Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

If you are to believe Twitter , hourihane wasn’t great last 2 games , free kick aside

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ajayi got a red for West Brom which gave O'Shea 60 mins. Has a chance now to steal the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

In typical Coleman fashion he is giving his interview now with a mop of hair. Unlike other players with fresh cuts.

That's a man respecting lock down. Love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ajayi got a red for West Brom which gave O'Shea 60 mins. Has a chance now to steal the spot

O Shea also played really well when he came on. Often looking to make a forward pass when winning the ball instead of clearing it or going short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If you are to believe Twitter , hourihane wasn’t great last 2 games , free kick aside

A lot of Irish fans like to ignore his all round game and base inclusion purely on what LiveScore says.

Hasn't scored for Ireland in 2 years, and hasn't done much in that time while wearing the green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish fans like to ignore his all round game and base inclusion purely on what LiveScore says.

Hasn't scored for Ireland in 2 years, and hasn't done much in that time while wearing the green jersey.

Really, it just comes down to if someone else is doing more. We don't have the greatest bunch of options. At the moment, I'd have Cullen and Molumby locked in for 2 of the 3 midfield spots, with the likes of Hourihane, Knight, Hendrick, and Browne battling for the last one. Maybe McCarthy, Brady and Byrne on the fringe as options if they can get over their injuries and get a run of games going very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

For someone renewed for his set pieces, and in a time where our goals were more likely to come from set pieces, Jack Byrne has contributed to the same number of set piece goals scored as Hourihane has.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really, it just comes down to if someone else is doing more. We don't have the greatest bunch of options. At the moment, I'd have Cullen and Molumby locked in for 2 of the 3 midfield spots, with the likes of Hourihane, Knight, Hendrick, and Browne battling for the last one. Maybe McCarthy, Brady and Byrne on the fringe as options if they can get over their injuries and get a run of games going very soon.

Cullen should definitely be starting.

Even if McCarthy is fit, he is not the sitter Ireland (of now) need. Kenny must have been sniffing glue or something, but he was going on about McCarthy like he was Beckenbauer. Have we been watching the same player the last 10 years??

McCarthy instinctively, is not a player who covets possession. As a sitter in a direct team...on his day... absolutely. But if you're playing out from the back you need somebody who willl continuously hunt for the ball from the back 4/goalkeeper.

You can't have both Hendrick and Hourihane in our midfield. Two Harry Houdini's, far too partial to abdicating responsibility.

All 3 of our mids should be players who WANT the ball ALL the time. They should be ENRAGED when the ball is passed back instead of inside mid to them.

The days of high energy midfielders who get up down and around the pitch and just point at someone else to pass to should be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

We need a ball player in midfield so Hourihane should probably start

Molumby , Cullen , Hendrick all just runners with no creativity. At least Hourihane might give you one moment of quality, which we badly need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cullen should definitely be starting.

Even if McCarthy is fit, he is not the sitter Ireland (of now) need. Kenny must have been sniffing glue or something, but he was going on about McCarthy like he was Beckenbauer. Have we been watching the same player the last 10 years??

McCarthy instinctively, is not a player who covets possession. As a sitter in a direct team...on his day... absolutely. But if you're playing out from the back you need somebody who willl continuously hunt for the ball from the back 4/goalkeeper.

You can't have both Hendrick and Hourihane in our midfield. Two Harry Houdini's, far too partial to abdicating responsibility.

All 3 of our mids should be players who WANT the ball ALL the time. They should be ENRAGED when the ball is passed back instead of inside mid to them.

The days of high energy midfielders who get up down and around the pitch and just point at someone else to pass to should be long gone.

I agree totally that we should be looking for midfielders who want to get on the ball and aren't shying away from it. Hourihane and Hendrick have been anonymous for us and there have been times where I've sat in the Aviva wondering if Jeff is actively trying to avoid getting on the ball.

A midfield of Cullen, Molumby and Knight would be great to see but I would say its not likely to happen in March. Maybe one or maximum two of them will feature but I'd almost guarantee one of Hendrick or Hourihane will start (and based on current form I'd be picking Hourihane).

You'd think McCarthy and Cullen will be competing for the holding midfield role. Being honest I have not seen much of Cullen play, was not a part of the strong u21 team, didn't see much of him for Charlton and haven't seen him play for Anderlecht. It sounds like he is doing well and deserves a place in the team but I think you are being a little harsh on Mccarthy who has been playing at a higher level than Cullen ever has for 10+ years.

The problems with McCarthy though are that 1) his fitness, I would say at all times there is at least a 50% chance he will be injured so makes it hard to plan around him. And 2) it has been so long since he has really had a solid run in a team, especially for Ireland, that it's hard to know if he is still the player he was.

Apart from the names mentioned above you'd have to mention Brady and Browne too who are both playing regularly and have to be in contention for a place in the team too, Kenny seems to rate Brady as a central midfielder as opposed to a winger but you'd think he will get into the team in one way or another. I'm a huge Jack Byrne fan but unless he can break into the APOEL team then I don't think he will feature.

tastyt wrote: »
    We need a ball player in midfield so Hourihane should probably start

Molumby , Cullen , Hendrick all just runners with no creativity. At least Hourihane might give you one moment of quality, which we badly need

I don't know what people's definition of a "ball player" is.

For me it goes something like this:

Wants to be on the ball all the time. Like .. all the time. I mean to me a ball player would ideally like to have the ball for 90 minutes and only give the ball away for an assist or after playing it to somebody who they know is going to play it back to them in a better position... triangles, etc

Also... creativity, invention, guile. Whatever you want to call it. But more to the point they set a tempo and become the focal point in the opposition's half.

Wes was the last ball player we had with these traits and Jack Byrne is currently the only player with the skillset to live up to this, but as yet is unproven.

Hourihane scores some crackers, does indeed get a couple of assists but control tempo he does not. Demand the ball he does not. He can spray a pass, but his range of clinical assist making passes in the final third isn't of the standard needed to consistently create openings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As it stands, it looks like we're likely to have all our midfielders available for the March internationals. McCarthy is apparently back in training, he could feature for Palace on Monday. Brady picked up an injury last Wednesday, but hopefully it's nothing too serious and he'll be back soon. Cullen was injured recently, but he returned for Anderlecht's last game.

Hendrick, Hourihane, Brady, McCarthy, Cullen, Molumby, Knight, and Browne are the ones I would be expecting to compete for six midfield positions. Browne is playing right back, so I think he'll be bottom on the list. Hendrick, Hourihane, Brady, and McCarthy will all be there unless injured/unfit. I think Cullen will definitely make the squad given he is playing regularly at a decent level. The final slot will be between Molumby and Knight. Molumby is finally playing games and doing ok. Knight is playing more and been doing better. My guess is Knight will get the final slot, but it's a toss up.

I can't see Byrne featuring in March as the regular Cypriot season ended for APOEL today and their relegation fixture play-off's don't resume until April.

Randolph

Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens

McCarthy

Hendrick Hourihane

Duffy: Isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet. Is being encouraged to bring the ball out. Losing ball = losing confidence. Kenny's high defensive line is put under threat from Duffy's lack of confidence in his own abilities (pace). Dropping back deeper.

McCarthy: Will occasional but more often than not won't come fishing for the ball from the defence. Also, more often than not, his passing is sideways/backwards (i.e. not brave) As game goes, tends to go out of his way to not receive the ball.

Hendrick: Fair play to him he'll run for Ireland, especially when there's the chance of the ball being passed to him. A midfielder who doesn't want to be on the ball. Can you believe it.

Hourihane: I do feel somewhat sorry for Hourihane, as he's surrounded by players who don't seem interested in receiving the ball. Conor himself lacks the mobility and creativity to hold up then ball and bring others into play.

When Molumby came into side, Hourihane dropped to deep lying midfielder. Once again, was not coming deep often enough to claim ball from the back. When he did, Hendrick was out of sight quicker than Conor could turn.

This all seems very obvious watching Ireland. If we're starting players who

a.) don't want the ball or

b.) aren't comfortable on the ball

then making a possession based game work really will be a tough nut to crack.

sugarman wrote: »
    I'm just praying he doesn't persist with a 3 of Brady, Hendrick and Hourihane.

Its such a static midfield. None of them look to get on the ball and create and none of them have what it takes to do whats required in the holding role either..
    I think he only played those three out of necessity (McCarthy was injured, Cullen less proven). I doubt it is lost on Kenny that our best game under his reign came against Slovakia where we had McCarthy filling the holding role very well. I think it's nailed on that when we line up against Serbia in March, either McCarthy or Cullen will fill that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

For someone renewed for his set pieces, and in a time where our goals were more likely to come from set pieces, Jack Byrne has contributed to the same number of set piece goals scored as Hourihane has.

I’m not sure if some people here know what they’re even on about. Hourihane over the last 4.5 seasons has so far 34 goals and 33 assists between the Championship and PL. Are you seriously comparing what Byrne done in the LOI with Hourihane’s record?

Then we have other people here going on about Cullen and Knight when Browne is the best rated Irish player in the Championship. He’s literally miles ahead of the others. Of his 27 games he had played 20 in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Then we have other people here going on about Cullen and Knight when Browne is the best rated Irish player in the Championship. He’s literally miles ahead of the others. Of his 27 games he had played 20 in midfield.

Yeah I've been surprised by the lack of mentions for Browne to start. My choice for next month on form would be Cullen, Browne and one of Knight or Hourihane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I’m not sure if some people here know what they’re even on about. Hourihane over the last 4.5 seasons has so far 34 goals and 33 assists between the Championship and PL. Are you seriously comparing what Byrne done in the LOI with Hourihane’s record?

I don't know if I'm talking about the same point Johnnyryan was making, but Hourihane's stats are arguably a bit deceiving to his overall game. He can score goals and make assists which is 100% welcome and combined with his current form, why I think he should start. But I would not describe him as a playmaker or an overly creative player.

He is a great striker of the ball and can produce moments of magic, but Byrne is a genuine creator and to go back to the point a few posts above, is someone who wants to get on the ball as much as possible and makes things happen. That is what we need in the Ireland team. Having said that, you are correct in saying he has done this at a lower level than Hourihane and has not exactly hit the ground running in Cyprus so I don't know if he will make the squad even. They are very different players over 90 mins, but we are sorely lacking a player like Byrne, Hourihane is not the same type of player despite the stats.
    He is not a player to control a game and create a bucket load of chances in the way Hoolahan was for example.

Creative players are often referred to as luxuries, but Hourihane is actually a luxury player as I think to accommodate him you need others in the team to make up for what he lacks aside from his ball striking.

Yeah I've been surprised by the lack of mentions for Browne to start. My choice for next month on form would be Cullen, Browne and one of Knight or Hourihane

I'd definitely want Molumby in there - has looked very good for Ireland in midfield, and playing week in week out for PNE now. Himself and Cullen would be clear favourites at 8 and 6.

Third spot is Browne, Knight, or Hourihane. Hourihane's the form player, but given how little the players will get to train together between a lack of time and the covid restrictions, there's a definite appeal to playing Browne and Molumby together in front of Cullen, since the two lads are training and playing together every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

nice to see Coleman finally back to some form today - I still get angry about that Welsh game, such a nasty challenge to such a sound and talented guy

Cool your jets, I'm talking about international football, since this is the Republic of Ireland thread. Conor Hourihane and Jack Byrne have contributed to the same number of goals scored from set pieces at INTERNATIONAL level. So the arguement of his set pieces are good so he should start is null in void

And yes I would have Browne in midfield, said it before that Browne and Cullen should start in midfield.

• Advertisement

If McCarthy is fit, Id bet Cullen wont even get a call up. He wasnt in any of his initial squads. Took a colossal Covid withdrawal and even then he only gave him 23 minutes in a nothing game v Bulgaria. I dont think Kenny rates him unfortunately, hopefully his recent since moving to Anderlecht has changed that but I wouldnt bank on it.

McCarthy has been god awful any time I've watched him play in recent times for Palace, doesnt cover half the ground he used to and really looked off the pace.

He had a poor enough game for us against Finland (game prior Slovakia) was at fault for the goal ...and in the Slovakia game he done alright, but it was no coincidence we played much better when he went off after the hour mark and Browne came on.

There's also the fact that he's just not good enough to anchor the midfield by himself, never has been, it's why he's probably always played in a midfield duo, mostly with McArthur as they always seem to end up at the same club. Yet it's baffling when you see him named as the pivot in midfield when he's way more comfortable in a double pivot having that midfield partner next to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

After the Europa game I thought Doherty may have kept his place today but nope Tanganga returned. Thank christ Colemans in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

As disappointing as it is to say this, all evidence to date suggests Kenny will go with Hendrick, Hourihane, plus one.

Cullen* barely got in despite a huge number of withdrawals for the Bulgaria game. Kenny doesn't seem to rate him.

*Starting again today for Anderlecht in 12:30 kickoff where they could move up to third place

pjohnson wrote: »
    After the Europa game I thought Doherty may have kept his place today but nope Tanganga returned. Thank christ Colemans in form.

Well even Coleman is in and out at Everton. But his form of good now when he does play.

As disappointing as it is to say this, all evidence to date suggests Kenny will go with Hendrick, Hourihane, plus one.

Cullen* barely got in despite a huge number of withdrawals for the Bulgaria game. Kenny doesn't seem to rate him.

*Starting again today for Anderlecht in 12:30 kickoff where they could move up to third place

Sadly I think you're right on the midfield.

The one constant from the games to date was that a midfield of Hendrick, Hourihane and someone else was used despite it being abundantly clear we weren't going to create anything in that area.

Duffy not even on the bench for Celtic tonight. I wonder is it connected with the onlyfans model who leaked some of the messages they had been exchanging.

EuwreF1XUAMPl8u?format=jpg&name=large

Perhaps Celtic will try to use some sort of trumped up misconduct charge to try and terminate his loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Duffy been Irelands best player for 2 or 3 years

Having a tough season and people getting on his back

Typical irish mentality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Nuts102 wrote: »

Typical irish mentality

People are just calling a spade a spade, he has been woeful this season, if he was 34+, people would be saying it is time for him to hang up the boots.

I don't think it is an exclusively Irish trait to be getting on his back either. I saw English fans on twitter once having a go at Harry Kane after a poor England performance, saying he wasn't good enough to wear the England shirt lol. I don't think Harry would ever get a message like that from Ireland fans if he had decided to play for us.

Typical irish mentality

Potters first season at Brighton was a tough season for Duffy. Going from first choice and player of the season to being deemed surplus to requirements in less than a year.

His form falling off a cliff, and sitting on the bench while a 21yr old kid with more appearances for Greenock Morton than Celtic is starting ahead of you in the SPL is more than just a tough season.

Luckily for him I can see Mick wanting to bring him to Cardiff. Cardiff are a good team that hit some bad form but Mick coming in seems to have turned them around. So there's a good chance they'll finish in the play offs again this season. Duffy could easily be playing Premier League football next season again or signed to one of the better championship teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Typical irish mentality

No one is knocking his displays for Ireland but he's been ****e for Celtic, thats the truth, its not getting on his back, just calling it as it it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No one is knocking his displays for Ireland but he's been ****e for Celtic, thats the truth, its not getting on his back, just calling it as it it

There’s no reason to drop him for Ireland unless there’s a better option at cb. He can return to the EPL or English Championship next season and resume his otherwise successful career. He’s not the first player to come to Celtic and bomb out who have had decent careers at a high level elsewhere. Teemu Pukki looks a totally different player at club and international level since he left Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Not sure what to believe because Whoscored tell me he's the 8th best player in Scotland.

3 goals, 1 assist and 4 motms.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/253/Tournaments/20/Seasons/8191/Stages/18606/PlayerStatistics/Scotland-Premiership-2020-2021

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Irish people really over value Celtic as a club. They were a big club in terms of Europe but are no longer a force in football.

As for Duffy, there is no chance in my opinion of a premier league team signing him. His best hope is top half championship club. If he cant play football in Scottish football, no chance he will in the premier league.

As for him starting for Ireland, i think from the games in the Autumn its quite clear he is the weak link at the back for the way SK wants to play. England forced the play towards Duffy and all he was comfortable with was humping it long. I think he would be better off being taken out of the team till he can get a move next season and get some sort of form back.

I've been off the thread for 3 months having left when the topic of how good Celtic and/or Shane Duffy were was on the agenda. Good to see the thread has moved on.

I've been off the thread for 3 months having left when the topic of how good Celtic and/or Shane Duffy were was on the agenda. Good to see the thread has moved on.
    You’re welcome back mate. Ireland haven’t played since. Things move slowly these days.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You’re welcome back mate. Ireland haven’t played since. Things move slowly these days.

You too, pal.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4321826/mourinho-doubts-put-dohertys-tottenham-future-in-jeopardy-sources

Really awful management from Mourinho, looks like he is trying to make Doherty the fall guy for wider Spurs problems. The sooner he gets out from that sort of toxic atmosphere the better.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4321826/mourinho-doubts-put-dohertys-tottenham-future-in-jeopardy-sources

Really awful management from Mourinho, looks like he is trying to make Doherty the fall guy for wider Spurs problems. The sooner he gets out from that sort of toxic atmosphere the better.
    Mourinho must have a thing about full backs. He was weirdly critical of Luke Shaw, made him out to be useless. Shaw has found his feet at Man United and played well since Mourinho left. Maybe Wolves will take Doherty back.

Mourinho will be gone before Doherty.

He was a board signing, Mourinho never wanted him.

Any source for that? It sounded the exact opposite, that Doherty was one of his key targets with him losing faith in Aurier. Mourinho talked about how much he hated playing against Doherty and wanted him in his side, and Doherty himself talked about Jose calling him and sending him videos and stuff during negotiations.

Explaining that Mourinho did not need to 'sell' Tottenham to him, Doherty revealed how the personal touch helped ease his mind that he was making the right move.

“Once I knew there was interest from them, it was pretty straightforward that I wanted to come and play for Tottenham.

“But when we were talking (on the phone) he would send me a video of the changing room saying 'the changing room is waiting for you' and stuff like that. He sent me a picture of the Spurs top, just nice little things like that which he didn't have to do. He really made me feel welcome.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40057493.html

Agree that Doherty will outlast Jose though - just have to hope for a manager to come in that fancies going 3 at the back so Matt can hopefully shine again.

• Advertisement

Nah, it was just my own understanding that Spurs have always operated through their board in relation to their signings. I remember Pochettino having little say in signings where he could suggest players but it ultimately came down to the board having the final say...but there appears to have been a bit of restructure since last summer and Mourinho has a bit more of a say.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-levy-mourinho-director-of-football-transfer-contracts-training-a4538176.html

Makes sense... after his frustrations at Utd, and the same thing happening at Spurs at the same time with Poch, I'd say Mourinho would have made very sure he was gonna be backed with what he wanted before taking that job.

Ipswich got a 1-0 win over Hull in a much better display tonight. Parrott played as the supporting striker in a 4-4-2 and had two good chances, one he should maybe have done better from and another where his point blank range shot was prevented by a great interception. His link up play was better than I saw previously and he was getting a lot more of the ball. He put a massive shift in and certainly played his part in Ipswich shutting out Hull to keep their 1-0 lead. A solid 7/10 performance, hopefully the finishing improves with more games.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Any source for that? It sounded the exact opposite, that Doherty was one of his key targets with him losing faith in Aurier. Mourinho talked about how much he hated playing against Doherty and wanted him in his side, and Doherty himself talked about Jose calling him and sending him videos and stuff during negotiations.

Explaining that Mourinho did not need to 'sell' Tottenham to him, Doherty revealed how the personal touch helped ease his mind that he was making the right move.

“Once I knew there was interest from them, it was pretty straightforward that I wanted to come and play for Tottenham.

“But when we were talking (on the phone) he would send me a video of the changing room saying 'the changing room is waiting for you' and stuff like that. He sent me a picture of the Spurs top, just nice little things like that which he didn't have to do. He really made me feel welcome.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40057493.html

Agree that Doherty will outlast Jose though - just have to hope for a manager to come in that fancies going 3 at the back so Matt can hopefully shine again.

The Athletic had a fairly scathing piece on Mourinho yesterday, saying a number of the players have started to lose faith in him. I'd say we could be in line for some paranoid press conferences from Jose soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Athletic had a fairly scathing piece on Mourinho yesterday, saying a number of the players have started to lose faith in him. I'd say we could be in line for some paranoid press conferences from Jose soon.

It is like groundhog day with Mourinho. Every club ends the same way

One player who is creeping his way into contention who no one talks about is Jack Taylor at Peterborough. He's only 22 and scored a cracker last night in their 3-0 win that puts Peterborough top. Peterborough are a bit like the Swansea of League 1, they have a good philosophy on football and I noticed him have a good game against Ipswich the other week. He plays as one of the two central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, he is technically good while having enough physicality to be able to assert himself. He won't be picked for the March internationals, but assuming Peterborough are in the Championship and he continues his impressive upward trajectory of development, he might start knocking on the door next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would love it if he is in the next Germany squad. Love it. And you can't blame him for wanting a chance at an international trophy

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56176585

• Advertisement

One player who is creeping his way into contention who no one talks about is Jack Taylor at Peterborough. He's only 22 and scored a cracker last night in their 3-0 win that puts Peterborough top. Peterborough are a bit like the Swansea of League 1, they have a good philosophy on football and I noticed him have a good game against Ipswich the other week. He plays as one of the two central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, he is technically good while having enough physicality to be able to assert himself. He won't be picked for the March internationals, but assuming Peterborough are in the Championship and he continues his impressive upward trajectory of development, he might start knocking on the door next season.

I like Taylor, he's a strong athletic player who gets around the pitch and likes to have a shot at goal when the opportunity arises. Haven't watched much of him at Peterborough, but when he was at Barnet the lad could play ball and had some tasty assists. Plenty of competition for that box to box type midfielder in midfield with Knight, Molumby and Taylor coming through.

We're still crying out for that number 6 though. Hopefully now with Neil Lennon gone from Celtic and the league over that some lads get game time and one of those is Luca, or at least whoever takes over full time finds a good loan move for him instead.

Fully believe that this lad can be our long term 6 once he gets going again at club level. Someone talked about what a ball player is the other day and this lad could be our ball player. You saw glimpses of it at Bolton when he was only 17 that he was looking for the ball and trying to make things happen. Also a plus that he can play left back and played there underage.

I would love it if he is in the next Germany squad. Love it. And you can't blame him for wanting a chance at an international trophy

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56176585

Then you'll be happy to know he's already came out and said he's playing with Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Lads Doherty is bang average. Had a purple patch in his last 2 seasons at Wolves, some very impressive numbers and it was obvious he would show up on alot of scouting databases with the numbers he posted in terms of goals/assists for a FB.

But he is a player who never passes the eyes test, when you actually watch him play. I'd have been amazed if he replicated that form at Spurs to be honest. His career pre 2017 and post 2020 has been average at best.

The fact he was a right wing back for Wolves, and expected to be an orthodox full back at Spurs was always going to be an issue, Jose obviously expected him to be more flexible.

Sounds way too harsh to say, but Doherty just isn't very good, Aurier has his limitiations but for what is expected hes a better player than Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Lads Doherty is bang average. Had a purple patch in his last 2 seasons at Wolves, some very impressive numbers and it was obvious he would show up on alot of scouting databases with the numbers he posted in terms of goals/assists for a FB.

But he is a player who never passes the eyes test, when you actually watch him play. I'd have been amazed if he replicated that form at Spurs to be honest. His career pre 2017 and post 2020 has been average at best.

The fact he was a right wing back for Wolves, and expected to be an orthodox full back at Spurs was always going to be an issue, Jose obviously expected him to be more flexible.

Sounds way too harsh to say, but Doherty just isn't very good, Aurier has his limitiations but for what is expected hes a better player than Doherty.

Have to agree with this,
    Wolves system gave teams missives problems for 2 years and that helped Doherty look better than he is it happens a lot,

Look at DVB at United looked fantastic in the Ajax system looks completely lost in the United one,

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Blanco100 wrote: »

Plus Coleman offers more leadership which we have lacked in the rest of the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement