everton don't sh1t the bed later after that result

I'm hoping they do ;)

I'm hoping they do ;)

Can genuinely see it happening unfortunately :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The pundits talking about how well Tielemans played???
    He gave the ball away at least 5 times in very bad areas. Trying to beat the man all the time and very predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hard to win games when the defence continuously give away cheap goals.
    Bailly at fault for both goals, the guy is brain dead .

Will depend on if the shot was on target or not, am sure Vardy will be claiming it, the dubious goals panel will take a look at it.

Vardy said it was probably going wide. I can see it being changed to an OG. Either way, I'm sure Leicester are just happy it counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'll keep saying it.

Utd going forward are a title challenger. Mainly because of the genius of Bruno Fernandes.

They can't mount a proper charge with that defence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Well deserved draw for Leicester!

Vardy is such a clever striker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fernandes is class, he's champion class the rest are good but not near his class and they will win nothing with that back 5.

DDG has conceded 19 goals this season from 38 shots on target. Exactly 50% of shots beat him. Very poor record. It's getting close to 'get your shot on target and it will be a goal' territory.

He's lucky that the Vardy shot was not on target so it doesn't count in that record which would bring the goals conceded higher than the number of shots he has saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Can't help but notice that Liverpool have been given a really great schedule over the Christmas period. They had more than a week off before they play tomorrow, then their third game is not until Monday week. 3 games (incl. 2 gimmes) in 9 days.

United play 3 games in 7 days. Tottenham same I think. Most are 3 in 8 days.

PL don't even want to keep it close.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'll keep saying it.

Utd going forward are a title challenger. Mainly because of the genius of Bruno Fernandes.

They can't mount a proper charge with that defence though.

100%

Hoping that area gets invested in with the right recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Can't help but notice that Liverpool have been given a really great schedule over the Christmas period. They had more than a week off before they play tomorrow, then their third game is not until Monday week. 3 games (incl. 2 gimmes) in 9 days.

We have a handy run of games do we? Sound I'll take that happily.

Good lord, as conspiracy theories go, this is right up there.

It was the PL’s fault that Liverpool got knocked out of the League Cup on penalties to Arsenal and thus had no fixture this midweek just gone. Okayyyyy! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Shane Long getting a start today, hope he goes well and Obafemi on the bench. Bad time for Southampton to be without Ings though.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Such is the PL table right now that United & Leicester may not even be in the top 4 tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

yup I agree with you 100% and it's absolutely fantastic :)

Good lord, as conspiracy theories go, this is right up there.

It was the PL’s fault that Liverpool got knocked out of the League Cup on penalties to Arsenal and thus had no fixture this midweek just gone. Okayyyyy! :rolleyes:

If Klopp had Leicester today, Wolves on Tuesday, and Villa on Friday you know he'd be moaning about it.

But he's quiet because he has West Brom tomorrow, Newcastle on Wednesday and Southampton on the following Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well deserved draw for Leicester!

Vardy is such a clever striker!

Elite.

Like a fúcking sniper. One wrong movement at the wrong time and he's got you.

• Advertisement

If Klopp had Leicester today, Wolves on Tuesday, and Villa on Friday you know he'd be moaning about it.

But he's quiet because he has West Brom tomorrow, Newcastle on Wednesday and Southampton on the following Monday.

Do you not know how many injuries Liverpool have, they need to have a good rest between games.

No, Klopp complains about 12.30 kick offs after Wednesday European games because there are other options, same as Solskjaer did.

Everybody plays everybody twice - Liverpool got knocked out of the League Cup and had no game midweek, same as the majority of PL clubs. The PL League didn’t know Liverpool would be out of the League Cup and that Manchester United would be still in it. Your argument is silly - there is no conspiracy.

Don't know why Grealish doesn't just fall there.

No, Klopp complains about 12.30 kick offs after Wednesday European games because there are other options, same as Solskjaer did.

Everybody plays everybody twice - Liverpool got knocked out of the League Cup and had no game midweek, same as the majority of PL clubs. The PL League didn’t know Liverpool would be out of the League Cup and that Manchester United would be still in it. Your argument is silly - there is no conspiracy.

I'm not complaining about the league cup issue, obviously. i was just saying that made it even nicer for them.

so there were other options for United instead of playing next Friday right? there is no difference between Klopp's complaints and mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They didn't know this time last month when fixtures were being selected and the League Cup fixtures were already known?

I don't think moaning about fixtures is something that should be done but it does seem strange that the manager whingeing the most last month has been handed a kinder Christmas fixture list than his competitors despite being in fewer competitions.

I'm not complaining about the league cup issue, obviously. i was just saying that made it even nicer for them.

so there were other options for United instead of playing next Friday right? there is no difference between Klopp's complaints and mine.

The same way there were other options when Liverpool and Palace both played Wednesday night & Saturday morning 12.30. In the same round of games, Chelsea & Wolves played Tuesday and Monday. Wasn't too much complaints then about the fixture generator.

Liam O wrote: »
    They didn't know this time last month when fixtures were being selected and the League Cup fixtures were already known?

I don't think moaning about fixtures is something that should be done but it does seem strange that the manager whingeing the most last month has been handed a kinder Christmas fixture list than his competitors despite being in fewer competitions.

What are you on about? By being in fewer competitions, of course you’re going to get kinder fixtures - that’s the very point I made and something like 13 PL clubs weren’t in the League Cup this week so got a break. It was the complete opposite for Liverpool last year when they were in the World Club Championship & League Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Mad to think Vardy is 34 next month. Just goes to show the improvements in sports science and training methods these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

plibige wrote: »
    Mad to think Vardy is 34 next month. Just goes to show the improvements in sports science and training methods these days

He's only a professional 10 years, has to be playing a part. I don't know how much attention he pays to Sports science!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

plibige wrote: »

Coffee and Red Bull before games works for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement