Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NK Management and RTE

Options
  • 20-08-2020 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Have put this in Current Affairs, but move if more suited to another topic.

There are plenty of threads about Rte, but I've never seen one involving NK Managment. A quick look at their "talent" and they have the majority of TV and Radio presenters.

When I'm flicking through the radio and hear the likes of Anna Geary (she's on Today FM, but gets plenty of work with RTE) and Donnacha O Callaghan (2fm) for example, I wonder how they were hired. Loads of others, just picked them off the top of my head.

So for independent stations its not an issue, but for our public broadcaster RTE, is it appropriate that all the top jobs to seemingly come from one talent management company? Does this outside company influence the running of RTE? Is it even an issue?

Personally, I think it all sums up what a "closed shop" RTE is.

Opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Of course it's a closed shop. Look at their "talent" roster and see how many of them appear on each others shows. You see the same faces appearing again and again on the likes of the Late Late for example. Maybe they should just change the name to the NK show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Okay, I'll bite. Is this very different from them having a union? Do you feel employees in certain jobs shouldn't be allowed to have a union, and if so why is TV presenter one of those?

That, of course, is not to say that the management isn't a soft touch, but the fact that lots of the presenters have the same representation isn't evidence of that. There isn't an infinite well of talent lining up for the Late Late Show. They need filler, and guess where that's going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In a country the size of Ireland, how many “top” talent agencies do you think we should have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

mikhail wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite. Is this very different from them having a union? Do you feel employees in certain jobs shouldn't be allowed to have a union, and if so why is TV presenter one of those?

That, of course, is not to say that the management isn't a soft touch, but the fact that lots of the presenters have the same representation isn't evidence of that. There isn't an infinite well of talent lining up for the Late Late Show. They need filler, and guess where that's going to come from?

Its like Louis Walsh to Eurovision.
    Tapping the same well over and over leaves us with poor quality and makes it hard for outsiders to break in.
    Say I manage some newcomer and I manage the presenter of a top show. My newcomer gets a guest slot, a segment to present. Eventually their own show. Thats a less obvious way we've Lottie Ryan for example or Ryan Tubirdy.
    It's the same with 'independent' production. With companies getting contracts that never went out to tender.
    Its how Twink's since failed acting school got the Billie barry spot on the Toy Show.
    Its also why we get LLS guests rotated from the RTE canteen.
    In short it spoils any chances of quality. We get use to dross so when middling comes along we think its quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im just shocked ciara kelly actually is managed by a ‘talent’ agency. Reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where a coy fish just screams for any reason but you cant get rid of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Im just shocked ciara kelly actually is managed by a ‘talent’ agency. Reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where a coy fish just screams for any reason but you cant get rid of it

Thats the screaming caterpillar.
    Was by the coy pond so half a point :)

Advertisement