Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Man City V Chelsea is on Sky on Sunday, i wonder if they will call that game off now

you would think so. the reasons for todays postponement will still apply on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

osarusan wrote: »
    Something as contagious as Covid is different to an injury list of hamstrings and ankle sprains and the like.

The Premier League said earlier in the season that unless a club has less than 14 available players in their senior & u21 squad, then the games should go ahead as planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

osarusan wrote: »
    Something as contagious as Covid is different to an injury list of hamstrings and ankle sprains and the like.

No the PL gave reasons as to when a game can be called off because of Covid before the season and I'm nearly sure it was stated that games would be called off when teams have less than 14 players.

Edit: beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fitz* wrote: »
    The Premier League said earlier in the season that unless a club has less than 14 available players in their senior & u21 squad, then the games should go ahead as planned.

Newcastle game set precedent didn't it? So once they did it, this was always going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How Many Coronavirus Cases Would It Take Before A Premier League Game Is Postponed?
    According to Premier League rules, fixtures will go ahead as planned as long as teams have 14 players available for selection. That includes not only players in the first team squad, but also the professionals in their U21 squad.

This makes any postponements very unlikely, unless a huge amount of footballers at a given club contract the virus.

Should a club refuse to partake in a fixture, they could face strict punishment. Such cases will be judged by an independent panel, where sanctions such as fines and points deductions would be on the table.

https://www.balls.ie/premier-league/premier-league-coronavirus-rules-449786

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Everton v Man City: Premier League fixture postponed after visitors report coronavirus cases

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55468576

Newcastle game set precedent didn't it? So once they did it, this was always going to happen

they should just adopt the rugby stance. tough ****, here is a 28-0 loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Does this now also put the Newcastle Liverpool game at risk?

Newcastle had that bad outbreak and soon after they played Man City, now Man City have a bad outbreak. Maybe it's just coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It says In brackets (and still are really)

Try re-reading. I said Everton are not currently challenging for trophies or threatened by relegation. I didn't say they are currently mid table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

When Newcastle had their game against Aston Villa cancelled, their game the following weekend went ahead so doesn't mean the Man City vs Chelsea game is off.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Does this now also put the Newcastle Liverpool game at risk?

Newcastle had that bad outbreak and soon after they played Man City, now Man City have a bad outbreak. Maybe it's just coincidence.

Why would that game be off?
    Newcastle have played 4 PL games since the cancelled match against Villa.

Or have some more Newcastle or Liverpool players tested positive that I haven't heard about?

City trying to get there games postponed till they sign Messi on January 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Nothing to do with not having 14 available players.
    It's been called off on public health grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Man City training ground closed for "an indeterminate period" due to COVID-19 cases that led to tonight's game at Everton being called off.

Team won't be training at all.

City: "The security of the bubble compromised, there posed a risk that the virus could spread further"

They will have to play Sunday and probably forfeit the league cup game against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Nothing to do with not having 14 available players.
    It's been called off on public health grounds

Yeah the Premier League themselves have called it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just call the league off as it stands now :pac:

Not surprised and the PL are partly to blame when you see players hugging at full time and jumping on top of each other in celebrations. Managers not wearing masks.

Then you see them spraying the goalposts at HT.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I think you have a good point but the problem for Sam is that Everton were in a place (and still are really) where challenging for trophies or being relegated are not really on the table. Being mid table and playing negatively is probably grim for fans with high expectations.
    Try re-reading. I said Everton are not currently challenging for trophies or threatened by relegation. I didn't say they are currently mid table.

Being mid table and playing negatively

I think you're even confusing yourself mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why would that game be off?
    Newcastle have played 4 PL games since the cancelled match against Villa.

Or have some more Newcastle or Liverpool players tested positive that I haven't heard about?

Newcastle played City two days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not surprised and the PL are partly to blame when you see players hugging at full time and jumping on top of each other in celebrations. Managers not wearing masks.

Then you see them spraying the goalposts at HT.

lol these guys train together on a daily basis and you think celebrations are to blame? Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wouls i be right in saying Evertone would have been without James, Allen and Richalison?

Being mid table and playing negatively

I think you're even confusing yourself mate

I'm clearly referring to Big Sam's time at the club. The part in brackets is in brackets because it's an aside, not the main point. Bloody hell.

Wouls i be right in saying Evertone would have been without James, Allen and Richalison?

Yeh it's benefited us. Also without Digne

AdamD wrote: »
    lol these guys train together on a daily basis and you think celebrations are to blame? Christ.

It shows that they aren't really taking precautions if they're doing that in front of the cameras and hugging opponents is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It shows that they aren't really taking precautions if they're doing that in front of the cameras and hugging opponents is ridiculous.

Don't watch rugby so.

RasTa wrote: »
    Don't watch rugby so.

don't worry i won't

Newcastle played City two days ago

And have any of the Newcastle players tested positive since that game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its far more likely Kyle Walker brought into into the rest of the squad rather than any Newcastle player tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

City are blaming it on their stay in London last week, which was the epicenter of the new outbreak of the more contagious variant at the time. Newcastle players need re testing before they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

RasTa wrote: »
    Don't watch rugby so.

This is always sensible advice.

Jim Beglin with Ollie Watkins isn't far of Ian Rush lol

will we see the var pics for that goal? looked very close

ETA: goal given. still didnt see any stills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Giroud heads the ball better than he kicks it.

will we see the var pics for that goal? looked very close

ETA: goal given. still didnt see any stills

Showed them on Prime.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Showed them on Prime.

i'm on premier sports where the commentator made the judgement that the goal was fine as the defenders arm played giroud on side.

didn't think that was a thing.

anyway, i presume its a fine goal

i'm on premier sports where the commentator made the judgement that the goal was fine as the defenders arm played giroud on side.

didn't think that was a thing.

anyway, i presume its a fine goal

He was just onside looking at the lines Prime showed.

and villa equalise thru el ghazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anyone else think the Pulisic overhead should be looked at? Or, should have been anyway

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Anyone else think the Pulisic overhead should be looked at? Or, should have been anyway

for a red? he did catch yer man in the mouth. dont know what the rules are though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Much better angle of the Grealish collision there - good decision from the ref.

Don’t think there’s anything need on the Pulisic overhead in first half - clearly accidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Much better angle of the Grealish collision there - good decision from the ref.

Don’t think there’s anything need on the Pulisic overhead in first half - clearly accidental.

What the bejesus was Christensen doing out that far to make a collision with Graelish in the first place anyway? Lampard seems to really rate him, but he looks thoroughly rubbish every time I watch him. Has a bit of mobility alright, but has really poor defensive instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

why

for a red? he did catch yer man in the mouth. dont know what the rules are though

Possibly so. I know it's a genuine attempt to play the ball, but if you dont win the ball and catch the opponent in the face, surely falls into dangerous play.

Possibly so. I know it's a genuine attempt to play the ball, but if you dont win the ball and catch the opponent in the face, surely falls into dangerous play.

You shouldn't need to catch the opponent for something to fall into dangerous play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

you think bicycle kicks should be red cards

I actually feel bad for people who only watch football on TV and don't realise players are pretending to be injured when they go down

you think bicycle kicks should be red cards

I actually feel bad for people who only watch football on TV and don't realise players are pretending to be injured when they go down

Never said it should be, but just looked at.

Needless dig there too, good man

You shouldn't need to catch the opponent for something to fall into dangerous play.

Thatd make it a guaranteed review then, theyd be nearly out if the game

Any predictions for today lads? Some decent games.

Palace look dreadful lately but I can see them nicking something against Leicester. It's been awhile since Zaha had one of those amazing games.

Aston Villa have been quite impressive think they can also get a draw

Everton will probably be knackered as wouldn't be used to playing this many games closely. Considering missing some strong players I would have fancied us to get something if we had Richi/Digne playing. Altho City have been pretty facking shyte and we'll have our home fans which will be a big plus

3 draws today feck it!

Calls like that make me wish I still gambled :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Calls like that make me wish I still gambled :( :pac:

You hardly stopped becuase you were making too much money. Blind squirrel and all that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement