Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Didn't even watch the Newcastle game because knowing our luck was expecting Clark to get injured too. Just need to wrap him in cotton wool between now and Serbia.

That's Collins and Egan now who look to be out long term. O'Shea I can't see getting much game time at West Brom for the rest of the season, I'd rather start Doherty at CB over Duffy but hopefully Long gets a good run of games now. Has always looked good whenever he's had to cover, whether it be for club or country.

I think we are in for a real struggle with the national team for a while tbh.

Randolph- Not playing at West Ham
    Kelleher- Done well when called upon.

Coleman- Has done ok but might struggle to keep his place at Everton
    Doherty- Really struggling. Tanganga used ahead of him at RB

Egan-Injured
    Duffy-Terrible form
    O'Shea-Struggled at PL level, out of favour
    Collins-Great season but injured.
    Clarke-Getting games now at Newcastle.
    Long-Struggling for games at Burnley

Stevens-Worrying form the last few months

Hendrick- Oout of favour at Newcastle.
    Molumphy-Struggling for games at Preston
    Cullen- Doing well at Anderlecht
    Browne-Solid season
    Hourihane- Doing well at Swansea, out of favour at Villa.
    Brady-Playing at Burnley
    O'Dowda-Poor season at Bristol
    Byrne-Tough start at Apoel
    Horgan-Getting games at Wycome
    McClean-Getting games at Stoke.
    Knight-Having a great season, might get a move to the PL.

Connolly-Poor season, Championship loan might be needed
    Idah-Few injuries
    Obafemi-Out of favour
    Parrot-Struggled at Championship level

Been a tough season particuraly for younger players. Moves to European leagues like Belgium, Denmark, Sweden etc might be beneficial. The standard of football is pretty high and may benefit younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

wadacrack wrote: »
    O'Dowda-Poor season at Bristol
    O'Dowda has been injured for quite a while now. Up until that point, he was actually doing quite well for Bristol City. Having seen him play in a decent ball playing Bristol team, I can see why Kenny likes him. He's very comfortable on the ball and able to cope with the physicality of the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

O'Dowda has been injured for quite a while now. Up until that point, he was actually doing quite well for Bristol City. Having seen him play in a decent ball playing Bristol team, I can see why Kenny likes him. He's very comfortable on the ball and able to cope with the physicality of the Championship.

I like him wide if we have 2 up top, but as a wing forward in a front 3 he’s just not direct enough. It’s just not his game. He wants to go outside using the wide open spaces rather than making runs inside been CB and FB to give options and take shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I like him wide if we have 2 up top, but as a wing forward in a front 3 he’s just not direct enough. It’s just not his game. He wants to go outside using the wide open spaces rather than making runs inside been CB and FB to give options and take shots.

Last game I seen him play for Bristol he was part of a midfield 3, probably the most advanced. Agree that he doesn't works as part of a front 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Last game I seen him play for Bristol he was part of a midfield 3, probably the most advanced. Agree that he doesn't works as part of a front 3

Pretty much played as an attacking midfielder for Bristol this season and I'm sure MON has also played him in midfield for a few friendlies. Think he could do alright there rather than out on the right but playing on the left is definitely his best position when playing out wide.

Actually wouldn't mind seeing Connolly on the right with Robinson or even O'Dowda playing on the left. Think if he played on the right he'd be more inclined to pick out a teammate, whereas on the left when he's gotten in behind he more often than not has to either cut back onto his right to shoot or takes the shoot from a tight angle rather than looking for a teammate with his left.

If he's on the right and gets in behind the defender then he's already on his stronger right foot to pick out a teammate and if he fancies a shot he'll be playing the shot across the keeper. So if the keeper can't hold the shot it might rebound back to another of our players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard to know what to make of O'Dowda at times, feels like his career is just drifting by without ever really catching fire. Had a look at his stats there over the past few seasons, actually surprised at the amount of games he has played for Bristol as I feel anytime I check their lineups he is out injured, but has managed almost 140 games for them in his 4.5 seasons so far. Poor goalscoring return with only 6 goals though.

He has never done terribly in an Ireland shirt but hasn't exactly stood out either, although we have been poor really the last few years. Worthy of a place in the squad as out wide is an area we are particularly weak in but unfortunately hard to see him ever kicking on and becoming a key player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Hard to know what to make of O'Dowda at times, feels like his career is just drifting by without ever really catching fire. Had a look at his stats there over the past few seasons, actually surprised at the amount of games he has played for Bristol as I feel anytime I check their lineups he is out injured, but has managed almost 140 games for them in his 4.5 seasons so far. Poor goalscoring return with only 6 goals though.

He has never done terribly in an Ireland shirt but hasn't exactly stood out either, although we have been poor really the last few years. Worthy of a place in the squad as out wide is an area we are particularly weak in but unfortunately hard to see him ever kicking on and becoming a key player for us.

That is the same as the whole Irish squad, I like O Dowda but lets face it our team are just an average bunch of players. one area they need to improve though is most of them have no heart, they didn't even get a yellow card against England in the last game they played.

Parrott starting for Ipswich as centre forward. Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that tonight is the night he gets his first senior goal.

Parrott starting for Ipswich as centre forward. Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that tonight is the night he gets his first senior goal.

Great chance alright, at home against one of the worst teams in the league. Should have opportunities to do some damage anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Four good assists from McGeady, using both feet to get crosses into the box.

Always thought McGeady got a raw deal off the fans with criticism. Whatever about poor finishing, crossing or no end product, he always put doubt in the oppositions mind. He drags alot of defenders out of position with his dribbling and causes general chaos for their defense. So he'd be very useful, even today, to bring on for the last 10-15 minutes of games. I think people get bogged down on his negatives and overlook the amount of players he drags out of position when he dribbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Always thought McGeady got a raw deal off the fans with criticism. Whatever about poor finishing, crossing or no end product, he always put doubt in the oppositions mind. He drags alot of defenders out of position with his dribbling and causes general chaos for their defense. So he'd be very useful, even today, to bring on for the last 10-15 minutes of games. I think people get bogged down on his negatives and overlook the amount of players he drags out of position when he dribbles.

Fair comments. He was a very good player at his peak. When you look at how bad we are in terms of attacking talent a player like McGeady anywhere near his peak would be head and shoulders above anything we have right now.

eire4 wrote: »
    Fair comments. He was a very good player at his peak. When you look at how bad we are in terms of attacking talent a player like McGeady anywhere near his peak would be head and shoulders above anything we have right now.

Something a bit different too. No harm as an option on the bench, since we're including League 1 options anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Duff on RTE CL coverage tonight, should get more info on his reasons for leaving the setup

As laughable as it is now, there weren't many players in the world better at dribbling when he was at his peak, in terms of taking on the man. A frustrating player in the sense of doing the hard part, yet his cross wouldn't beat the first man.

Thing I noticed alot though, is the opposition would get the ball back after his poor end product, but the Irish players would be higher up the pitch running in for the failed cross, or pass accross box. Ireland would often win the ball back due to being high up the field and a few passes later be in on goal. And McGeady would be panned for his poor end product in the move, but the reason Ireland got in on goal in the first place is because the opposition defense were pulled completely out of position due to McGeady. Indirectly he was very effective, but got little praise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

As laughable as it is now, there weren't many players in the world better at dribbling when he was at his peak, in terms of taking on the man. A frustrating player in the sense of doing the hard part, yet his cross wouldn't beat the first man.

Thing I noticed alot though, is the opposition would get the ball back after his poor end product, but the Irish players would be higher up the pitch running in for the failed cross, or pass accross box. Ireland would often win the ball back due to being high up the field and a few passes later be in on goal. And McGeady would be panned for his poor end product in the move, but the reason Ireland got in on goal in the first place is because the opposition defense were pulled completely out of position due to McGeady. Indirectly he was very effective, but got little praise

Agree with what your saying there and your analysis and as I said above given how dreadful we are now especially in terms of a lack of genuine attacking quality if we had a player like McGeady now on the team he would be head and shoulders our best attacking player. I would also throw in that when McGeady was at his best he occupied a lot of opposition defenders opening up space for others as well.

Agree with what your saying there and your analysis and as I said above given how dreadful we are now especially in terms of a lack of genuine attacking quality if we had a player like McGeady now on the team he would be head and shoulders our best attacking player. I would also throw in that when McGeady was at his best he occupied a lot of opposition defenders opening up space for others as well.

People getting ridiculed for suggesting bringing McGeady back. Worth a spot on the bench still imo, throw him on the last 10-15 minutes of games. What's there to lose. Fcuk all else happening in terms of a creative spark. He's still quick and nimble.

Really think his criticism over the years was very unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Duff talking but not saying why he left.

Think the big issue with McGeady was he didn't really suit the way that managers wanted to play. So his negatives were highlighted more than his positives. That was always my biggest issue when he was selected that managers would want him to play their way rather than giving him a little leeway to really express himself, mentioned it in a later post when you consider his form in 16/17 for Preston compared to when he was called up in 2017.

Georgia away is probably the only time I can think of where he was given that leeway when MON played him central and he scored that cracker of a goal to win the game in the last minute. Pretty sure he also holds the record for most assists by an Ireland player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Duff talking but not saying why he left.

He seemed upset about the whole ordeal

• Advertisement

Think the big issue with McGeady was he didn't really suit the way that managers wanted to play. So his negatives were highlighted more than his positives. That was always my biggest issue when he was selected that managers would want him to play their way rather than giving him a little leeway to really express himself, mentioned it in a later post when you consider his form in 16/17 for Preston compared to when he was called up in 2017.

Georgia away is probably the only time I can think of where he was given that leeway when MON played him central and he scored that cracker of a goal to win the game in the last minute. Pretty sure he also holds the record for most assists by an Ireland player.

Tends to be the way with us and managers. They don't trust the team or players, so play a rigid defensive system. Any creative threat is perceived as a lose end

Since McClean is back in the spotlight, I think it's very poor the lack of support he got off his Irish team mates over the years. Shameful really. Keep the heads down and take their paypacket in their clubs so the attention isn't drawn on them. Fcuk all principle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

RoryMac wrote: »

Did he feel like he wasn't contributing much himself I wonder?

Had been thinking about that before - what the christ is a number 3 coach meant to do during a pandemic. Can't really go scouting players, and training has become hugely restricted - especially with international setups. Must just feel like a huge waste of time under current circumstances, especially for a guy who would see his strengths as working directly with players.

Since McClean is back in the spotlight, I think it's very poor the lack of support he got off his Irish team mates over the years. Shameful really. Keep the heads down and take their paypacket in their clubs so the attention isn't drawn on them. Fcuk all principle

They might have backed him if he just refused to wear the poppy and left it at that but he goes looking for trouble with all his social media nonsense. he brings a lot of attention on himself.

sugarman wrote: »
    He was also coaching Shels u17s.

I don't mean "what's he meant to do during a pandemic" as in boredom, I mean it in terms of what can he really achieve for an international team during the circumstances of a pandemic. I'd imagine it's very frustrating for someone in his role. At least with a club side, you're in a proper bubble, and you can still work with players and help them progress on a day to day basis in some capacity. But with an international team in that role your hands are fairly tied at the moment.

I wonder if he felt he wasn't contributing much himself under the circumstances.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    They might have backed him if he just refused to wear the poppy and left it at that but he goes looking for trouble with all his social media nonsense. he brings a lot of attention on himself.

This is a bit of a dangerous line of argument to go down... veers very close to "He was asking for it"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pgj2015 wrote: »

And there’s the victim blaming. Didn’t take long.

Someone asked David Meyler last night on Twitter why he never backed McClean when they were Ireland team mates.

“Honestly I was to afraid to get involved. I stood by and watched a friend & teammate get abused time after time and thought to myself I don’t want that aimed towards me and my family.”

At least he was honest about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

He didn't. And it's hardly a surprise. I'd say he will be playing for Shamrock Rovers by this time next year.

Not really. For example, he knew full well what he was doing when he posted a pic of himself in a balaclava on Instagram and the reaction it was going to get.

It really didn't help his case against the abuse and David Meyler admitted on the Twitter there the other day that he didn't agree with posting that kind of stuff either and it was a partial reason as to why he didn't openly back him before now.

He never said it was a reason he didn’t back him, partially or not. You are doing exactly what Meyler didn’t want done in his post, twisting his words.

“I’m fully aware of what James has done in the past & certain things I’ve told him are wrong but at the same time that doesn’t warrant bullets in the post, constant messaging about what you’ll do to his wife & kids. Dislike the guy all you want but there’s a line... The history lesson I didn’t agree with it. I don’t want my words twisted that’s all. Now a days you need to be clear and precise with what you say because it’s taken out of context especially on social media.“

Had to pop out to the bathroom there to scrub my eyes with bleach and a toilet brush after watching the full 90 minutes of this sh1te. Ipswich were pure garbage and Parrott struggled to get into the game. He wasn't getting too many chances created for him, but equally he wasn't able to link up any play at all with the players in the front three. One thing that was apparent was that the opposition players were deliberately targeting Parrott to good effect. They kept to him pretty tight and were able to bully him off the ball a bit too easily at times.

Overall, really disappointing from Parrott. Pretty clear he is struggling with the step up to senior football, he just doesn't have the physicality to compete as the point in a front three. Since he is not the fastest player anyway, I think he would be best served spending some time in the gym bulking up. Might make him able to better compete.

Incidentally, Alan Judge was the only player worth a button for Ipswich. He came on at the 60 minute mark and created some chances, including a great one-on-one that they should have scored from.

• Advertisement

The balaclava post was so stupid, he really was asking for it to be honest with that one. he needs to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The ref headbutted Alan Judge tonight apparently:pac:

The ref headbutted Alan Judge tonight apparently:pac:
    Joke decision. Judge collided with a Northampton player in the box and went down, wasn't looking for a penalty, then got yellowed for diving. Not sure why the ref squared up to Judge.

Joke decision. Judge collided with a Northampton player in the box and went down, wasn't looking for a penalty, then got yellowed for diving. Not sure why the ref squared up to Judge.

The sending off was ridiculous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I had high hopes for Parrott but his lack of goals is worrying. I was optimistic about our attacking options a year or so ago but there's little to feel good about atm. I used to wonder when we'd have someone that can challenge Keane's scoring record, but at this rate I'm wondering when we'll have someone that can challenge Quinn's tally of 21.

Sometimes strikers burst on the scene from out of nowhere, so just have to hope that happens with us. Sadly, it's looking unlikely it will be in the next year or two.

I know he didnt, I did. Its no twisting of words. If you disagree with something or someone in life in general, you're hardly going to come out and still back it / them, are you?

You said “David Meyler admitted on the Twitter there the other day that he didn't agree with posting that kind of stuff either and it was a partial reason as to why he didn't openly back him before now.”

Meyler said the reason he didn’t back him was that he was afraid of him and his family being abused, he said absolutely nothing about partial reasons or any other such nonsense. I’ve quoted exactly what Meyler said above.

Yeah I get you, but I meant he obviously knew all that going into the job and took up the u17s roll with Shels to have those things in between International breaks.

I doubt the actual roll of the job had much to do with him leaving anyway, everything seems to point to his issues with Alan Kelly and the FAI surrounding the whole videogate thing and how it was handled.

I'm not sure about that... he took the job at a time where the reality of what football in a pandemic would look like was a complete unknown. It was right at the beginning of it all. I'd say after a few very very frustrating international windows of players being isolated in their rooms away from each other at all times except during training, a continuous rotation of players in and out of the camp due to covid tests, and quite stringent rules on minimising contact on the training ground, that it all started looking a bit pointless with respect to his particular role, and what he had initially hoped to achieve. And then, as you say, the fact that all the stuff around it was an irritating FAI pain in the hole would make stepping away all the easier.

I had high hopes for Parrott but his lack of goals is worrying. I was optimistic about our attacking options a year or so ago but there's little to feel good about atm. I used to wonder when we'd have someone that can challenge Keane's scoring record, but at this rate I'm wondering when we'll have someone that can challenge Quinn's tally of 21.

Sometimes strikers burst on the scene from out of nowhere, so just have to hope that happens with us. Sadly, it's looking unlikely it will be in the next year or two.

In a way it's a bit of a shame that he's gotten so much of a spotlight. Really at his age, and with his only success coming at underage and reserve levels, we shouldn't have even been thinking about him at all. It's just the total dearth of options that has us looking that direction and perhaps putting unfair pressure on him at this stage.

Or even someone to challenge david mcgoldricks tally of 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Never mind Keane or Quinn, we happened to be chatting about David Kelly last night. 9 goals in 26 appearances for Ireland. I would take your hand off for that kind of return at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Never mind Keane or Quinn, we happened to be chatting about David Kelly last night. 9 goals in 26 appearances for Ireland. I would take your hand off for that kind of return at this stage.

Yeah and had one robbed off him against England as well as a Newcastle fan I'll always have a soft spot for him scored one of the most important goals in the clubs history to prevent a relegation to division 3

Hell I’d take a David Connolly right now.

Mick McCarthy flying with Cardiff. Not bad for a useless manager. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does that mean cardiff are better than the rep of ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Did he feel like he wasn't contributing much himself I wonder?

Had been thinking about that before - what the christ is a number 3 coach meant to do during a pandemic. Can't really go scouting players, and training has become hugely restricted - especially with international setups. Must just feel like a huge waste of time under current circumstances, especially for a guy who would see his strengths as working directly with players.

I didnt listen. I find him a bit painful!

But did he say anything about the manager?
    I gather he didnt
    i.e. no headlines - Duff backs Kenny

In a way it's a bit of a shame that he's gotten so much of a spotlight. Really at his age, and with his only success coming at underage and reserve levels, we shouldn't have even been thinking about him at all. It's just the total dearth of options that has us looking that direction and perhaps putting unfair pressure on him at this stage.

Our players are always going to take longer to adjust to senior football given the difference in coaching here compared to other places. There's lads going over to England at 16 that are at the same development as a 14 year old whose come up through the system in England.

Take Lee O'Connor for example, he played again last night as Tranmere beat Oxford in the EFL trophy semi final. He started again in midfield as the holding midfielder in a midfield diamond and had a good game. He's got the footballing brain, it's what the Tranmere manager talked about when asked about O'Connor playing in midfield. Said he has the football intelligence to play in any position, but will probably be a late developer while he gets used to senior football.

And as you said the total lack of options that we have up front has people hoping these teenagers can make an immediate impact and then some get written off if they don't immediately deliver.

fryup wrote: »
    does that mean cardiff are better than the rep of ireland?

Well they did finish 2nd and 5th in their last two championship seasons so I'd say they're better than us since I'd class us as a mid table championship team at best.

Conor Ronan came on as a sub for Grasshopper in their 2-1 win yesterday, involved in one attack (3min 50sec mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pAOiFOx-tg

• Advertisement

Well they did finish 2nd and 5th in their last two championship seasons so I'd say they're better than us since I'd class us as a mid table championship team at best.

He was brought in to move them away from the relegation places. He has them pushing for the playoffs now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement