Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Gorey area

Options
  • 20-08-2020 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my wife have been thinking of moving our young family to the Gorey area.

I have a few queries though.

1) We are looking to buy a house with some land as we will need to build a granny flat for my mother as she will be coming with us. Is it hard to get planning for a separate granny flat in Wexford? It would not be attached to the main house so something either block built or something along the lines of a timber log cabin.

2) I would still be commuting to Dublin Monday - Friday. I start at 10am and finish at 4.30pm is the commute horrible at these times?
    I used to live in Newtownmountkennedy so I am well aware of how badly the M11 can be at times.
    Google Maps are saying if I leave at 8.30am I should be in Rathfarnham at 10am, is an hour and a half doable?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi there. Am posting just so you get some sort of reply, but am afraid I can't answer either of your questions with any great certainty.

On the first, I honestly don't know how planning would work for something like that. I know that if you were to try get permission to build an entire new house on a new site, Wexford has the same "local needs" requirement as many other counties. But it might be different if you're just building a smaller structure in the curtilage of an existing house. This is probably stating the obvious, but a phone call to the Planning Department in the County Council here might be a lot more informative than hoping for anybody here to be able to answer with any degree of certainty.

On the other - I see myself that Google Maps puts estimated Gorey-Rathfarnam travel time at between 55 minutes and 1hr 15mins if you leave at 8.30 a.m. That seems wildly optimistic to me.

What I can tell you is that you shouldn't ever hit any delays between Gorey and the Newtown exit, and that's about 30 minutes of a trip. So if you take whatever length of time it normally took to travel Newtown to Rathfarnam, and add 30 minutes, that's as good as indicator as you'll get of what Gorey to Rathfarnam would be.

Again, don't know how much this helps, but at least you have an answer now anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Our plans have changed again so it looks like Gorey may no longer be in the frame.

I do however appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Well, that was a waste of my time.....! :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

No problem. Hope things work out for you wherever you go anyway.

Advertisement