Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are ye guys just making up wierd narratives again or were Chelsea hotly tipped to win the league this year, short odds in the bookies?

3rd fav's at 9/1 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

RasTa wrote: »
    3rd fav's at 9/1 or something.

So not exactly favoured, just sorta assumed to best of the rest after 1.champions elect and 2.the greatest team of all time. Seems fair enough considering the investment but risky considering the lack of a defence. Should be an exciting season for them I suppose, like Leeds.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah miles behind Liverpool at 15/8 or so and City fav's.

You can still get 100/1 on the mighty Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

klose wrote: »
    Lampard saying the red card was not a definite one for him, not sure about that one mate.

am watching cowboys v falcons here atm, and ive yet to see a better tackle, frank should lay off the special brownies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Leicester v Burnley live free now on BBC one..

Come on you Burnley dudes.
    Irish intereste long in defense and Robbie Brady on the wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

davycc wrote: »
    Leicester v Burnley live free now on BBC one..

Come on you Burnley dudes.
    Irish intereste long in defense and Robbie Brady on the wing

Dunne is Irish too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats Shano getting the remortgage ASAP.

Are ye guys just making up wierd narratives again or were Chelsea hotly tipped to win the league this year, short odds in the bookies?

3rd favs I think, but with the money spent the owner will be expecting more than another rebuild season. If one of the major trophies aren't bagged Lampard is toast imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats Shano getting the remortgage ASAP.

Easy peasy fellas.

Although if we can get a win against Palace who look quite decent and always a difficult fixture for Everton. I'd be hopeful of somewhat challenging for top 4.

Start of the season my expectation would be challenging for Europa.

Just happy to see us playing decent football tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Like every season it will be a brilliant achievement if Dyche can keep burnley up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Handball?

Well taken Chris wood

chips1234 wrote: »
    am watching cowboys v falcons here atm, and ive yet to see a better tackle, frank should lay off the special brownies.

Gotta be NFL redzone surely! Hours and hours of and free glorious football!!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Come on you Burnleyzz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

davycc wrote: »
    Well taken Chris wood

former Leicester player too!

Gotta be NFL redzone surely! Hours and hours of and free glorious football!!

ooooor i can suffer as a cowboys fan, i know what one i prefer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't understand why City have been made favourites considering how far they were behind Liverpool last season and they've not resolved their defensive problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Lampard is in a similar position to Solskjaer. Ex-player who has no right to be in the job he is in, based on his managerial record. When you look at the managers Chelsea have had since Abramovich came in, he really stands out as the least qualified. Even Di Matteo had won automatic promotion from the championship as a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every big well funded team of talented players starts the season with the intention of winning the league :) They didn't spend 200m for third that's for sure. Chelsea would have spent that money regardless of who the manager was but it's Lampards "bad luck" that he is the one who'll carry the can. It's a job on a scale that's not really suitable for a tyro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kepa has to go down not only as one of the biggest flops but as one of the worst goalkeepers the premier league has ever seen.

Just so so bad week in week out. Poor Willy on the bench :p

He's definitely not a good enough keeper generally speaking - but I think Frank needs to take a decent share of blame for the depths Kepa's dropped to. Over the past year Kepa's save percentage has plummeted from his career average - he looks much much worse than he did under Sarri for instance. And, interestingly, Caballero is the same. In the period he came in last season, he actually had quite similar figures to Kepa, again much lower than his career stats.

The way Frank has Chelsea playing, the chances they give up are really really dangerous - like keeping them playing out from the back today despite being a man down. They were very very lucky not to be opened up a few times after losing possession deep within their half. And last season they gave up the most chances on the counter attack in the league by a distance. So again, giving up chances that favour the attackers over the keeper. That's all setup stuff. Derby had the same issues under Frank the previous year too.

So Kepa's still not good enough, but Frank is doing him no favours, and the guys confidence is clearly completely shot now after a year of this stuff. I've a feeling this will be a serious dip in an otherwise reasonably average career when all's said and done.

chips1234 wrote: »
    ooooor i can suffer as a cowboys fan, i know what one i prefer :D

Well, I guess it is what you deserve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

dmigsy wrote: »
    Lampard is in a similar position to Solskjaer. Ex-player who has no right to be in the job he is in, based on his managerial record. When you look at the managers Chelsea have had since Abramovich came in, he really stands out as the least qualified. Even Di Matteo had won automatic promotion from the championship as a manager.

KsiqZB.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of PL football.

Hopefully Wolves can round it off perfectly

retalivity wrote: »
    KsiqZB.gif

That's almost the most damning one - even with as little as he had achieved, he was a lot more qualified and experienced than Frank, with a few league and cup titles won in Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Perhaps the exception that proves the rule, but Zizou is doing pretty well (and did in his first spell too) despite not having one anything previously before first taking over....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brady off injured and on comes Pieters. Burnley have got an absolutely horrible squad these days. I don't have a clue who Brownhill and Dunne are.

Baggly wrote: »
    Perhaps the exception that proves the rule, but Zizou is doing pretty well (and did in his first spell too) despite not having one anything previously before first taking over....

He walked into a team who had already won a European cup and had great players in their peak. I'm not sure he will rebuild a great side outside the domestic league as City having a bad season brushed them aside twice with absolute ease.

I have my doubts about Lampard but his team were miles off Liverpool/City and there recruitment was strange as they spent nearly all of their money in attack when the defence needed real investment.

Yeah, like for every Pep and Zizou that excels in their first job, there are hundreds of failures.

The expectation has to be that going with someone completely unproven won't work.

I think there also has to be an expectation that chopping and changing usually doesnt work either. It didnt work for Chelsea more often than it did; and hasnt worked for United at all.

I think its a fallacy that an experienced man at the helm is always a necessity. Dont get much more experienced than some of the former incumbents at both those clubs, and yet success hasnt followed the billing of the manager.

Still early days this season imo.

I think there also has to be an expectation that chopping and changing usually doesnt work either. It didnt work for Chelsea more often than it did; and hasnt worked for United at all.

I think its a fallacy that an experienced man at the helm is always a necessity. Dont get much more experienced than some of the former incumbents at both those clubs, and yet success hasnt followed the billing of the manager.

Still early days this season imo.

Yeah, I mean the reality is that you need to do the work to find the right manager. Every club and every set of circumstances is different. Any random experienced man is no more of a guarantee of success - you need someone with the right experience for this job, and the right plan for how to use your squad. It seems like one of those weird archaic practices in football where they go for a name, rather than a fit. Even the thing of the rebuild that each manager is afforded to make it 'their team' - surely what you want is someone that comes in with a proposal to do more than the previous guy with what you already have.

Using Zizou as an example - he's been brilliant for Madrid, and it suits him perfectly. They're all hugely talented players that don't necessarily need improving. They need motivating, and man management, and there's few more naturally inspiring men than Zidane. But if you're, say, West Ham, and you can choose between Dyche or Zidane, I daresay Dyche will make more of an impact to that type of team, despite Zidane having leagues and champions leagues under his belt. Horses for courses.

Fair points!

• Advertisement

All about the fullbacks for Leicester - 2 assists from Castagne, and a goal from Justin.

Interesting that that was one of their main strengths last season too, even though the two players were different. Speaks to excellent pinpointed recruitment bringing in new players that recreate the qualities of the old ones.

Weird one for them to have spent so much on Castagne though - their main summer signing - wonder what happens when Pereira is eventually fit again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Weird one for them to have spent so much on Castagne though - their main summer signing - wonder what happens when Pereira is eventually fit again...

A question all fantasy football players are wondering as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

All about the fullbacks for Leicester - 2 assists from Castagne, and a goal from Justin.

Interesting that that was one of their main strengths last season too, even though the two players were different. Speaks to excellent pinpointed recruitment bringing in new players that recreate the qualities of the old ones.

Castagne can play left-back too. I'd say he'll switch over when Pereira is back. Justin is mainly a RB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Castagne was signed as Chilwell's replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ERG89 wrote: »
    Brady off injured and on comes Pieters. Burnley have got an absolutely horrible squad these days. I don't have a clue who Brownhill and Dunne are.

Must be something to Richard:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

3.9 goals per game average by my count after today (assuming this game finishes 4-2) . Surely therell be a significant drop off or are we in a new era of goals,goals,goals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

3.9 goals per game average by my count after today (assuming this game finishes 4-2) . Surely therell be a significant drop off or are we in a new era of goals,goals,goals :)

Are attacking players moving decisively ahead in their arms race with defenders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A sign of good recruitment. And coaching. As they are able to continue their system, without massive change only personnel. Ajax are the best example of it, 50 years.

So if it continues, kudos to Leicester. I didn't think that Rodgers would be able to do it so quickly. I'm sure he will be glad to prove me wrong this time :)

dmigsy wrote: »
    Castagne can play left-back too. I'd say he'll switch over when Pereira is back. Justin is mainly a RB too.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Castagne was signed as Chilwell's replacement.

He looks so good on the right though, a constant threat with his right foot, 2 assists and a goal in 2 games. Seems a shame to lose that on the left side with him having to come back inside onto his dominant foot. Can't help but think of how hamstrung Liverpool were when Robertson's left foot was replaced by Milner's right whenever Robbo was rested/injured. And it's a lot to spend on a lad who's effectively gonna play in his second position, and who earned that value predominantly playing as a right wing back at Atalanta.

Interesting one to watch anyway!

Well, I guess it is what you deserve :)

ahem, how bout dem cowboys SB :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I see that Wolves are linked with Semedo from Barcelona.

Jorge Mendes has a massive association with Wolves.
    Jorge Mendes has Nuno Espírito Santo as a client.
    Jorge Mendes has Jose Mourinho as a client.
    Jorge Mendes has Matt Doherty as a client.
    Jorge Mendes has Nelson Semedo as a client.

All about those commissions.

Shano will like this.

Gibbs looks to have said “I’ll do it again” as he walks to the sideline and Coleman then follows the 30-year-old and seems to say:

“No, you won’t do it again. Who you talking to you’ll do it again? Hard man. F****** hard man.”

https://twitter.com/Nashville_EFC/status/1307679843606200321?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Shano will like this.

Gibbs looks to have said “I’ll do it again” as he walks to the sideline and Coleman then follows the 30-year-old and seems to say:

“No, you won’t do it again. Who you talking to you’ll do it again? Hard man. F****** hard man.”

https://twitter.com/Nashville_EFC/status/1307679843606200321?s=20

Roy was right https://youtu.be/9HyM190a7VU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Alan Shearer: "Chelsea will never win the league with Kepa in goal."

Me: They won't even challenge for a league with Lampard in charge anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

DVDM93 wrote: »

Ronaldo was a teenager for a lot of them games to be fair.

magma69 wrote: »
    Ronaldo was a teenager for a lot of them games to be fair.

he was indeed, two of the best to grace this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ERG89 wrote: »
    Alan Shearer: "Chelsea will never win the league with Kepa in goal."

Me: They won't even challenge for a league with Lampard in charge anyway.

He said that Liverpool and City went and spent big on keepers to help them win the league and Chelsea will now do the same (or something along those lines). He must have forgotten how much Chelsea paid for Kepa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He said that Liverpool and City went and spent big on keepers to help them win the league and Chelsea will now do the same (or something along those lines). He must have forgotten how much Chelsea paid for Kepa.
    To be fair, Shearer forgets half the stuff he says himself. He’s terrible. Great player, bad manager, awful pundit.

• Advertisement

Every big well funded team of talented players starts the season with the intention of winning the league :) They didn't spend 200m for third that's for sure. Chelsea would have spent that money regardless of who the manager was but it's Lampards "bad luck" that he is the one who'll carry the can. It's a job on a scale that's not really suitable for a tyro.

ok so fake narratives, thanks for clearing that up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement