Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder if Jose had planned on a back 3 (Reguilon would be a fine LWB) but then discovered he didnt have 3 CB's good enough to play?

Then theres the fact that Doherty's poor performances meant he didnt even start when Jose DID deploy wing backs instead favouring Aurier/Sissoko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

One player who is creeping his way into contention who no one talks about is Jack Taylor at Peterborough. He's only 22 and scored a cracker last night in their 3-0 win that puts Peterborough top.

https://twitter.com/E_Sure91/status/1364323879607545858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No Byrne on the APOEL squad, still injured?

EvAG2TWXAAkZkbk?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Terrible to see and right to highlight it. The English media dont mention James McClean abuse in the article which seems very relevant as they are both Irish. Sectarian abuse should be highlighted also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would I be right in saying Ireland last world cup 2022 Group qualifying game is November 2021 & the tournament is over a year after that in December 2022 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Would I be right in saying Ireland last world cup 2022 Group qualifying game is November 2021 & the tournament is over a year after that in December 2022 ?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It sure is,

Don’t worry that Klopp rumour makes no sense either ;);)

It sure is,

Don’t worry that Klopp rumour makes no sense either ;);)

Its a bit mad is it not to have the tournament over a year later ?
    Team squads will be very different to the ones that qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lennon gone as Celtic manager, can see him getting the Ireland job if Kenny is sacked/resigned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lennon gone as Celtic manager, can see him getting the Ireland job if Kenny is sacked/resigned

He'd be a realistic option alright.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He'd be a realistic option alright.
    Please no

Its a bit mad is it not to have the tournament over a year later ?
    Team squads will be very different to the ones that qualify

No I totally agree with you there. It’s stupid. Money talks though.

Oh and 6500 people lives have been lost was report in Guardian last few says I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Please no

It's when the viable realistic alternatives get mentioned that I get ever more willing to give Kenny time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Doherty assisted the spurs goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Doherty assisted the spurs goal

Delighted for him. he is a very good player, some awful tripe posted about him on here the last while. He is every bit as good as Coleman.

Goal Swansea! Hourihane provided the assist via a pinpoint inswinging corner into the six yard box that was headed home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This is maybe a harsh thing to say about Doherty, but it always seems like there is something about him like he doesn't care. You would rarely see him bursting his b*lls to get back and make a tackle or to track a man, it's hard to pinpoint what I mean exactly, but quite the opposite to Coleman in that sense.

I'd be starting Coleman as he is our captain and a leader and a better defender too - not as expert on Serbian football but won't they have guys like Kolarov, Kostic and Tadic drifting around that side of the pitch? It could be a backs to the wall job for large parts of the game.

The problem for Doherty is that he is just completely exposed playing in Mourinho's system. Mourinho sets his teams up very defensive which requires defenders that are able to defend. Doherty's not the greatest defender, so naturally he's not going to play well in a team that spends most of its time defending. It's a bit surprising that Spurs did not do their homework better when signing him, he's clearly incongruent with the type of player that Mourinho requires.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Shane Long scores for Bournemouth!

2 in last 2 games. Hopefully he keeps it up over the next 4 weeks.
    Simple header from a short cross after Bournemouth countered. Won't get too many easier than that, but they all count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Simple header from a short cross after Bournemouth countered. Won't get too many easier than that, but they all count.

Yes, have to be there to score them though.

He is definitely the form striker for us atm, and I would have him starting next month if Didzy isn't coming back.

Goal Swansea! Hourihane provided the assist via a pinpoint inswinging corner into the six yard box that was headed home.
    Hourihane has a fantastic left foot, Brady has a fantastic left foot (perhaps he has not shown it as of late for Ireland). While both are solid players, but you only need one of them to take the corner or a free kick, and I am not sure the midfield can accommodate two players who are just too similar.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Yes, have to be there to score them though.

He is definitely the form striker for us atm, and I would have him starting next month if Didzy isn't coming back.

Same, even just aside from form he's about the only one we have that can act as a bit of a focal point and physical presence. Idah's just not playing enough football, and though he's done alright at times, he's still a bit inexperienced/lightweight for such an important position.

I'm being a bit unfair to James Collins there, who can do a job in fairness, but I'd probably prefer Long if he's got any bit of form.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm being a bit unfair to James Collins there, who can do a job in fairness, but I'd probably prefer Long if he's got any bit of form.
    Collins won't even make the squad for the March internationals. My guess is Kenny would have Long, Connolly and Robinson over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭pgj2015

His first goal for them was similar, ball squared across the goal line and chested it in.

Its not really important how hes scoring them though, the confidence boost of playing and scoring regularly is what a player like him needs ...and what we need going into the games next month.

He had a good chance in the game at the weekend, hit it at the keeper but looks like his pace is still there and he it was good to see him get into the position to score.

• Advertisement

Collins won't even make the squad for the March internationals. My guess is Kenny would have Long, Connolly and Robinson over him.

I mean, I'd expect those 3 to be our starters. Long central, Connolly left, Robinson right. Still need a few more forwards for the squad, with a few of Mcguire, Collins, Horgan, O'Dowda, and Idah to be in there as options.

Personally I'd have Collins nailed on in the squad as I think the only real viable alternative to Long in that central spot, given Idah's lack of gametime. Kenny will likely have Idah regardless alright, so Collins may miss out, despite playing and scoring a lot more in the championship than Idah. Room for both potentially though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mick McCarthy flying atm. He's taken Cardiff from a 6-game losing run to a 6-game winning run. They were 15th when he took over, and now they're in the play-off places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Championship is Mick's bread and butter. 6 game winning run / 8 unbeaten is fairly impressive but I feel the media outlets are getting a tad carried away ... Championship is such a hectic league with so many games to play, if they lose their next 3 games they could be right back in 15th ..and it wasn't too long ago Bournemouth were contenders for automatic promotion but now find themselves outside of the playoff spots in 7th after a run of poor results.

I agree with this to a point but would also suggest Cardiff were seriously underperforming this season given the squad they have. Fully expect them to be in the playoff mix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree with this to a point but would also suggest Cardiff were seriously underperforming this season given the squad they have. Fully expect them to be in the playoff mix.

Which shows the importance of having a good manager

Firstly all condolences to Allison and his family,

Kelleher will now probably get a run of games at Liverpool, it'll be interesting to see how he does

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Firstly all condolences to Allison and his family,

Kelleher will now probably get a run of games at Liverpool, it'll be interesting to see how he does

Allison's father died.

No reason for Allison to miss more than a game or 2. He cannot travel to Brazil for a funeral anyway so I can't see why he would need to miss any games. I know my work gives 3 days off for the death of a parent, don't see why footballers would be any different.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/anthony-barry-appointed-to-ireland-assistant-coach-role
    Anthony Barry appointed to Ireland assistant coach role
    The Football Association of Ireland is delighted to announce the appointment of Anthony Barry as assistant coach of the Republic of Ireland senior men's team.
    26th Feb 2021
    The current Chelsea first-team coach joins Stephen Kenny's coaching staff ahead of the start of the FIFA 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign in March.

Anthony will remain in his existing role at Chelsea and link up with the Ireland squad in the international windows.

"I'm delighted to join the Republic of Ireland coaching staff ahead of the start of the FIFA 2022 World Cup campaign," said Anthony Barry.

"The opportunity to work in international football is something I'm thoroughly looking forward to and I'm looking forward to working with manager Stephen Kenny, his staff and the squad. I'd also like to thank Chelsea for helping facilitate this opportunity."

"I'd like to welcome Anthony to the Republic of Ireland team, he is an innovative coach with an energetic style and is someone I have been aware of for a few years now," said Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny.

"The skillset Anthony brings will complement the existing coaching team and I look forward to him joining up in March ahead of the World Cup qualifiers."

"I am really pleased that we have confirmed Anthony in this key role as Stephen continues his preparation for the start of the World Cup qualification process and what is a hugely exciting year ahead for the senior men’s team," said FAI Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Hill.

"I would like to welcome Anthony to the FAI and wish him all the very best in his new role with us.”

Anthony enjoyed a lengthy career as a midfielder in the Football League which saw him make over 270 appearances in a 13-year spell.

His coaching career began at Accrington Stanley before moving to Wigan. Paul Cook brought him into the Latics as a first-team coach where they secured the League One title in the 2017/18 season. Following this success, Frank Lampard named Anthony as a first-team coach at Chelsea at the start of the 2020/21 season and has remained an integral member of the first-team coaching staff under Thomas Tuchel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Who knows with his role at Chelsea maybe he could get in Conor Gallagher's ear too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

He might get a shot at the top job sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He might get a shot at the top job sooner rather than later.

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Collie D wrote: »
    Which one?

Ireland I'd assume.

Edit.
    Seems Barry is highly rated at Chelsea. Credited with their improvement in set pieces, both defensively and attacking. Was a part of Paul Cooks backroom staff at Wigan. We've definitely upgraded in the coaching department with the appointment of Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That seems like a massive coup? What an appointment

Looks like an interesting appointment.

Looks a great appointment. Just the boost we need, as we badly need all help we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Looks a great appointment. Just the boost we need, as we badly need all help we can get.

We’re hardly desperate.

Should’ve been at the Euro’s bar an open goal miss. Plenty of room for improvement of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We’re hardly desperate.

Should’ve been at the Euro’s bar an open goal miss. Plenty of room for improvement of course.

There are 24 teams in the Euros. It's almost harder not to qualify, but fair play we managed to do it.

If you think the Ireland national team is not in a desperate state then you mustn't have been watching the team very long.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

kowloonkev wrote: »
    There are 24 teams in the Euros. It's almost harder not to qualify, but fair play we managed to do it.

If you think the Ireland national team is not in a desperate state then you mustn't have been watching the team very long.

To qualify we had to finish ahead of one of Denmark or Switzerland. I don't think I would say it was harder not to qualify from that group.

We had a second chance against a weakened Slovakia team which we made an absolute balls of.

Going by Chelsea fans it seems a great appointment anyway.

We start our campaign in months time and needed this to be sorted.

Good start is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Going by Chelsea fans it seems a great appointment anyway.

We start our campaign in months time and needed this to be sorted.

Good start is required
    I'd settle for a single goal at this point.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd settle for a single goal at this point.

True:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Interesting appointment _any rumours of a game against Oman in the pipeline

Zico ! wrote: »
    Interesting appointment _any rumours of a game against Oman in the pipeline

Qatar instead.

Connolly and O'Shea both start in the 3pm game. Long unused so far in the early game in the championship.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Came on with 10 mins to go just as you posted.

Good to see O'Shea and Connolly start, much needed.

Yes I think this game is a good opportunity for Connolly to bag a goal or two. West Brom have to win and might be an open enough game.

• Advertisement

Goal for Ipswich, Alan Judge scores a lovely free kick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement