Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

POKERKING wrote: »
    Wes league two player of the month. Cant help but think hed be a handy option off the bench if we are stuck, even if he is about 400 years old!

He’s the same age as me ya cheeky b0ll*x lol. Wes looks after himself too, and never relied on speed of foot, more speed of thought. Could defo still do a job for Ireland.

Could be a good mentor for Jack Byrne too. Similar lads, from same sort of upbringing and career trajectories so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

In the last few years we've lost Micheal Keane, Declan Rice, James Madison, Jack Grealish and at a streach 'Arry Kane.

Is there a bad smell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Another premier league team might buy him, he has played well this season.

He has played well for sure but even at his best his numbers just aren't going to attract PL interest.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Zico wrote: »
    In the last few years we've lost Micheal Keane, Declan Rice, James Madison, Jack Grealish and at a streach 'Arry Kane.

Is there a bad smell?

Madison and Kane never pulled on an Irish shirt, we didn't lose them.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    He has played well for sure but even at his best his numbers just aren't going to attract PL interest.

Your accusation of him doing a u turn because he might be playing in the championship is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Madison and Kane never pulled on an Irish shirt, we didn't lose them.

And Michael Keane played in underage friendlies, you don't even have to be Irish to play in those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Zico wrote: »

Is there a bad smell?

Rice is the only one we really lost. No one of the others played at senior level or were called up to a senior quad.

I'd say his age would be a bigger factor. He's not a striker that's going to score goals, even though he did score 15 league goals in their promotion season. McGoldrick is more a number 10, a deep lying forward. He's not going to suit every team and it's why he's thrived at Sheffield United even though he was realised by Ipswich at 30.

Wilder loves the man because of the work he puts in on the pitch, our problem is we want him to put the work in and score our goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I’d gladly take him back. We have no one else at the required level yet.
    Disappointed he retired while being a first choice player for us.

• Advertisement

Your accusation of him doing a u turn because he might be playing in the championship is ridiculous.

Why? If we're assuming he has done a u-turn, last weekend basically extinguished any chance of Sheff Utd staying up. Suddenly, Ireland is at the forefront of his thoughts?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Why? If we're assuming he has done a u-turn, last weekend basically extinguished any chance of Sheff Utd staying up. Suddenly, Ireland is at the forefront of his thoughts?

unless he told you why he might be doing a u turn, you cant assume you know why he might be doing it. maybe he thinks playing in the championship will be easier than playing in the premier league and so might be able to play for us again.

unless he told you why he might be doing a u turn, you cant assume you know why he might be doing it. maybe he thinks playing in the championship will be easier than playing in the premier league and so might be able to play for us again.

Talk that there was family issues and he's got four kids too I think.

sugarman wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady is in great form with Sunderland at the moment, 3 assists this afternoon and its not even half time. Since being brought back in after a year in cold under their previous manager, he has 2goals & 7 assists in 11 games. Sure, its League One, but impressive all the same.

It's a pity he's not younger because I think McGeady would have suited Kenny and vice versa.

Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson (second right) was involved in another defensive calamity following his mistakes against Manchester City last week

I predicted that would happen.

why are you saying i can't assume or speculate about reasons for his u-turn but then you're thanking a post speculating about personal, private issues?

• Advertisement

why are you saying i can't assume or speculate about reasons for his u-turn but then you're thanking a post speculating about personal, private issues?

David McGoldrick says the decision to retire from international football was the toughest of his career.

The Sheffield United striker turned 33 last Sunday, just weeks after he announced that he would no longer play for Ireland, having decided to concentrate on his family and his club career.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-retirement-was-hardest-decision-for-david-mcgoldrick-1.4427948

Aiden McGeady is in great form with Sunderland at the moment, 3 assists this afternoon and its not even half time. Since being brought back in after a year in cold under their previous manager, he has 2 goals & 7 assists in 11 games. Sure, its League One, but impressive all the same.

EDIT: Make that 8 assists.

Four assists in this game and just checking there to see where Doncaster are in the table and they could have jumped from 5th to 2nd with a win. Thought they were much lower given the scoreline.

David McGoldrick says the decision to retire from international football was the toughest of his career.

The Sheffield United striker turned 33 last Sunday, just weeks after he announced that he would no longer play for Ireland, having decided to concentrate on his family and his club career.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-retirement-was-hardest-decision-for-david-mcgoldrick-1.4427948

so what are you assuming from that statement that he wants to concentrate on his family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson (second right) was involved in another defensive calamity following his mistakes against Manchester City last week

I predicted that would happen.

Not sure how much I blame Alisson tbh... he’s coming to clear it out, and Kabak (kid only just in the door at the club) took it off his toe. The fault I’d give Alisson is maybe not screaming loud enough for Kabak to get the **** out of the way.

Otherwise had a good game, made 2 absolutely world class saves, before and after the miscommunication.

In more relevant Ireland news, a 4th assist for McGeady, and an assist for Daryl Horgan against Huddersfield too.

Long and Brady on for Burnley now.
    Ben Mee took an awful clatter, I’d say will be missing their midweek game at the very least, so Long probably in for a game or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nathan Collins stretched off with a knee injury, really hope it's not an ACL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Japhet Tanganga gets his first appearance of the season starting RB for Spurs against City.

so what are you assuming from that statement that he wants to concentrate on his family?

He obviously said that was part of the reason. you just have a hunch why he might be doing a u turn on playing for Ireland.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Japhet Tanganga gets his first appearance of the season starting RB for Spurs against City.
    Awful for Doherty, dropped for an reserve centre-back.

Nathan Collins stretched off with a knee injury, really hope it's not an ACL.

Metatarsal injury a local reporter is saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Allison has had a few lapses yes but is still one of the top keeper in the world and his position is fairly secure. Anyway it's a moot point today from an Irish perspective as Adrian was on the bench. Assuming Kelleher still is injured.

Hopefully Collins injury isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He’s had his chances and been ****e tbh.

he could be back at Wolves by the summer.

Semedo hasn’t been chipping in with assists and goals like Doherty did, but he looks the long term plan out there... I’m sure another Prem club will register interest though - at a cut price deal!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Semedo hasn’t been chipping in with assists and goals like Doherty did, but he looks the long term plan out there... I’m sure another Prem club will register interest though - at a cut price deal!

Yeah Semedo mightn't be as productive as Doherty but I doubt they'll take him back.

Maybe Brighton would look at Doherty if they decide to cash in on Lamptey?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Will Bohs get anything from another move or was that a once off?

• Advertisement

Mourinho will be gone before Doherty

Mourinho will be gone before Doherty

Maybe. Still doesn't mean the club wont want a proper right back.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Maybe. Still doesn't mean the club wont want a proper right back.

It's more a matter of what system a replacement manager wants to use. Let's not pretend Doherty is rubbish or something - he was outstanding for Wolves in their system.

A new manager may use him in a way that utilises his strengths, or, they may not.

We need only look across the city to see a new manager experimenting with his fullbacks in a totally different way to the previous one. From being a nailed on starter, Chilwell now looks in a battle for his spot, with Alonso's more attacking properties bringing him into the mix. There's a way to use Doherty that gets a lot more out of him, should a new manager want to explore it.

It's more a matter of what system a replacement manager wants to use. Let's not pretend Doherty is rubbish or something - he was outstanding for Wolves in their system.

A new manager may use him in a way that utilises his strengths, or, they may not.

We need only look across the city to see a new manager experimenting with his fullbacks in a totally different way to the previous one. From being a nailed on starter, Chilwell now looks in a battle for his spot, with Alonso's more attacking properties bringing him into the mix. There's a way to use Doherty that gets a lot more out of him, should a new manager want to explore it.

True but if the new manager isn't using wing backs Doherty needs to get out fast to a team that does. He has repeatedly been shown not to cut it as a right back. Marcos Alonso a perfect comparison to Doherty tbf, no place near a back 4 but brilliant as a wing back.

Byrne not in the APOEL matchday squad for tomorrow, presumably injured still. http://www.apoelfc.com.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=23453&tt=graphic&lang=l1

Nuno to Spurs then?

Four good assists from McGeady, using both feet to get crosses into the box.

McGeady is going on 35, there's not a hope that Kenny is going to be the one to re-call him. He hasn't played a game for us since 2017 and didn't get a call-up when half the squad went out with covid during the November internationals.

McGeady is going on 35, there's not a hope that Kenny is going to be the one to re-call him. He hasn't played a game for us since 2017 and didn't get a call-up when half the squad went out with covid during the November internationals.

To be fair though he hadn't played any games because the Sunderland manager at the time just didn't fancy him for whatever reason, even had to go on loan to Charlton in the championship last season to get games.

If McGeady suits how Kenny wants to play then I hope he'd be brave enough to call him in to the squad, Mick did it with Whelan when we didn't really have any holding midfielders.

But only if he's being called in because he suits the way Kenny wants to play. That was always my biggest gripe with McGeady that managers would pick him and have him play the way they wanted him to play rather than tweak things a bit to suit McGeady.

The best he's played at club level in the last few years was when he went to Preston. That was the season just after we had went to the Euros and the beginning of the WC qualifiers were MONROY blew our good start to the campaign. While he was doing great with Preston because Grayson gave him the opportunity to express himself. Played him on the left where McGeady could often cut inside and allowed their wingers to often change sides throughout the game as they had Horgan or Robinson who could play on either side.

He was poor for us if selected because he was being told this is how we want you to play. You are on the wing, when you get the ball we want you to try beat your man and get the ball in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ex Irishman rice has scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Egan in big trouble here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Egan has broken his foot by the looks of it

Stretched off in a boot

Kenny must have done some awful things in a past life to deserve this luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

We're really in trouble at right back now. Coleman was targetted by Fulham last night and was very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Conor Masterson picked up a long term injury today also

crossman47 wrote: »
    We're really in trouble at right back now. Coleman was targetted by Fulham last night and was very poor.

Coleman was unlucky not to score. went on a great run and took a good shot, just wide.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Still have plenty of cover in that area fortunately with Clark, Duffy, Long and O'Shea.

Cover is one thing but Egan is the best we have imo. Long isn't playing regularly enough and Duffy is struggling. Keogh is still about if we get really stuck

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Egan has broken his foot by the looks of it

Stretched off in a boot

Kenny must have done some awful things in a past life to deserve this luck

Didn't even watch the Newcastle game because knowing our luck was expecting Clark to get injured too. Just need to wrap him in cotton wool between now and Serbia.

That's Collins and Egan now who look to be out long term. O'Shea I can't see getting much game time at West Brom for the rest of the season, I'd rather start Doherty at CB over Duffy but hopefully Long gets a good run of games now. Has always looked good whenever he's had to cover, whether it be for club or country.

True but Long and O'Shea done alright together back in November. Long is due for a run in the Burnley side with Mee out injured at the moment.

I'd say Kenny would call up Lenihan before Keogh.

You think Kenny is gonna drop Keogh from the squad?? I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

You think Kenny is gonna drop Keogh from the squad?? I can't see that happening.

Keogh hasn't been in any squads since his car crash.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Keogh hasn't been in any squads since his car crash.

Absolute brainfart by me. I was thinking of Duffy rather than Keogh. Time for a break from work I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement