Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Alisson is sick (not covid) so will likely be back in the next game or two.

Pity that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Pity that

With Liverpool out of both domestic cups, we won't be seeing any even remotely regular football till he (hopefully) gets out on loan next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What’s this Oman friendly? Mentioned twice in last few posts? I missed that announcement. Or do you mean Qatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Reasonable enough to just assume we'd be playing Oman in a friendly tbf.

Wonder what was really going on with them.. Was Delaney getting some sort of sweet deal from their FA or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I wonder if Westwood would be tempted to play. I always rated him higher than Forde, Randolph or a late career Given. Rarely got a look in but is back in the Wednesday team and looking sharp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

36 though. Randolph has had a good run of it to be fair but time to move him on now especially if not playing first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

36 though. Randolph has had a good run of it to be fair but time to move him on now especially if not playing first team

Pick the keeper which best suits the style you want to play. Kenny's gonna be criticised regardless of who he picks anyway, so might as well pick those that suit the way he wants to try and play.

Also if he's good enough to be starting games for Liverpool then he's good enough to be starting games for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Watching Gary Neville's Soccerbox on Sky with Robbie Keane...i criticised him at times but by god, he was such a talent. Nobody in the irish team close to being in the same ballpark as him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I see Evan Ferguson and Mipo Odubeko were both in the scoresheet in the same u23s match tonight. Odubeko must be very close to getting a taste of first team action for West Ham, has been on the bench the last few games and scoring regularly at 23 level. Fergusons first goal at that level having moved over in January, only 17 (?), has to be a big one to watch over the next year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hourihane had a very, very good game tonight. He was at heart of a lot that Swansea did creatively, worked his socks off and was rewarded with a deserved goal. Got MOTM, no mean feat against a very good Norwich team that are top of the league. Really humble interview too, the guy is just desperate to play football.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1357817087280963589

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Class player

Has he been playing more as an AMC for them? It’s a position we desperately need quality if we’re gonna persist with 4-3-3.Might be an option for us there, with Molumby at 8 and, with McCarthy’s injuries and lack of game time, Cullen at 6.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Has he been playing more as an AMC for them? It’s a position we desperately need quality if we’re gonna persist with 4-3-3.Might be an option for us there, with Molumby at 8 and, with McCarthy’s injuries and lack of game time, Cullen at 6.
    He started advanced, but finished deep as Swansea closed up shop after the second.

Swansea are a really hard side to pigeon hole in terms of tactics. With the ball it's 3-5-2, without the ball it's 5-3-2. The midfield 3 don't seem to have fixed positions. Hourihane started advanced, but ended up deepest, their midfield 3 seem to rotate a bit. They must be a horrible team to play against. Sometimes they play wide, sometimes narrow. Sometimes direct, sometimes intricate. They even launched a few Rory Delap style throws-in's(something Dara O'Shea has been practicing at WBA incidently).

This is not answering your question, but the style Swansea play I feel is something we should be looking at. Trap and MON had no intention of ever trying to play the ball. Kenny on the other hand seems to always want to play the ball. I can't help but feel our best approach is a mixture of the two.

It will be interesting to see next month whether Kenny is going to stick with an orthodox passing style, or whether he might try to mix things up a little.

I see Evan Ferguson and Mipo Odubeko were both in the scoresheet in the same u23s match tonight. Odubeko must be very close to getting a taste of first team action for West Ham, has been on the bench the last few games and scoring regularly at 23 level. Fergusons first goal at that level having moved over in January, only 17 (?), has to be a big one to watch over the next year or two.
    I thought new Brexit rules meant Irish players were not allowed to move to English teams before they turned 18?

sugarman wrote: »
    His mother is English so was able to get around it.
    We'll have egg on our faces if it's turned out that he acquired British citizenship and ends up being called up for the English national team instead of us.

This whole dictate that Irish players under the age of 18 are not allowed to transfer to British teams does not seem constitutionally correct. Under present CTA rules, Irish and British people have freedom of movement anywhere within the British Isles, something that is recognised by the EU and the UK. How can it be right to deny British or Irish players their right to cross jurisdiction in order to seek employment? Both British and Irish people are allowed to be in full-time employment from 16.

• Advertisement

Doubt it, Irish born and bred.
    So was Eoin Morgan, his mother was English too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

..and its a FIFA mandate that players u18 cant sign for clubs outside the EU. Im not sure where they legally stand with the CTA between Ireland & the UK, you'd imagine in due time they will be challenged on it.

Will probably fall on the FAI to challenge it as I can't see the EPL/FA really being all that bothered.
    They're more likely to put their resources into the likes of South America to recruit young talent.

Hourihane had a very, very good game tonight. He was at heart of a lot that Swansea did creatively, worked his socks off and was rewarded with a deserved goal. Got MOTM, no mean feat against a very good Norwich team that are top of the league. Really humble interview too, the guy is just desperate to play football.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1357817087280963589

No denying the lad has talent, he took his goal very well and he's known for strikes like that. But he's still going to be the invisible man for us.

https://streamja.com/oPONL

Himself and Zefi are the two highly rated lads from their age groups. It's amazing to actually see lads now coming through and being able to look at the different age groups and think, two from this group and two from that group, and we'll start building a squad for the next decade.
    Doubt it, Irish born and bred. His dad Barry is a former Ireland u21s International.

..and its a FIFA mandate that players u18 cant sign for clubs outside the EU. Im not sure where they legally stand with the CTA between Ireland & the UK, you'd imagine in due time they will be challenged on it.

Pretty sure they said the CTA only means lads over 18 won't need to go through the work permit process of needing X amount of points to qualify. You could probably see more younger players moving to the lower leagues after a few years in the LOI if lower league teams find it hard to bring in lads from the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I thought new Brexit rules meant Irish players were not allowed to move to English teams before they turned 18?
    I've always wondered about that. Pre brexit players were free to move over at any age due to freedom of movement within the EU but we've had and still have freedom of movement between here and the UK since before the EU even existed so why does Fifa insist on invoking this rule with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Himself and Zefi are the two highly rated lads from their age groups. It's amazing to actually see lads now coming through and being able to look at the different age groups and think, two from this group and two from that group, and we'll start building a squad for the next decade.

The only problem is most of the lads we thought had great potential never turned out that way. They might be playing LOI at 25 or have quit football altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

adaminho wrote: »

We are now asking players who can't get a game for the North to switch to us. That's grim.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    We are now asking players who can't get a game for the North to switch to us. That's grim.

Technically he wanted to switch to us and this switch has taken something like four years to become official. Similar to Aaron McEneff who was also waiting a few years for his switch to come through.

Either way he's 27 in the summer and probably happy to be picking up a handy pay check at Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So was Eoin Morgan, his mother was English too :pac:

There was no test cricket in Ireland when Eoin went to England.

Alan Judge gets one for Ipswich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Duffy was poor in Europe last season , don’t think hel be getting any call from Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Daft second yellow for Hendrick

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Will probably fall on the FAI to challenge it as I can't see the EPL/FA really being all that bothered.
    They're more likely to put their resources into the likes of South America to recruit young talent.

I cant get my head around this?? Are you saying you want the FAI to challenage Fifa so that we can once again rely on UK teams to produce players for Ireland?

Why would they do that? Its a perfect opportunity to invest in the LOI and academy structures here and have an industry here. The best players will always go but at least clubs here may get transfer fees which can be reinvested here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Parrott subbed for Ipswich but apparently played very well judging by some comments on twitter.

• Advertisement

athlone99 wrote: »
    I cant get my head around this?? Are you saying you want the FAI to challenage Fifa so that we can once again rely on UK teams to produce players for Ireland?

Why would they do that? Its a perfect opportunity to invest in the LOI and academy structures here and have an industry here. The best players will always go but at least clubs here may get transfer fees which can be reinvested here.

You’re totally right in theory, that would be a lovely solution. But football in Ireland is broke. There’s no money, and massive debt. Kids at that age need proper coaching and it doesn’t look like Ireland is going to be in a position to provide it at the scale required any time soon.

It’s a horrible situation, with only bad solutions available right now...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I imagine the best young players will still be signed by clubs in Europe.

English clubs will be looking at other options for recruiting, Man City for example own large chunks of Girona in Spain, Troyes in France and Lommel in Belgium which is an easy way around signing players in the 16 to 18 age from around Europe if they wanted to focus on their academy in such a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Parrott starting for Ipswich.

Long starting for Bournemouth.

Connolly starting for Brighton.

Few goals today would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lots of "strikers" who never score.

Not what i was saying at all. The comment I was posting on simply said the rule on players needing to be 18 before they go to England will eventually be challenged on the grounds of CTA. I feel that challenge is more likely to come from the FAI than FA.

I don`t know where this cash is going to come from to create academies/a football industry in this country. The FAI haven`t a pot to p1ss in and are crippled with debt with the likelihood being they`ll be back cap in hand to the state in the not too distant future.

It will be far easier for them to challenge FIFA on the grounds of CTA than build up an entire football industry and revolutionise the LOI so the easiest option is the most likely to happen.

Not what i was saying at all. The comment I was posting on simply said the rule on players needing to be 18 before they go to England will eventually be challenged on the grounds of CTA. I feel that challenge is more likely to come from the FAI than FA.

I don`t know where this cash is going to come from to create academies/a football industry in this country. The FAI haven`t a pot to p1ss in and are crippled with debt with the likelihood being they`ll be back cap in hand to the state in the not too distant future.

It will be far easier for them to challenge FIFA on the grounds of CTA than build up an entire football industry and revolutionise the LOI so the easiest option is the most likely to happen.

So your saying we should just continue as we are then? Thus ruining any chance there is of improving football in ireland. Yes the FAI are broke but they need to change how things are done and the underage national leagues are a great start. They need to lobby the government for money and uefa/fifa to help build an academy structure here. I believe a 16/17 year old playing loi football has a far greater chance of making it across the water.

Definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The majority of the senior squad has played loi at some stage and is better for it so if we can keep them at home for an extra year or 2, have they play in the loi and then the clubs can finally get decent transfer fees and reinvest it then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lots of "strikers" who never score.

Collins and Hogan scored today. Hourihane too

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Collins and Hogan scored today. Hourihane too
    Ronan Curtis got a goal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

So your saying we should just continue as we are then? Thus ruining any chance there is of improving football in ireland. Yes the FAI are broke but they need to change how things are done and the underage national leagues are a great start. They need to lobby the government for money and uefa/fifa to help build an academy structure here. I believe a 16/17 year old playing loi football has a far greater chance of making it across the water.

Definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The majority of the senior squad has played loi at some stage and is better for it so if we can keep them at home for an extra year or 2, have they play in the loi and then the clubs can finally get decent transfer fees and reinvest it then.

The definition of madness is expecting fifa (or the state during a global pandemic) to come in and build underage academies for us.

• Advertisement

Robinson and O'Shea both dropped by WBA. Thought dropping Robinson was unfair, he actually had a decent game against Sheffield United, creating their only goal in that game and looked lively.

Doherty continuing to warm the bench for Spurs. Very bad sign that Mourinho continues to play Aurier ahead of him, despite not rating him and having a big bust up with him last week. Hopefully he can get a new club this Summer.

Parrott subbed for Ipswich but apparently played very well judging by some comments on twitter.

Andy Warren who writes for Ipswich in the local paper gave him a good review. Said he was lively throughout the game, good first touch and clever movement. Looked threatening when trying to make runs in behind or dropping off looking for the ball. Hopefully the drop down in level gives him a better chance of getting on the ball and making things happen.

Mark McGuinness getting good reviews too. Made a vital interception that could have seen Blackpool develop a good goal scoring opportunity, and started off the move for Ipswich's opener with the interception. Should have scored to put them 3-0 up but put his header wide.

While our young strikers haven't pushed on this season our young CBs have really pushed on this season with O'Shea, Collins and McGuinness getting plenty of game time at their respective levels, and Andrew Omobamidele has established himself as a first team squad player at Norwich.

Our young defensive players in general have improved this season with our three young keepers seeing game time and Dan McNamara breaking into the Millwall team after a good start to his St Mirren loan. Pity we've no one at LB whose making a breakthrough like our other young defenders except Sean Roughan at Lincoln who surprisingly started a few games and has been on the bench a lot for them. Young Scottish LB at Cardiff though is supposedly Irish eligible and some talk that he or the FAI are looking further into it.

The definition of madness is expecting fifa (or the state during a global pandemic) to come in and build underage academies for us.

If you read what i wrote again, i said lobby fifa for funding. It doesnt mean your going to get it.

I dont understand why people seem happy to export out the development of Irish footballers to another country. Nobody else does it, its held us back for 20 years.

EtoAzSYXIAIKw1u?format=jpg&name=medium
    Byrne starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Jack Byrne subbed at half time.

Apoel losing 2-1 to bottom team. New manager comes in. Team gets a bump. Then quickly turn to sh!te. This guy won't last long like most of the managers over the last 2 years.

You'd have to fear for Jack. Looks like he's just taken up where he left off at Kilmarnock in relation to his roller coaster career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Yea the signs are bad unfortunately, no faith been put in him or no real chance given , hauled off at half time in his last two games, I’d say he is working on an exit strategy already

Will do well to make the next international squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Like Doherty a very bad move at the wrong time, someone should have advised him to stay put in Ireland. Wonder if he'll be released to come back to Ireland or will someone in the Championship/League 1 cough up the transfer fee to get him back nearer here?

Thats two internationals who made awful moves this year. Then the likes of Lee O'Connor/Jonathan Afolabi/Luca Connell who made awful moves to Celtic recently stunting their development.

tastyt wrote: »
    Yea the signs are bad unfortunately, no faith been put in him or no real chance given , hauled off at half time in his last two games, I’d say he is working on an exit strategy already

Will do well to make the next international squad

Yeah, as things stood he was always on the fringes, so a call up was flip of a coin.

If this affects his international prospects he could well be making an exit as soon as possible. Let's be honest if he kept producing the performances he was at rovers he'd still be in with a very good chance of getting a call up.

Byrnes on probably 4 or 5 times what Shams could afford. His international prospects were 2nd on his list of priorities before moving there never mind now.
    He'll stick around there for a while picking up a bumper pay day as it was the best deal on the table before he went which says alot about what's thought of him outside of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Is he playing particularly poor to be taken off at half time?

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Is he playing particularly poor to be taken off at half time?

I watched the last game he started. They were dominated in possession by the other team, so you weren't going to see the best of Jack. He had some nice touches/passes but in his defence his teammates seemed to have zero sense of movement or making space for angles. Not sure what happened today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement