Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah and predictably Arsenal get a goal down that side. Tierney getting the better of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I'd be shocked if he comes back out for the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not pleasant to see Doherty being roasted with such regularity. Really thought Mourinho would have subbed him off at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Nathan Collins being linked again with a possible move to United. Not surprising with Darren Fletcher being promoted to technical director this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think once we are playing with 4 at the back Coleman starts all day. Doherty defensive game just isn't upto scratch.

Are West Ham struggling with injuries in midfield that Coventry has made the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sugarman wrote: »
    Being eaten alive. His positional sense is shocking at times and even when he is taking up good positions he just stands off his man so easily. If they get even an inch over him, he just gives up.

He really is just a right sided Marcos Alonso. Suited to wing back and no where else just gets ruthlessly exposed every single time he is in a back 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Big game for Josh Cullen and Anderlecht tonight in their Belgian Cup Semi Final v Genk.

They last reached the final in 2015 and haven't won the competition since 2008. They will face rivals Standard Liege in the final should they progress.

Seems crazy to me that players choose to play mid table in the championship rather than challenging for honours in countries like Belgium/Netherlands/etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

How do salaries compare vs championship?
    Edit , Anderlecht is similar to QPR, Forrest , Reading . £0.5M per week , ~£30M per year
    Would seem a better bet to play in Belgium !

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Edit , Anderlecht is similar to QPR, Forrest , Reading . £0.5M per week , ~£30M per year

Typo? No way is he getting 500k a week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

They have great chocolate as well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

AhhHere wrote: »
    Typo? No way is he getting 500k a week :D

Squads wage bill :)
    2 -0 down and on a yellow card too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are they changing it for the world cup campaign? Those prices look like clearance prices.

Big game for Josh Cullen and Anderlecht tonight in their Belgian Cup Semi Final v Genk.

They last reached the final in 2015 and haven't won the competition since 2008. They will face rivals Standard Liege in the final should they progress.

K.O 7.45pm.

https://twitter.com/rscanderlecht/status/1371172052439339010
    I watched this. Cullen was subbed off shortly after Genk went 2-0 up in the 62nd minute, sacrificed as Anderlecht had to chase the game. None of the goals Anderlecht conceded were his fault, rather two bad defensive errors when Anderlecht were caught out on the break. Cullen was his usual solid self, produced a real hard working display, covered a lot of ground, broke up quite a few attacks and tried to get forward and even produced a decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I watched this. Cullen was subbed off shortly after Genk went 2-0 up in the 62nd minute, sacrificed as Anderlecht had to chase the game. None of the goals Anderlecht conceded were his fault, rather two bad defensive errors when Anderlecht were caught out on the break. Cullen was his usual solid self, produced a real hard working display, covered a lot of ground, broke up quite a few attacks and tried to get forward and even produced a decent chance.

Watched it too. First choice midfielder all day long for me. Will slot nicely into the James McCarthy sitting position. Refreshing to see how often he looks for the forward pass.

any good work that he may do could unfortunately be undone by the two midfielders ahead. Hope Kenny chooses wisely. And chooses players who have some intention of actually wanting to be in possession of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

eire4 wrote: »
    They have great chocolate as well:)

And tremendous beers!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Seems crazy to me that players choose to play mid table in the championship rather than challenging for honours in countries like Belgium/Netherlands/etc
    I'll take a stab at explaining why this happens.

First thing I noticed from watching a bit of Belgian football this year is that the teams are very young. Anderlecht themselves have an average age of about 23 I think. They realise they are a feeder club to bigger leagues, they generally only tend to sign young players with potential to sell on.

Secondly, they're only going to want players who are technically good on the ball and have proven themselves. Also, the Belgian league is quite physical too, any player would need to be able to handle that.

Thirdly, if the likes of Anderlecht were in competition on salaries with even a top half Championship team, I doubt they would be able to compete. Realistically, they'd only be able to afford Irish players who've slipped through the cracks, I think I read that Cullen only cost Anderlecht €1m.

Cullen was really the perfect intersection of all those things. He was young, decent, cheap, and not in demand. I doubt there are many (if any) Irish players who combine most of those factors. For example, I believe Parrott is already on £10k a week, that's probably already more than what Cullen's earning. We've the likes of Knight and Collins who I would consider as young and decent, but I doubt Anderlecht would even be in the ball park of being able to afford either.

I am struggling to think of another Irish player who's under the age of 25, who's proven at a Championship level, who would cost €1m or so, and who'd be available for less than £10k a week. The only person who would maybe fit this sort of criteria would be Molumby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I'll take a stab at explaining why this happens.

First thing I noticed from watching a bit of Belgian football this year is that the teams are very young. Anderlecht themselves have an average age of about 23 I think. They realise they are a feeder club to bigger leagues, they generally only tend to sign young players with potential to sell on.

Secondly, they're only going to want players who are technically good on the ball and have proven themselves. Also, the Belgian league is quite physical too, any player would need to be able to handle that.

Thirdly, if the likes of Anderlecht were in competition on salaries with even a top half Championship team, I doubt they would be able to compete. Realistically, they'd only be able to afford Irish players who've slipped through the cracks, I think I read that Cullen only cost Anderlecht €1m.

Cullen was really the perfect intersection of all those things. He was young, decent, cheap, and not in demand. I doubt there are many (if any) Irish players who combine most of those factors. For example, I believe Parrott is already on £10k a week, that's probably already more than what Cullen's earning. We've the likes of Knight and Collins who I would consider as young and decent, but I doubt Anderlecht would even be in the ball park of being able to afford either.

I am struggling to think of another Irish player who's under the age of 25, who's proven at a Championship level, who would cost €1m or so, and who'd be available for less than £10k a week. The only person who would maybe fit this sort of criteria would be Molumby.

Whilst the likes of Anderlecht could not afford to buy the likes of Knight now, it would be deadly to see some of our younger home based talent go to clubs on the continent at 15/16 and emerge from their youth academies.

Irish mammys have alot to answer for, too many of these lads would be homesick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Whilst the likes of Anderlecht could not afford to buy the likes of Knight now, it would be deadly to see some of our younger home based talent go to clubs on the continent at 15/16 and emerge from their youth academies.

Irish mammys have alot to answer for, too many of these lads would be homesick :D

Don’t see why they’d find it harder to go to Holland or Belgium than England. They speak very good English in those countries. With England closed off until they’re 18, go to Europe forget England saturated market anyway.

Or we can develop our own full time academy here and give the lads the training they need rather than shipping them off as teenegers to get the proper training they need. Jeez even the likes of Northern Ireland, Georgia and Macedonia have full time academies.

Or we can develop our own full time academy here and give the lads the training they need rather than shipping them off as teenegers to get the proper training they need.

That is, unfortunately, fantasy land if the FAI are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Are they changing it for the world cup campaign? Those prices look like clearance prices.

They haven’t even worn the home yet have they? Hope to see it against Serbia? Great prices. I already have the away long sleeve, waiting on delivery today of the home long sleeve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

That is, unfortunately, fantasy land if the FAI are involved.

Well until we take care of our own house then we will continue to struggle at the top level in producing players consistently and thus continue to struggle at producing a national team that can be competitive and at least qualify for a major finals on a somewhat consistent basis.

Not disputing what your saying but if we do not start to put in place the proper infrastructure within Ireland to bring through our top young talents in a manner where they have the technical and tactical foundations to have a chance at the highest level then the dreadful football which we have been subjected to for some time now will continue to be our future as an international football team.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40244120.html

Connolly also seems to be in contention to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Kelleher

Coleman----Duffy---Clark

Doherty--Cullen--Knight----Browne--Stevens

Connolly
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

AdrianG08 wrote: »

Kelleher

Coleman----Duffy---Clark

Doherty--Cullen--Knight----Browne--Stevens

Connolly
    Long

While I think there is almost a 0% chance that we will use a 3 at the back formation in Belgrade, as time goes by I think it is becoming something we have to try eventually. It solves a hell of a lot on paper, whether that would translate to reality I guess we would have to wait and see.

Egan and Clark both comfortable in 3 at the back formation. I would think O'Shea would be too considering he has played so many different roles across the back and also think Lenihan has played it at Blackburn previously. Would Collins ever play in it at Stoke? Duffy is the obvious loser here but he is so out of form now many wouldn't start him anyway.

Stevens and Doherty both excellent wing backs. Coleman has played in it for Everton too and Manning definitely more of a wing back than full back. Stevens has even played in the central defence role recently.

We also have very average wingers and its not a position we have much coming through. Collins, Long and Maguire would probably all prefer to play up top with a partner and with Idah, Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi etc coming through it would make sense to field two forwards instead of leaving one up there on their own.

Duffy and McClean are the only real players you can see not being suited to it. Even the likes of O'Dowda, Robinson, Brady who are wingers are all capable of playing centrally either in midfield or up top. Would love to see it tried at some point but not expecting this month to be the time for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gavin Bazunu is in the squad apparently

https://twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1370763845598318598

Peterborough are currently second in League One and there's a good chance they'll be in the championship next season, or Pym himself might get a championship move given he's got just over a year left on his contract.

Has conceded 31 goals in 33 league games this season so far and still young at 25 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not looking good for Idah

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/1371828176389861377

Although McClean has resumed training as of this morning, so he should be good for a fortnight.

...and while nothing official yet, Connolly is sounding like he might be good too.

With a bit of luck, they both make along with Kelleher and we shouldn't be as bad a shape as initially feared.

Connolly would be a major bonus. I wouldn't have wanted Idah to have been seriously considered to play much of a role anyway, given his lack of game time... he's better off getting whatever he needs done so he can get back to proper fitness again as soon as possible.

Fingers crossed for Kelleher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

But disappointing that Molumby can’t seem to get a start on loan at Preston , might not start for us in the up coming games at this rate . Browne, Hendrick , Cullen all ahead of him playing regularly, and Knight . I thought he’d really kick on in the championship this year

tastyt wrote: »
    But disappointing that Molumby can’t seem to get a start on loan at Preston , might not start for us in the up coming games at this rate . Browne, Hendrick , Cullen all ahead of him playing regularly, and Knight . I thought he’d really kick on in the championship this year

Yeah I'd say Molumby was brought in on loan because they were unsure what was happening with Browne, and Browne signing a new contract has meant opportunities are now limited.

Is Knight playing LW again, LiveScore have him down as LW in a 4-2-3-1?

Think Watson was on the left, Knight was in the middle. Unless he switched after he went off.
    Yea, Knight was playing number 10. Don't know why Rooney keeps playing him there, it's not working at all and hasn't been for a long time. After Derby made some changes, Knight dropped to more of an 8 role, both he and the team looked much better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They mentioned Niall Quinn's pen save from 1991 on the telly there.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

They mentioned Niall Quinn's pen save from 1991 on the telly there.

30 years ago that’s crazy. I remember my grandad telling me about it the day/evening it happened. I was only about 8/9 at the time.

Interesting article about the Serbia and their new manager. Looks like people in Serbia are fed up with negatives football and poor results - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/expectations-are-high-serbia-coach-stojkovic-insists-attacking-football-a-must-for-ireland-clash-40199351.html

Perhaps this is a good time for us to be playing them. Looks like this lad has his own ideas and it may take time for them to take root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why do wingers get listed as forwards nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is kieron westwood injured?

ryan manning isnt good is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

pgj2015 wrote: »

ryan manning isnt good is he?

He's a strange one. Always seems to be in and out of teams, both at QPR and now at Swansea. Was poor against Bulgaria I thought. His crossing in particular was dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Glad Connolly was deemed fit enough. Reckon he'll start Kelleher in goal.

I am guessing this 29 man squad is provisional, the usual squad size is 23, right?

The main talking point here will be the absence of McGeady. I am by no means saying he's the answer, but sure he deserves to be there more than the likes of Curtis or Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I am guessing this 29 man squad is provisional, the usual squad size is 23, right?

The main talking point here will be the absence of McGeady. I am by no means saying he's the answer, but sure he deserves to be there more than the likes of Curtis or Horgan.

Curtis and Horgan are 24 and 28, mcgeady is 35 next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Interesting article about the Serbia and their new manager. Looks like people in Serbia are fed up with negatives football and poor results - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/expectations-are-high-serbia-coach-stojkovic-insists-attacking-football-a-must-for-ireland-clash-40199351.html

Perhaps this is a good time for us to be playing them. Looks like this lad has his own ideas and it may take time for them to take root.

Stevan Kenovic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Irish players really need to start considering moves to European leagues. The standard and competition for places in England is incredibly high. They probably produce the best players along with France worldwide. Josh Cullen doing well at Anderlecht is not a coincidence. Alot of our players could do well in other leagues of a god standard. Even Spain and Italy are not producing the quantity or quality of player compared to England. German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga could even be an option. Great coaching and more opportunities

wadacrack wrote: »
    Irish players really need to start considering moves to European leagues. The standard and competition for places in England is incredibly high. They probably produce the best players along with France worldwide. Josh Cullen doing well at Anderlecht is not a coincidence. Alot of our players could do well in other leagues of a god standard. Even Spain and Italy are not producing the quantity or quality of player compared to England. German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga could even be an option. Great coaching and more opportunities

I agree 100% it would take a young fella to show maturity beyond his years though. Much easier to go to the UK speak English. Culture similar.

Plus many soccer lads would not be into languages/education so there will be that barrier as well.

With four keepers named I'd say there's still doubts about Kellehers fitness. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bazunu starting in goals.

With four keepers named I'd say there's still doubts about Kellehers fitness. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bazunu starting in goals.

I see that young lad Bazunu is at Rochdale on loan. Obviously the Barry-Murphy Irish connection helps.

Goalkeeper seems like one of the few bright areas for this Irish team -Travers, Bazunu, and Kelleher. Three come along like buses.

Watching English soccer at the moment is very hard to take though. If a more 'persuasive' manager, or one with gravitas was in charge of Ireland things could have been so different.

There could have been the spine of a great side. Those goalies, and throw in the lads who got away Rice, Grealish, Bamford. Suddenly Ireland would have had a half decent side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see that young lad Bazunu is at Rochdale on loan. Obviously the Barry-Murphy Irish connection helps.

Goalkeeper seems like one of the few bright areas for this Irish team -Travers, Bazunu, and Kelleher. Three come along like buses.

Watching English soccer at the moment is very hard to take though. If a more 'persuasive' manager, or one with gravitas was in charge of Ireland things could have been so different.

There could have been the spine of a great side. Those goalies, and throw in the lads who got away Rice, Grealish, Bamford. Suddenly Ireland would have had a half decent side.

Same as a lot of our positions at the moment it seems like - a lot of potential, but all just a bit too young/inexperienced to really know.

But it's a better collection of upcoming talent in the 18-22 bracket than we've had in a very long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement