Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liverpool in complete 1st gear yet still top. Makes a nice change from 25 points clear though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Liamalone wrote: »
    Big Sam saves Christmas!

tenor-1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

:confused:

Liverpool have not played in 9 days, there were league Cup games midweek featuring United, City, Spurs and Arsenal, ergo, a lighter festive schedule for LFC and an embarrassing draw against relegation candidates.

Festive schedule started boxing day and to be pragmatic it is 8 days since Liverpool played Palace, also not the 1st time Liverpool have drawn against relegation candidates this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Draws away to City and Liverpool in the last 3 games for WBA and now they have Allardyce in they will scrap out enough points to just about to stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's an embarrassing result from Liverpool in fairness. They must be livid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

West Brom probably couldn't believe their luck that they were still in the game without having much to defend either. Liverpool played into their hands in an incredible fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Time to support Wolves for the next few hours

Not sure what United have to do with it tbh. They dropped points against a top 4 rival, not against a team second from bottom. Lfc are also league and world champions, United have been struggling for quite some time.

It shows the different levels in quality. United have their full squad available and get knocked out of the CL and draw with Leicester who have no right to be a top 4 rival. Liverpool draw at home with 3 main CBs injured and the Arsenal and United fans are already celebrating as if they just beat Liverpool themselves. As bad a result as that is for Liverpool, they are still top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It shows the different levels in quality. United have their full squad available and get knocked out of the CL and draw with Leicester who have no right to be a top 4 rival. Liverpool draw at home with 3 main CBs injured and the Arsenal and United fans are already celebrating as if they just beat Liverpool themselves. As bad a result as that is for Liverpool, they are still top of the league.

You do realise Liverpool were playing West Brom there and not United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RasTa wrote: »
    That's am embarrassing result from Liverpool in fairness. They must be livid.

West Brom played to their game plan very well, made it very awkward, and earned their point. I’d say ‘pool are hugely disappointed no doubt, but embarrassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That's an embarrassing result from Liverpool in fairness. They must be livid.

Jesus, I can't stand Liverpool but it's hardly embarrassing. Just waiting for someone to say they bottled it next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dfx- wrote: »
    West Brom probably couldn't believe their luck that they were still in the game without having much to defend either. Liverpool played into their hands in an incredible fashion.

Liverpool only had 2 shots on target in the 90 minutes.

8-10 wrote: »
    Time to support Wolves for the next few hours

Same here be nice to finish the weekend in top four same points away from top of table as we started after a tough game.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You do realise Liverpool were playing West Brom there and not United?

Really? I thought it was the 17th of January....:rolleyes:

Read my post again and then reply.

If anyones embarassed it should be those who still ramble on about Allardyce being "outdated".

Dara O'Shea was a beast.

• Advertisement

Liverpool only had 2 shots on target in the 90 minutes.

Great news hopefully its a sign for things to come.

Really? I thought it was the 17th of January....:rolleyes:

Read my post again and then reply.

I just dont get why United are on top of your thoughts after that result.

If anyones embarassed it should be those who still ramble on about Allardyce being "outdated".

Dara O'Shea was a beast.

Indeed... he’s very effective. Horrible for fans to watch, but a dream for any owner/chairman of a struggling club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Dara O'Shea was a beast.

Agreed, what you see is what you get with Big Sam.

He won't bring you European success or challenging for titles but if you need points to stay up in the PL - he's your man.

His record is unreal. Foolish to bet against them going down. WBA currently 12/5 to stay up. Decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

thebaz wrote: »
    a few shot me down last night for saying liverpool might slip - diodnt take long - ha

I didn't as I posted similar. But did anyone else hear the frustration in klopps voice re Matip. Like ' if it's not one thing it's another with him '

• Advertisement

I just dont get why United are on top of your thoughts after that result.

Might have something to do with the team the person I replied to supports. Do I need to spell everything out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Draws away to City and Liverpool in the last 3 games for WBA and now they have Allardyce in they will scrap out enough points to just about to stay up.

please no, with Burnley looking like they will stay up , love to see the back of the anti-football lot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Might have something to do with the team the person I replied to supports. Do I need to spell everything out?

Tone it back please. The team that posters support is not the topic, keep it on topic.

thebaz wrote: »
    please no, with Burnley looking like they will stay up , love to see the back of the anti-football lot

Until football changes to start awarding wins to the team with most possesion there is no anti-football.

Its still the results that matter not the pretty factor.

Pretty sure the current bottom 3 will be relegated. Sheffield have no form, Fulham have no tactics and West Brom have no talent. Burnley and Brighton will struggle but they'll survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

That's points against Chelsea, City and Liverpool so far this season for the Baggies. Along with conceding last min against Spurs and 1-0 loss to United with some questionable vital VAR decisions. It feels oddly similar to following Ireland with all the moral victory draws against better opposition! If can sort out the performances for the actual winnable games we might stand a chance.

cj maxx wrote: »
    I didn't as I posted similar. But did anyone else hear the frustration in klopps voice re Matip. Like ' if it's not one thing it's another with him '

Same as Keïta, basically said unfortunately he's injured. Again.

Also great stat from Twitter if anyone feels like they want to be embarrassed:

Sam Allardyce has now won more points at Anfield (5) since April 2017 than all 'Big Six' teams combined (4).

A third of all points won by visiting teams in that timeframe have been by teams managed by Allardyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pretty sure the current bottom 3 will be relegated. Sheffield have no form, Fulham have no tactics and West Brom have no talent. Burnley and Brighton will struggle but they'll survive.

They have Big Sam though. He doesn't get relegated.

Same as Keïta, basically said unfortunately he's injured. Again.

Also great stat from Twitter if anyone feels like they want to be embarrassed:

Sam Allardyce has now won more points at Anfield (5) since April 2017 than all 'Big Six' teams combined (4).

A third of all points won by visiting teams in that timeframe have been by teams managed by Allardyce

Hugely impressive in fairness. It may not be pretty, but it works.

It’s still a big ask, but it’s early enough in the season that he has time - think he’ll keep them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As i said in the Liverpool thread Sam is Liverpool's kryptonite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

As i said in the Liverpool thread Sam is Liverpool's kryptonite

I think everyone has been Big Sam'd at this stage.

But his record at Anfield v Klopp is impressive to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

jayo26 wrote: »
    What an absolute glorious Christmas present thanks sam you're the real father christmas.

Great game for us neutrals tho i thought west brom played a blinder second half, hard to believe they were playing the team top of the table.

Amazing what Liverpool dropping points makes people say. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Amazing what Liverpool dropping points makes people say. :D

Probably more so the pints than the points :pac:

What do people think the target for top 4 points will be? 72+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

jayo26 wrote: »
    What an absolute glorious Christmas present thanks sam you're the real father christmas.

Great game for us neutrals tho i thought west brom played a blinder second half, hard to believe they were playing the team top of the table.

Seems like the only present you got, not surprising really.

Probably more so the pints than the points :pac:

Maybe. Frustrating game, no doubt, but at the final whistle I just shrugged my shoulders and thought "That's what Allerdyce gives you". If we got pumped 0-3 I'd say something but a draw is hardly a disaster. On to Newcastle next.

Maybe. Frustrating game, no doubt, but at the final whistle I just shrugged my shoulders and thought "That's what Allerdyce gives you". If we got pumped 0-3 I'd say something but a draw is hardly a disaster. On to Newcastle next.

Aye. Game should have been dead and buried by HT.

If only 1-0 up against Big Sam always feels like a suckerpunch will land

Another example of a goalkeeper jumping on his toes just as shot is coming in. Made it too hard for him to react and get across

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Jesus, I can't stand Liverpool but it's hardly embarrassing. Just waiting for someone to say they bottled it next.

The supposedly best team in the league after a week's rest drawing at home to WBA whom are 2nd from bottom to me is the definition of embarrassing

• Advertisement

The supposedly best team in the league after a week's rest drawing at home to WBA whom are 2nd from bottom to me is the definition of embarrassing

Are they the best team in the league? What is the supposedly?

Aye. Game should have been dead and buried by HT.

If only 1-0 up against Big Sam always feels like a suckerpunch will land

At halftime, Danny Higginbottom (on NBC?) said he can see WBA getting a point and I kind of agreed with him. No shock when the goal came - unfortunately a bad decision from Jones was enough to do it. Sam will pick up results like these throughout the season and will be enough to hit 40-45 points or thereabouts.

That will be decided when the season is finished.

Defending champions and currently top... so, eh, no, obvs? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

podence made a meal out of that challenge anyway

Defending champions and currently top... so, eh, no, obvs? :confused:

It's not hard. I dunno why you keep on mentioning the fact your top in December as it has no relevance, like the defending champions part.

• Advertisement

It's not hard. I dunno why you keep on mentioning the fact your top in December as it has no relevance, like the defending champions part.

So by your logic if a team wins the league the last day of the season there is infact no best team?

Because the league would be over. So it's technically last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Same with United. Dropping points against Leicester when they should have had it won. Only difference is Liverpool are still top of the league with 3 main centre backs out while United have an 80 million pound flop in Maguire starting every game.

Rattled.........:D:D

That will be decided when the season is finished.

So why would you say supposedly then?

Who do you suppose is best?

So by your logic if a team wins the league the last day of the season there is infact no best team?

Because the league would be over. So it's technically last season.

Good point made here, please continue.

So why would you say supposedly then?

You know how much I hate Liverpool so giving them any praise isn't allowed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement