Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lads he is 19 this month. Not 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think this is a good move for Parrott. At the moment he's playing for a Millwall team that are pretty low in quality for the division that they're in. It must be very hard for a young player who doesn't have experience to maybe only get given one decent chance in a game (or maybe not get a chance at all). By dropping down a division and by playing in a stronger team, he should get more opportunities, which should be better for his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I hope Spurs are doing more due-diligence on this move than the last one... I don't know much about how Ipswich play, but hopefully he's a better fit there, and this is a move that should actually allow him to develop as a CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Lads he is 19 this month. Not 29.

he isn't even 19 yet. 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Hopefully the Ipswich move works out for Parrott. Doesn't look happy in the photos and interview I saw though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I think there was just too much hype about him been a special talent. Greenwood is 19 and Fati at Barcelona is 18 and I think some hoped Troy could be closer to those and someone we could get excited about. But these are generational talents and the reality is Troy is nowhere near that level like the vast vast majority of players that age. Maybe he got carried away in the hype himself but maybe this will do him and fans no harm. Get his feet on the ground and work hard if we wants to be up there. Be interesting to keep an eye on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Idah and Parrott just haven't kicked on like we all hopped the last year to 6 months they should have really burst on to the scene ,
    I still expect Idah to have abetter career than Parrot ,
    I think Parrot falls off the radar over the n next 18 months

Idah and Parrott just haven't kicked on like we all hopped the last year to 6 months they should have really burst on to the scene ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

In fairness to Parrott, Rowlett said he was putting in extra training and going in on his days off, sometimes a forward needs a lucky break to get going again . Hopefully he gets off to a good start, probably no harm getting him out of London too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think Idah was on course at Norwich before his injury. They seem to rate him there and he was featuring regularly albeit off the bench, might be hard to break back into a team that is going well and top of the league though.

Parrott a more disappointing one for sure but still only 18 and has at least played 10-15 games in men's football now if not exactly performing well. Hopefully can get a few goals at Ipswich.

• Advertisement

Aaron McEneff has left Shamrock Rovers for Hearts.

Conor Shaughnessy has left Leeds for Rochdale.

Shane Long is rumoured to be going on loan to Bournemouth if Southampton can sign Joshua King.

Looking at our young forwards, and the various interest in them, have to think Connolly and Obafemi are still at the forefront. Connolly playing semi-regularly in the prem, and Obafemi (despite not being rated as much by Kenny it seems) was wanted by automatic-promotion-pushing Swansea before his injury scuppered the move.

Idah perhaps as well at Norwich, though it's a tough one to judge since he's been out most of the season so it's hard to know how regular a starter he could've been... only 1 start in the 8 games he was available though. But there's definitely some hope there at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

How was Parrot performing in the championship?
    If he wasn’t performing well or scoring than maybe the right decision has been made and it was just a level too high for him at this stage.

Hopefully he can start scoring in league 1 and build some confidence.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    How was Parrot performing in the championship?
    If he wasn’t performing well or scoring than maybe the right decision has been made and it was just a level too high for him at this stage.

Hopefully he can start scoring in league 1 and build some confidence.

Didn't see much of him, but sounded like he was working hard, without being offensively decisive. Didn't score any goals, so was shifted wide to keep him in the team, which seems to have begun a cycle of negativity - after all he's even less likely to score from wide, so was hard to earn a CF spot. And then dropped out of the team entirely over the last few weeks.

At his age, he's better off at a lower level where he'll get chances in the box - hopefully that's Ipswich. They're not exactly tearing up the league either though...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Looking at our young forwards, and the various interest in them, have to think Connolly and Obafemi are still at the forefront. Connolly playing semi-regularly in the prem, and Obafemi (despite not being rated as much by Kenny it seems) was wanted by automatic-promotion-pushing Swansea before his injury scuppered the move.

Idah perhaps as well at Norwich, though it's a tough one to judge since he's been out most of the season so it's hard to know how regular a starter he could've been... only 1 start in the 8 games he was available though. But there's definitely some hope there at least.
    With Obafemi getting injured, he realistically won't be in contention until the September internationals next season.

Connolly will almost certainly be in the next 23 man squad. He has blown hot and cold, but he has 2 Premier League goals. Not great, but he is our joint top goal scorer in the division along side Hendrick and Robinson.

Idah is only back after a long injury lay-off. If he starts getting games, he will definitely be in contention and he's obviously one Kenny fancies.

Overall, our options for the front three are pretty awful. We have the aforementioned lads with 2 goals each in the Premier League. Dropping to the Championship, Collins is our top scorer with 6 goals, after that you've got Browne, Hogan, and Maguire who have 3 goals.

There's less than two months before we play Serbia. We really need someone to hit a run of form between now and then and get 3-4 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

adaminho wrote: »

Christ... it’s be one thing if they’d lost or drawn the game as a result of it, but abusing him even after they got a huge win is just lunacy... the gambler aspect is dark as well. What’s next, screaming at a CB for knocking the ball wide for safety because you’d backed under-7 corners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Just log off Twitter or put your phone down. No need to delete ur account haha

Andrew00 wrote: »

I presume the abuse was still rolling in, and he wanted to stop that, and stop the momentum behind it. Only way to do that is to deactivate your account.

He can just reactivate it again in a few days if he wants.

footballers should stay off twitter and social media anyway. just stick to what your good at, playing football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

pgj2015 wrote: »
    footballers should stay off twitter and social media anyway. just stick to what your good at, playing football.

Yeah you're right. This is clearly Connolly's fault. :rolleyes:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. This is clearly Connolly's fault. :rolleyes:

#

im not saying its his fault but I dont get why they bother with it, look at the abuse some of them get, declan rice for example, i was looking at his twitter and the england fans and Ireland fans were ripping him to shreds after an england game. some england fans were even having a go at harry kane, saying hes useless and not good enough to be playing for england etc lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It should be included in their contracts. I cannot see any upside to any footballer having social media. Lazy journalists just scour places like Twitter to find a story

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It should be included in their contracts. I cannot see any upside to any footballer having social media. Lazy journalists just scour places like Twitter to find a story

its all the same stuff they post anyway, just videos of other sports teams and people. I saw a footballers twitter lately and saw that he hadn't tweeted in 3 years and thought fair play to ya, probably spending time on more important things.

#

im not saying its his fault but I dont get why they bother with it, look at the abuse some of them get, declan rice for example, i was looking at his twitter and the england fans and Ireland fans were ripping him to shreds after an england game. some england fans were even having a go at harry kane, saying hes useless and not good enough to be playing for england etc lol

You're right that it looks more trouble than it's worth - but saying "footballers should stay off twitter and social media anyway. just stick to what you're good at, playing football." is looking totally the wrong direction.

Footballer's are just people. They're entitled to be able to do things normal people do. And if those things are made more difficult because of idiots abusing them, we should be saying it's the abusers that shouldn't be on twitter, not the abused.

I daresay it's the exact opposite - footballers are encouraged to do things on social media to extend the range of the clubs brand. Just look at things like "#Pogback".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Andrew00 wrote: »

Wouldn’t make the papers if he did that.

You're right that it looks more trouble than it's worth - but saying "footballers should stay off twitter and social media anyway. just stick to what you're good at, playing football." is looking totally the wrong direction.

Footballer's are just people. They're entitled to be able to do things normal people do. And if those things are made more difficult because of idiots abusing them, we should be saying it's the abusers that shouldn't be on twitter, not the abused.

I get what you are saying, of course they should be allowed on twitter if they want but its probably wiser not to be, for any famous person really, how many times has mcclean deleted his twitter?

Wouldn’t make the papers if he did that.

Do you really think that's why he deactivated his account?

Do you really think that's why he deactivated his account?

I’ve no idea, but footballers always seem to make a big deal of deleting their accounts when they make a high profile error, doesn’t take them long to get back on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I’ve no idea, but footballers always seem to make a big deal of deleting their accounts when they make a high profile error, doesn’t take them long to get back on it though.

Inflated sense of own self importance while being surrounded by Yes men I would guess

Christ ye're a cynical bunch!

and do players make a big deal of deactivating accounts, or does the media? Can't recall too many instances of a player themselves drawing attention to it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »

Would be a fantastic move for him to pick up experience at senior level. Will probably miss the opening fixtures if the move happens as the U19s have qualifiers in March.

Would be a fantastic move for him to pick up experience at senior level. Will probably miss the opening fixtures if the move happens as the U19s have qualifiers in March.

I'm not sure I agree it would be a great move.

A great move would have been a team at Championship or L1 taking him.

I'm not going to bash the LOI as I am a supporter, but you'd be hoping the young talent was moving to a decent standard in terms of making it at the highest level(I'd just see this as an alarm of his future prospects).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Christ... it’s be one thing if they’d lost or drawn the game as a result of it, but abusing him even after they got a huge win is just lunacy... the gambler aspect is dark as well. What’s next, screaming at a CB for knocking the ball wide for safety because you’d backed under-7 corners?

There was a mad situation back in the early stages of the first lockdown where a bookmaker opened a book on a 9th tier (or so) friendly game in Sweden, when most other football was shut down. The match had to be abandoned as a result of the players getting sent hundreds of messages from strangers online.

Yeah feel the same. On the surface seems like City not as high on him as last year? Will be great to get a look at him here though. As for his prospects at City. Would say dont look good atm

I wouldnt be too worried about that. its not like clubs dont get these things wrong from time to time. look at man united letting pogba go and then having to pay huge money to get him back a few years later. who would have thought mo salah was any good when he was at chelsea?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I agree it would be a great move.

A great move would have been a team at Championship or L1 taking him.

I'm not going to bash the LOI as I am a supporter, but you'd be hoping the young talent was moving to a decent standard in terms of making it at the highest level(I'd just see this as an alarm of his future prospects).

He's 18 and has never played a senior game in his whole career, and if transfermarkt is accurate he's only played 27 minutes at U23s level. No decent championship or league 1 team is bringing him in now, especially if they're going for promotion. Just look at Parrott having to drop down to Ipswich, who are probably the Millwall of League 1.

No one even knows if this is for half a season before returning to the UK in the summer or staying all season.
    Yeah feel the same. On the surface seems like City not as high on him as last year? Will be great to get a look at him here though. As for his prospects at City. Would say dont look good atm

I'm sure the fact that City could drop whatever they needed to land the best young talent in the world probably does more harm for his prospects at City than a possible loan move to Derry.

He also broke his leg and ankle last season so his physical development is probably a bit behind what it should be so avoiding the lower leagues in England for a few months is probably best and let him gain senior experience before finding the right club to go on loan to.

Article on Jack Byrne first game with APOEL translated by Google. APOEL are playing today at 3pm, hopefully he gets more game time. [Edit] never mind, not eligible.

https://goal.philenews.com/podosfero/kypros/a-katigoria/apoel/apoel-tin-plirose-protos-o-mpern/
    Last Saturday, one of the new acquisitions of APOEL was used for the first time. Savvas Poursaitidis judged that it was time for Jack Byrne, who had previously played a substitution against Doxa, Paphos FC and Anorthosis. Against Apollon (0-1), however, the first eleventh sample of the Irish midfielder was not what he would have dreamed of.

He could not make his presence felt, the battle of the center was lost by state and Byrne was the first to pay it νοντας staying in the locker room at the beginning of the second half. Certainly from a single 45 minutes, in fact against a proven better team, no safe conclusions can be drawn.

What is certain is that there are demands from the blue and yellows, who expect that in the near future they will get much more from Byrne, who signed a contract until the summer of 2023.

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1356993805812174856

Lee O'Connor put in a man of the match performance in Tranmere's EFL QF win and played as a holding midfielder in the game.

The 20-year-old, who usually operates as a full-back, earned the man-of-the-match award while operating as a defensive midfielder – a position he also excelled in while captaining Ireland at the U19 European Championships in 2019.

O’Connor returned last night after missing Tranmere’s last six games, with the Waterford native sidelined since 10 January due to Covid-19.

“He has played that [role] before so it’s not surprising,” Tranmere Rovers manager Keith Hill said of O’Connor’s performance after last night’s game.

“Lee O’Connor is a very intelligent football player. He’s been off with Covid but he’s back in the squad now. I think Lee could play in most positions on the football pitch because he’s intelligent.”

good to hear but what is he at playing in league 2?

good to hear but what is he at playing in league 2?

Cause he's on loan from Celtic. Better than scratching his bollox on their training ground with the reserves or playing in the Scottish Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Looks like Byrne was left out of the Nicosia squad altogether today , bad signs under new management

Is championship transfer window the same as premier league?

tastyt wrote: »
    Looks like Byrne was left out of the Nicosia squad altogether today , bad signs under new management

Is championship transfer window the same as premier league?

Rearranged game so signings in January were ineligible.

Cause he's on loan from Celtic. Better than scratching his bollox on their training ground with the reserves or playing in the Scottish Championship.

would the standard not be better in the Scottish championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rearranged game so signings in January were ineligible.

Unusual rule!

I wrote Kelleher of last year after some terrible performances but i'll gladly admit I was wrong ,

They lad has been brilliant whenever he has been called upon , fair dues to him looks like he has worked his arse off,

Still could do with beefing up a little but that has to be done over a long period so he remains agile ,

H

I wrote Kelleher of last year after some terrible performances but i'll gladly admit I was wrong ,

They lad has been brilliant whenever he has been called upon , fair dues to him looks like he has worked his arse off,

Still could do with beefing up a little but that has to be done over a long period so he remains agile ,

H

Have to admit I was the exact same. His first few games for Liverpool I thought he looked like an outfield player who was thrown in goals. He's vastly improved and looks a great prospect now.

Fixtures out for the U21s and won't see them play a competitive fixture until September.
    Republic of Ireland Group F UEFA European Under-21 Championship Qualifiers

September 3, 2021 | Bosnia & Herzegovina vs Republic of Ireland

September 7, 2021 | Luxembourg vs Republic of Ireland

October 8, 2021 | Republic of Ireland vs Luxembourg

October 12, 2021 | Montenegro vs Republic of Ireland

November 12 2021 | Republic of Ireland vs Italy

November 16, 2021 | Republic of Ireland vs Sweden

March 29, 2022 | Sweden vs Republic of Ireland

June 3, 2022 | Republic Ireland vs Bosnia & Herzegovina

June 6, 2022 | Republic of Ireland vs Montenegro

June 14, 2022 | Italy vs Republic of Ireland

Kelleher has done well and my guess is that Kenny will probably start him for the Oman game in March. If he wants to kick on and secure the number 1 shirt though, he's going to have to go out on loan and get a run of games under his belt. Randolph is a safe pair of hands and Kenny isn't going to drop him until he has a reliable replacement.

I dunno. Randolph looked to be lacking a bit of sharpness the last time he played for Ireland. Do you remember him being caught in possession? He has not been playing at all afaik and that affects a player. If Kelleher is getting good game time then he has to start imo. It'd be tough on Randolph but it was his decision to be a bench warmer for West Ham. Similar to Duffy I think players should be picked on current form rather than what they did 6 months ago.

Is Liverpool's other goalie injured? When is he back?

I dunno. Randolph looked to be lacking a bit of sharpness the last time he played for Ireland. Do you remember him being caught in possession? He has not been playing at all afaik and that affects a player. If Kelleher is getting good game time then he has to start imo. It'd be tough on Randolph but it was his decision to be a bench warmer for West Ham. Similar to Duffy I think players should be picked on current form rather than what they did 6 months ago.

Is Liverpool's other goalie injured? When is he back?

Alisson is sick (not covid) so will likely be back in the next game or two.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement