Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

CSF wrote: »
    I never understand when people put Salah in here, given how selfish he is on the ball. Makes him a great fantasy football player, but his attacking teammates must despise him.

I would have Salah in my fantasy football team much quicker as a manager, but I’d have Mane in my actual football team much quicker.

But this is what I'm talking about? You're judging Salah on one metric but Mane on another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

adaminho wrote: »
    But this is what I'm talking about? You're judging Salah on one metric but Mane on another?

The metric I’m judging them both on is how good I think they are at football. I think that when goals and assists gets thrown around in these kinds of conversations (unless you can do what Ronaldo and Messi did) you’re probably falling further away from a good conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It’s more stats in terms of carries into the box that you’d be looking at for that position.

Sounds like you need some stats.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-jack-grealish-messi-mbappe-19606611

Grealish has more carries into the penalty box than Messi, Mbappe and Tottenham.

JPA wrote: »
    Sounds like you need some stats.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-jack-grealish-messi-mbappe-19606611

Grealish has more carries into the penalty box than Messi, Mbappe and Tottenham.

Haha, I’d actually seen that, but felt that I couldn’t post it for fear of a hundred ‘look how many goals Bruno has’ responses.

I’d only referenced ball carrying as it is Bruno’s biggest weakness IMO.

The metric I’m judging them both on is how good I think they are at football. I think that when goals and assists gets thrown around in these kinds of conversations (unless you can do what Ronaldo and Messi did) you’re probably falling further away from a good conversation.

Yeah, you're probably right! We'll never agree on who we think as best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Liam O wrote: »
    Be hard for Bruno to win a golden boot playing in midfield in Portugal and Spain.

His team have the most points in the league since he joined if that helps. A team he is the defacto leader of.

Unsure what defensive qualities you can measure.

Look, I love Kane as a player.he is the best striker in the league and probably second to Lewandowski in Europe as a pure striker. This is not the hill to die on. You don't win manager of the month because you made some great substitutions and your tactics looked good. You get it for winning games. Players winning games is their number 1 objective. United are on the crest of a wave now off Bruno's back and have a hype machine in full drive. Same as earlier in the season it was all Son and Kane. These things go in cycles.

Yea beat striker in the league with the highest amount of assists. I think that aspect of his game is getting overlooked here.
    I know it’s hard to measure his defensive contribution but it is noticeable during the games.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I bet your have Kane PJs on and bedcovers and curtains in your bedroom.

Kane top class when he's injured.!!

Lol! Sorry I meant his overall contribution was top quality even in the season he was injured for a prolonged period!!
    Haven’t got the curtains just yet lol!!!!

This is the problem with stats! Anyone can pull out a stat and say X player is the best! I would say the best two players in the league right now are Salah and KDB. I would say that as both have a record in the league going back a few years. The form players this year are Bruno, Salah and Kdb and Kane!

And Kane’s record going back is overlooked?

Yeah, you're probably right! We'll never agree on who we think as best.

Part of the fun I guess, and we will have a completely different one next year!!!

tom1ie wrote: »
    And Kane’s record going back is overlooked?

Its not overlooked! Is your argument that Kane's goal scoring and assist record is better than anyone else? There are plenty of players up for player of the year!

• Advertisement

Its not overlooked! Is your argument that Kane's goal scoring and assist record is better than anyone else? There are plenty of players up for player of the year!

My argument is Kane is the best player in the league.

tom1ie wrote: »
    My argument is Kane is the best player in the league.

And that's your argument but you haven't put a case forward for it? Are you saying this season? 3 Years? Don't get me wrong he's up there but I'd have Salah, KDB, Bruno and Mane and maybe even Son ahead of him!

Kanes loyalty to Spurs with no silverware is admirable. However, I think Spurs need to win something this season, or he'll be off to pick up trophies elsewhere. City the obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

“The gloves are off now and we will do it my way, We were absolutely frigging hopeless the other night; we were absolutely ****e. Unfortunately that’s happened a little too often in my 18 months here; it was nowhere near good enough for the challenge ahead. Maybe it’s a mentality thing.”

Bruce throwing his players under the bus...this will end well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

retalivity wrote: »
    Bruve throwing his players under the bus...this will end well

I’ve seen this movie before with Bruce and it’s safe to say that it never gets better. He’s a dinosaur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Funny to see Sam interviewed on Football Focus about players celebrating after scoring..... Hasn't been an issue at West Brom since he's taken over anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

retalivity wrote: »
    Bruve throwing his players under the bus...this will end well

I don't get how this is throwing players under the bus. He doesn't mention any names and says 'we' all the time including himself in it and says 'I'm' going to have to improve.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I don't get how this is throwing players under the bus. He doesn't mention any names and says 'we' all the time including himself in it and says 'I'm' going to have to improve.
    'The gloves are off now and we will do it my way'

This would be the sentence that would lead me to believe he was throwing the players under the bus and kind of trying to distance himself from it.

Although I largely believe this also, because this is what he used to do at Villa when things got bad too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some flip flop game at Wolves

'The gloves are off now and we will do it my way'

This would be the sentence that would lead me to believe he was throwing the players under the bus and kind of trying to distance himself from it.

Although I largely believe this also, because this is what he used to do at Villa when things got bad too.

Fair enough.

As much as I want Bruce to do well I actually don't think he's a good manager at this level. It's hard to defend his record and hard to understand why he would get a job in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Big Sam doing his thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Nice goal for Brighton there, but Leeds weak defensively again, knife through hot butter springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ardent wrote: »
    Big Sam doing his thing

Winning 3-2 is not his thing, but maybe the start of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ardent wrote: »
    Big Sam doing his thing

1 win with 4 losses...not the best thing to have right now

Nice goal for Brighton there, but Leeds weak defensively again, knife through hot butter springs to mind.

Topped off by some top notch ball watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Mushy wrote: »
    1 win with 4 losses...not the best thing to have right now

Yer forgetting the point against Liverpool.

1 win, 1 draw and 3 losses is his league return thus far.

I did, was focusing on first win too much. Would need to do better than 4 points from 15 to stay up

Great result today albeit Wolves looked poor for much of the game. Still 4 points on the road at Anfield and Molineux is good going. Their defence looks really exposed at times. Think Sam will be looking for a defensive midfielder. Definitely needs a couple of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bielsa and Nuno found out, pair of bengal lancers:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

The Elland road pitch is like a ploughed field. A bit of a throwback to the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Is Connolly injured for Brighton or has he been dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is Connolly injured for Brighton or has he been dropped?

Out injured for another 2 weeks or so.

Very smart by Fulham to put a big white shiny display at the Chelsea end so that we can't see the goal post and crossbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Very smart by Fulham to put a big white shiny display at the Chelsea end so that we can't see the goal post and crossbar.

Well they need to play into it in the second half so not sure they are trying to gain an advantage...

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Well they need to play into it in the second half so not sure they are trying to gain an advantage...

I'm talking from the tv viewing perspective. I was being sarcastic but it's a bit irritating and you'd think Sky would have the remove it behind the goal.

• Advertisement

Chelsea utterly dominant, just camped around the Fulham box... seems like the chelsea plan is just to have the fullbacks hang out by the sideline to whip in crosses, and everrryone else hangs out in and around the box trying to not get in each others ways.

Christ... Fulham miss a bit of a sitter on the break. Very good play to create the chance, with a fairly abysmal shot at the end of it from Cavaleiro.

Coming into it a bit more towards the end of the half though.

Chelsea a few times in a row now doing some really stupid attempts at playing out from the back - each time giving it away really cheaply.

<edit>
    Aaand, a red card for Fulham. Hard to complain about it too much, was reckless alright.
    All action last 5 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well that was ****en stupid, completely out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fulham has them selves right in it for 10 mins there and should have taken the lead. Stupid tackle now for a red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

Seemed to be his right knee that caught the shin. Harsh. Probably deserved it more for making the actual tackle than the tackle itself. Stupid.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Seemed to be his right knee that caught the shin. Harsh. Probably deserved it more for making the actual tackle than the tackle itself. Stupid.

I think it's a red even if he makes no contact at all to be honest. He had no control of himself. Reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fulham had a chance of getting something from the game before that red card and all, which makes it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Another meh performance from us so far. The chance Fulham nearly scored from was lovely play. Still can’t really see what we are trying to do.

Fulham are very well organised. Only conceded 3 in their last 6 games.

Mendy not looking as solid these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

That should be the end of that. I was hoping Fulham might hold onto a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jaysus, I think Lampard has broken Werner. He'd have eaten up these chances the last 2-3 years. Fulham were very good, but Chelsea just look very, very averaage which that squad should never look

If Roman gets trigger happy and brings in a better manager, they'll be a very real threat. I feel like he doesn't have style down at all yet and keeps making changes that set them back in the search of something that works.

Why wasn’t Abraham booked for knocking the ball out of the Fulham player’s hands when he was rushing to take a throw? I know they’ve replaxed that rule but wasn’t Wan Bisaku booked a few weeks ago for trying to stop a free kick being taken quickly?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Jaysus, I think Lampard has broken Werner. He'd have eaten up these chances the last 2-3 years. Fulham were very good, but Chelsea just look very, very averaage which that squad should never look
    I think defensively they don’t have great players. Good? Yes. But as good as Liverpool, City, Spurs and even Utd? I don’t think so. Serious issues in CM as well as he doesn’t have a regular pairing there and can’t seem to decide beside Kovacic and Jorginho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I know they won the return fixture last year, but after the hammering they got last year I'd like Southampton to win again tonight against Leicester to win back some more bragging rights.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement