Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

brinty wrote: »
    You know, you might be onto something Shano ;)

Should I lump the mortgage on?

I don't like to say things are certain, but I reckon Paddys will pay out shortly. Easy 80/1

Would have hoped for better odds for top 4 but definitely not a 7/1 shout I don't think :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wow. This thread. Christ.

Anyway, City will win this league i think. Their balance is spot on right now, and their run is a dream.

This Sunday is huge, and I see 0-0 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's absolutely ****en wondeful to be honest.

Given how you seem to have become a diehard United fan the last week or so thats unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Toby has a particular posting style that is better not taken too seriously.

The style can be rather annoying. Maybe I'm too old for all this. Twitter has enough of that carry on but I suppose it's everywhere on the internet regardless of the topic/sport/team supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nalz wrote: »
    The style can be rather annoying. Maybe I'm too old for all this. Twitter has enough of that carry on but I suppose it's everywhere on the internet regardless of the topic/sport/team supported.

Meh its better than the blatant trolling that goes on and gives you a bit of a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

rob316 wrote: »
    Meh its better than the blatant trolling that goes on and gives you a bit of a laugh.

Meh? It would would be meh if that style wasnt as frequent as it was. Everyone enjoys a laugh and banter now and again, but gets old if it's near all the fúcking time! You'd like boards to be a level or three above Facebook, Twitter etc the vast majority of the time wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Do the Mods have any opinions on all these 'conspiracy theory' posts? They're seriously derailing the thread in my opinion. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense knows there's no league wide conspiracy going on with officials to fix results in favour of some teams and against others. Sometimes decisions go in a teams favour. Sometimes they go against them. Its as simple as that. Last night was a perfect example in the Utd Burnley game in that both teams were unlucky with some VAR decisions and lucky with other VAR decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/petercrouch/status/1349099657247514625?s=19

Did not matter in end thankfully but least see support from footballers who least know their stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Do the Mods have any opinions on all these 'conspiracy theory' posts? They're seriously derailing the thread in my opinion. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense knows there's no league wide conspiracy going on with officials to fix results in favour of some teams and against others. Sometimes decisions go in a teams favour. Sometimes they go against them. Its as simple as that. Last night was a perfect example in the Utd Burnley game in that both teams were unlucky with some VAR decisions and lucky with other VAR decisions.

Mod: Yes mods would have an opinion.

Please report posts you feel are against the charter and or use PM to ask such questions rather than posting to ask in a thread. That kind of question could be viewed as interference in moderation or calling out a poster.

In terms of the question, I did review posts and thought responses to certain posts respectfully disagreed and some others were funny and in good spirit.

If any poster(s) was to continue making outlandish claims but with no evidence and refusing to engage with posters arguing against the claims, it would be against the points already covered by the charter:

Extract: If you want to post controversial opinion then you should be prepared to argue cogently and coherently in support of your argument. Repeating the same point over and over again without addressing counter arguments is not advisable. It is your responsibility to ensure that you contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean you have to agree with everyone else but you must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

Now, let us return to talking about the thread topic

Thank you

Edit: To help with moving on, I am removing a couple of non premier league related posts made between above note and the post I replied.

Expected wins for both City & Spurs will see 4 teams on 32 points.

4 points between 1st and 6th it's going to be tight this year for that european place considering Chelsea are 6 points behind that(26) and Arsenal 9 points behind(23)

Could probably expect Everton and Leicester to drop off a bit but both have looked decent in terms of competing for Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Expected wins for both City & Spurs will see 4 teams on 32 points.

4 points between 1st and 6th it's going to be tight this year for that european place considering Chelsea are 6 points behind that(26) and Arsenal 9 points behind(23)

Could probably expect Everton and Leicester to drop off a bit but both have looked decent in terms of competing for Europe

Last 3 seasons after 17 games the leaders have had 47,49& 47 points
    This year its 36

So not so much United have closed the gap rather the top teams have fallen off a cliff this season ,

Last 3 seasons after 17 games the leaders have had 47,49& 47 points
    This year its 36

So not so much United have closed the gap rather the top teams have fallen off a cliff this season ,

You're using somewhat anomaly seasons though to make that point. It was highly unlikely going to be maintained that it would be close to 100 point season regularly.

If you include the last 10 seasons

99 98 100 93 81 87 86 89 89 80. Average then is a 90 point season. Which is pretty high considering the skew of the last 3 seasons. Leicester obviously counter it somewhat though.

I suspect it will be around the 85 mark or so this season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You're using somewhat anomaly seasons though to make that point. It was highly unlikely going to be maintained that it would be close to 100 point season regularly.

If you include the last 10 seasons

99 98 100 93 81 87 86 89 89 80. Average then is a 90 point season. Which is pretty high considering the skew of the last 3 seasons. Leicester obviously counter it somewhat though.

I suspect it will be around the 85 mark or so this season as well.

Think it's always bouncing around a bit really... that Utd 80 was the absolute low point... the 5 or 6 years before it back to Mourinho's first at Chelsea were more like 87-95.

It's always hard to say what equates to a good league or bad league... is it better or worse if teams are getting lower points? Think it comes down to the manner of the games within the season really. I think we can all probably agree that despite how competitive things have been this year, the actual standard is low enough for the most part. A lot of teams are playing within themselves, and dropping points in games against comparatively poor opposition. It's exciting on paper as a result, but there's been a large number of really poor quality matches when you're sitting through them.

Think you're right on the points totals for this season, 85+ will probably win it. It's in City's hands from here, given that they look the only team capable of kicking into a higher gear at the moment. Still plenty to play though.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Think it's always bouncing around a bit really... that Utd 80 was the absolute low point... the 5 or 6 years before it back to Mourinho's first at Chelsea were more like 87-95.

It's always hard to say what equates to a good league or bad league... is it better or worse if teams are getting lower points? Think it comes down to the manner of the games within the season really. I think we can all probably agree that despite how competitive things have been this year, the actual standard is low enough for the most part. A lot of teams are playing within themselves, and dropping points in games against comparatively poor opposition. It's exciting on paper as a result, but there's been a large number of really poor quality matches when you're sitting through them.

I agree absolutely but the part I highlighted I think is usually the case. For comparsion, by saying the standard of Liverpool/City has dropped slightly this is true, but also other teams have improved Southampton / Everton / Villa.

Some teams will have bad seasons others will improve

I agree absolutely but the part I highlighted I think is usually the case. For comparsion, by saying the standard of Liverpool/City has dropped slightly this is true, but also other teams have improved Southampton / Everton / Villa.

Some teams will have bad seasons others will improve

That's definitely true... I suppose my point is that those improving teams only account for some of the overlap, while we also see a rubbish West Brom, a rubbish Newcastle, and a thoroughly average Fulham also taking points off Liverpool for instance.

It's those sorts of results that have really closed the gap and made things interesting on paper, but poor enough to watch in practice at times.

Have a feeling the latter half of the season will be a bit of a cracker though, as the drama and stakes build getting closer to the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't remember the last time I saw an indirect free kick in the penalty box upon seeing that one in the city game (or an indirect one for that matter)

I think they could clear up some of the lower end stuff by awarding a few more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Weepsie wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I saw an indirect free kick in the penalty box upon seeing that one in the city game (or an indirect one for that matter)

I think they could clear up some of the lower end stuff by awarding a few more of them.

It's the second one in a City game in 2 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SlickRic wrote: »

Anyway, City will win this league i think.

Sixth in the table this morning and still odds on for the title:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

adaminho wrote: »
    It's the second one in a City game in 2 weeks!

That one against chelsea ended up taking outside of the box weirdly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Newcastle are backing Steve Bruce so that probably means he'll be sacked soon

• Advertisement

Sixth in the table this morning and still odds on for the title:D

Right up there if they win their games in hand, which their form is moving them towards in fairness. Helps for them that one (or both) of Pool and Utd have to drop points this week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Right up there if they win their games in hand, which their form is moving them towards in fairness. Helps for them that one (or both) of Pool and Utd have to drop points this week too.

With the money City have spent they should be walking the league this year. Although the same argument could be made about United, but City actually had a thought process behind their spending.

Their poor spell was well timed, a goal up against Brighton now, there's no way they'll drop points from here. You'd have to expect they'd be top in a couple of weeks from now and they'll be pretty much unmolested for the rest of the season.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

20 to go and Brighton seeing a lot of the ball, still only 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A brighton throw quickly turns into a City penalty

Edit: blazed over emphatically

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poor header back, pen City

Blown well over the bar by Sterling. Thought De Bruyne took them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

sandwiched now :D

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Blown well over the bar by Sterling. Thought De Bruyne took them?

Feckin' Sterling.. .doing everything he can to mess up my already-fucked FF team!

Quality cross, quality finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

Spurs back in the hunt if they see this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

Brilliant from Lookman.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Spurs back in the hunt if they see this out.

Jinxed 'em!

Great goal in fairness, Fulham been pushing on well for the past while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Score an early goal, concede a late goal. Happened a few times for Spurs.
    It's very hard to hold a 1 nil lead for the majority of a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

JPA wrote: »
    Score an early goal, concede a late goal. Happened a few times for Spurs.
    It's very hard to hold a 1 nil lead for the majority of a match.

Apparently under Jose that is the way they have been going, shots in second half are way down on their first half shots this season, get a goal and try to defend it seems to be the objective a lot of the time. Son scores that one off the post, its game over though, fine margins.

Apparently under Jose that is the way they have been going, shots in second half are way down on their first half shots this season, get a goal and try to defend it seems to be the objective a lot of the time. Son scores that one off the post, its game over though, fine margins.

Such a strange man. He really seems to get in his own way by doing things in the most Jose-way possible. Like winning isn't enough, he only wants to win if its in a way that justifies his ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Everton vs Villa expected to be called off according to The Athletic.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Everton vs Villa expected to be called off according to The Athletic.

Poor auld Everton, between this and the Man City game they're gonna run into some seriously chaotic fixture congestion down the line, through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Poor auld Everton, between this and the Man City game they're gonna run into some seriously chaotic fixture congestion down the line, through no fault of their own.

The only thing is they are not in Europe and have a few injuries at the moment so it might work out ok for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The only thing is they are not in Europe and have a few injuries at the moment so it might work out ok for them

Yep, patched together a team to play v Wolves so missing this game may help, particulalry with how Villa are plauying as well.

Yep, patched together a team to play v Wolves so missing this game may help, particulalry with how Villa are plauying as well.

True - anything that helps James, DCL, and Richarlison get closer to full health and fitness may be worth the congestion. Different team with those 3 firing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's easy to say in hindsight but I thought that was a shocking midfield picked by Mourinho tonight. Pure stodge. Got what he deserved.

Mourinho should have kept quiet until after the game. He did Fulhams team talk for them. They fully deserved their draw.

I seen Mark Clattenberg making a fool of himself as usual

He said Klopp is ridiculous to suggest Man Utd get more favourable decisions than everyone else That only happened in the Fergie era

Then goes on to say how himself and ref's where more likely to give United penalties and decisions because of Fergie,
    Because of the Aura around United , then says it was "eased" not gone "eased" This guy was ref in that time ,

So basically something couldn't possible happen , then goes on to say it did happen in the past and he was involved in it

How can he not see the stupidity in his own comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Everton vs Villa postponed.

Bit of a farce that Villa are allowed to play the cup game vs Liverpool with a bunch of kids but doing so in the PL isn't on. What does it say for the cup if the authorities were happy for Villa to play their kids in that but don't tell them to do the same in the PL? Either playing out an official competitive fixture with the youth team is ok, or it is not.

Bit of a farce that Villa are allowed to play the cup game vs Liverpool with a bunch of kids but doing so in the PL isn't on. What does it say for the cup if the authorities were happy for Villa to play their kids in that but don't tell them to do the same in the PL? Either playing out an official competitive fixture with the youth team is ok, or it is not.

I don't see the problem with it ,
    Fa Cup is a side show after all but the main thing is games have to be played so the next round can take place which is not the case in the league

Imagine in may United v Liverpool and there is a covid outbreak and United have to play there under 19s and Liverpool beat them to win the title or two teams fighting relegation

(swap them with any two teams its not fair) the Premier league can rearrange games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Different rules for each competition.

I don't see the problem with it ,
    Fa Cup is a side show after all but the main thing is games have to be played so the next round can take place which is not the case in the league

Imagine in may United v Liverpool and there is a covid outbreak and United have to play there under 19s and Liverpool beat them to win the title or two teams fighting relegation

(swap them with any two teams its not fair) the Premier league can rearrange games

So the Fa don't care about the FA Cup, which is essentially what you are saying? They don't care if a team fields a youth side to get the match over and done with.

If they have to postpone the PL game, but couldn't do the same for the FA Cup, they should have simply forced Villa to forfeit the FA Cup game. You can either play a match or you can't.

So the Fa don't care about the FA Cup, which is essentially what you are saying? They don't care if a team fields a youth side to get the match over and done with.

If they have to postpone the PL game, but couldn't do the same for the FA Cup, they should have simply forced Villa to forfeit the FA Cup game. You can either play a match or you can't.

Its not that they don't care but they realise where they stand,

Don't forget before the pandemic even started in December 2019 Liveprool had to play there youths in a Carling cup game ,

Cups don't have as many options to re-arrange fixtures ,

If league games can be re-arranged they will ,

Whats the difference in United's opening game against Burnley being postponed because United hadn't got a proper rest due to the Europa Cup ? Where you calling United to forfeit that game ? no because like everyone else you could see it could be re-arranged just like this game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is it not as basic as the fact that in the PL there is a defined squad that players can be selected from and if a team can't select 14 from that set squad then game it postponed, whereas the FA cup isn't restricted by this, so a club can name a team of U18's to play.

Its not that they don't care but they realise where they stand,

Don't forget before the pandemic even started in December 2019 Liveprool had to play there youths in a Carling cup game ,

Cups don't have as many options to re-arrange fixtures ,

If league games can be re-arranged they will ,

Whats the difference in United's opening game against Burnley being postponed because United hadn't got a proper rest due to the Europa Cup ? Where you calling United to forfeit that game ? no because like everyone else you could see it could be re-arranged just like this game ,

The difference is there needed to be a minimum time between last season's fixture and next season's fixture. Burnley game fell inside the minimum.

Arguably the United performances and Palace (Loss), Brighton (lucky win) and Spurs (humiliating) were in part caused by United having 4 days of training between their mandatory break and their first game.

United didn't moan that the Palace or Brighton games should be postponed, which would be in line with your argument.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement