Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Straight at De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I thought he put it wide. Lol. The absolute very least they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

United gonna take those 3 points and run. Incredible how they got them

My bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Deserved equaliser for Brighton.

Booom!

Surprised he didn’t put it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Brighton with a well deserved equaliser. Great fight in them.

VAR checking for handball at the very end here

Sounds like a penalty to United incoming lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

SSSSSOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOMMMMMOOOOONNNNN BBBBBEEEEENNNNNJJJJKAAAAAMMMMMIIIIIINNNNM MMMMMAAAAAARRRRRCCCCCHHHHH!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Did the ref not blow the final whistle before checking VAR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You have to laugh. Most bizarre game I've seen in ages.

Where did he get the 2 extra minutes from? Brighton equalised right on 95

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

eigrod wrote: »
    Where did he get the 2 extra minutes from? Brighton equalised right on 95

God knows

3-2 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Brunooooooooooooooooo

Brunooooooooooooooooo

Brunooooooooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DVDM93 wrote: »
    SSSSSOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOMMMMMOOOOONNNNN BBBBBEEEEENNNNNJJJJKAAAAAMMMMMIIIIIINNNNM MMMMMAAAAAARRRRRCCCCCHHHHH!!!!!

BRRRRRRRUUUUNNNNOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Never in doubt Bruno

Lallana has no idea what a handball is:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

You were saying?

• Advertisement

It was definitely a penalty, but Brighton can rightly feel pissed with that since the ref blew for full time and only then went to consult VAR. He effectively restarted the game.

Solskjaer delighted with his days work, which is good.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It was definitely a penalty, but Brighton can rightly feel pissed with that since the ref blew for full time and only then went to consult VAR. He effectively restarted the game.

Can you blow the final whistle and restart the game? Genuinely don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lmao

A harsh result for Brighton there, deserved at least a draw, played very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This.

I can't understand how that can work. That is going to be one hell of a mess for them to get out of and rightly so, if what I'm reading is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

The handball was before the final whistle was blown so its rightly a peno. Its not any kind of controversy

NITRO95 wrote: »
    The handball was before the final whistle was blown so its rightly a peno. Its not any kind of controversy

Ya its not really that hard to figure out:pac:

not ideal, but it keeps OGS in the job for longer, could be better, could be worse I suppose.

I'm disappointed United won but would be even more disappointed if OGS's job was at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great result for Ole lifts the pressure off him a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Going to be a very long season for united it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Dude this is quite sad at this stage.... thought someone should let u know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Ya its not really that hard to figure out:pac:

Same way a referee can send off players in the tunnel in spite of the "final whistle" being blown. The game wasnt over. He didn't restart anything. But let them have their fun claiming all sorts

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Same way a referee can send off players in the tunnel in spite of the "final whistle" being blown. The game wasnt over. He didn't restart anything. But let them have their fun claiming all sorts

One of life great mysteries :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This.

I can't understand how that can work. That is going to be one hell of a mess for them to get out of and rightly so, if what I'm reading is true.

It is farcical, but it was known that this would be a problem. What's the time limit for making a change after the full time whistle? An offside ruling a goal out five minutes later?

It should be a basic tenet of the game that all on pitch decisions are made before the full time whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Rock77 wrote: »

It's been happening here for years, it's always been sad but I can see why he does it

This.

Just read about something similar happening in Germany a couple of years ago with VAR awarding a penalty after the halftime whistle went. Obviously HT isn’t as final as the fulltime whistle but not much more was made of it, except for understandable complaints from the aggrieved team.

I guess it’s within the rules so by the looks of it. Still a controversial one though.

This.

I doubt it. Villa are still in the premier league due to a poor refereeing decision and that was just glossed over. This will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I was just going to ask the same question, how long after the final whistle can the referee change his mind and restart the game?

If he watches the game on MOTD, can he restart the game again with one second remaining?

Rather than the handball I think Brighton will be more wondering where the extra time came from seeing as they scored in the 95th minute and there were no real stoppages in added time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rather than the handball I think Brighton will be more wondering where the extra time came from seeing as they scored in the 95th minute and there were no real stoppages in added time.

Other than you know, the referenced goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Amazing game. Man Utd totally out-played and scrape a lucky win.
    Brighton 18 shots against 7.
    The shots on target was 5-3 so doesn't count Trossard hitting both posts and the crossbar, as well as the other two shots hitting the woodwork.
    Brighton out-thought them and out-played them, but amazingly only led for about 90 seconds.
    United were slower all over the pitch except for Rashford and Greenwood.
    Could prove to be a massive 3 points because if Brighton play like that at home teams will suffer.

On the penalties, I thought the last one was a definite, Pogba on Connolly was not, but if the referee is going to give a free out for Maguire falling over and getting run over by Wan Bissaka, then its a penalty when he pushes over Connolly and tries to grab his jersey on the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Fitz* wrote: »
    I was just going to ask the same question, how long after the final whistle can the referee change his mind and restart the game?

If he watches the game on MOTD, can he restart the game again with one second remaining?

Nah within 3 business days. You ask stupid questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Seems the var issues are getting solved this year, some good quick calls and cant really complain about any of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Extra time is always added after a goal is scored to account for the celebrations. And refs will nearly always allow a corner to be taken even when it's gone passed the indicated time. Remember its a minimum of x minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

That’s easy, always the same with added time...

When it’s ‘your’ team (generic you, not you in particular) and they score after the allotted time it’s because ‘that’s the minimum to be added, not the maximum’

When it’s not ‘your’ team it’s exactly the allotted time and not a second more.

but don’t let that stop ye, you support the right team so you can stir as much as you like without fear of consequences:)

Rock77 wrote: »

It is, I agree with you Rock.

But I only picked it up at the tail end of last season, it's been happening in here for years as another poster has since pointed out.

Why is it only an issue for you now and wasn't before?

Iago wrote: »
    That’s easy, always the same with added time...

When it’s ‘your’ team (generic you, not you in particular) and they score after the allotted time it’s because ‘that’s the minimum to be added, not the maximum’

When it’s not ‘your’ team it’s exactly the allotted time and not a second more.

but don’t let that stop ye, you support the right team so you can stir as much as you like without fear of consequences:)

I have no idea what any of that word salad means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I doubt it. Villa are still in the premier league due to a poor refereeing decision and that was just glossed over. This will be the same.
    Its not the same. When the ref blows the final whistle, its supposed to be the end of the game.

If, as is being said, the ref blew the final whistle then went back and warded the penalty, its a slippery slope. When does the retrospective reffing stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I have no idea what any of that word salad means.

Hardly surprising, once you start reading at a post-primary level you’ll figure it out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement