Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Matt Doherty not in the match day squad for the Wycombe game. He was apparently a doubt according to Mourinho but was photographed in training on Friday.

Someone made has made a clip collection his performances for Spurs so far. It's not pretty. Concerning the form of our best player has nose-dived.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1353729739505111041

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Matt Doherty not in the match day squad for the Wycombe game. He was apparently a doubt according to Mourinho but was photographed in training on Friday.

Someone made has made a clip collection his performances for Spurs so far. It's not pretty. Concerning the form of our best player has nose-dived.

He’s never been our best player while representing us. I remember a good few months ago a poster broke down some details on why Doherty was very good at right wing back for wolves and why he was only average at right back previously.

It’s starting to look like that system at wolves played to his strengths.

I was wondering the other day if a few sporting bodies like Athletics, IRFU and the FAI got together to build an elite sports schooling complex for youths in the middle of Ireland.

Each sport picks X talented youths who stay there like a school and get educated during the day and sports training in the evenings.

They would be sharing costs on the schooling, facilities and sports science and nutrition tutors etc.

It would probably be good for the youths too to be around like minded people all day driving each other on.

I’m sure the costs would make it unworkable but I thought it was a nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I was wondering the other day if a few sporting bodies like Athletics, IRFU and the FAI got together to build an elite sports schooling complex for youths in the middle of Ireland.

Each sport picks X talented youths who stay there like a school and get educated during the day and sports training in the evenings.

They would be sharing costs on the schooling, facilities and sports science and nutrition tutors etc.

It would probably be good for the youths too to be around like minded people all day driving each other on.

I’m sure the costs would make it unworkable but I thought it was a nice idea.

Pretty much is what is done in most soccer academies in UK and the Provincial rugby academies here after kids leave school.

He has been very average for Ireland and I hope he doesn't start for us. Coleman offers way more defensively and in terms of leadership which we are lacking and on current form he's better going forward.

He’s never been our best player while representing us.
    Third most expensive Irish player ever, playing in a CL/Europa League team. We don't have anyone playing at a higher level than him, so I think it's a reasonable argument that he's our best player (in terms of ability at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The move to Spurs was a shocker for Doherty. Wolves were the perfect team using the perfect system.

Third most expensive Irish player ever, playing in a CL/Europa League team. We don't have anyone playing at a higher level than him, so I think it's a reasonable argument that he's our best player (in terms of ability at least).

He doesn't play very often though. He got signed by Spurs off the back of a very productive season as a Wing back for a good counter-attacking Wolves side. He doesn't have the technical ability to play conventially as a Right back/Right midfielder/Right sided attacker so doesn't fit in our team. He will either be out the door in the summer at Spurs or very rarely involved next season again if Jose is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

That compilation is a bit harsh on Doherty. Apparently Santos had him positioned 6 inches further infield for Wolves and it’s taking him a while to adjust.

• Advertisement

His transfer fee or team he plays for is irrelevant if he’s not performing well for Ireland.
    I’d still have Coleman ahead of him for now.

His transfer fee or team he plays for is irrelevant if he’s not performing well for Ireland.
    I’d still have Coleman ahead of him for now.

O'Shea may be Coleman's replacement and he already looks to be better defensively than Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

O'Shea may be Coleman's replacement and he already looks to be better defensively than Doherty.

Dara O'Shea? He's surely a centreback mainstay for years to come, no?
    I know he can play at fullback too, but seems like he'll be a top quality CB in no time.

Could we make a starting 11 of young players if Kenny did decide on going all out on youth?

Gk kelleher, Bazuna
    RB ?
    Lb ?
    CB O’Shea, Collins, Egan, Dunne.
    DM Cullen
    CM molomby or knight
    10?
    RF ?
    LF Connolly
    CF Parrott, Idah

Am I missing anyone? Who would fill in the blanks?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I know he can play at fullback too, but seems like he'll be a top quality CB in no time.

You have Egan and Duffy there now, Collins, Masterson and McGuinness coming through so might need him more at full back.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not too many Fullbacks coming through, namely left back.

Same can be said for an Attacking Midfielder.

Byrne and Curtis are 24, Browne 25. No exactly "young" per se. I ruled out Egan, hes 29 this year!

Could add Okoflex for the left side, and Afolabi and Mipo Odubeko as strikers.

I'd also be inclined to switch Obafemi to RF in a front 3 - he's never gonna be a central striker in a 3, but has all the tools to be a decent RWF. Much like an inverted Connolly, where in a 2 you could consider them both as strikers, but in a 3, they're better in the wider roles as they drop deeper into space to collect and then make direct runs from there.

• Advertisement

Could we make a starting 11 of young players if Kenny did decide on going all out on youth?

Gk kelleher, Bazuna
    RB ?
    Lb ?
    CB O’Shea, Collins, Egan, Dunne.
    DM Cullen
    CM molomby or knight
    10?
    RF ?
    LF Connolly
    CF Parrott, Idah

Am I missing anyone? Who would fill in the blanks?

Travers is another GK
    Lee O Connor and Danny McNamara are the only full backs that might be good enough. Both a good bit off.
    Coventry or Kilkenny in midfield could push Knight to #10 or right of the 3.
    Conor Ronan looks good for 21's but needs to be playing at a higher level haven't seen much at club level.
    Anthony Scully is scoring goals for Lincoln so might push for a place but needs to be scoring regularly a division higher.

Most of these younger players should be playing regularly for their clubs until the end of the season at least.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not too many Fullbacks coming through, namely left back.

Same can be said for an Attacking Midfielder.

Byrne and Curtis are 24, Browne 25. No exactly "young" per se. I ruled out Egan, hes 29 this year!

Yea I forgot Browne, travers and smallbone.
    I like Egan and decided we needed we experienced head.

I tried to pick players who were playing regular enough at a decent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Finally, someone who gets it. The men’s international team is the peak, not a breeding ground.

All those points are well made but to add a final point to it. SK is now the first manager who believes in whats being done at youth level. He is the first manager to bring the 433 formation to the senior team. Therefore any young players coming through the underage set up now need time to bed in, all the older players need to learn the formation and the way he wants to play. Hence why i suggest writing off 1 campaign to bring in the young players and have a clear out of the squad.

What you are suggesting to me is, the underage structure is grand but sure let throw all that work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

athlone99 wrote: »
    All those points are well made but to add a final point to it. SK is now the first manager who believes in whats being done at youth level. He is the first manager to bring the 433 formation to the senior team. Therefore any young players coming through the underage set up now need time to bed in, all the older players need to learn the formation and the way he wants to play. Hence why i suggest writing off 1 campaign to bring in the young players and have a clear out of the squad.

What you are suggesting to me is, the underage structure is grand but sure let throw all that work out.

And if the young players aren't good enough?? Or like the current senior squad don't have the ability to play 443?? Do we keep at it in the hope we'll eventually find some players? Or do we play a style that suits the players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

~Rebel~ wrote: »

He has displaced Furlong the last few games and appears West Broms first choice RB.

• Advertisement

And if the young players aren't good enough?? Or like the current senior squad don't have the ability to play 443?? Do we keep at it in the hope we'll eventually find some players? Or do we play a style that suits the players we have.

Well if the young players arent good enough we may as well give up International football. You need to realize that it could take 4/6 years to build up a new team/squad.

Whats your basis for saying 433 doesnt work or doesnt suit the players? Everyone was saying SK should change to 5 at the back. No longer looks like a good idea since Sheffield United have fallen off a cliff and Matt Doherty moved to a team that plays 4 at the back. Most of our midfielders and forwards play some version of 433 and since this is the first time the Senior mens team seems to be coached to a certain style and philosophy its going to take time.

You seem to be of the opinion that if it doesnt work, sack the manager, rinse and repeat instead of building long term. From 2014 little or no young players were brought into the squad and the team has gotten old together. It needs young blood and that may take a few years to work. Look at what Wales and Scotland have done.

Well if the young players arent good enough we may as well give up International football. You need to realize that it could take 4/6 years to build up a new team/squad.

Whats your basis for saying 433 doesnt work or doesnt suit the players? Everyone was saying SK should change to 5 at the back. No longer looks like a good idea since Sheffield United have fallen off a cliff and Matt Doherty moved to a team that plays 4 at the back. Most of our midfielders and forwards play some version of 433 and since this is the first time the Senior mens team seems to be coached to a certain style and philosophy its going to take time.

You seem to be of the opinion that if it doesnt work, sack the manager, rinse and repeat instead of building long term. From 2014 little or no young players were brought into the squad and the team has gotten old together. It needs young blood and that may take a few years to work. Look at what Wales and Scotland have done.

SO write off 4-6 years in the HOPE that some players come through?And if 4-4-3 gets phased out during that time, like 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 did then what? Rip it up and go with the more popular 4-1-2-3? Or other formation de jour?

Why would 3-5-2 fall off a cliff? We've the players currently to utilise it. Would give us strength at the back and a decent attacking outlet.

Your post comes across as, everyone is playing this way, so we should too. The team needs to play to it's strengths, not what formation is popular that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We haven't qualified for a world cup in twenty years and we have one of the weakest squads in that time, I don't think it is unrealistic to say that we are outsiders for qualifying for the 2022 world cup and chances are we will be watching it from home. We also have an exciting crop of young players coming through who are all roughly the same age and lacking experience, while I agree the senior managers role is not a developmental role, all things considered I think using the WC qualifying campaign as a time for developing and improving the squad will benefit us for potentially the next number of qualification campaigns.

I have been easy on Kenny to date and want him to succeed, but I will be judging him from here on out starting with the game against Serbia in March. That doesn't mean I will be calling for his head if we lose or if we don't get to the World Cup, because the truth is, neither of those things would be unexpected, regardless of who our manager is.

Obviously if we go out and get turned over easily by Serbia and Portugal home and away and then limp past Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, then questions will be asked and maybe he will get the boot. If we can beat the lower seeds home and away, put it up to Portugal and/or Serbia, blood the young players through and generally look like a better team come November then I think Kenny will have done a good job.

From 2014 little or no young players were brought into the squad and the team has gotten old together. It needs young blood and that may take a few years to work. Look at what Wales and Scotland have done.
    The young players in the recent past were nowhere near good enough to deserve a call up.

Here's a random under 21 squad from 2017. Excluding Rice who buggered off, the only player who has turned out good enough to even challenge the first team was Josh Cullen. 2-3 probably in contention to make the squad, the rest nowhere.
    Republic of Ireland U21 squad to face Norway and Israel

Goalkeepers: Kieran O'Hara (Manchester United), Liam Bossin (Nottingham Forest).

Defenders: Danny Kane (Huddersfield), Ryan Sweeney (Stoke City, on loan at Bristol Rovers), Shaun Donnellan (West Bromwich Albion, on loan at Walsall), Declan Rice (West Ham United), Corey Whelan (Liverpool), Ryan Delaney (Burton Albion, on loan at Cork City), Trevor Clarke (Shamrock Rovers)

Midfielders: Josh Cullen (West Ham, on loan at Bolton Wanderers), Harry Charsley (Everton), Conor Shaughnessy (Leeds United), Liam Kinsella (Walsall), Jake Mulraney (Inverness Caledonian Thistle), Connor Ronan (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Olamide Shodipo (QPR), Connor Dimaio (Chesterfield), Rory Hale (Galway United), Jake Doyle Hayes (Aston Villa), Dessie Hutchinson (Brighton and Hove Albion).

Attackers: Reece Grego Cox (QPR), Ryan Manning (QPR), Ronan Curtis (Derry City), Joe Quigley (Bournemouth, on loan at Newport County).
    It makes no sense to me to start randomly promoting players to the senior squad when they've played no football at a high level, or who've often not even played at senior level at all.

Youth players should only be promoted if they're actually showing something at club level. Nathan Collins at Stoke is a good example of a player we might take a punt on. Troy Parrott on the other hand is a bad example, not even kicked a ball at senior level before he was called up. I can't think of any country that calls up players that don't play at senior level, it's madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Youth players should only be promoted if they're actually showing something at club level. Nathan Collins at Stoke is a good example of a player we might take a punt on. Troy Parrott on the other hand is a bad example, not even kicked a ball at senior level before he was called up. I can't think of any country that calls up players that don't play at senior level, it's madness.

Are you saying a manger with 25 years experience in Mick McCarthy was wrong to play Parrott in a friendly?

The young players in the recent past were nowhere near good enough to deserve a call up.

Here's a random under 21 squad from 2017. Excluding Rice who buggered off, the only player who has turned out good enough to even challenge the first team was Josh Cullen. 2-3 probably in contention to make the squad, the rest nowhere.

It makes no sense to me to start randomly promoting players to the senior squad when they've played no football at a high level, or who've often not even played at senior level at all.

Thats not a fair comparison. Up to SK's time as U21 manager, the old managers chased random English players with Irish grandparents. Look at a current U21 squad over the last 2 years. You are now seeing 17/18/19 year olds in the 21s squad, that did not use to happen.

We should do what Wales do, there starting right back cant get near the Liverpool team but is playing every games for Wales, learning on the job so that in 4 years time they will be flying. Thats what we need to do with the young players. I would rather see 4 or 5 young lads start every WC qualifying game and finish 3rd than have all the experienced players who have failed in the recent past play and still finish 3rd.

The young players need to be integrated and given time in the team, most people can see we are massive under dogs to qualify for the WC so why not write off 1 campaign to build towards the Euros and then the following world cup?

SO write off 4-6 years in the HOPE that some players come through?And if 4-4-3 gets phased out during that time, like 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 did then what? Rip it up and go with the more popular 4-1-2-3? Or other formation de jour?

Why would 3-5-2 fall off a cliff? We've the players currently to utilise it. Would give us strength at the back and a decent attacking outlet.

Your post comes across as, everyone is playing this way, so we should too. The team needs to play to it's strengths, not what formation is popular that season.

For a start 433 will not be phased out by the FAI. All coaching from 5 years of age is based on 433. The idea of 433 means you can quickly change to a 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-3-1 etc, its why they are coaching all teams that way.

Why go 3-5-2? We now currently have 2 players at premier league level playing in that formation. Everyone else plays in a back 4, the manager has always used a back 4, any players who have played at underage level has used 4 at the back. Are you saying we should throw out what they are used too?

With the crammed international windows there simply isnt the time on the training ground to change to 3 at the back, thats just a fact. If you asked a manager at club level, it takes 6/8 weeks of pre season to practice it 5/6 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Stoke turn down a Burnley bid of 5m for Nathan Collins. They want at least £10m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It's funny, on YBIG during the week I was reading people say the exact opposite of this and that we should be capping more players from a young age and get them involved in squads, citing Wales and Northern Ireland as examples. Football fans will have different opinions, there is no concrete right or wrong way to do it.

I think Parrott was worth calling up. He is a high potential player who was on the fringes of a very strong Spurs team in a position we have been weak in for a long time. I agree there is no point in calling up lads for the sake of it, but right now we do have a lot of young players making the breakthrough into first team football: Parrott, Idah, Molumby, Knight, Collins, O'Shea, Cullen to name a few.

If we had loads of better options in their mid to late 20s who were playing every week at a high level it might be different, but we don't have an amazingly deep pool to pick from and if we think these guys will eventually (some arguably are already) be better than what we have now, I think it is worth bringing them into the team with one eye on the next campaign.

Thats not a fair comparison. Up to SK's time as U21 manager, the old managers chased random English players with Irish grandparents. Look at a current U21 squad over the last 2 years. You are now seeing 17/18/19 year olds in the 21s squad, that did not use to happen.

We should do what Wales do, there starting right back cant get near the Liverpool team but is playing every games for Wales, learning on the job so that in 4 years time they will be flying. Thats what we need to do with the young players. I would rather see 4 or 5 young lads start every WC qualifying game and finish 3rd than have all the experienced players who have failed in the recent past play and still finish 3rd.

The young players need to be integrated and given time in the team, most people can see we are massive under dogs to qualify for the WC so why not write off 1 campaign to build towards the Euros and then the following world cup?

And if during/after that campaign we realise the 4/5 young players aren't up to the standard, do we go back to the senior pros? Or write off the next Euro campaign??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Stoke turn down a Burnley bid of 5m for Nathan Collins. They want at least £10m

I hope Stokes response was HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

For a start 433 will not be phased out by the FAI. All coaching from 5 years of age is based on 433. The idea of 433 means you can quickly change to a 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-3-1 etc, its why they are coaching all teams that way.

Why go 3-5-2? We now currently have 2 players at premier league level playing in that formation. Everyone else plays in a back 4, the manager has always used a back 4, any players who have played at underage level has used 4 at the back. Are you saying we should throw out what they are used too?

With the crammed international windows there simply isnt the time on the training ground to change to 3 at the back, thats just a fact. If you asked a manager at club level, it takes 6/8 weeks of pre season to practice it 5/6 days a week.

It's a different formation, not a different sport. Ireland have always played 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, you expect them to change the front 6 seamlessly, but it's impossible for the centre halves to change?? Seamus Coleman has played as a CB in a 3 for Everton without looking like a fish on a bicycle.

We should do what Wales do, there starting right back cant get near the Liverpool team but is playing every games for Wales, learning on the job so that in 4 years time they will be flying.
    Neco Williams got his call-up on the back of winning the Premier League and making a dozen senior level appearances. We don't really have anyone comparable.

It's a different formation, not a different sport. Ireland have always played 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, you expect them to change the front 6 seamlessly, but it's impossible for the centre halves to change?? Seamus Coleman has played as a CB in a 3 for Everton without looking like a fish on a bicycle.

What defines a young lad not being good enough? Jeff Henrick has been muck in an Ireland Jersey yet is consistently picked, why not do that with the young players and give them a chance? Again regarding the formation your over looking the time it takes in training to work on it. I'm not against trying 3 at the back but the practicalities of the situation make it nearly impossible to change now.

If we dont give the young players a chance to get experience and play and to perform we are going to be writing off campaigns anyway so your point is basically pointless at this stage. In 4 years time most of the current squad will be gone so where do the new internationals come from?

From all your responses to me you seem happy with status quo of wasting money on a so called high profile manager, who will just pick old pros, not give youth a chance and play 442.

Neco Williams got his call-up on the back of winning the Premier League and making a dozen senior level appearances. We don't really have anyone comparable.

Adam Idah, Will Smallbone, Michael Obafemi

Thats just 3 bit part players off the top of my head. We should look to do similar to Wales and bring these lads in, say i know how good you are and your going to be starting for the next 10 games.

Adam Idah, Will Smallbone, Michael Obafemi

Thats just 3 bit part players off the top of my head. We should look to do similar to Wales and bring these lads in, say i know how good you are and your going to be starting for the next 10 games.

We've played Idah, he looked lost. Smallbone is out long term and Obafemi has played a total of 19 minutes of first team football in all competitions for Southampton this season.

We've played Idah, he looked lost. Smallbone is out long term and Obafemi has played a total of 19 minutes of first team football in all competitions for Southampton this season.

Oba’s also out long term. Was in high demand for a loan move before his injury though.

What defines a young lad not being good enough? Jeff Henrick has been muck in an Ireland Jersey yet is consistently picked, why not do that with the young players and give them a chance? Again regarding the formation your over looking the time it takes in training to work on it. I'm not against trying 3 at the back but the practicalities of the situation make it nearly impossible to change now.

If we dont give the young players a chance to get experience and play and to perform we are going to be writing off campaigns anyway so your point is basically pointless at this stage. In 4 years time most of the current squad will be gone so where do the new internationals come from?

From all your responses to me you seem happy with status quo of wasting money on a so called high profile manager, who will just pick old pros, not give youth a chance and play 442.

Did a bit of research and West Brom have played a back 5 in four games this season. So O’Shea would be versed in it. Coleman has played as a centre half in a back 5 at Everton and looked comfortable, Egan plays it at Sheff U, Newcastle have used it 7 times this season, with Clark playing left sided centre back. Duffy has played (well been on the pitch) in a back 5 too at Celtic. Kevin Long seems to be the only Irish PL CB not to have played it this season. Our Championship CB Lenihan hasn’t played in a back 5 this season either.

So 5 of our 7 centre half’s have played in a back 5 this season. Yet it would be absolutely impossible for Ireland to pick 3 of them to play centre back in a 3-5-2 formation.

Did a bit of research and West Brom have played a back 5 in four games this season. So O’Shea would be versed in it. Coleman has played as a centre half in a back 5 at Everton and looked comfortable, Egan plays it at Sheff U, Newcastle have used it 7 times this season, with Clark playing left sided centre back. Duffy has played (well been on the pitch) in a back 5 too at Celtic. Kevin Long seems to be the only Irish PL CB not to have played it this season. Our Championship CB Lenihan hasn’t played in a back 5 this season either.

So 5 of our 7 centre half’s have played in a back 5 this season. Yet it would be absolutely impossible for Ireland to pick 3 of them to play centre back in a 3-5-2 formation.

Did we play 3-5-2 in the first half against the Swiss and weren’t great.
    The issue is the quality of our players.

• Advertisement

I’ve already posted young players that we could play in this upcoming campaign. Nearly all are playing regularly and are near enough the level of the current older players.

Kelleher in for Randolph. Travers on the bench with bazuna third choice.

O’Shea starting in place of Duffy. Collins on the bench. Dunne on the bench ahead of Long.

Molumby or knight in at centre mid ahead of hoorihane.
    Cullen to replace the always injured McCarthy.

Idah or Parrot instead of Collins, Maguire etc.

You are looking at 4/5 first team changes there that won’t impact us too much right now that would hopefully help those players push on for the next campaign.
    It’s also 3/4 squad promotions too.

The players they are replacing aren’t gonna improve anymore in the future so it’s about hoping the new players will

Edit
    I’d be given Browne a midfield slot too. He deserves a chance.

Did we play 3-5-2 in the first half against the Swiss and weren’t great.
    The issue is the quality of our players.

We played wing back Enda Stevens as a Centre Back and James McClean as a Wing Back. We have better players in CB now and Stevens could revert back to WB. Coleman had an absolute stinker of a game too as wing back, before getting himself sent off when we went back to 442.

We played wing back Enda Stevens as a Centre Back and James McClean as a Wing Back. We have better players in CB now and Stevens could revert back to WB. Coleman had an absolute stinker of a game too as wing back, before getting himself sent off when we went back to 442.

Ends Stevens can play at centre back though and you’ve used this type of same logic to justify how we can play 3 at the back by saying Coleman would be comfortable in a back 3.

Watched the first half of the Newcastle game to see Hendrick. His form today and in recent games has been awful, yet he seems to bizarrely be playing the full 90 minutes. It'll be interesting to see what Kenny does with him for the March internationals. Personally, I would struggle to see him starting on what I've seen in the last few weeks.

I also watched Millwall against Watford in the hope of getting to see Parrott. He didn't see any game time, but I did get to see Danny McNamara who had a very solid game at right wing back. He defended well, can pass a ball, and got forward a few times and looked lively. Probably a good bit behind Coleman and Doherty, but he's on an upward curve and looks one of the better players in this Millwall team.

Ends Stevens can play at centre back though and you’ve used this type of same logic to justify how we can play 3 at the back by saying Coleman would be comfortable in a back 3.

I never said he would be comfortable (an opinion), I said he HAD been comfortable when he played there for Everton (a fact)

“I enjoyed it,” he said. ”It was something the manager worked on during the week – when we have the ball to drop into a back three.

“I was happy to do it. We did it for a few days in training and I really enjoyed it actually.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I still think Duffy is our best bet at CB if we have the ambition to qualify for the World Cup. Of course his form needs to get back to what is was.

I have seen O'Shea a few times and I've read comments here as if his rise to become a top player and/or a guaranteed starter for Ireland is a certainty. I honestly have seen nothing from him to make me that confident. He looks very passive to me. Like he will deal with something if it comes his way but he won't go sniffing out the danger, and he won't make his presence felt.

I'm not trying to be overly critical because he might end up maturing into a very good player, but just based on what I've seen I have no idea why he is being hyped up so much.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Third most expensive Irish player ever, playing in a CL/Europa League team.

I hadn't realised this about Doherty.
    The last decade and a bit has been an absolute waste land for this country in terms of producing quality players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Draw for the 2023 U21s Euros takes place tomorrow at 11.30am our time.

Pot 1: Spain, Germany, France, England, Italy, Denmark, Portugal, Netherlands, Croatia

Pot 2: Austria, Poland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Belgium, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Greece

Pot 3: Slovakia, Iceland, Ukraine, Slovenia, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Norway, Bulgaria, Turkey

Pot 4: Scotland, North Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales, Northern Ireland, Finland, Hungary, Belarus, Albania

Pot 5: Montenegro, Kosovo, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Latvia

Pot 6: Luxembourg, Armenia, Malta, Andorra, Estonia, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, San Marino

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I still think Duffy is our best bet at CB if we have the ambition to qualify for the World Cup. Of course his form needs to get back to what is was.

I have seen O'Shea a few times and I've read comments here as if his rise to become a top player and/or a guaranteed starter for Ireland is a certainty. I honestly have seen nothing from him to make me that confident. He looks very passive to me. Like he will deal with something if it comes his way but he won't go sniffing out the danger, and he won't make his presence felt.

I'm not trying to be overly critical because he might end up maturing into a very good player, but just based on what I've seen I have no idea why he is being hyped up so much.

Age is a huge part of it. He’s at the top end of 21 year old centrebacks. CB’s tend to only get to PL level closer to mid-20’s.

Also very comfortable on the ball, and quite mobile - two traits becoming increasingly important in a premier league CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Mick now confirmed as new Cardiff manager.

Wonder does Byrne regret the APOEL move now, you would imagine Mick would have tried bring him to Cardiff if he was still available

Goal for Hourihane

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement