Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Goal for Collins, although I am not sure he will get it officially as it went in off the keeper.

Molumby nowhere to be seen depressingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I was excited a few months ago about parrott at Millwall/Ipswich and JM going on loan at Preston. Both now looking like bad moves but age is on still on there side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brilou23 wrote: »
    I was excited a few months ago about parrott at Millwall/Ipswich and JM going on loan at Preston. Both now looking like bad moves but age is on still on there side.

Neither going as well as we'd have hoped, but at least they're still both getting plenty of minutes - Parrott compared to last year, and Molumby compared to the first half of the season. Even with Molumby's more recent benching he's still played an awful lot more than he would have at Brighton. Makes them viable options for us at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

seems level headed but obv not at international standard yet (**** it Kenny get on the phone to him, tie him down :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

It's like that time in PES where Jason Mcateer respawned...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Darragh Lenihan added to the Ireland squad.

sugarman wrote: »
    Surprised he wasn't in the initial squad given how fondly Kenny speaks of him, does that mean someone else is injured / a doubt?

Newcastle play at 8, possibly Clark a doubt for that game so Lenihan being called up.

Edit: Just saw Clark is starting for Newcastle tonight.

O'Dowda apparently went off in tears today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Surprised he wasn't in the initial squad given how fondly Kenny speaks of him, does that mean someone else is injured / a doubt?

Hourihane is out

Hourihane is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Wes H scored a nice goal for Cambridge today . Nice to see him still delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Connolly joining us with the squad, although by the sounds of it Potter was happy for him to be away from the Brighton squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Decent article.

I agree with the back 5.
    I think it’s a midfield 3 that Kenny could pick too.
    Front 3 I’d disagree with, I think it will be Brady, Robinson and Long.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0320/1205153-ireland-xi-who-gets-in-on-club-form/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Decent article.

I agree with the back 5.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0320/1205153-ireland-xi-who-gets-in-on-club-form/

Good article. The last paragraph was a bit of a shock tbh. Horgan, Collins and Curtis as your front three. That's a League One level front three.

Maybe a 4-4-2 diamond might work better. Robinson and Connolly upfront. Cullen, Brown, Knight and Hendrick in midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Decent article.

I agree with the back 5.

That article shows exactly where we are with injuries and a poor squad even without them.
    Stephen Kenny’s problems are really highlighted.
    Won’t stop some posters blaming him though.

Kelleher, Kevin Long, Hourihane, O'Dowda ruled out. Conor Coventry called up along with Lenihan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wonder why Shane Flynn isn't in the mix.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Wonder why Shane Flynn isn't in the mix.

Has he even made an appearance at senior level yet? We have Stevens and Manning in that position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

sugarman wrote:
    Josh Cullen benched, thank Christ.

sugarman wrote:
    Could do with him injury free and well rested. Probably would have been too quick of a turn around between this evening and Wednesday to have seen him start for us.

Came on after 70 mins and got sent off for 2 yellows

Came on after 70 mins and got sent off for 2 yellows

Good lad. Has to start, have proven his loyalty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lasted all of 10 minutes! Thats dedication to staying fit and fresh for Weds :D

LOL a true patriot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

So what’s our injury list now?

No Doherty for Spurs tonight, another injury or left out / let join up with the Ireland squad early?

Aurier is also not in the squad so it could be the Mourinho blame game effect for the defeat on Thursday?

Cullen must have gotten a text that he's starting Wednesday night :D
    My initial thought, but Doherty didn't even play Thursday!

It's José, probably blames him anyway.

Spotted this on a YBIG thread just there, paints a very grim picture on the current state of the team at present ...and that doesn't even include the several players who have withdrawn through injury. Not that any of their club form was any better anyway. Not doubt there will still be cries of "Kenny out" if we don't get a result on Wednesday.

We are in a serious crisis at the moment. We need to develop our own domestic league and possibly merge with NI in the future for an Island league. Looking at countries like Serbia, Poland, Sweden and Norway. They have developed the majority of their players in their own domestic leagues. ie. Haaland and Lewandowski amongst others.

The model of just sending 16 year-olds to England isint going to work as well as before for many different reasons.

Spotted this on a YBIG thread just there, paints a very grim picture on the current state of the team at present ...and that doesn't even include the several players who have withdrawn through injury. Not that any of their club form was any better anyway. Not doubt there will still be cries of "Kenny out" if we don't get a result on Wednesday.

That's unfair. Stevens lost TWO nil against Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cullen must have gotten a text that he's starting Wednesday night :D

It's José, probably blames him anyway.

Doherty performances have put him out of contention all by himself. Tanganga (a center back) has been picked at RB before him this year more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

pjohnson wrote: »
    Doherty performances have put him out of contention all by himself. Tanganga (a center back) has been picked at RB before him this year more than once.

Doherty could be finished now i can't see him getting game time for rest of season Tanganga was good tonight and Aurier is better than him.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Doherty could be finished now i can't see him getting game time for rest of season Tanganga was good tonight and Aurier is better than him.

Aurier will monumentally fcuk up and give Doherty more minutes again.

Spurs will definitely be looking for a starting RB this summer. Doherty needs to hope Brighton see him as a viable replacement for Lamptey at RWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

pjohnson wrote: »
    Aurier will monumentally fcuk up and give Doherty more minutes again.

Spurs will definitely be looking for a starting RB this summer. Doherty needs to hope Brighton see him as a viable replacement for Lamptey at RWB.

Hopefully not he is pure muck.

Highlights of Connell's game for Queen's Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Grim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Looks like they've pulled that article. Anyone have the text?

Looks like they've pulled that article. Anyone have the text?

Only read the bit above the paywall, but that bit was saying that he should benevolently give up his wages from the FAI and give back the money he earned from them thus far.

Nothing new as an opinion, but seems a bit odd to be in a newspaper alright, rather than a blog or forum post.

No Doherty for Spurs tonight, another injury or left out / let join up with the Ireland squad early?
    You'd have to think that after his poor display against Arsenal last week that Mourinho has had enough. He even named two 16 year old's in the squad today ahead of Doherty.

Barring a miracle, I think his career at Spurs is over. Even if Mourinho goes, I can't see Levy and their Director of Football looking at Doherty and thinking that they want to give him another shot next season. My guess is the club have already identified a new right back as top priority for next season and that they will try to move Doherty on.

I think what's important for him is that he moves back to a club that plays a three man central defence. So few clubs in the Premier League play with that system though, perhaps he may need to look to move abroad, unless Wolves will take him back.

You'd have to think that after his poor display against Arsenal last week that Mourinho has had enough. He even named two 16 year old's in the squad today ahead of Doherty.

Barring a miracle, I think his career at Spurs is over. Even if Mourinho goes, I can't see Levy and their Director of Football looking at Doherty and thinking that they want to give him another shot next season. My guess is the club have already identified a new right back as top priority for next season and that they will try to move Doherty on.

I think what's important for him is that he moves back to a club that plays a three man central defence. So few clubs in the Premier League play with that system though, perhaps he may need to look to move abroad, unless Wolves will take him back.
    Brighton be the best fit for him. Lamptey has long been linked with a move away so Doherty would be perfect. Maybe Chelsea would take a look but he wouldn't start ahead of Reece James so would only dislodge Hudson-Odoi as backup RWB.

Totally depends on who their next manager is. If it’s someone that likes 3 at the back, he’s golden. Marcos Alonso under Tuchel is a good example. Totally in the wilderness under Frank, but TT love a good wing back and now he’s firmly a first team regular again.

• Advertisement

Was behind a pay wall anyway.

Claudine on a mad one on Twitter about it.

That's an absolute joke. They had a go at the Independent and they pulled the article??

What's the problem with the article? He is not willing to leave despite the fact there is no role for him. How can he not see how poorly that comes across?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's gas how the thread has gone over the last year.

First calling Doherty the best in his position and some even demanding Coleman retire.

Now it's swung completely the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It'll be interesting to see how many players pick up injuries or get the virus over the next 3 games. I'm predicting a dozen in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

noodler wrote: »
    It's gas how the thread has gone over the last year.

First calling Doherty the best in his position and some even demanding Coleman retire.

Now it's swung completely the other way.

It's not that mad. The retirement thing a bit OTT but a year ago Coleman wasn't in very good form and Doherty was in very good form.

Form is form. That's all you can really go on.

Anyone want to take a stab at who Kenny is going to pick for the Serbia game?

Here's my guess.

Travers
    Coleman - Duffy - O'Shea - Stevens
    Cullen - Knight
    --- Connolly - Hendrick - Brady
    Long

I think he will play Coleman and Doherty tbh and I cannot see any justification for not playing Clarke

• Advertisement

Anyone want to take a stab at who Kenny is going to pick for the Serbia game?

Here's my guess.

......................Travers
    Coleman - Duffy - O'Shea - Stevens
    .................Cullen - Hendrick
    .........Horgan - Brady - Connolly
    ........................Long

Think that's what he'll go with I think. Don't think he'd start Knight as can see him picking Hendrick and Brady in midfield, and if one of those weren't to be picked I think he'd go with Molumby over Knight given he's worked with Molumby more during his time with the U21s.

An XI I'd hope he'd go with would be:

.........................Bazunu
    ...Doherty - O'Shea - Clark - Stevens
    Coleman - Browne - Cullen - Robinson
    ...........................Knight
    .........................Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    It's not that mad. The retirement thing a bit OTT but a year ago Coleman wasn't in very good form and Doherty was in very good form.

Form is form. That's all you can really go on.

Coleman had a grand last season or two. He had a few games on the bench for Everton but nothing sustained.

The overreaction came when he got sent off against Switzerland.

He was never having any sustained reduction in form/appearances that Doherty is currently suffering.

Anywya, Doherty has to play somewhere. He is one of our few Prem options, can actually create something and is good in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

In an ideal world we would play with a back 3 and wingbacks

Bazunu

Coleman--O'Shea---Clark

Doherty--Browne----Cullen---Knight---Stevens

Connolly
    Robinson

In all likelihood we will see this:

Travers

Coleman--O'Shea---Duffy---Stevens

Molumby
    Cullen

--Doherty----Hendrick---Brady

Connolly

If you play Coleman and Doherty together on the right it's better to switch them and have Coleman playing ahead of Doherty. Doherty works best when he's got someone playing further forward to support him and link up with him.

And if you have to switch to a back five during the game it's a matter of Doherty pushing more central and Coleman dropping back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

As horrible as the current injury list is, we don't have that much of a weaker starting XI than we normally would. Egan and goalkeeper aside we have similar ability players to step in to other roles, unfortunately they are similarly of a fairly average standard.

I'd be going for this on Wednesday:

Travers
    Coleman O'Shea Clark Stevens
    Hendrick Cullen Browne
    Robinson Connolly Brady

Wouldn't object to Knight or Long being thrown in there either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement