Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I saw the post last night and listened in at 1.00. The news was delivered by a woman in that bulletin. I'd say someone did a Muppet Show type "crosier pull" on him.

Edit: for clarity.

Ford Fiesta is talking about 1.00 tonight.

I'm talking about 1.00 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I keep missing his name.
    Just a theory (I'm serious) would be be visually impaired and reading by brail?
    I don't mean any offence, but the stop-start thing makes me think it might be something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's on again reading the news this morning.
    Truly shocking.
    He must know someone in RTE who got him the gig.
    I'm sure many better newsreaders were declined the job in favour of him

Ah, isn’t that how everyone gets a job in RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

sligojoek wrote: »
    I saw the post last night and listened in at 1.00. The news was delivered by a woman in that bulletin. I'd say someone did a Muppet Show type "crosier pull" on him.

Edit: for clarity.

Ford Fiesta is talking about 1.00 tonight.

I'm talking about 1.00 last night.

Yep on Sat night/Sun morning one of the regular newsreaders, Cathy Creegan did the 1am news after I heard that guy doing tge midnight news. His name is up thread.

Really cant believe he was on again as per ford fiesta's post.

Never thought of the visually impaired angle. Whatever the situation though you would expect a higher standard on the national radio station.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Boucher Hays should have been given the Drivetime slot. He’s much better than Wilson when filling in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Red Alert wrote: »
    Boucher Hays should have been given the Drivetime slot. He’s much better than Wilson when filling in.

I actually thought Boucher Hayse got Drivetime and was delighted when he presented it the other day but he obviously didn't. He would have been an excellent fit. Claire Byrne is very disappointing in the new Today slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not sure where to put this but I'm very curious about this Irish language show I've heard on for the few past saturday evening's now, consisting of what appears to be two women just having a chat about various things. Realising how terrible my irish is, but i can pick up very little of what they're actually saying but they appear to be having a whale of a time whatever it is.

Nothing against irish language shows whatsoever, just this particular format is puzzling me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Not sure where to put this but I'm very curious about this Irish language show I've heard on for the few past saturday evening's now, consisting of what appears to be two women just having a chat about various things. Realising how terrible my irish is, but i can pick up very little of what they're actually saying but they appear to be having a whale of a time whatever it is.

Nothing against irish language shows whatsoever, just this particular format is puzzling me a little.

The show is called 'Beo ar Éigean' (Alive, just about) where the three presenters chat about daily life or specific topics. Last night they were talking about times in history they would like to have been around for.

I think it's a great programme, particularly if you have a fairly fluent standard of Irish. The ladies are full of fun and energy and they are great storytellers. I love how they complement each other. At last we have an interesting radio show in Irish that isn't about current affairs, sport or music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I actually thought Boucher Hayse got Drivetime and was delighted when he presented it the other day but he obviously didn't. He would have been an excellent fit. Claire Byrne is very disappointing in the new Today slot.

Regarding Claire Byrne, I too find Her very disappointing. Personally I do enjoy the current affairs at that time, but CB just doesn’t do it for me. Only thing is the other choice-pat Kenny? No thanks!

I’I’m also not convinced by having 2 presenters on Drivetime, certainly not the 2 RTE picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The show is called 'Beo ar Éigean' (Alive, just about) where the three presenters chat about daily life or specific topics. Last night they were talking about times in history they would like to have been around for.

I think it's a great programme, particularly if you have a fairly fluent standard of Irish. The ladies are full of fun and energy and they are great storytellers. I love how they complement each other. At last we have an interesting radio show in Irish that isn't about current affairs, sport or music!

Go raibh maith agat. Was curious about it but once people are down with it and enjoying it, that's all that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe Duffy should do a whole Liveline as Gaeilge, he’s fluent.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Nadine O'Regan (formerly Today FM) covering on Late Date tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nadine O'Regan (formerly Today FM) covering on Late Date tonight

So an actual Radio presenter was on radio last night and not some content creator ? What a Novel idea lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why was tubridy not on radio this week ? seems better holidays than teachers. Is it just me or does Mary Wilson have an awful lot of a school principal thing going on? seems to have a half giving out tone the whole time? also matt cooper tries this on a lot, has a real teacher reaction to anything humerous, like wont ever ever laugh out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why was tubridy not on radio this week ? seems better holidays than teachers. Is it just me or does Mary Wilson have an awful lot of a school principal thing going on? seems to have a half giving out tone the whole time? also matt cooper tries this on a lot, has a real teacher reaction to anything humerous, like wont ever ever laugh out loud

Mary Wilson when presenting Drivetime had this annoying habit when interviewing someone of cutting across them. I see now that a change of programme hasn’t changed her annoying habit. Now Claire Byrne is us a race with Wilson as to who is the most annoying.

As for Tubridy? Oliver Callan does a great job covering- I wish it was his chow, not Tubridy’s.

Sarah McInerney is much more jovial on Drivetime with her co-host Cormac Ó h-Eadhra, than Mary Wilson was in the role solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Really dont enjoy listening to pompous Brian Dobson at 1pm, especially his habit of saying " very good" after each item. His predecessor now on morning Ireland was far easier to listen to. It seems as if Brian was moved to radio as lost his looks for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Sarah McInerney is much more jovial on Drivetime with her co-host Cormac Ó h-Eadhra, than Mary Wilson was in the role solo.

Should she have done some kind of split personality type thing.

Morning Ireland's Gavin Jennings presenting "The News at One" today. Usually presented by Brian Dobson.

I don't think Gavin has presented this slot before??.

It might have something to do with his Morning Ireland show appearances reduced, since the new the mostly female line up was announced with Mary Wilson and Aine Lawlor etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Morning Ireland's Gavin Jennings presenting "The News at One" today. Usually presented by Brian Dobson.

I don't think Gavin has presented this slot before??.

It might have something to do with his Morning Ireland show appearances reduced, since the new the mostly female line up was announced with Mary Wilson and Aine Lawlor etc..
    He said “good morning” introducing a guest earlier, corrected himself and said something like “it will take a while to get used to this”. Suggests he could be covering this slot a little more. Louise Byrne and Samantha Libreri both filling in on Morning Ireland this week, looks like 5 or 6 female presenters now with not a man in sight!

• Advertisement

Instead of the usual "Radio 1 replay" from 2am to 3am, this morning Late Date has been extended by an hour with Fiachna O'B live (covering for Cathal Murray).

Would they not have just relayed RTE Gold for this hour instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

amlinopta wrote: »
    He said “good morning” introducing a guest earlier, corrected himself and said something like “it will take a while to get used to this”. Suggests he could be covering this slot a little more. Louise Byrne and Samantha Libreri both filling in on Morning Ireland this week, looks like 5 or 6 female presenters now with not a man in sight!

I find it amazing that on a show with 5 regular presenters so an acerage commitment of 2 shows per week that they have had an extra presenter Louise Byrne the last 2 mornings. Mary Wilson was on but wgat about the other 4. I know Aine Lawlor also does The Week In Politics but dont think any of the others gave commitments in RTE apart from Morning Ireland.

I just wonder what is the going rate for a 2 prograammes a week morn8ng presenter in cash strapped RTE?

Clon63 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that on a show with 5 regular presenters so an acerage commitment of 2 shows per week that they have had an extra presenter Louise Byrne the last 2 mornings. Mary Wilson was on but wgat about the other 4. I know Aine Lawlor also does The Week In Politics but dont think any of the others gave commitments in RTE apart from Morning Ireland.

I just wonder what is the going rate for a 2 prograammes a week morn8ng presenter in cash strapped RTE?

I imagine it must be a job-sharing arrangement, with half normal pay. Some presenters may have personal concerns intents, like study, family member caring, or undergoing medical treatment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And no idea why they still have a news reader reading out headlines for 2 or 3 minutes. Surely the presenters could just do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

It goes to show that RTE aren't really cash strapped, they just pretend to be hoping the government will give them more money. The evening Drivetime slot managed fine with one presenter since it was called Today at Five 30 years ago but now all of a sudden it needs two, FFS

Instead of the usual "Radio 1 replay" from 2am to 3am, this morning Late Date has been extended by an hour with Fiachna O'B live (covering for Cathal Murray).

Would they not have just relayed RTE Gold for this hour instead?

They've done it arseways tonight.
    I turned on for Late Date but R1 Replay has been on since 1am apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭amlinopta

That's the nub of it really. I think Rachael English may have some form of job share or part time arrangement, she has written a couple of novels and seems to have stepped back from the full time set up when she presented in the evenings. But Gavin Jennings and his wife Audrey Carvill, Mary Wilson and Aine Lawlor? RTE Lifers on a full time gig I would say. And Louise Byrne, Samantha Libreri and others drafted in from the subs bench on a regular basis.

They've done it arseways tonight.
    I turned on for Late Date but R1 Replay has been on since 1am apparently.

Same sh*t tonight. At least Fíachna was honest about his Christmas show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

amlinopta wrote: »
    Gavin Jennings and his wife Audrey Carvill

Ah For Fuçk sake !!! Is there anybody in RTE who isn't related to someone else working in there?

• Advertisement

Louise Hegarty formerly of numerous radio stations such as 98FM and Today FM and currently in RTE continuity and TV weather, will be presenting Rising Time for the remainder of this week.

Advertisement