Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The FAI really should have some sort of outreach program for Irish players outside of the UK and Ireland. Being 15 or 16 in a far-away, non-English speaking country is going to be tough for any kid.

Great idea.

Sadly it's the FAI we are talking about here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

What about Bamford. Qualifies through grandmother.

Played U-18 for us 2010. Don’t think he has a senior Engkish cap.

He’s 27 has about two International Championships left in him and don’t think he’ll be picked by Southgate. Well hope not.

Very tidy player with excellent finishing skills who links up really well. Poor finishing last night tho.

Reminds me of a decent K Doyle but better finisher.

Thoughts???

Apologies if suggested before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FLOOPER wrote: »
    What about Bamford. Qualifies through grandmother.

Played U-18 for us 2010. Don’t think he has a senior Engkish cap.

He’s 27 has about two International Championships left in him and don’t think he’ll be picked by Southgate. Well hope not.

Very tidy player with excellent finishing skills who links up really well. Poor finishing last night tho.

Reminds me of a decent K Doyle but better finisher.

Thoughts???

Was already pursued at length, they tried to get him to commit 2 years ago, and he backed away. That ship has sailed I’d say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bamford has no interest in playing for Ireland. He is hoping for an England cap and has a chance of getting one at this stage. And good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sugarman wrote: »
    Callum O'Dowda made his return from injury this afternoon lining out for Bristol Citys u23s. He had been out since December with a torn hamstring.

Gives him a chance to make the squad for end of the month hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Came through 66 minutes unscathed, will probably be enough to make the bench this weekend.

Sad state of affairs though. An average footballer who hasn't played since before the new year, yet given the state of our forward line, there's a good chance he'll be making the starting 11 assuming he gets 2 or 3 appearances under his belt before Serbia.

It’s a worry alright. Not optimistic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Just read there, the squad is set to be named on the 18th March.

Holy God. Nursing a hangover and having to read through that squad could be very rough for people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Parrott dropped :( Singled out for some criticism in the press from the manager. "Working hard in all the wrong areas". Apparently.

All the other Ipswich loanees dropped as well. Maybe Paul Cook doesn't like loan players.

Parrott dropped :( Singled out for some criticism in the press from the manager. "Working hard in all the wrong areas". Apparently.

All the other Ipswich loanees dropped as well. Maybe Paul Cook doesn't like loan players.

Not too sure. The comments I read were fairly positive just that he young, must he protected, but also needs be managed better.

• Advertisement

Not too sure. The comments I read were fairly positive just that he young, must he protected, but also needs be managed better.
    I don't know. Would you criticise a 19 year player in public before dropping him after just one game in charge? Seems like crappy management to me. I see Ipswich are getting beaten 1-0 already. Hopefully they get stuffed today.

Ipswich have problems, Parrott is far from being close to the first of them.

I don't know. Would you criticise a 19 year player in public before dropping him after just one game in charge? Seems like crappy management to me. I see Ipswich are getting beaten 1-0 already. Hopefully they get stuffed today.

Fair point. I must see if can get that on video I'm just taking comments I read but I might got context wrong. Losing 1-0 last time I checked

Hadn't even realised Paul Lambert is gone... not ideal for a young lad on loan there alright.

Tonight would be a bloody great time for him to score off the bench if Lambert goes looking to him for a late goal!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hadn't even realised Paul Lambert is gone... not ideal for a young lad on loan there alright.

Tonight would be a bloody great time for him to score off the bench if Lambert goes looking to him for a late goal!
    Parrott and Judge on at the 60 minute mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

See Shane Duffy's mam took to Twitter last night to highlight more personal abuse he's received again this week. You gotta wonder where this lads head currently is with all this abuse, how his career has gone lately and the death of his father, which the scum are using to abuse him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

See Shane Duffy's mam took to Twitter last night to highlight more personal abuse he's received again this week. You gotta wonder where this lads head currently is with all this abuse, how his career has gone lately and the death of his father, which the scum are using to abuse him.

He does seem to be suffering badly. It is just disgusting to see the lack of support he gets as well.
    I know Duffy isn't playing in the epl at the moment but every time I hear the commentators at the epl games say its against "all" forms of racism when players take a knee before kick off I find myself adding in except Irish racism thats still ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I cant understand why footballers are on twitter, especially ones who get abuse for their religion/race etc. its like alcoholics who keep drinking, its not doing you any good but you cant stop. If I was in their position I would just delete all social media and laugh to myself about these small minded losers on twitter, he is the one living a great life, why worry about what some bigot thinks?

Youd want to be fairly brittle to read these abusive messages and let them get to you.

Its just some 15 year old saying baseless and repetitive remarks.
    I include the black players in that as well, baseless words should only be laughed at.

The type of abuse that hurts is that which is deeply personal and comes from people close to you.
    I'd laugh at any of the stuff these pros get from some little teenager trying to show off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I cant understand why footballers are on twitter, especially ones who get abuse for their religion/race etc. its like alcoholics who keep drinking, its not doing you any good but you cant stop. If I was in their position I would just delete all social media and laugh to myself about these small minded losers on twitter, he is the one living a great life, why worry about what some bigot thinks?

And when those same people post abusive letters to players houses they should just tape their letterbox shut because they're living a great life.

People like Duffy and McLean should be able to have social media accounts without being abused just because they're a public figure.

They need to get a lot more support than they are getting. And that should come from FIFA/UEFA/FAs and the public plus the likes of Twitter and Facebook are multi billion dollar companies, if the will was there they could bury this stuff in the morning.
    Eventually the wrong player will be targeted with a very bad outcome.

Youd want to be fairly brittle to read these abusive messages and let them get to you.

Its just some 15 year old saying baseless and repetitive remarks.
    I include the black players in that as well, baseless words should only be laughed at.

The type of abuse that hurts is that which is deeply personal and comes from people close to you.
    I'd laugh at any of the stuff these pros get from some little teenager trying to show off.

I daresay that's a very easy opinion to have when you're not in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone with a tiktok or instagram account gets these types of messages. There is even one Irish guy whose whole account revolves around responding to trolls. Why are footballers such delicate snowflakes? They seem to want a level of protection that the general public just don't get yet they are the ones that have the resources to actually do something about it.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Anyone with a tiktok or instagram account gets these types of messages. There is even one Irish guy whose whole account revolves around responding to trolls. Why are footballers such delicate snowflakes? They seem to want a level of protection that the general public just don't get yet they are the ones that have the resources to actually do something about it.

Well that’s just not even remotely true for starters anyway.

And I dare say the sheer volume and specificity of the abuse players get is significantly higher than what some random dude gets.

I’m not sure why you see yourself in a position to say what does and doesn’t effect other people... I can completely imagine that getting a continuous deluge of personal abuse would be horrible - especially if connected to things like your race, which you just dismissed out of hand in your earlier post.

Also a bit interesting that you choose to use a fairly cemented right-wing put down for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Don't know too many members of the 'general public' who get endless abuse for doing their job

Yes clearly he's a massive snowflake because peopling mocking the death of his father and best friend, whose not even dead 12 months is upsetting.

Ah will you come off it.

It's usually some pathetic stuff littered with spelling mistakes.

"You fenian ****, I hope your Da dies and you're burned in a fire".

If you're going to get upset from receiving messages like that youd seriously want to toughen up.

I'd laugh at those types of messages. If you were getting messages that pointed to them taking it beyond baseless abuse I'd agree(describing your house, car in detail etc).

In the message he shared it was the former, the ramblings of a 15 year old.

Yes clearly he's a massive snowflake because peopling mocking the death of his father and best friend, whose not even dead 12 months is upsetting.

Just turn it off. If it is coming to your house or family that is one thing but on a platform like twitter just don't go there. Plenty of tiktok guys appear on my feed being told to go back where they came from and racially abused (these are guys living in Ireland and the abuse is coming from Irish people). They don't sit there crying about it. They just take it as the ramblings of morons which is exactly what footballers should do. The only reason Ian Wright got to court was because he was famous. If he was an ordinary member of the public without resources then it would never have gone anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Ah will you come off it.

If you're going to get upset from receiving messages like that youd seriously want to toughen up.

I'd laugh at those types of messages. If you were getting messages that pointed to them taking it beyond baseless abuse I'd agree(describing your house, car in detail etc).

Nobody deserves to get abuse like they do. You have zero idea how that may affect them mentally. Not everyone is able to ignore it and just brush it off. You'd laugh it off? ****ing tough guy aren't you? It's people like you that are part of the problem.

https://twitter.com/TRFCNextGen/status/1369921256078925827

Good thread on Lee O'Connor. Wouldn't mind seeing him playing as the number 6 for the U21s, but they also have Conor Coventry and Luca Connell to play as the 6. Tranmere are playing Sunderland in the cup final on Sunday and might see O'Connor playing against McGeady which could be his toughest test this season.

Just turn it off. If it is coming to your house or family that is one thing but on a platform like twitter just don't go there. Plenty of tiktok guys appear on my feed being told to go back where they came from and racially abused (these are guys living in Ireland and the abuse is coming from Irish people). They don't sit there crying about it. They just take it as the ramblings of morons which is exactly what footballers should do. The only reason Ian Wright got to court was because he was famous. If he was an ordinary member of the public without resources then it would never have gone anywhere.

I don’t understand this post at all... you’re pointing out behaviour that is abhorrent and that no-one should have to deal with... and saying it’s grand and the right thing to do is just soak it up and get on with it?

It’s also madness to think everyone deals and reacts to things the same way. You seem actively annoyed that someone could be upset by a deluge of personal abuse, regardless of its source.

Yeah, someone can delete it and shut their ears, but that’s not fixing the actual problems in any way. It’s right that it’s talked about.

And as an aside from all that, people like social media. I enjoy Instagram, or even boards, a lot and would be really annoyed to be forced off by some assholes targeting me. And of course beyond that, social media is a hefty revenue stream for pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ah will you come off it.

It's not a question of "toughening up" why should players have to put up with such nonsense. If the little dweeb that sent the message is identifiable they should face charges, like that kid in Kerry was it that inexplicably got away with sending abuse to Ian Wright after facing charges. He should have been hit with a conviction. I don't get the logic of your point, you're not making much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Well that’s just not even remotely true for starters anyway.

And I dare say the sheer volume and specificity of the abuse players get is significantly higher than what some random dude gets.

I’m not sure why you see yourself in a position to say what does and doesn’t effect other people... I can completely imagine that getting a continuous deluge of personal abuse would be horrible - especially if connected to things like your race, which you just dismissed out of hand in your earlier post.

Also a bit interesting that you choose to use a fairly cemented right-wing put down for them.

Tell tale throwaway remark there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

https://twitter.com/TRFCNextGen/status/1369921256078925827

Good thread on Lee O'Connor. Wouldn't mind seeing him playing as the number 6 for the U21s, but they also have Conor Coventry and Luca Connell to play as the 6. Tranmere are playing Sunderland in the cup final on Sunday and might see O'Connor playing against McGeady which could be his toughest test this season.

Good to hear he is getting on well at Tranmere, he was one I thought had a great chance of turning out to be a decent player but all went very quiet the last year or so, hadn't heard much of how he was getting on at Tranmere. We are in no rush for him to come good (unlike some of the forwards who can't come quick enough) so hopefully he gets another good loan move next season at maybe L1 or SPL level.

I don’t understand this post at all... you’re pointing out behaviour that is abhorrent and that no-one should have to deal with... and saying it’s grand and the right thing to do is just soak it up and get on with it?

It’s also madness to think everyone deals and reacts to things the same way. You seem actively annoyed that someone could be upset by a deluge of personal abuse, regardless of its source.

Yeah, someone can delete it and shut their ears, but that’s not fixing the actual problems in any way. It’s right that it’s talked about.

And as an aside from all that, people like social media. I enjoy Instagram, or even boards, a lot and would be really annoyed to be forced off by some assholes targeting me. And of course beyond that, social media is a hefty revenue stream for pros.

Very well said. I have to say also in a general sense facebook and twitter and of course Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg personally have a lot to answer for. For years now have shown no willingness to self regulate. It is high time they were regulated in a fashion similar to say regular media to stop the revolting level of disgusting behaviour which is basically allowed to run amuck on their platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

https://twitter.com/manunitedzone_/status/1370088933883834368?s=21

Irish flag on his wrist? Get him on the blower Kenny :D

ScummyMan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/manunitedzone_/status/1370088933883834368?s=21

Irish flag on his wrist? Get him on the blower Kenny :D
    He is from the Ivory coast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

eire4 wrote: »
    He is from the Ivory coast!

[Wolfcastle]"Thats the joke"[/Wolfcastle]

Mcgoldrick not coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Also Kenny confirmed in the above Q&A that Nathan Redmond and Callum O'Hare are not eligible having followed it up. Both are a generation out.

He also mentioned that they have been in contact with Liam Delap.

Thought Redmond's mother was a Dub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Also Kenny confirmed in the above Q&A that Nathan Redmond and Callum O'Hare are not eligible having followed it up. Both are a generation out.

He also mentioned that they have been in contact with Liam Delap.

I thought Redmond's mother was Irish and when McCarthy approached him in the past I would have thought it would be have been flagged then but anyway had discounted him ever playing for us. O'Hare one disappointing but fair enough. I'm sure he would have been involved before now if possible so at least there is an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1370108340873932800

Very worrying. Leaves us with just Bazuna, Travers and O'Hara. 3 very inexperienced keepers, only one of which is playing week in/out.

How did people hear of this event? I'm on FAI comms/season ticket and didnt see it...

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/blow-for-ireland-as-darren-randolph-ruled-out-of-opening-world-cup-qualifiers-40186703.html
    In the course of a lengthy session, Kenny reserved special praise for Josh Cullen, who has excelled at Anderlecht and will be definitely be in the squad that is named next Thursday.

"I watched a good bit of him with Charlton and really feel he's taken his game up a level," said Kenny. "He's more progressive in his passing looking forward. He's shown great dynamism. The games are very open, it's a very athletic league, they're not tactical cagey affairs.

"What I like about it is that he's really embraced the opportunity to go there and shown a determination to do well."

Alan Browne was also hailed for his recent displays at Preston, while chief scout Ruaidhri Higgins will watch the in-form Sunderland attacker Aiden McGeady in Sunday's Football League Trophy final against Tranmere.

Aiden O'Brien and Lee O'Connor will also feature in that game and Kenny did not give the impression that a recall for the Glaswegian was imminent, noting the difference in levels between the Championship and League One.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

It was an exclusive event to media and members of supports club, it was very limited numbers. It was done over Zoom so would have been chaos if it was a free for all!

Thanks. Makes sense. I caught a recording so will go through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12243237/alan-judge-ipswich-midfielder-disputes-referee-darren-drysdales-account-of-confrontation

Ref that squared up to Alan Judge said at his hearing that Judge called him a cheat and a bald cûnt. Judge not happy and put out a statement refuting it and claims Ipswich have audio proving this.

Good to hear he is getting on well at Tranmere, he was one I thought had a great chance of turning out to be a decent player but all went very quiet the last year or so, hadn't heard much of how he was getting on at Tranmere. We are in no rush for him to come good (unlike some of the forwards who can't come quick enough) so hopefully he gets another good loan move next season at maybe L1 or SPL level.

O'Connor could to be a late bloomer IMO. His football intelligence has always been second to none, but his size could be an issue at times until he develops a bit more. Hopefully he gets a run out with Celtics seniors next season, his versatility would be good to have as a squad player, and he'd probably have been more suited to play CB for Celtic than Shane Duffy was.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in the squad for Qatar, especially with the U19s Euros cancelled again this year, unless Crawford wants to use his him somewhere other than RB like they did at the U19s Euros two years ago. The U21s are only playing a friendly and the U19's have lads who'd be pushing for places with the U21s and are now overage for the U19s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

O'Connor could to be a late bloomer IMO. His football intelligence has always been second to none, but his size could be an issue at times until he develops a bit more. Hopefully he gets a run out with Celtics seniors next season, his versatility would be good to have as a squad player, and he'd probably have been more suited to play CB for Celtic than Shane Duffy was.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in the squad for Qatar, especially with the U19s Euros cancelled again this year, unless Crawford wants to use his him somewhere other than RB like they did at the U19s Euros two years ago. The U21s are only playing a friendly and the U19's have lads who'd be pushing for places with the U21s and are now overage for the U19s.

I'd say/hope you could be right about O'Connor, generally a lot of our players are late bloomers who have to drop down the leagues and work their way back up. Thinking of Hourihane, Stevens, Egan as some of the higher profile ones in the team at the minute. It's rare that we get a player who breaks into a PL or top Championship team at a young age and stays at that level. I suppose we are hoping that will be the case with a few of the current lads coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well lads....have an Elverys voucher burning a hole in my pocket here and was looking at picking up a long sleeve home jersey which are on sale atm.

Haven't bought an Umbro jersey before so no 100% on sizing....for reference I would be a Medium in Addidas jerseys and Small in O'Neills.

Cheers cm

I'd say/hope you could be right about O'Connor, generally a lot of our players are late bloomers who have to drop down the leagues and work their way back up. Thinking of Hourihane, Stevens, Egan as some of the higher profile ones in the team at the minute. It's rare that we get a player who breaks into a PL or top Championship team at a young age and stays at that level. I suppose we are hoping that will be the case with a few of the current lads coming through.

More than just hoping, and that's probably a big issue and will lead to pressure being applied to the younger lads.

And speaking of Stevens and Egan, they'll have a new manger to impress next season with Chris Wilder leaving Sheffield United.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Well lads....have an Elverys voucher burning a hole in my pocket here and was looking at picking up a long sleeve home jersey which are on sale atm.

Haven't bought an Umbro jersey before so no 100% on sizing....for reference I would be a Medium in Addidas jerseys and Small in O'Neills.

Cheers cm

How tall are you and what weight?
    I'm 5'11 slim build and medium is grand on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How tall are you and what weight?
    I'm 5'11 slim build and medium is grand on me.

Cheers lads...sounds like a Medium so....if I was on CrimeCall I'd be described as approximately 6ft with an athletic build :-)

Nice to have an international jersey without a poxy sponsor logo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Definitely a medium I'd say. I'm M in most clothes and small in O'Neill's also who seem to have odd fits.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement