Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai have overwhelmingly negative view of Travellers - survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Cue Martin Collins of Pavee Point to comment on this survey and blame everyone but his own lawless people.I have never heard him comment on why Travellers go to their own family weddings and funerals armed with slash hooks,hurleys,baseball bats,guns, machetes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I welcome the publication of this report. It's good that official Ireland is forced to acknowledge that travellers are not liked. If you were to rely on the Irish Times and RTE you would think that there was widespread love and sympathy for travellers as a group that have had a hard lot. Opinions in the real world are so different. It's the dishonesty of the official PC line that bugs me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cue Martin Collins of Pavee Point to comment on this survey and blame everyone but his own lawless people.I have never heard him comment on why Travellers go to their own people's family weddings and funerals armed with slash hooks,hurleys,baseball bats,guns, machetes, etc.

No normal person would but supposedly we aren't allowed to discuss or state the obvious, they are protected now more then ever and use the race card all the time.

If they were to contribute to society in some positive way that would be great but I don't believe I'll ever see it in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Maybe the Gardai...like the rest of us (& the law abiding travellers) are sick of upset people reporting their dogs stolen.

If travellers want to change the image they've earned then change their ways and stop always just screaming for rights, free land and special ethic status......return a few beloved dogs for a start!

boombang wrote: »
    I welcome the publication of this report. It's good that official Ireland is forced to acknowledge that travellers are not liked. If you were to rely on the Irish Times and RTE you would think that there was widespread love and sympathy for travellers as a group that have had a hard lot. Opinions in the real world are so different. It's the dishonesty of the official PC line that bugs me the most.

Well that absolutely loved getting snapped with your one cash..... She wasn't poor she stated just homless, she wanted her 4ever home and cried loud enough and got it.....

• Advertisement

shipposter wrote: »
    I also hate travellers

I don't. I hate traveller culture.

Travellers, themselves, should be treated on an individual basis. I've taught adult literacy classes to Travellers, and quite a few of them are lovely people, just dealt a bad hand in life. The same could easily be said for a variety of working class people I know who are just as rough, have done time, etc. Hard life.

The mistake of Irish society and governments is the idea that we should support Travellers in their cultural lifestyle. Instead, we should be doing away with this primitive culture, and pushing Travellers into becoming Irish people.

As long as there is the "Traveller" category, then they will continue to be outside of society, and have little interest in joining with Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What the traveller community needs, is a proper role model that encourages/promotes education...

Sock of hearing "we can't get jobs" well you don't have a junior cert, you can't read or write... effectively it their parents fault for not ensuring they get to school and do the nessesary work...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Funny how 'they' are trying to lump in the travellers with the Romanian gypsies when those two groups probably hate each other.

When the Roma first showed up I'm told that our indigenious ethnic minority referred to them as "jews" for some reason.

No love was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

What is the British police approach like to Irish Travellers? Is it just a case of the police having a hands off policy and letting them be like it is here?

No, they actually do manage to move them on, unlike here. The town where my family live dug a kind of moat to stop them parking caravans. This was after the last lot moved, having stolen the internet cabling, and smearing human faeces all over the local playground.
    I can’t imagine why they are so despised....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sure they have a traveller in the senate now, she set up travellers pride which happens to be exactly the same as the LGBT movement.

Over the years I've caught them stealing, attempt at getting into houses which have footage of, intimidated at home and at work, threats, so much more.

A lot are big into drug dealing now too.

She is involved in groups that help traveller women in abusive relationships and also an LGBT traveller group so at least she is willing to admit her culture has problems and is trying to reform from within too.

My whole problem with the ethnic minority status is as one of the above posts points out and our new senator shows that when they do get an education and engage in society they are no better or worse than the rest of us and are accepted.
    Many aspects of Irish culture are different I for instance see my working class culture as very different to the upper class people in my city or the D4 people and people with my address on a CV do also get discriminated against jobs wise but still non of those cultures should be considered an ethnic minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Multipass wrote: »
    No, they actually do manage to move them on, unlike here. The town where my family live dug a kind of moat to stop them parking caravans. This was after the last lot moved, having stolen the internet cabling, and smearing human faeces all over the local playground.
    I can’t imagine why they are so despised....

Yea sure they moved them from that Something Farm place, a huge illegal traveller site, they do much better then the laws over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Why are the results of a survey that was carried out between 2012-2014 of a limited cohort of Gardaí only newsworthy now?
    Insp McInerney interviewed 182 gardaí from across the organisation, comprising 111 ELOs and 71 frontline gardaí, between 2012 and 2014.

What actual news is this release distracting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    What the traveller community needs, is a proper role model that encourages/promotes education...

Sock of hearing "we can't get jobs" well you don't have a junior cert, you can't read or write... effectively it their parents fault for not ensuring they get to school and do the nessesary work...

The biggest problem is that the same people who "can't get jobs" because they lack education or literacy will then proceed to have a rake of kids who they will by and large then remove from education after or in many cases before primary school is completed - allowing the cycle to repeat itself. Even when the parents wish them to go on to finish secondary school, often extended family see it as an affront to their culture (a sort of "they think they're better than us" mentality) and especially in the case of girls often attempt to physically remove them from formal education.

On the settled side the problem is that when this happens, there is rarely any follow up from the school (who are often happy enough to be rid of Travellers at the school anyway) or any attempt to enforce the child's right to an education by the State - because if anyone else tried to take a kid out of school before 12 Tulsa would rightly be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

My sister is in retail.

She has very little interaction with travellers as they prefer not to go via the checkout when they pick up goods.

That sadly is factual in many retail stores and a reason why travellers are disposed by retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Bambi wrote: »
    When the Roma first showed up I'm told that our indigenious ethnic minority referred to them as "jews" for some reason.

No love was lost.

Used to work with Roma and even when caught red handed doing something they shouldn't be doing their script was to immediately blame "Irish gypsies" for whatever damage or theft was caused.

They don't like each other at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The biggest problem is that the same people who "can't get jobs" because they lack education or literacy will then proceed to have a rake of kids who they will by and large then remove from education after or in many cases before primary school is completed - allowing the cycle to repeat itself. Even when the parents wish them to go on to finish secondary school, often extended family see it as an affront to their culture (a sort of "they think they're better than us" mentality) and especially in the case of girls often attempt to physically remove them from formal education.

On the settled side the problem is that when this happens, there is rarely any follow up from the school (who are often happy enough to be rid of Travellers at the school anyway) or any attempt to enforce the child's right to an education by the State - because if anyone else tried to take a kid out of school before 12 Tulsa would rightly be all over it.

Also an element of fear, that there will likely be push back from the parents, and probable threats of violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They're not fond of people from counties different to their own either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

What can be done here?

Three simple as feck steps, which have probably been mentioned already.

1) Stop pulling kids out of school at 10-11. No, it is not de evil Settled people forcing your kids out. No, your kids arent being bullied endlessly in schools for being Travellers (most peoples anecdotes would speak to quite the contrary). The Traveling Communities general lack of education is a self imposed negative, its not been forced onto them by de evil Settled people.

2) Stop the feuding. No, you are not being pitted against each other by de evil Settled people. No, it is not a "noble pursuit to defend you families honour", its stupid and pathetic. Most businesses would be more inclined to accept you if there wasnt the risk that any funeral/wedding/random encounter in a pub/on the street will devolve into a dozens large armed brawl. And an end to these s*shows means no more callouts and fist fights (which somehow never seem to resolve the feuds, as theres always seems to be another one!), no more pulling your sons out of school and into a boxing club to train to "defend the families honour" or whatever, which leads them to believe thuggery and violence is how to interact with everyone, feud or no.

3) Clean. Your. Goddam. Sites. Every halting site I have seen looks like a dump, rubbish everywhere, and every spot where caravans have pulled up for a few weeks is strewn with bags of crap once they leave. Most official dumps allow you to bring in trailers of rubbish and dump it, so even if de evil Settled rubbish collections wont go near you , you can still clean your own mess up. People would be more inclined to interact with you if your home didnt look like on of those after pics from a disaster struck area. And no, de evil Settled people are not sneaking into your halting sites in the middle of the night to dump their rubbish!

There, three things that can be done now to help curb the negative image of Travellers, all enforced on themselves by themselves. Im not going to get into criminality because thats a far more complex topic than "Just stop robbing stuff!" as numerous people from all backgrounds do it. But we all know none of it will happen as it requires self reflection and acceptance that all the Travellers ills aren't due to de evil racist scumbag Guberment/Guards/Settled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bowie wrote: »
    They're not fond of people from counties different to their own either.

Or people related to them.
    Not keen about their girls having sex outside marriage, ok for the lads though.
    God help you if you're a traveller and gay.

All in all a very tolerant culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The sky is blue

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

the police don't like criminals ? good

who the fack though it was a good idea to run a survey to find this out ? how much did it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    No, your kids arent being bullied endlessly in schools for being Travellers (most peoples anecdotes would speak to quite the contrary). The Traveling Communities general lack of education is a self imposed negative, its not been forced onto them by de evil Settled people.

Who in their right mind would even look at a traveller funny, never mind bully them? I can't believe they are bullied in school, sorry.

It's written like it's the biggest shock of the century.....

Roma also... Sure I've been spat at by more of them and abused then anyone else in my job....

Roma assaulted a friend on a night out, then oy thing is they thought she was alone, the wife got involved so I'll say no more.... The wife wasn't taking it....

Who in their right mind would even look at a traveller funny, never mind bully them? I can't believe they are bullied in school, sorry.

Funnily I was bullied by them in school...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this is the new tactic by their spokespeople

cant stay in school because the settled people are bullying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What's new here. Same as the rest of us so.

For the overwhelming part travellers take a whole lot more from than they contribute to society.

They live in Ireland, one of the most fair and prosperous countries in the world. If they wanted to better themselves as a grouping they could instead of always fooking crying about being mistreated as they pillage the place.

I'd say less than 10% are alright. It's that grouping that need to sort their peers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

this is the new tactic by their spokespeople

cant stay in school because the settled people are bullying them

I'd sooner bully AJ Soprano ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

According to an article by the Times today, the results of a survey carried out within the Gardai shows overwhelmingly negative views of Travellers and Roma within the force.

This is a bit of a tough one - on the one hand, these lads and ladies are on the front lines having to deal with people from these groups everyday. These attitudes were likely not picked from the ether. And I'm not one to defend the "culture boss" stuff - you only have to take a look at the illiteracy, educational attainment, incarceration, drug use, teenage pregnancy, suicide and chronic joblessness rate within those communities to see that there is and has been a very serious problem with the culture they speak about.

On the other hand, if the people working for the State agency they are most likely to have contact with from an early stage in life already has a negative view of their entire group, what hope can there be of improved relations between settled and travelling people? What hope is there that there can be any future buy-in to society from these people?

What can be done here?

Who has a positive view of them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Travellers need to participate in society properly (which will never happen) instead of claiming prejudice when people don't tolerate their nonsense (which will never happen) and only then they will fit in to today's society (which will never happen).

• Advertisement

Except they are. By other pupils but mostly by some teachers. I went to a school which many Travellers attended, and you'd often see flare ups between the townies, and the Travellers. TBF the Travellers did tend to bring it upon themselves, but considering that this was 30 years ago, they would have been much poorer (as were most of us tbh). A few of the teachers also detested the Traveller students and didn't try to hide it, in class, or outside.

The truth is that as Travellers they set themselves apart from everyone else in appearance, and behavior. That will result with them being targeted by others. Simply human nature.

Advertisement