Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Browne did impress when he came on against Slovakia in fairness, sometimes I think you'd forget about him as an option. He broke the lines and got up in support of the striker which apart from Knight I don't think any other of our midfield options really do.

Presuming we don't pick up anymore injuries the squad almost picks itself apart from maybe the forward options.

GKs: Randolph, Kelleher, Travers
    DFs: Coleman, Doherty, Duffy, O'Shea, Long, Clark, Stevens
    MFs: Hendrick, Hourihane, Browne, Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Brady
    FWs: Connolly, Robinson, O'Dowda - then take your pick from Long, Collins, Maguire, Idah, Parrott, Hogan, Curtis, Horgan etc.

Who we play as a 9 is very hard to call. I would probably go with Long but he could easily go Collins or Idah. Such a shame McGoldrick has retired.

Definite benefit to him playing and training beside Molumby day in day out at Preston too, given how little training time the squad will have before Slovakia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A few reasons.

Kenny's first ever squad featured McCarthy and Arter, two players who specifically play in the holding midfield role. He has also spoken about McCarthy as being the anchor in the midfield role. Seems clear enough to me that Kenny will definitely want a proper holding midfielder in his system. It was injuries and covid that wrecked his plans last year.

With McCarthy seemingly crocked and Arter only coming back from a long-term injury, Cullen is the only natural option we've got. Hendrick doesn't look a natural in the position, Molumby only has a handful of starts under his belt and it's too early to say what his position is, Hourihane, Knight and Brady play best further up the pitch. If you want a natural 6, there's literally no other proven option.

When you consider this is the first game on the qualification campaign, it's away from home to Serbia, this isn't a game to going all gung-ho on. Kenny is going to have to play a holding player, and it's going to have to be someone who's a natural in the role. I've watched a good bit of Cullen at Anderlecht, he's playing well at a decent level, he's playing in a system that's virtually identical to what Kenny plays. By the process of elimination, he's the only logical choice.

That's all well a good but you are ignoring all previous evidence to date with Kenny's squads. He wasn't picked for 3 of the squads. For the other 3, he played 1 minute against Wales at home, and 23 minutes against Bulgaria at home. Bear in mind that the Bulgaria game he wasn't even in the original squad and was only called up after all the Covid shenanigans started.

I like him as a player, and would love to see him given a chance, but saying he is a "shoe in" to start just ignores everything that has gone before. I don't think Kenny fancies him for whatever reason. I would be happy to be proven wrong but let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That's all well a good but you are ignoring all previous evidence to date with Kenny's squads. He wasn't picked for 3 of the squads. For the other 3, he played 1 minute against Wales at home, and 23 minutes against Bulgaria at home. Bear in mind that the Bulgaria game he wasn't even in the original squad and was only called up after all the Covid shenanigans started.

I like him as a player, and would love to see him given a chance, but saying he is a "shoe in" to start just ignores everything that has gone before. I don't think Kenny fancies him for whatever reason. I would be happy to be proven wrong but let's see.
    Last season Cullen was playing in a Charlton team that was relegated to League 1. You had Arter (got Fulham promoted to the Premier League) and McCarthy (playing in the Premier League) ahead of him. There's no point having three holding midfielders, and Cullen wasn't getting in on form.

The situation has changed since then though. Arter is apparently only back in training after a bad injury, McCarthy has been struggling with injury and seems unlikely to be back. Cullen has kicked on in the meanwhile. Anderlecht are playing at a higher level than Charlton, he plays most games, he's doing well and is getting the plaudits, is taking on a leadership role. It's all night and day from getting relegated with Charlton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Cullen. Browne. Knight. Would be interesting.
    Most likely choice will be Cullen. Hourihane. Brady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You play all the young lads together, they get ripped apart most likely, hendrick, hourihan etc mightn't tear up trees but they have experience of international football.

Experience of doing what in international football though? Hourihane's experience in international football amounts to taking set pieces and hiding from the ball in open play. It's not good enough. Hendrick tries a lot harder, but to say he's managed 1 effective game in every 5 is probably generous.

Hendrick could play, and maybe with better ball players around him, be effective with his work rate. But Hourihane shouldn't be anywhere near first choice, and neither should Arter or McCarthy if he was fit. They haven't played well for Ireland, and the (admittedly limited for Arter and McCarthy) appearances they've made under Kenny didn't show me anything to say that the change in tactical approach is benefitting them. At least the likes of Molumby and Knight have a pair and will show for the ball.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Experience of doing what in international football though? Hourihane's experience in international football amounts to taking set pieces and hiding from the ball in open play. It's not good enough. Hendrick tries a lot harder, but to say he's managed 1 effective game in every 5 is probably generous.

Hendrick could play, and maybe with better ball players around him, be effective with his work rate. But Hourihane shouldn't be anywhere near first choice, and neither should Arter or McCarthy if he was fit. They haven't played well for Ireland, and the (admittedly limited for Arter and McCarthy) appearances they've made under Kenny didn't show me anything to say that the change in tactical approach is benefitting them. At least the likes of Molumby and Knight have a pair and will show for the ball.

I’d agree with a lot of this. It’s time to give Cullen, Browne, Molumby and Knight their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Cullen. Browne. Knight. Would be interesting.
    Most likely choice will be Cullen. Hourihane. Brady

You're not playing Brady and Hourihane in the same midfield.

Assuming Cullen was a sitter, then you choose one or the other and the remaining mid will be a ball of energy... Knight, Molumby. Hendrick to a less extent, but with him it's all energy and that's about it more often than not.

Parrott came off at the 67 minute mark. All the games he's been playing must be taking a toll because he looked dead on his feet coming off. Ipswich played a 4-4-2 with Parrott more advanced than I've seen him previously in a very below par Ipswich performance. Other than the chance I linked to in the video above, he struggled to get into the game. Not sure why the Ipswich manager changed the formation after it got them a win mid-week, clearly didn't work for them today and Parrott looked isolated up top.

Thomas O'Connor (on loan from Southampton) had a fine game for Gillingham though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Aidan McGeady with another assist for Sunderland and James Collins just hit the post for Luton

• Advertisement

Aidan McGeady with another assist for Sunderland and James Collins just hit the post for Luton
    McGeady has really grabbed that Sunderland by the scruff of the neck, they have a real chance of getting one of the automatic promotion spots now.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    You're not playing Brady and Hourihane in the same midfield.

Assuming Cullen was a sitter, then you choose one or the other and the remaining mid will be a ball of energy... Knight, Molumby. Hendrick to a less extent, but with him it's all energy and that's about it more often than not.

That wouldn’t be my choice. That’s what I think Kenny could go with. Brady number 10 with Hourihane as number 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

1991 Matt Busby Testimonial - Old Trafford

Republic of Ireland XI v Man United

Match starts @6:00 in video clip and video quality improves @10:00 ish

Three Celtic lads (Bonner Cascarino and Morris) plus Townsend, McGrath and McCarthy, were missing for Ireland

Peyton had just moved to Everton as No2 to Southall.
    Stan had just completed his 'big move' from Liverpool to Villa
    For Man United Schmeichel was the 'new' face along with Paul Parker.

Felt sorry looking at the pictures of Danny Wallace. Not only did his stock fade quickly football wise. He ended up getting MS and had to give up football.

Ireland Team List:

cJw0wBf.jpg

A freshly retired Liam Brady who was then the Celtic manager. He came on as sub. Still had touches of class even after a year out of playing football.

Man United Team List:

3MsDeDm.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

JM left on the bench without getting on for preston again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

O'Shea and Clark both starting in the afternoon kick-off. Knowing Kenny's luck they'll probably end up injuring each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

O'Shea and Clark both starting in the afternoon kick-off. Knowing Kenny's luck they'll probably end up injuring each other.

Lack of pace a worry for O'Shea, not sure he has the athleticism for that level of football. Clarke has been good. Hendrick off after 56 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Clark really putting his hand up to start for us

Hendrick poor , his usual performance these days

wadacrack wrote: »
    Lack of pace a worry for O'Shea, not sure he has the athleticism for that level of football. Clarke has been good. Hendrick off after 56 minutes
    Clark's performance was about the only positive to take out of the game, he was very solid I have to say. Hendrick getting pulled at 56 minutes tells you everything you need to know about the game he had. He really struggled to get into the game, he wasn't terrible or anything, but he's playing WBA and I expected better frankly. O'Shea did ok, but he was defending against one of the worst strikers to ever play regular football in the Premier League (Joelinton). Robinson has completely dropped off the radar for WBA. He's not even getting time off the bench. I feel a bit for him though, he's a better player than a few of those getting game time ahead of him.

Overall, this has been a pretty terrible week for the Irish players. Would love to have seen someone kick on a bit in the last few weeks, but it hasn't happened. As it stands, there are very few who are playing regular and playing well going into the Serbia game.

Clark's performance was about the only positive to take out of the game, he was very solid I have to say. Hendrick getting pulled at 56 minutes tells you everything you need to know about the game he had. He really struggled to get into the game, he wasn't terrible or anything, but he's playing WBA and I expected better frankly. O'Shea did ok, but he was defending against one of the worst strikers to ever play regular football in the Premier League (Joelinton). Robinson has completely dropped off the radar for WBA. He's not even getting time off the bench. I feel a bit for him though, he's a better player than a few of those getting game time ahead of him.

Overall, this has been a pretty terrible week for the Irish players. Would love to have seen someone kick on a bit in the last few weeks, but it hasn't happened. As it stands, there are very few who are playing regular and playing well going into the Serbia game.

Struggling to produce players now for Championship level. Few players are at Premier League clubs but poor performers at that level. Irish football/player development is in a terrible state atm and anyone suggesting otherwise is in denial.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Struggling to produce players now for Championship level. Few players are at Premier League clubs but poor performers at that level. Irish football/player development is in a terrible state atm and anyone suggesting otherwise is in denial.

And the FAI will still not do anything about it and will remain reliant on our lads being developed by English clubs, even though lads now can't move over until they're 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It really is depressing but you reap what you sow, why should any country that doesn’t invest in its own schoolboy structure and professional league expect to produce players good enough to compete at major tournaments regularly?

1368597308217028610?s=19
    Cullen starts.

sugarman wrote: »
    Callum Robinson has been an unused sub in 6 game in a row now. Hasn't played a single minute in over a month.

Unfortunately for Robinson he'll struggle at premier league level more often than not. He's a very good championship player who could do a job at PL level but would need to be with a team that suits him, unlike Sheffield United who played a system which did not suit him or West Brom who'll be more defensive than attacking.

Hopefully he can get himself a move in the summer to another championship team, even one of the teams that might come up but play a better style of football than West Brom and use a system that suits him better than Sheffield United.

fantastic assist, great vision. Strike is ok too :cool:

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    The only ones playing week in/out at the moment are maybe Clark, O'Shea and Cullen.
    Browne, Knight, Lenihan, and Christie are playing just about every game.

Speaking of Lenihan, I am starting to warm to him quite a lot. He's captain at Blackburn, he's playing every game, he is more comfortable than the likes of Duffy or Egan on the ball, he can pass, he plays out from the back. He was man of the match in the win against Millwall yesterday.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-player-ratings-millwall-19980533
    Darragh Lenihan - 9

In total control of the defensive situation, winning vital headers and timely tackles. An immense presence at the back, won nearly everything.

Unfortunately for Robinson he'll struggle at premier league level more often than not. He's a very good championship player who could do a job at PL level but would need to be with a team that suits him, unlike Sheffield United who played a system which did not suit him or West Brom who'll be more defensive than attacking.

Hopefully he can get himself a move in the summer to another championship team, even one of the teams that might come up but play a better style of football than West Brom and use a system that suits him better than Sheffield United.
    The last time Robinson played was against Sheffield United where he created their only goal and was decent. He has not played a single minute since then, which I think is a disgrace. Manager clear does not rate him and wants a big fella to lump it up to. If Allardyce stays for the next season, Robinson will have to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought Doherty did well aside from one or two lapses. Overall though, there's not a whole lot to get excited about right now.

The last time Robinson played was against Sheffield United where he created their only goal and was decent. He has not played a single minute since then, which I think is a disgrace. Manager clear does not rate him and wants a big fella to lump it up to. If Allardyce stays for the next season, Robinson will have to leave.

Yeah I feel sorry for Robinson because you put him in Villa's squad for example and he'll probably fit in their better even though they're a much better team, wouldn't start but given his style he'd suit them, but a Big Sam team fighting relegation is unfortunately not going to suit him.

But yeah I'd say he'd be better off looking for a move away from West Brom. While he'll play more games with them in the championship, because they can be more attacking, it's gonna be more of the same if they get promoted again unless they bring in an attack minded manager. His contract could be an issue though, still has four years left on his contract.

https://twitter.com/eireguide/status/1368188044302487557

Now even lads that are being talked to about playing for Ireland are getting injured. Would be a good player to have on board given he's now second choice LB at Cardiff, has played a few games for them this season and still only 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nathan Redmond looks to be about declare for Jamaica

With USA, Canada, and Mexico all qualifying automatically for 2026 it's probably the best opportunity for some teams to make the WC.

See Cathal Heffernan, the son of Olympic medalist Rob Heffernan is going to be training with AC Milan, Juventus, Roma, and Atalanta. Stephen Ireland apparently helped organise it for him, and has been trying to set more players up with European clubs.

With USA, Canada, and Mexico all qualifying automatically for 2026 it's probably the best opportunity for some teams to make the WC.

See Cathal Heffernan, the son of Olympic medalist Rob Heffernan is going to be training with AC Milan, Juventus, Roma, and Atalanta. Stephen Ireland apparently helped organise it for him, and has been trying to set more players up with European clubs.

Is Stephen Ireland a agent now? Good to hear more players going into Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

The disappointing thing about that is isn't his Mum Irish. I always assumed he knocked us back because he harbours ambitions to play for England. We are higher ranked than Jamaica too. It is a strange one I didn't expect.

Is Stephen Ireland a agent now? Good to hear more players going into Europe

Not sure if he's an agent, but the lad who runs the Irish Abroad website said he's invovled with a football agency company. Could very well be an agent now given his own young lad is a footballer.
    henke wrote: »
    The disappointing thing about that is isn't his Mum Irish. I always assumed he knocked us back because he harbours ambitions to play for England. We are higher ranked than Jamaica too. It is a strange one I didn't expect.

Yet he probably has a better chance of actually playing at a World Cup with Jamaica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

henke wrote: »

I imagine it would be more embarassing for an English man like him to go into the Soton dressing room announcing he's Irish than he's off to play for Jamaica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yet he probably has a better chance of actually playing at a World Cup with Jamaica.

Also gets to play summer tournament football in the Gold Cup (equivalent of Euros) in which Jamaica have gone deep in each of the last 3 renewals - runners up to Mexico, then runners up to USA, then a semi-final. Which also might help put him in the shop window for an MLS move down the line.
    And a decent chance of playing in a Copa America in 2024 or 2028 as Jamaica played in it twice in the last decade.
    And as you said the 2026 World Cup is a reasonable target for them.

Ireland wouldn't have a great counter-offer really.

Probably looked at it and thought "nah not even I will be able to score a goal for that lot"

Not sure if he's an agent, but the lad who runs the Irish Abroad website said he's invovled with a football agency company. Could very well be an agent now given his own young lad is a footballer.

Ah ok. Interesting. Hopefully he might push few fringe lads onto us.

Although FAI really should be ashamed for hoping on English based players to play for us. But that's a story for different day

showpony1 wrote: »
    I imagine it would be more embarassing for an English man like him to go into the Soton dressing room announcing he's Irish than he's off to play for Jamaica.

The scrutiny and reaction to Rice and Grealish would not have helped either. That would have probably put alot of English born players off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it would be handier to hop on a plane and fly to Dublin for home games than going to Jamacia for a home game. same for away games as well. we are so bad at the moment players will probably start choosing Liechtenstein over playing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We won’t lose sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    We won’t lose sleep

I certainly won't. I do not want players playing for Ireland that do not see themselves as Irish. No problem with any player born outside our island playing for Ireland if he is eligible and sees himself as Irish but not interested in trying to get players who do not see themselves as Irish to play for us.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0308/1202719-jack-byrne-embracing-his-cypriot-adventure/

Encouraging words from Byrne on his experience so far, back injury aside.

Redmond's mother is Irish, his father is English (of Jamaican descent). He obviously doesn't feel the Irish connection too strong if he's going to play for the country of his grandparents, rather than his mother. He'd be a starter for us, but it's all a moot point if he's only lukewarm about playing for us.

The FAI really should have some sort of outreach program for Irish players outside of the UK and Ireland. Being 15 or 16 in a far-away, non-English speaking country is going to be tough for any kid.

Redmond's mother is Irish, his father is English (of Jamaican descent). He obviously doesn't feel the Irish connection too strong if he's going to play for the country of his grandparents, rather than his mother. He'd be a starter for us, but it's all a moot point if he's only lukewarm about playing for us.

Or he just doesn't really care about representing a country and might declare for Jamaica because it's easier to play in tournaments.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jamaica are also offering lads good money to declare for them with the WC being in North America.
    The FAI really should have some sort of outreach program for Irish players outside of the UK and Ireland. Being 15 or 16 in a far-away, non-English speaking country is going to be tough for any kid.

Unfortunately there's lots of things the FAI should be doing but don't, like a full time professional academy for elite young players, but any outreach program IMO should also include the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Depends on the attitude. Might be better off in Europe than always going to England. As it becomes more prevalent will hopefully work to players benefit, more options and opportunities.

Cathal Heffernan is 16 so can’t go to England for trials until he’s 18 because of Brexit. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting experience of trials in Italy or elsewhere. Ideally of course we want to develop and keep players in Ireland that bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

showpony1 wrote: »

Strange comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

He wanted to play for England. 1 cap in a decade of being a pro and Kane, Rashford and the rest are going to make sure he doesn't add to that. At 27 the penny has probably dropped.

Doubt he has much of a connection with Ireland or Jamaica. Probably an easier sell flying out to the Caribbean every international window compared with slugging a 0-0 in the rain in Dublin against Georgia.

Jamaica are really tapping the granny rule with Andre Gray, Demarai Gray, Isaac Hayden, Mason Holgate, Liam Moore, who already has his Jamaican passport, Nathan Redmond, Kemar Roofe and Ivan Toney all in the process or heavily linked.
    Real shades of us circa 1986.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement