Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Mick will be back for his third stint and a 40 year old James McClean will still need starting every game.

Jack Byrne will still be fulfilling his potential with Orlando Pirates at 34 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Derrick Williams off to LA Galaxy - https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19128621.rovers-defender-derrick-williams-set-sign-mls-side/

That will be the end of his Ireland career then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Derrick Williams off to LA Galaxy - https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19128621.rovers-defender-derrick-williams-set-sign-mls-side/

Given his US parental connections not a surprise move really. A decent centre back but was never going to be someone who was going to become a mainstay for us internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good move for him, and at 28, it'll be a brilliant experience and change of scenery for a few years. I hope we start seeing more Irish players look at the MLS as a serious option. We push out a lot players that struggle and toil in the middling/lower levels of English league football, when there are other options out there. Not saying it should be a replacement by any means, but certainly another route.

Love to see more of our younger players look at the US university scholarship route as well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Good move for him, and at 28, it'll be a brilliant experience and change of scenery for a few years. I hope we start seeing more Irish players look at the MLS as a serious option. We push out a lot players that struggle and toil in the middling/lower levels of English league football, when there are other options out there. Not saying it should be a replacement by any means, but certainly another route.

Love to see more of our younger players look at the US university scholarship route as well.
    It might be a good move for him personally (nice weather, celebrity lifestyle), but it's not a good move for his Ireland career.

If we are trying to get players to fit Kenny's system, Blackburn is going to be a better place to be than LA Galaxy. I've been watching quite a bit of Championship football this season and Blackburn are definitely one of the better teams. They are close to the top of the table in terms of possession and passes per game. The quality and style of football at Blackburn is a lot better than what he'll get at MLS, which is pretty awful from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Jaysus, don't see how going to the MLS will help his cause for a spot in Ireland squad.

Whatever about our younger players going to Holland, Portugal, France, Germany etc to ply their trade in the hope of broadening the horizons for National team purposes, MLS is a terrible move for an aspiring international.

As another poster said, its a good move for someone winding down their career and on the fringes of things internationally for sure, and Williams fits this criteria.

It might be a good move for him personally (nice weather, celebrity lifestyle), but it's not a good move for his Ireland career.

If we are trying to get players to fit Kenny's system, Blackburn is going to be a better place to be than LA Galaxy. I've been watching quite a bit of Championship football this season and Blackburn are definitely one of the better teams. They are close to the top of the table in terms of possession and passes per game. The quality and style of football at Blackburn is a lot better than what he'll get at MLS, which is pretty awful from what I've seen.

Does he really have an Ireland career though? He's played 1 competitive minute in his career. He's 28, and has a whole rake of players ahead of him in the pecking order, including a fair few up-and-comers.

I'd say Ireland is taking a back seat in his priorities at this stage of his career. You're right that Blackburn is definitely the better place to be, but that doesn't seem to be an option open to him - he's out injured until his contract lapses, and it doesn't sound like they had much interest in offering him a new one.

As far as the MLS goes... proper senior Irish internationals, should be aspiring to be above that level, but for all the rest it's a good choice. I quite like it as a league, but it's quite a mixed bag. I watch a lot of LAFC (at least, prior to the mess of a 2020 covid season), and find 'em thoroughly entertaining. Fair few rubbish teams alright though. I think it should be looked at more-so as a competitor for League 1, than the Championship.

Parrott brought down by fellow Irishman Seamus Connelly and wins a penalty. Connelly sent off, but the penalty is missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Parrott brought down by fellow Irishman Seamus Connelly and wins a penalty. Connelly sent off, but the penalty is missed.

Did Parrott take it?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Did Parrott take it?
    No. Hopefully he can get a chance here. Accrington down to 10 and Ipswich are swarming all over them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Desperately needs a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He should just retire now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Played lots of games, no goals. Needs one.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Desperately needs a goal
    Ipswich play a 4-2-3-1 with Norwood (who's in decent form) leading the line and Parrott playing the supporting striker role. Realistically, he's not going to be playing up top as he doesn't have a senior goal yet. It's a tough chicken and the egg situation, he won't get the chance to play centre forward until he starts getting goals, but it's going to be tough to get goals without playing centre forward.

That is not to say he can't still be effective. He won a penalty that while Ipswich didn't score, it swung the momentum of the game. His work rate was excellent again today. In terms of distance covered, I'd say he was easily in the top 3. I had fears he might be a bit of a good time charlie type of player, especially as he has a nice long term Spurs contract under his belt, but I could not fault him on effort. He's also looked a lot stronger on the ball and held up play numerous times, but also tracked back and won possession a few times when Ipswich were playing out. The Ipswich manager appreciated his efforts anyway, he got a big clap on the back going off as a sub late in the game and Ipswich are within a squeak of the play-off spots. It was another very solid performance.

sugarman wrote: »
    Knight was rested.
    I am not surprised at all. I said it here only the other day that he needs much better coaching. While his all-action, bonkers work rate is popular with the fans, if he continues the way he is, he's going to burn himself out in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What do you think our squad will look like in 2030 lads?

Hendrick will still be starting. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ipswich play a 4-2-3-1 with Norwood (who's in decent form) leading the line and Parrott playing the supporting striker role. Realistically, he's not going to be playing up top as he doesn't have a senior goal yet. It's a tough chicken and the egg situation, he won't get the chance to play centre forward until he starts getting goals, but it's going to be tough to get goals without playing centre forward.

That is not to say he can't still be effective. He won a penalty that while Ipswich didn't score, it swung the momentum of the game. His work rate was excellent again today. In terms of distance covered, I'd say he was easily in the top 3. I had fears he might be a bit of a good time charlie type of player, especially as he has a nice long term Spurs contract under his belt, but I could not fault him on effort. He's also looked a lot stronger on the ball and held up play numerous times, but also tracked back and won possession a few times when Ipswich were playing out. The Ipswich manager appreciated his efforts anyway, he got a big clap on the back going off as a sub late in the game and Ipswich are within a squeak of the play-off spots. It was another very solid performance.

From what I can see, he only started playing off the front man since the Oxford game. He was deployed up top according to official team line-ups in the three preceding games he blanked.

I also don't see why it would be tough for him to get goals playing off the front man? He's playing in the third tier of English football for one thing, and by all accounts he's having chances - he just can't convert them. This is from the BBC report of the game versus Oxford, the first game where he was seemingly behind the main striker:
    Ipswich and Oxford fought out a goalless draw but the home side will be frustrated that they failed to convert some gilt-edged chances.

James Norwood hit the post, while Troy Parrott wasted a couple of good chances to find the back of the net.

Another cross from Bennetts found Parrott, who shot wide of the target when he should have scored.

Teddy Bishop's run into the penalty area led to his pass finding Parrott, whose shot was bundled wide, before Matty Taylor headed over the bar at the other end following a cross from Sykes.

As regards workrate, that's the minimum to be expected of him really. We're not lacking that in any of our forwards. What we desperately need is someone who knows where the back of the net is. I get the desire to look on the bright side, but he's playing in the third tier of English football. He's 19 now, and Robbie Keane at the same age was scoring goals in the top tier. Before some say it's unfair to compare him to Keane, let's be honest he was our big hope this generation. He was training with the Tottenham seniors and there were even calls at one stage last season for Mourinho to start him. It's been desperately disappointing. I had high hopes for him and watched a couple of his UEFA youth games when they were shown. He seemed to have great promise. To see him struggling now to score against the likes of Northampton and Peterborough is gut-wrenching. Starting to worry he's going to go the way of a Sean Scannell.

From what I can see, he only started playing off the front man since the Oxford game. He was deployed up top according to official team line-ups in the three preceding games he blanked.

I also don't see why it would be tough for him to get goals playing off the front man? He's playing in the third tier of English football for one thing, and by all accounts he's having chances - he just can't convert them. This is from the BBC report of the game versus Oxford, the first game where he was seemingly behind the main striker:
    You are only reading match reports though, I am going by watching the games on iFollow. The lions share of the chances are falling to James Norwood who has played as Ipswich's lead striker in every game I have seen. He's a real immobile, carthorse type of player, so it's been up to Parrott to pick up a lot of the slack in behind Norwood and it's going to naturally have an impact on his effectiveness up front. As Parrott has dropped a bit deeper, he has a better defined role in the team and his performances have picked up in tandem to that of that team. It didn't start well, but it's gotten a lot better.
    As regards workrate, that's the minimum to be expected of him really. We're not lacking that in any of our forwards. What we desperately need is someone who knows where the back of the net is. I get the desire to look on the bright side, but he's playing in the third tier of English football. He's 19 now, and Robbie Keane at the same age was scoring goals in the top tier. Before some say it's unfair to compare him to Keane, let's be honest he was our big hope this generation. He was training with the Tottenham seniors and there were even calls at one stage last season for Mourinho to start him. It's been desperately disappointing. I had high hopes for him and watched a couple of his UEFA youth games when they were shown. He seemed to have great promise. To see him struggling now to score against the likes of Northampton and Peterborough is gut-wrenching. Starting to worry he's going to go the way of a Sean Scannell.
    The problem here is fans expectations. Anyone using Keane as some sort of benchmark for any of our players is out of their mind. We might not see the like of a Robbie Keane for another 50 years, he was that good a striker. Secondly, using form at underage football as some sort of barometer of senior ability is almost useless. A lot of the fans feed into that hype by demanding he start for Spurs/Ireland, it's crazy stuff and sets players up to fail.

Right now, I am happy that he's playing games and helping Ipswich get into a nice little run that if kept going can push them into the play-off's. My guess is Parrott won't make it at Spurs, but if this loan goes well, it will hopefully catch the eye of a better team than Ipswich. It would be good to see him get a move to the likes of a Brentford, Watford, or Bournemouth type of team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There's no way they would let five countries host one tournament. Northern Ireland don't even have a stadium they could use because Windsor wouldn't make the cut. They'd need to be allowed use two stadiums in the one city and upgrade a few stadiums in the 30ks, but they might have a shot at a Great Britain WC but no way would a UK and Ireland bid happen.

The Brits (the English in particular) aren’t that popular with their neighbours since Brexit. Maybe they think that with Ireland pushing for it as well that a few more votes can be won?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

You are only reading match reports though, I am going by watching the games on iFollow. The lions share of the chances are falling to James Norwood who has played as Ipswich's lead striker in every game I have seen. He's a real immobile, carthorse type of player, so it's been up to Parrott to pick up a lot of the slack in behind Norwood and it's going to naturally have an impact on his effectiveness up front. As Parrott has dropped a bit deeper, he has a better defined role in the team and his performances have picked up in tandem to that of that team. It didn't start well, but it's gotten a lot better.

The problem here is fans expectations. Anyone using Keane as some sort of benchmark for any of our players is out of their mind. We might not see the like of a Robbie Keane for another 50 years, he was that good a striker. Secondly, using form at underage football as some sort of barometer of senior ability is almost useless. A lot of the fans feed into that hype by demanding he start for Spurs/Ireland, it's crazy stuff and sets players up to fail.

Right now, I am happy that he's playing games and helping Ipswich get into a nice little run that if kept going can push them into the play-off's. My guess is Parrott won't make it at Spurs, but if this loan goes well, it will hopefully catch the eye of a better team than Ipswich. It would be good to see him get a move to the likes of a Brentford, Watford, or Bournemouth type of team.

We didn't appreciate Robbie Keane when we had him. I doubt we will see anyone nearly as effective as him. He was a once in a lifetime player for Ireland anyway. He usually played with someone like Quinn, Berbatov and Viduka who put him in positions where he was most dangerous. His first touch in tight areas and finishing were superb.

Parrott will take a while to adjust to senior football. He needs to fill out a bit to make up for lack of height and blistering pace so might take him a bit longer to develop but has all the technical attributes. We have been putting him under severe pressure since day 1. A goal or two could make all the difference for him.

• Advertisement

That is it in a nutshell. People were hoping that Parrott was some kind of wunderkind that would kick on a be a Harry Kane or Robbie Keane like player and lead the Spurs and Ireland attack in the future and tbf he was built up on that by the media. Can't blame supporters either as we have been without a decent striker that scores with any kind of regularity since Walters. Anyone who can score even semi regularly for Ireland would be more than welcome. Unfortunately we don't have that.

Without being a doom and gloom merchant we may get worse before we get better and the current Ireland team is already the poorest I have seen in my lifetime. 2 years ago I would have been more optimistic but I now fear we may be in a prolonged period of 3rd or 4th seeds:(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

We didn't appreciate Robbie Keane when we had him. I doubt we will see anyone nearly as effective as him. He was a once in a lifetime player for Ireland anyway. He usually played with someone like Quinn, Berbatov and Viduka who put him in positions where he was most dangerous. His first touch in tight areas and finishing were superb.

Parrott will take a while to adjust to senior football. He needs to fill out a bit to make up for lack of height and blistering pace so might take him a bit longer to develop but has all the technical attributes. We have been putting him under severe pressure since day 1. A goal or two could make all the difference for him.

He's 6 foot 1. Not exactly small....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The Brits (the English in particular) aren’t that popular with their neighbours since Brexit. Maybe they think that with Ireland pushing for it as well that a few more votes can be won?

IMO this is the current UK government just using this as some type of positive news stunt, and probably why the idiots here jumped on the bandwagon too.

FIFA have already talked about how they want to change rules to allow China to host the 2030 WC. Currently China would have to wait until 2034 because Asia will have already hosted one of the previous two WCs, but FIFA are pushing hard to get them the 2030 WC, so odds are China will host the 2030 WC because of $$$.

If the UK government were serious about a bid they should go for 2034, which is the centennial anniversary and talks of a joint bid from Argentina/Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have always had the obsession that 1 player could make us into World Champions.

Remember when Mcgeady scored his first goal for Celtic and he was compared to Ronaldhinho. The hype was unreal (funny when look back)

We have always had the obsession that 1 player could make us into World Champions.

Remember when Mcgeady scored his first goal for Celtic and he was compared to Ronaldhinho. The hype was unreal (funny when look back)
    Just turned 18 when he did this on debut.

It would be great if we had a prospect like that coming through the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

IMO this is the current UK government just using this as some type of positive news stunt, and probably why the idiots here jumped on the bandwagon too.

FIFA have already talked about how they want to change rules to allow China to host the 2030 WC. Currently China would have to wait until 2034 because Asia will have already hosted one of the previous two WCs, but FIFA are pushing hard to get them the 2030 WC, so odds are China will host the 2030 WC because of $$$.

If the UK government were serious about a bid they should go for 2034, which is the centennial anniversary and talks of a joint bid from Argentina/Uruguay.

Yes I think you’re right. The current UK prime minister is particularly partial to publicity stunts. He’ll probably be gone by the time they make the call on where the World Cup in 2030 will be staged. Nothing to lose in it for him to make a big thing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone know it Kamari Doyle is irish eligible? Played for Southampton U-23's against Man United during the week at 15.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yes I think you’re right. The current UK prime minister is particularly partial to publicity stunts. He’ll probably be gone by the time they make the call on where the World Cup in 2030 will be staged. Nothing to lose in it for him to make a big thing about it.

Yup, it's similar to all these bridges, tunnels and roundabouts under the Isle of Man he's talking about to connect the union.

Well hopefully now that Ipswich have appointed a better manager in Paul Cook it should hopefully see Ipswich playing a better brand of football. Heck I wouldn't mind if he spent another season there if Paul Cook has them playing well because with investment from their new owners they'll be one of the favourites for promotion next season.

There's no question that the lad has serious potential, but needs the right system to thrive until he matures some more. Cook's teams normally play 4-2-3-1, and Parrotts best role is going to be as the number 10.

A team looking to win league one or a team who could be battling relegation to league one, I'd prefer him in the team that's pushing for promotion rather than battling relegation. Cause I can't see a promotion pushing team like a Brentford, Watford or Bournemouth looking to an unproven lad like Parrott to be in their starting team.

Cause I can't see a promotion pushing team like a Brentford, Watford or Bournemouth looking to an unproven lad like Parrott to be in their starting team.
    I meant that I wouldn't be surprised if Parrott left Spurs in the Summer and those aforementioned teams could be good destinations for a permanent move.

• Advertisement

I meant that I wouldn't be surprised if Parrott left Spurs in the Summer and those aforementioned teams could be good destinations for a permanent move.

I'd say there's more chance of him being promoted to Spurs starting XI than leaving permanently next season, unless Parrott himself actively seeks a transfer away from Spurs but I doubt he will.

Now I'd love to see him leave Spurs to go abroad. I think more players should look towards Germany as a place to go and German clubs are regulars at reserve and underage games in the UK looking at young players.

Bayern Munich have signed Readings starting LB who had teams from the Premier League interested in him and also rumoured to be interested in Norwichs Max Aarons.

McCarthy getting a start against Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

McCarthy getting a start against Man Utd.

He just went off, and seemed like was injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

David McGoldrick goal and a good win tonight. I know he's retired but he is a legend.

Yup I don't like to see players get injured, especially lads like McCarthy that have their issues with injuries, but won't be disappointed if he's ruled out of the qualifiers for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

When is the squad named for the upcoming qualifiers?

McClean Out
    McCarthy Out (likely)
    Egan Out

Anyone else confirmed to miss them?

I'd say the 14th or the 15th of March

McCarthy is a huge loss for us, think he is our best midfielder and a person who offers real balance to the style Kenny is looking for. Given he is only just back from a groin injury already, I cannot see him being back for the March internationals.

Cullen is a shoe-in to start given that Kenny will definitely want a holding player, especially for the tricky Serbia game. For the other two midfielders, the big question now will be whether he decides to stick with experience, or roll the dice on the younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Coleman out again this evening. O'Shea and Doherty both start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Cullen is a shoe-in to start given that Kenny will definitely want a holding player, especially for the tricky Serbia game. For the other two midfielders, the big question now will be whether he decides to stick with experience, or roll the dice on the younger players.

I would love to see Cullen given a start but I have no idea what you are basing that statement on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

He's used Molumby in that deep role two or three times already. I think if only one of the young midfielders we have is going to play, it'll be him rather than Cullen.

Personally I hope he uses both. And I wouldn't object to Knight as well. The established names just haven't cut it.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    He's used Molumby in that deep role two or three times already. I think if only one of the young midfielders we have is going to play, it'll be him rather than Cullen.

Personally I hope he uses both. And I wouldn't object to Knight as well. The established names just haven't cut it.

I think Molumby's time has mostly been as the 8. He's used Hendrick there a bit alright though, and could see him doing that again. I hope not though!

Cullen as 6, Molumby as 8, and Browne/Hourihane/Knight as the 3rd midfielder would be my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭pgj2015

RonanG86 wrote: »

You play all the young lads together, they get ripped apart most likely, hendrick, hourihan etc mightn't tear up trees but they have experience of international football.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You play all the young lads together, they get ripped apart most likely, hendrick, hourihan etc mightn't tear up trees but they have experience of international football.

Unfortunately they're also our most experienced at going missing in international football.

I would love to see Cullen given a start but I have no idea what you are basing that statement on.
    A few reasons.

Kenny's first ever squad featured McCarthy and Arter, two players who specifically play in the holding midfield role. He has also spoken about McCarthy as being the anchor in the midfield role. Seems clear enough to me that Kenny will definitely want a proper holding midfielder in his system. It was injuries and covid that wrecked his plans last year.

With McCarthy seemingly crocked and Arter only coming back from a long-term injury, Cullen is the only natural option we've got. Hendrick doesn't look a natural in the position, Molumby only has a handful of starts under his belt and it's too early to say what his position is, Hourihane, Knight and Brady play best further up the pitch. If you want a natural 6, there's literally no other proven option.

When you consider this is the first game on the qualification campaign, it's away from home to Serbia, this isn't a game to going all gung-ho on. Kenny is going to have to play a holding player, and it's going to have to be someone who's a natural in the role. I've watched a good bit of Cullen at Anderlecht, he's playing well at a decent level, he's playing in a system that's virtually identical to what Kenny plays. By the process of elimination, he's the only logical choice.

• Advertisement

I think Molumby's time has mostly been as the 8. He's used Hendrick there a bit alright though, and could see him doing that again. I hope not though!

Cullen as 6, Molumby as 8, and Browne/Hourihane/Knight as the 3rd midfielder would be my preference.

This would be my midfield preference for this campaign. Browne had a positive impact when he came on against Slovakia. Offered support to McGoldrick by pushing forward when McGoldrick dropped to receive the ball and pushed on to pressure the defence, something you won't get with Hourihane.

Cullen, Browne and Knight would be another midfield trio that I wouldn't mind seeing, but Browne's experience playing that advanced role in midfield trump's Knights. Though I wouldn't mind seeing us try something like this either in games.

........................Randolph
    ...Doherty - O'Shea - Clark - Stevens
    Coleman - Browne - Cullen - Robinson/McGeady/ someone
    ..........................Parrott
    .........................Connolly
    A few reasons.

.... By the process of elimination, he's the only logical choice.

You know who I wouldn't mind seeing anchor the midfield sometime, Dara O'Shea. Honestly think he could do a job, a better job than even say McCarthy whose poor when trying to anchor the midfield by himself.

We know he's versatile having played across the defence, and seems comfortable on the ball. Unlike McCarthy I think he'll at least look for the ball from the centre backs. Now not saying to start him in midfield, but think he could be an actual option there, like how Enda Stevens is an option in CB if needed.

So Serbia have named their squad for the upcoming games.

https://twitter.com/SerbianFooty/status/1367800606996504578

Very decent Serbian team. The good news is that Matic is retired and their strikers aren't in great form at club level, we can only hope this translates to the internationals. Bad news is that Serbia midfield looks very strong, lots of very good, experienced options there. McCarthy's experience and ability is going to be a big loss in that battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

first impression, only one lad whose name doesn't end with a 'C'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Browne did impress when he came on against Slovakia in fairness, sometimes I think you'd forget about him as an option. He broke the lines and got up in support of the striker which apart from Knight I don't think any other of our midfield options really do.

Presuming we don't pick up anymore injuries the squad almost picks itself apart from maybe the forward options.

GKs: Randolph, Kelleher, Travers
    DFs: Coleman, Doherty, Duffy, O'Shea, Long, Clark, Stevens
    MFs: Hendrick, Hourihane, Browne, Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Brady
    FWs: Connolly, Robinson, O'Dowda - then take your pick from Long, Collins, Maguire, Idah, Parrott, Hogan, Curtis, Horgan etc.

Who we play as a 9 is very hard to call. I would probably go with Long but he could easily go Collins or Idah. Such a shame McGoldrick has retired.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement