Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yep, United are clearly paying too much to have three keepers and Lee Grant. That is why Romero looks to be off.

De Gea earns a huge wage. To United at least it made sense to give him a new contract to stay instead of him leaving for free like Herrera. When players have contracts running out they have power to ask for big wages in lieu of a transfer fee.

Romero was a free transfer back in the day.

Henderson is a youth product and again had some bargaining power and United have effectively paid him a premium to compensate for not sending him on loan or selling to another club. His situation is the real anomaly.

Edit: The De Gea and Henderson situation is very unusual and could be a mess as time passes due to the wages De Gea is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Romero would be a great signing for Everton, better option than Pickford given JP's current form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

steady on Wuff Wuff we don't want Everton improving that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hows it a stat?

And did you look into it anymore?

Where is the link to where you saw it?

from what ive read it would mean romero is on 175k a week which is hard to believe

Where I read it had

Romero 90k
    Henderson 120k
    De Gea 390

As my post says "Surely that can't be true"

To be fair they have 4 very good goal keepers

Henderson , Romero and even Grant would all be as good if not better than any no 2 in the premier league

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Romero would be a great signing for Everton, better option than Pickford given JP's current form

I was amazed Sheffield United didn't ask for him on loan when Henderson went back ( maybe they did) ,He's a proper good goal keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool's contracts are heavily performance based reportedly. There must be large bonuses paid out for winning the league and CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote: »
    Liverpool's contracts are heavily performance based reportedly. There must be large bonuses paid out for winning the league and CL.

Liverpool will probably charge players if they win a domestic cup under Klopp

rob316 wrote: »

Imagine that is the best way to do it. Good guaranteed pay and rewards for on pitch success.

I imagine such incentives are incremental also in line with the prize money clubs get for where they finish or progress in a competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think what's more baffling is that people still have this idea that players are paid weekly.

Liam O wrote: »
    I think what's more baffling is that people still have this idea that players are paid weekly.

I'd imagine they are paid monthly but players wages are reportedly weekly so thats why its talked like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Liam O wrote: »

It's reported as weekly by the media as most people relate to being paid weekly. It's simply their reported yearly salary divided by 52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's reported as weekly by the media as most people relate to being paid weekly. It's simply their reported yearly salary divided by 52.

And therein lies the problem. Nobody knows what variables make up a yearly salary and yet it is reported as fact.

Different facts in every outlet mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭FluffPiece

I've read on a few occasions that the liverpool reported wages include all staff and not just playing staff, where other clubs some of the wage reports are only player staff.

FluffPiece wrote: »
    I've read on a few occasions that the liverpool reported wages include all staff and not just playing staff, where other clubs some of the wage reports are only player staff.

I have read Man City have some back office staff paid like that alright

Out of date now but just as samples

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1178562662248177664?s=20

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1178562669705609216?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Brighton the better team so far in the early kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jesus maupay the balls

Some cool peno that is.

Well deserved united are awful, been pressed and outfought all over the pitch. Again I have to question the pursuit of Sancho, they need a centre back and defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fantastic penalty from Maupay, 1-0 Brighton and well deserved.

Bruno is very lucky not to get a second yellow for giving away the penalty too, very cynical foul when you see it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

NNNNNEEEEEAAAAALLLLL MMMMMAAAAAUUUUUPPPPPAAAAAYYYYY with a paneka penalty!!!!!

BBBBBRRRRRUUUUUNNNNNOOOOO MMMMMIIIIIGGGGGUUUUUEEEEELLLLLL BNBBBOOOOORRRRRGGGGGEEEEESSSSSS FFFFFEEEEERRRRRNNNNNAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDEEEEESSSSSS giving away the penalty.

• Advertisement

maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

DVDM93 wrote: »
    maguire.

I'd be disappointed if I was a Brighton fan with that goal. Maguire had a good grip on Dunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I don't support Man Utd but something that just annoys me looking at Solskjaer on the bench, he's just sat there looking freezing and that he'd rather be anywhere else in the world, not very inspiring looking at all.

Panrich wrote: »
    I'd be disappointed if I was a Brighton fan with that goal. Maguire had a good grip on Dunk.

Maguire got out of jail with that one.

Both hands on his shoulder?
    Very strange it wasn't checked even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lewis Dunk must be shorter odds to score an OG than most top strikers are to score at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More inconsistent VAR.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Fantastic penalty from Maupay, 1-0 Brighton and well deserved.

Bruno is very lucky not to get a second yellow for giving away the penalty too, very cynical foul when you see it again.

If that's a yellow then youd end up with 1 v 1 by half time. He was stupid to realise he wasnt going to get there first too late, that's about the extent of punishment that was deserved.

Utd are poor though, very lucky the scoreline is as it is. I really wish leeds could have a go at them sooner rather than later

Mushy wrote: »
    I really wish leeds could have a go at them sooner rather than later

The same thoughts I have currently. Want to play United soon, while they are still like this and have the current manager in charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fitz* wrote: »
    The same thoughts I have currently. Want to play United soon, while they are still like this and have the current manager in charge.

Reckon unless they get near the bottom half, Ole isn't going anywhere.

That's a terrible call, absolutely terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazing.

Exactly the same as the one Pogba got aginst Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

No fan of United, but great use of VAR there, correct call

Surprised the referee overruled that.

Looked like the same challenge as the one on Werner last weekend and a penalty was awarded. I had no complaints then. Pogba had no complaints today either that a penalty awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beautiful

Some goal now. Poor White

Not very good defending by White there. Lets him cut inside and then flings himself to the turf twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Connolly trying to emotionally blackmail the ref, old head/young shoulders combo:P

Brighton having no luck today.

Brighton having no luck today.

Brighton have hit the post more times than United have had shots in total. When your luck is out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They have gotten a penalty and United had two goals disallowed?

Not disputing any of those decisions, just figure if they had no luck here they probably would have gotten the raw end on at least one of those decisions no?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

De Gea has finally figured out how to deal with crosses.

Throw himself on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ridiculously soft booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thought would’ve be a brilliant goal.

5th time Brighton have hit the post today! That's a sure sign that you're luck is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

5 times brighton have hit the woodwork?!

Fitz* wrote: »
    5th time Brighton have hit the post today! That's a sure sign that you're luck is out

What's the record I wonder?

Solly March must have blazed 3 or 4 decent chances a mile over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

United gonna take those 3 points and run. Incredible how they got them

• Advertisement

What's the record I wonder?

It sounds like Brighton broke the record today.

Also, the woodwork has made more saves this season than DDG!

https://twitter.com/Orbinho/status/1309844291712364544?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement