Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

It's the suspicious social media activity that raises my concern. I think advisers/agent/club are probably pushing him towards England.

I personally think it would be a new low if players are declaring for countries through residency. That country happens to host the Premier League where the big clubs are and players playing for them have to live. If it would be a bit of a farce if that is exploited to increase their available squad options at the detriment of other nations. It would be a sad indictment of international football.

Anyway we will see how this one plays out in the next few years. Fair chance he won't be good enough to break into an England team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Got to watch Ipswich and Parrott playing. The pitch was just horrific for a start, barely a blade of grass on it. Commentary wasn't much better, the idiot kept calling him Tony Parrott.

In the game itself, Parrott played in a advanced wide left role and showed a few nice touches at times. The problem was Ipswich seemed to lack any real cohesion and he struggled to get into the game as Peterborough dominated. He did have a great chance right at the end, but it was stopped on the line. Actually it's a shame he wasn't playing for Peterborough instead of Ipswich, they are more of a ball playing team and would suit him better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

henke wrote: »
    It's the suspicious social media activity that raises my concern. I think advisers/agent/club are probably pushing him towards England.

I personally think it would be a new low if players are declaring for countries through residency. That country happens to host the Premier League where the big clubs are and players playing for them have to live. If it would be a bit of a farce if that is exploited to increase their available squad options at the detriment of other nations. It would be a sad indictment of international football.

Anyway we will see how this one plays out in the next few years. Fair chance he won't be good enough to break into an England team.

I don't think it would go down well in England to be honest... they have too much talent coming through the ranks for their supporters to be ok with it. I imagine there'd be a fairly hefty nationalistic backlash.

There were mentions of it years ago with Carlo Cudicini, with a lot of people being very against it, even though he was a top level player at the time rather than just a promising kid like Mipo.

Plenty of other players have done it, like Deco and Diego Costa, but I could see the Brits being a lot less open minded and accepting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

He got taken off after coming on.

Hopefully he will get more chances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

He didn’t break sweat for the time he was on from what I saw

Hopefully he will get more chances but disappointing effort for a debut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The lad had a few chances where if he just sprinted hed a chance to be in and he just didnt bother running
    Very strange

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't think it would go down well in England to be honest... they have too much talent coming through the ranks for their supporters to be ok with it. I imagine there'd be a fairly hefty nationalistic backlash.

There were mentions of it years ago with Carlo Cudicini, with a lot of people being very against it, even though he was a top level player at the time rather than just a promising kid like Mipo.

Plenty of other players have done it, like Deco and Diego Costa, but I could see the Brits being a lot less open minded and accepting.

I hope your right on that it will be interesting to see how it plays off or what is going on in the background. England have no need to go after him with their depth of talent and your right perhaps the fans won't be accepting. I have a feeling club agent's might be the driver.

Your right on Costa and Deco although they came from a power house nation in Brazil and couldn't get in the team as far as I am aware.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

sugarman wrote: »
    Cant qualify through residency until you've lived in the country for 5 years continuously after you've reached the age of 18. Even then its not a straight forward process to gain residency, footballers aren't given any special privileges over anyone else and it can be a very long drawn out process.

FIFA voted to change that in the Autumn under article 7.

Now it is 3 years if move to the new country before age of 10. If after that, between 10 and 18 it is five years which is the same as the after 18 rule.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/commentary-on-the-rules-governing-eligibility-to-participate-for-representative-.pdf?cloudid=ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

sugarman wrote: »
    According to St Joeys, he moved over 6 years ago aged 12. So would be eligible for them now.

That new rule is an interesting one though, under Article 5 Part 3, it doesn't look like you can qualify for residency if you have previously represented a national team at any age level in an official competition.

Unfortunately in Mipos case, it looks like he has only played in friendlies for us ...unless the Victory Shield is officially recognised?

They can still acquire nationality under residency if they played games below senior before they are 21. It is undet Article 9 but links back to 6 and 7.

FIFA are strict compared to other sports anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They have a long history of allowing athletes from other countries represent them in other sports (Athletics, Cricket, Cycling, Rugby), I don't think they'd have a problem so long as the player is particularly good.

A bad game now, and they'd be all over then if course given the sh!t they give their own

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    They have a long history of allowing athletes from other countries represent them in other sports (Athletics, Cricket, Cycling, Rugby), I don't think they'd have a problem so long as the player is particularly good.

A bad game now, and they'd be all over then if course given the sh!t they give their own

Perhaps, but I think the demographic that would froth at the mouth about bringing in an immigrant in favour of a proud Brit is not the demographic that pays much attention to those other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    A young Irish player has come on for wham

Hasn't he deleted all mention of him playing for Ireland, unfollowed the FAI and started following the FA on social media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hasn't he deleted all mention of him playing for Ireland, unfollowed the FAI and started following the FA on social media?

His social media is run by a management team, so my guess is those advising him will be pushing him to declare for England if he can.

Always reminds me of the story about Bales agent talking about meeting Bale and his family at 15, and trying to talk him into playing for England because it would be better for him financially and Bales father chewing him a new one for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He might have to give us a refollow after that performance last night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

His social media is run by a management team, so my guess is those advising him will be pushing him to declare for England if he can.

Always reminds me of the story about Bales agent talking about meeting Bale and his family at 15, and trying to talk him into playing for England because it would be better for him financially and Bales father chewing him a new one for it.

The Bale situation was hilarious. You could see that all the pundits were wanting him to play for England but weren't allowed say it because the BBC is the national station for Wales aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Getting to a stage you don't have national teams but 'franchises'

I recall reading that story on Bale which just shows where agents interest lie.

Just an observation and not to stereotype I am wondering if African/foreign players who are not of Irish heritage and feel as strongly about our country are easier turned by agents. A few examples I am thinking off are Karamoko Dembele at Celtic, born in London moved to Scotland at one and after flipflopping between Scotland/England is now with England, despite practically living his whole life in Scotland. Then, there was Armstrong Okoflex with no real English link representing them in games but perhaps because he is ineligible he is now back with Ireland. Then, you have a world class talent like Bale who wouldn't entertain it as he strongly identifies as being Welsh. Likewise, when Parrott was highly touted at 16 years of age at Tottenham there was no mention of England trying to poach him through citizenship.

I don't know, in this modern world are some people not as strong on where they are from and will go with the most lucrative, chance of success option. Shouldn't really be what international football is about.

Getting to a stage you don't have national teams but 'franchises'

Rugby anyone :rolleyes:

Joe Hodge loan to Derry City confirmed. Will be interesting to see how he fares in LOI. Bit of a coup for Derry given how highly regarded he seems to be.

Joe Hodge loan to Derry City confirmed. Will be interesting to see how he fares in LOI. Bit of a coup for Derry given how highly regarded he seems to be.

Six month loan. I'd say he's been loaned out to gain a little experience at senior level before a possible move to a lower league team like Rochdale in August.

Rochdale suits City given how close both clubs are located and the fact Brian Barry-Murphy wants his teams playing attacking football.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I recall reading that story on Bale which just shows where agents interest lie.

Just an observation and not to stereotype I am wondering if African/foreign players who are not of Irish heritage and feel as strongly about our country are easier turned by agents. A few examples I am thinking off are Karamoko Dembele at Celtic, born in London moved to Scotland at one and after flipflopping between Scotland/England is now with England, despite practically living his whole life in Scotland. Then, there was Armstrong Okoflex with no real English link representing them in games but perhaps because he is ineligible he is now back with Ireland. Then, you have a world class talent like Bale who wouldn't entertain it as he strongly identifies as being Welsh. Likewise, when Parrott was highly touted at 16 years of age at Tottenham there was no mention of England trying to poach him through citizenship.

I don't know, in this modern world are some people not as strong on where they are from and will go with the most lucrative, chance of success option. Shouldn't really be what international football is about.

We had a good few lads born in England of Irish parents/grandparents over the years, so the link to their country of birth was not strong based on, presumably their family and social group, and played for a country they may have visited periodically. Theaw guys would have been aware of the discrimination that Irish people suffered in England upto the 90s and 00s. It is not hard to see the same happening in reverse where first or second generation immigrants do not have as strong a sense of Irishness as the guys who have been here since a viking took advantage of some poor cailin way back when.
    It is an argumentment that comes back to the level of integration and belongingness that the immigrant family feels.
    Like I grew up with Italia 90 and Germany 88 and the glory of doing the English for a change. These events might not even be on the radar of someone whose parents arrived in the 80s or 90s other than as a time when the Irish went a bit lala.
    Probably not a conversation for this forum or thread tbf but for some of the second or third generation immigrants it is probably understandable that their connections are not as strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We had a good few lads born in England of Irish parents/grandparents over the years, so the link to their country of birth was not strong based on, presumably their family and social group, and played for a country they may have visited periodically. Theaw guys would have been aware of the discrimination that Irish people suffered in England upto the 90s and 00s. It is not hard to see the same happening in reverse where first or second generation immigrants do not have as strong a sense of Irishness as the guys who have been here since a viking took advantage of some poor cailin way back when.
    It is an argumentment that comes back to the level of integration and belongingness that the immigrant family feels.
    Like I grew up with Italia 90 and Germany 88 and the glory of doing the English for a change. These events might not even be on the radar of someone whose parents arrived in the 80s or 90s other than as a time when the Irish went a bit lala.
    Probably not a conversation for this forum or thread tbf but for some of the second or third generation immigrants it is probably understandable that their connections are not as strong.

Same as Tyson Fury, I think his dad and grandad are from Tuam, you wouldnt think it when you see him wearing the english soccer jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Same as Tyson Fury, I think his dad and grandad are from Tuam, you wouldnt think it when you see him wearing the english soccer jersey.

Ye big John was born in Tuam , his Mother is form Belfast ,His grand mother from Tipperary and

Tyson boxed for Ireland & England as an amateur , he tried to go to the 2008 Olympics under the Irish flag but his Fathers birth was never registered with the state so he couldn't get a passport ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ryan Manning starting for swans in the cup

I see Byrne was not in the APOEL squad for their win today. Mick's other signing Joe Garner got the winner incidentally.

Matt Doherty starts tonight in the Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Doherty having a nightmare for spurs

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Doherty having a nightmare for spurs

And Coleman playing very well on the other side.

Hourihane on OTB last night. Said there was no mention of anything or any issue within the camp about the video. It came as news to him when it was mentioned in the media.

At least the person responsible for leaks to the media and undermining the manager has been banished from having anything to do with the senior team now by Kenny. Still employed by the FAI though.

• Advertisement

So David McGoldrick has deleted his retirement post, changed his profile picture to him in an Ireland jersey and added @FAIreland back into his bio on Instagram. A U-turn on the cards perhaps.

So David McGoldrick has deleted his retirement post, changed his profile picture to him in an Ireland jersey and added @FAIreland back into his bio on Instagram. A U-turn on the cards perhaps.

Interesting! Christ, I hope so... with him in the team, the 4-3-3 makes sense. Without him, it just doesn't.

And with a lot of youth coming through in the positions around him in Connolly, Knight, Molumby etc, it would be great to have an old head in the middle of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Lets hope so. We are so bereft of options up front he is still IMHO without doubt the best target man we have up front.

Interesting! Christ, I hope so... with him in the team, the 4-3-3 makes sense. Without him, it just doesn't.

And with a lot of youth coming through in the positions around him in Connolly, Knight, Molumby etc, it would be great to have an old head in the middle of it all.

If McGoldrick does indeed come out of retirement I'd be looking at a midfield + attack line up of:

.........Hendrick Cullen
    Robinson Browne Connolly
    .............McGoldrick

Browne and McGoldrick linked up well in Slovakia with McGoldrick dropping back into the ten and Browne pushing ahead of him effectively being our number nine and pressing the Slovakian defence.

Hourihane has to have a shout given his form

Cunningham just scored a lovely goal for Preston there. The assist from Browne was pretty sweet as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Alan Browne sets up Cunningham for a nice goal

Good bit of Irish interest there. Hopefully Molumby gets a run and Lenihan for Blackburn playing. Is Williams injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

If McGoldrick does indeed come out of retirement I'd be looking at a midfield + attack line up of:

.........Hendrick Cullen
    Robinson Browne Connolly
    .............McGoldrick

Browne and McGoldrick linked up well in Slovakia with McGoldrick dropping back into the ten and Browne pushing ahead of him effectively being our number nine and pressing the Slovakian defence.

Of the mind myself that we should start giving the likes of Molumby/Knight games over Hendrick. Can they be much worse really? Maybe a little downside but massive upside.

Of the mind myself that we should start giving the likes of Molumby/Knight games over Hendrick. Can they be much worse really? Maybe a little downside but massive upside.

I'd start Molumby, have him and Cullen playing together with Browne ahead of them. Knight for me would be a good replacement to come on for Browne to play that little higher in midfield to put pressure on their defence . But I can't see Kenny not starting Hendrick and Hourihane.

Even with his form I wouldn't start Hourihane. He was in good form for Villa in 2020 too but was still the invisible man that he is for Ireland.

Yeah, would have Hendrick well down my list of CM's at this stage... definitely Molumby ahead of him anyway, along with Browne and Hourihane and Knight.

Hendrick just flatters to deceive too often, and some of the others have been impressing a lot more and getting more involved in games... would definitely be starting Molumby every game at this stage though, seems like he could be our 8 for a decade. Knight comes in sooner or later too, though at his age at the moment i'd be inclined to keep him as an option on the bench to bring an extra burst of midfield energy if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

I'd start Molumby, have him and Cullen playing together with Browne ahead of them. Knight for me would be a good replacement to come on for Browne to play that little higher in midfield to put pressure on their defence . But I can't see Kenny not starting Hendrick and Hourihane.

Even with his form I wouldn't start Hourihane. He was in good form for Villa in 2020 too but was still the invisible man that he is for Ireland.

I agree about hourihane. Mr. invisible. But it goes to show the difference between Premier League and championship.

I don't think he should start but his free taking is great. If he doesn't start we need someone to fill those boots. Brady on his day is that man but who else would we call upon for freekicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Yeah, would have Hendrick well down my list of CM's at this stage... definitely Molumby ahead of him anyway, along with Browne and Hourihane and Knight.

Hendrick just flatters to deceive too often, and some of the others have been impressing a lot more and getting more involved in games... would definitely be starting Molumby every game at this stage though, seems like he could be our 8 for a decade. Knight comes in sooner or later too, though at his age at the moment i'd be inclined to keep him as an option on the bench to bring an extra burst of midfield energy if required.

It's almost like he retired after 2016 but didn't tell anybody and still togs out.

population wrote: »
    It's almost like he retired after 2016 but didn't tell anybody and still togs out.

He made the goal for McClean in wales. Then he retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No he wasn't. Couldn't hold down a starting spot end of last season and hardly got off the bench this season.

Who is the PR/Communications person with the senior international team these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I suppose playing for Ireland might be more appealing for a Championship player. Careerism at its finest.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I suppose playing for Ireland might be more appealing for a Championship player. Careerism at its finest.

Another premier league team might buy him, he has played well this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Another premier league team might buy him, he has played well this season.

Burnley maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Wes league two player of the month. Cant help but think hed be a handy option off the bench if we are stuck, even if he is about 400 years old!

Burnley maybe?

Man city.

hopefully he comes back on board for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement