Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great freekick by Judge.

Connolly playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Connolly with one of the easier misses of the season. Dunno how a pl level footballer does that

Another bad miss by Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

sugarman wrote: »
    Gone off now on the hour mark.

Every time he starts he seems to go off bang on the hour mark. He can’t really complain if he keeps missing sitters though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mushy wrote: »
    Connolly with one of the easier misses of the season. Dunno how a pl level footballer does that
    Worrying, that's his third bad miss this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

sugarman wrote: »
    At same time, he cant really improve his game either when he never gets a decent run of games and very rarely sees out the 90 mins in any one game.

He completed 90 minutes once this season and he scored in it.

He’s missed from 6 yards with pretty much an open goal twice in 3 or 4 weeks now. The other one he was far too casual and allowed the defender to get back and block. If he scores those chances he stays on the pitch. You’re not worth a place in the team as a striker if you can’t score a tap-in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can't see Brighton keeping him next season if he is not taking chances when he can.

fullstop wrote: »
    He’s missed from 6 yards with pretty much an open goal twice in 3 or 4 weeks now. The other one he was far too casual and allowed the defender to get back and block. If he scores those chances he stays on the pitch. You’re not worth a place in the team as a striker if you can’t score a tap-in.
    Connolly has had a few terrible misses now, but I would rather him getting chances and fluffing them than getting no chances at all. When you watch him, you can see he does have a natural strikers instinct. He has good movement, anticipation and positional awareness to put himself in the right areas to get the chances in the first place. Those sort of rare attributes are something that cannot be trained or coached into a player, so I am encouraged Connolly is showing signs of having a natural ability as a striker.

He looks a lot better of a prospect than the likes of Idah for example, who seems to look a bit lost upfront for vast swathes of games I have see him in.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Can't see Brighton keeping him next season if he is not taking chances when he can.

Ah would ya stop.

Jesus you swear he was first player to miss a few easy chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

They nissed two penalties . Goal disallowed wasnt Brightons day Messi could have played and he wouldn't have scored

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ah would ya stop.

Jesus you swear he was first player to miss a few easy chances

I am not judging him on one match. His scoring record is fairly bad overall and he is not taking his opportunities as they arise. There is too much money at stake in the EPL to have patience with players. Unless he starts hitting a few I can see a championship loan next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am not judging him on one match. His scoring record is fairly bad overall and he is not taking his opportunities as they arise. There is too much money at stake in the EPL to have patience with players. Unless he starts hitting a few I can see a championship loan next season.

None of Brighton's strikers are doing this, it's why they are where they are in the table and not up challenging for the European places.

The amount of chances that Brighton are creating they should easily be a top half team with a competent striker. Instead they're down near the relegation zones because they've got no one that can put the ball in the back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Molumby is not getting much time at Preston. I really hope he can kick on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brilou23 wrote: »
    Molumby is not getting much time at Preston. I really hope he can kick on.

He’s played in 10 of their 11 games since he moved, and started 7 of them.

Began the last 2 games on the bench alright though... hopefully just a blip and he’s back starting again shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Badly needs a loan move next season, especially as Norwich will more than likely be in the premier League next season. Norwich have Pukki and Hugill ahead of him. Pukki has been one of the top strikers in the championship since signing for Norwich and Hugill is an experienced back up player.

Ipswich could be a great option next year for a lad like Idah or even Parrott again if their takeover goes through. They've already got Paul Cook lined up as a possible new manger who plays a good style of football.

Jack Byrne still injured?

EvUs-tqXYAErpgT?format=jpg&name=medium

Yup, still out with a back injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't be shocked to see Byrne link up with McCarthy again at Cardiff. The Cyprus adventure looks doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I wouldn't be shocked to see Byrne link up with McCarthy again at Cardiff. The Cyprus adventure looks doomed.

It's very early to call but it is looking that way. Between being hooked at half time once or twice, injuries, manager changes and an APOEL team hat seem to be struggling on and off the pitch, you'd have to say it hasn't gone well so far. Still time to turn it around of course but right now you wouldn't have him in the Ireland squad, 6 months ago he deserved his place.

• Advertisement

Didn't watch Anderlecht this time, but apparently Cullen was very good.

Cullen was top vandaag - Cullen was great today

Cullen is altijd top. Zeer ondergewaardeerd - Cullen is always top notch. Very underrated

Cullen mérite bcp plus et même Nmecha - Cullen deserves a lot more and even Nmecha (response to Cullen not getting MOTM)

Doubt Mick would even want him at Cardiff, unless APOEL were happy to just let him leave for nothing or next to nothing even. While Byrne has talent, would Mick have brought him to Cyprus if he had to pay a transfer fee for him? IMO he wouldn't have and at the time he brought him to Cyprus he saw a player who has talent and was available on a free transfer. It was a no brainer decision, especially given he played well in Europe against teams from Cyprus and played well in Holland while there.

It's the same as Preston. I doubt they would have paid a transfer fee for Byrne because it would have been seven figures minimum, but had interest in him when they could have got him on a free. Think the highest they've paid for a LOI player was 150k for Sean Maguire.

Would look to bring McGeady in in March, given McClean was probably going to be back for Connolly come March. He's been playing well since Lee Johnson took over Sunderland and think the fact Kenny wants to try and play a more possession based game would suit him more than the way MON or Mick wanted to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Doubt Mick would even want him at Cardiff, unless APOEL were happy to just let him leave for nothing or next to nothing even. While Byrne has talent, would Mick have brought him to Cyprus if he had to pay a transfer fee for him? IMO he wouldn't have and at the time he brought him to Cyprus he saw a player who has talent and was available on a free transfer. It was a no brainer decision, especially given he played well in Europe against teams from Cyprus and played well in Holland while there.

It's the same as Preston. I doubt they would have paid a transfer fee for Byrne because it would have been seven figures minimum, but had interest in him when they could have got him on a free. Think the highest they've paid for a LOI player was 150k for Sean Maguire.

I don't think Mick gives a monkeys about transfer fees. Not coming out of his pocket. Incidentally if Jack was to leave Cyprus I'm sure his team and himself could come to some mutual arrangement that would suit to avoid a fee that would be off putting.

Anyway I think Jack Byrne's main stumbling block linking up with Mick is that Mick signed Jonny Williams (again). I don't think he's as talented as Jack but he's of a similar mould.

I can genuinely see Jack falling off the face of the planet if he stays in Cyprus. It just stinks the move. Just seems like a right bogey. And the longer he stays there without excelling, before you know it he's lost the "heat" he had at rovers and suddenly he's out of sight out of mind.

Apoel only have 4 games before the break. Given Ireland's injuries, if he put in in a couple of decent performances I'd say he'd get a call up, but he's definitely on the fringes.

The main advantage Jack has is that there's nobody vying for the position that he plays - a straight-up orthodox number 10. Until another player emerges, Jack is the only midfielder potentially that offers something different in the final third.

Assuming he gets back to the form he was in prior to his move then I think you should be in the squad. You can never have enough options on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

His injuries are unlikely to garner any sympathy with the board or fanbase and he will likely be considered a remnant of McCarthy's time. I can see Byrne feeling isolated and wanting to be around more familiar surroundings.

Most likely outcome imo is the player and club reach an agreement to end the contract and he leaves in the summer. If he finds his way to a Championship club that would probably be better for us as I imagine the overall standard of the Championship is much tougher than the Cypriot league, no disrespect intended.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I don't think Mick gives a monkeys about transfer fees. Not coming out of his pocket. Incidentally if Jack was to leave Cyprus I'm sure his team and himself could come to some mutual arrangement that would suit to avoid a fee that would be off putting.

Exactly, he's spending someone else's money who'll have final say on signing off on transfers. So again is Mick bringing in Jack Byrne if he had to pay a transfer fee?

Again IMO it's a no because APOEL don't really spend money on transfers and get a lot of players in on free transfers. So Mick sees this talented player going on a free with plenty of experience, which is right up APOELs street, similar to why Preston were interested in Byrne and why Celtic missed out on Ben Davis because they thought they could get him on a pre contract in January rather than pay something like €2m last summer.

Certain teams will miss out on players if they feel it's not a good enough bargain of a deal, and given Cardiff's spending they'll be one of those teams. They've wasted a lot of silly money in the seasons leading up to Covid on duds, and not forgetting their Emiliano Sala situation.

It's probably why Cardiff jumped at the chance of bringing Mick in, as he's not only an experienced manager, with tons of Championship experience but he can work with a tiny budget if needed. Mick will be dipping into his contacts for loan signings imo, with Duffy and Harry Wilson probably being his main targets given they'll have to pay a loan fee and wages for these lads.

His injuries are unlikely to garner any sympathy with the board or fanbase and he will likely be considered a remnant of McCarthy's time. I can see Byrne feeling isolated and wanting to be around more familiar surroundings.

Most likely outcome imo is the player and club reach an agreement to end the contract and he leaves in the summer. If he finds his way to a Championship club that would probably be better for us as I imagine the overall standard of the Championship is much tougher than the Cypriot league, no disrespect intended.

Would Byrne even have an interest in the championship, given there were clubs interested in him and he chose Cyprus over them. If the rumour of the MLS club being interested in him was true and they still have interest I could see him choosing the MLS over the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Would Byrne even have an interest in the championship, given there were clubs interested in him and he chose Cyprus over them. If the rumour of the MLS club being interested in him was true and they still have interest I could see him choosing the MLS over the championship.

I doubt he will have the same calibre of teams after him this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Jack Byrne out for the rest of the season after a back operation.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I doubt he will have the same calibre of teams after him this time.

Probably not now that he's out for three months for back surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

kksaints wrote: »

Does this mean we won't be getting anymore Apoel Nicosia starting XI's posted?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Badly needs a loan move next season, especially as Norwich will more than likely be in the premier League next season. Norwich have Pukki and Hugill ahead of him. Pukki has been one of the top strikers in the championship since signing for Norwich and Hugill is an experienced back up player.

Ipswich could be a great option next year for a lad like Idah or even Parrott again if their takeover goes through. They've already got Paul Cook lined up as a possible new manger who plays a good style of football.

I think the opposite and that he might get more opportunities in the PL. Everyone knows Norwich are just going straight back down anyway and there will be less pressure on the manager to win games. Pukki can't really hack it in the PL as well.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Pukki got 11 PL goals the year Norwich were relegated. There are a couple of PL clubs that could do with that kind of strike rate (Brighton are 1)

kksaints wrote: »
    Terrible blow for Byrne, but at least it was at the end of the APOEL season and he wasn't going to make the Irish squad anyway. Hopefully he can get himself sorted for the start of the Cypriot season in August and be in contention for the September internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Terrible blow for Byrne, but at least it was at the end of the APOEL season and he wasn't going to make the Irish squad anyway. Hopefully he can get himself sorted for the start of the Cypriot season in August and be in contention for the September internationals.
    It's about 40 degrees in Cyprus in August, his biggest worry will be sun burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It's about 40 degrees in Cyprus in August, his biggest worry will be sun burn

Jack Burn

No Coleman in the squad tonight but not serious according to the manager
    On the absence of @jamesdrodriguez, Tom Davies, Seamus Coleman & Robin Olsen, Ancelotti said: "They had little problems in training this week and so I prefer to give them a rest to be ready for the next game. They are really light problems" #EFC #EVESOU https://t.co/INKO64XLV8

Hopefully he is ok for Ireland.

I was wondering what the situation was with Obafemi after watching Southampton. Hasenhuttl gave a recent update, he's out for the season disappointingly.
    Hasenhuttl: "...[Michael] Obafemi next year [presumably meaning season], [Will] Smallbone next season, Oriol Romeu next season.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Will crowds be allowed in by then?

Seems a long shot but would be some boost to the country. Would we have Croke Park in addition to the Aviva? Can there even be two stadiums used in one City?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

henke wrote: »
    Seems a long shot but would be some boost to the country. Would we have Croke Park in addition to the Aviva? Can there even be two stadiums used in one City?

One designated city can have two stadia, otherwise its one per city (though this is one of many rules broken for Qatar 2022).

Using IRFU/GAA owned stadia is a whole other issue. Lansdowne is the only sure one we can offer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

There's no way they would let five countries host one tournament. Northern Ireland don't even have a stadium they could use because Windsor wouldn't make the cut. They'd need to be allowed use two stadiums in the one city and upgrade a few stadiums in the 30ks, but they might have a shot at a Great Britain WC but no way would a UK and Ireland bid happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Two sovereign countries actually. UK and Ireland. So not that much of a stretch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Two sovereign countries actually. UK and Ireland. So not that much of a stretch.

But 5 FAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What do you think our squad will look like in 2030 lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

But 5 FAs.

have to find out what happens for 2026 first. don't know if Canada, USA and Mexico will all qualify automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What do you think our squad will look like in 2030 lads?

Mick will be back for his third stint and a 40 year old James McClean will still need starting every game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement