Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai have overwhelmingly negative view of Travellers - survey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Our country has failed these people. They are neglected and ostracised. A new way of embracing them into our society is needed, a 30 year plan. Starting off with educating them from an early age and bit by bit changing their mindset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Our country has failed these people. They are neglected and ostracised. A new way of embracing them into our society is needed, a 30 year plan. Starting off with educating them from an early age and bit by bit changing their mindset.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha brilliant

Let's piss away more resources.......

Leave them and with luck they'll feud themselves into extinction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Except they are. By other pupils but mostly by some teachers. I went to a school which many Travellers attended, and you'd often see flare ups between the townies, and the Travellers. TBF the Travellers did tend to bring it upon themselves, but considering that this was 30 years ago, they would have been much poorer (as were most of us tbh). A few of the teachers also detested the Traveller students and didn't try to hide it, in class, or outside.

The truth is that as Travellers they set themselves apart from everyone else in appearance, and behavior. That will result with them being targeted by others. Simply human nature.

Maybe back then, they are a different story nowadays. I really don't think anyone in their right mind would pick on a traveller in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Look at the state that they left the Curragh in.

Why am I paying for refuse services ?

If I did that I would expect a fine in court.

What is wrong with these people, why can't they conduct themselves properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

But it's their culture boss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

what about their responsibility as citizens of the state that houses feeds and clothes these people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Travellers have access to education same as the rest of us, the only thing preventing them from getting an education is their own parents and community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

We've tried that for years and it's failed. They don't want to change.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

By educating them from an early age- would that mean taking them as babies away from their families and society and then educating them or how would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

And was waiting for some touchy feely tripe like this to crop up, about how its societys fault or de evil Settled peoples fault or de Guberments fault :rolleyes:

I listed three ways their community can change themselves tomorrow, not only to appear to be trying to integrate more with Irish society as a whole, but betters themselves overall. It may sound exceedingly cynical, but why should Irish society spend more time, effort and money attempting to integrate a community that has flagrantly shown they have no inclination of changing their negative, self imposed flaws?

Who is it helping in the Travelling community by pulling their kids out of school so young, leaving them very poorly equipped for a future as they are barely literate? You see so few Travellers in university not because of de evil racist Settled people but because so very very few Travellers even make it to their LC!

Who is it helping when Travellers have to walk around armed in case they bump into the O'reillys or the Murphys that they have a feud with? Or funerals or weddings needing GARDAÍ F*****G PRESENCE at...for a funeral....because of the threat of open fights?

Who is it benefiting when they live in their own refuse, running serious risk of contagion from masses of flies or rats living right beside your houses?

Why o why is it always the Governemnt or society or the schools or whomever has to change, but never themselves? Any of those three changes would only benefit their culture and community, so why the reluctance to even appear to want to change?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Behave like animals and expect to get treated the same, in my personal experience of travellers most cant seem to live a normal life without stealing, feuding and killing each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Living in the west near where some travellers set up for the summer.

Their site was dusgusting... rubbish everywhere (which someone else will have to clean up)

They were seen going for drives to the countryside, throwing nappies out the window (which someone else will have to clean up)

Unfortunately, one passed away. They moved out 2 days later, where they set fire to the caravan (which someone else will have to clean up)

There have been many others camping this year, yet they managed to respect the area and tidy up after themselves.

As someone else said, there are issues in the travelling community which will taken generations to resolve.... schooling, crime, treatment of girls and women, fighting, feuds.

But from my own experiences, even if they were to keep the area they live/park-up clean, it would be one step to changing negative perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Behave like animals and expect to get treated the same, in my personal experience of travellers most cant seem to live a normal life without stealing, feuding and killing each other.

Animals behave a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

ebbsy wrote: »
    Look at the state that they left the Curragh in.

Happens every single year on the Curragh. I don't even want to know what the annual cost of the clean up is. Not exclusively the Curragh of course but its very visible to a lot of people there. Cleaning up these sites after themselves and not behaving violently toward anyone outside their group would vastly improve relations toward travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Every time I see a traveller thread on boards, I'm reminded of that poster who tried to claim settled people were dumping their rubbish in the halting sites. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Generic 'traveller bashing' is not welcome here. Either post in specific relation to the OP or dont post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Daz_ wrote: »
    Who has a positive view of them ?

They don't even have a positive view of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    According to an article by the Times today, the results of a survey carried out within the Gardai shows overwhelmingly negative views of Travellers and Roma within the force.

This is a bit of a tough one - on the one hand, these lads and ladies are on the front lines having to deal with people from these groups everyday. These attitudes were likely not picked from the ether. And I'm not one to defend the "culture boss" stuff - you only have to take a look at the illiteracy, educational attainment, incarceration, drug use, teenage pregnancy, suicide and chronic joblessness rate within those communities to see that there is and has been a very serious problem with the culture they speak about.

On the other hand, if the people working for the State agency they are most likely to have contact with from an early stage in life already has a negative view of their entire group, what hope can there be of improved relations between settled and travelling people? What hope is there that there can be any future buy-in to society from these people?

What can be done here?

Mod Note from post 79

Generic 'traveller bashing' is not welcome here. Either post in specific relation to the OP or dont post at all.

The article certainly lacks context, without reading the study, I don't know whether the study does as well, but I suspect the journalist was looking for a headline.

The question I have, is whether the attitudes of the Gardai are more favourable than those of society in general. That isn't provided in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

They like battering the crap out of one another, over represented in the prison population, Animal cruelty, don't give a flying f about the justice system.

60488424.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Or people related to them.
    Not keen about their girls having sex outside marriage, ok for the lads though.
    God help you if you're a traveller and gay.

All in all a very tolerant culture.

I was talking about Garda. I'm assuming you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Id imagine the first hand experience of these groups has only cemented their negative views.
    The only way for travellers to reform the views of them in society is for themselves as a community to actively stop participating in crime and violence. The state has done all it can, its time for them to take personal responsibility for how society correctly sees them.

You state the bleeding obvious in this post but of course all the Twitter lefties and worthies are in like flynn, demanding that the guards attend diversity workshops or some other b0ll0cks

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You state the bleeding obvious in this post but of course all the Twitter lefties and worthies are in like flynn, demanding that the guards attend diversity workshops or some other b0ll0cks

Mod

Is that being suggested here? Is it relevant to the OP? Do you have an opinion of your own?

Please get on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

boombang wrote: »
    I welcome the publication of this report. It's good that official Ireland is forced to acknowledge that travellers are not liked. If you were to rely on the Irish Times and RTE you would think that there was widespread love and sympathy for travellers as a group that have had a hard lot. Opinions in the real world are so different. It's the dishonesty of the official PC line that bugs me the most.

RTE will just aloofly claim that it's the guards that need to clean up their act

Travellers are an official minority and a minority can never be wrong in the mind's of the PC left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

Closest halting site to me is 8KM away and i can smell them from here.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    RTE will just aloofly claim that it's the guards that need to clean up their act

Travellers are an official minority and a minority can never be wrong in the mind's of the PC left
    regulators wrote: »
    Closest halting site to me is 8KM away and i can smell them from here.

Mod

Both of you can stay out of this thread thanks. Stay on topic please folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

What is the British police approach like to Irish Travellers? Is it just a case of the police having a hands off policy and letting them be like it is here?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/police-sheffield-admit-they-had-no-powers-stop-huge-gathering-willy-collins-funeral-2945445

"Following concerns about the funeral of Willy Collins South Yorkshire police and Sheffield City Council say social distancing measures are not enforceable by law and the police and council do not have the powers to stop large gatherings.

The funeral of a bare knuckle fighter dubbed the King of Sheffield on Saturday which packed the streets with mourners and led to road closures has led to concerns over social distancing."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pavee Point jumping in on the poll now. Can you imagine what anti-racism training would entail, how many hours and how much money they waste on it for it to be instantly render worthless as soon as a guard has to deal with their nonsense.

https://twitter.com/PaveePoint/status/1296420510683865092

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Varik wrote: »
    Pavee Point jumping in on the poll now. Can you imagine what anti-racism training would entail, how many hours and how much money they waste on it for it to be instantly render worthless as soon as a guard has to deal with their nonsense.

Just surprised it took that shower this long, maybe they were getting someone to explain what a Polll was

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Varik wrote: »

Nobody listens to Pavee Pointless, nobody. Absolute hypocrites and nothing else, not worth a single spec of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nobody listens to Pavee Pointless, nobody. Absolute hypocrites and nothing else, not worth a single spec of attention.

Totally agree but they’re being well funded with taxpayers money and that’s very annoying.

Advertisement