Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No doubt about it Luxembourg will be looking at us as a team they can knick points off, we have slipped up against Georgia twice in recent years and I'm sure Luxembourg will be thinking they can do the same. Saying Kenny should be sacked for anything other than a win against them is a bit over the top, but if we lose tomorrow and factor in his results to date it certainly wouldn't help his cause.

I said when he was appointed he needs to be given time and an opportunity, even before the draw was made this campaign was always going to be a write off. However if we don't start seeing improvements fast it becomes harder to argue his case, I think 3 points and a few goals would be a good outcome from the next 10 days, any less than that and he is going to face scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't see anything other than a thorough defeat as well.

I'm usually the optimistic sort when it comes to Ireland games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

I'm usually optimistic - but lack of goals and players available make it hard to believe for tomorrow night, just hoping it's not a thumping as Luxembourg will believe they can do the job even more.

If Kenny doesn't pick up a 3 points from 6 available here - can't see him staying on much longer, personally. A bit of too much too soon - I think.

In other news 8 cans of Guinness WITH the widget just €11 in Dunnes, for tomorrow night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Isn't it typical, though? Back in the days when the squad had a bit of real talent in it, we had the likes of Trapattoni imposing a backward playing style. Now that we have a team of true journeymen, we're lumbered with a manager who insists on, or at least aspires to, a more open passing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

athlone99 wrote: »
    Fair enough, was kinda tongue in cheek as i think many people believe that the senior team should be competing with bigger nations. People need a serious reality check. The English changed their academy system 10/15 years ago hence the talent they are now bringing through. We will be lucky to see real progress for 15/20 years given how broke the FAI are.

Well we need to stop creating straw men to waste our time arguing against. I believe we should be able to score a goal once every hour or so of football. I believe we should play to our strengths. I believe we should be able to leverage the consistent character of Irish teams to at least compete against superior opposition.

So far Kenny is struggling with these reasonable expectations. That needs to change.
    There are little to no managers who would take the job so i would stick long term with SK. He is the only manager to my memory to come in and think long term and link the senior team with the underage structure.

You don't make decisions to do things "long term" absent of everything else. He needs to show enough promise for you to continue on. The FAI can't just write him a free pass and ignore performances and results ad infinitum because of "development". No national association would, nor should.

SK better start thinking a little shorter term and make sure he takes the competitive games over the next few months on their own merits. He needs to be competitive to a minimum standard.
    Or another way to look at that is if it wasn't an expanded Euros we would not have qualified, or if in a standard Euros we would not have gotten out of the group.

I find it ridiculous that some people are so dug in on the topic of Kenny and "development" that they will denigrate the achievements we have had as a footballing nation. How miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

briany wrote: »
    Isn't it typical, though? Back in the days when the squad had a bit of real talent in it, we had the likes of Trapattoni imposing a backward playing style. Now that we have a team of true journeymen, we're lumbered with a manager who insists on, or at least aspires to, a more open passing game.

It's a shame he doesn't have a more talented bunch to work with, but at the same time it's not like we're wide open at the back or anything. We've not conceded more than 1 in any competitive games under him. Conceding a hair over .5 goals a game. We conceded more goals in the 4-game Nations League under MON than we did in the 6-game Nations League under Stevens.

So we're solid enough. It's the other end of the pitch that we need to sort out, and it's not like the Trap/Mon approach would've been much more successful when it comes to scoring goals with a squad of players who don't score goals. Interestingly, I think we've forgotten that we only scored 1 goal in the previous Nations League campaign too - in a 4-1 loss against Wales.

One could argue that with a even a little bit of natural goalscoring talent up front you can get away with playing more conservatively, as you always have the ability to nick a goal on the break. But with a weaker squad - that's especially weak up front - you need to try to play some football, because there's no-one to do something magic to get you out of trouble. You need to work together to build easier chances that poorer players have a chance of taking.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I find it ridiculous that some people are so dug in on the topic of Kenny and "development" that they will denigrate the achievements we have had as a footballing nation. How miserable.
    Having grown up watching & traveled to tournaments where we have over achieved and pulled off some top results with, at times, an average squad - I certainly will not be happy with SK been given a free reign over results that MAY come down the line.

Silky passes and free flowing football is only good when you're scoring & creating chances, otherwise i'll take our hard fought 1-0's that got us to WC's & Euros in times gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Kenny should and will be judged the same way any senior international manager should be , on results .

This is not a development role , if that’s what he wanted he should have stayed with the 21”s for 5/6 years and worked with the players, they would automatically know his style of play then if and when he took over .

When you get the big job you have to deliver

If we finish third in the group it’s probably expected so would deserve another campaign, any lower and questions will rightly be asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Johann. wrote: »
    Having grown up watching & traveled to tournaments where we have over achieved and pulled off some top results with, at times, an average squad - I certainly will not be happy with SK been given a free reign over results that MAY come down the line.

Silky passes and free flowing football is only good when you're scoring & creating chances, otherwise i'll take our hard fought 1-0's that got us to WC's & Euros in times gone by.

Those hard fought wins that got us to Euro and World Cup Finals were achieved by squads that had some genuine talent in there. The current squad has very little talent. It is IMHO the least talented Irish squad since the 1970's. We will not be getting anywhere near qualifying for the next World Cup Finals as the talent is simply not there currently and will not be anytime soon as we have not had in place the proper footballing infrastructure to be able to bring players through who are capable of playing at the highest level competitively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tastyt wrote: »
    Kenny should and will be judged the same way any senior international manager should be , on results .

This is not a development role , if that’s what he wanted he should have stayed with the 21”s for 5/6 years and worked with the players, they would automatically know his style of play then if and when he took over .

Pretty much this. As long as the expectation of results is tied to reality. Like, not getting to the World Cup shouldn't be seen as failure. Failure imo is finishing below 3rd spot. 3rd is par, and that's what we need to be getting, along with fleshing out some partnerships on the field, keeping our solid defensive record and improving our chance-conversion.

• Advertisement

tastyt wrote: »

Prepare to be very disappointed and most likely for quite some time. We will not be qualifying for the next World Cup Finals and I do not see the lack of talent in our senior national team changing anytime soon given we have not developed the proper footballing infrastructure to bring players through who can be successful at the highest level of the game.

eire4 wrote: »
    Those hard fought wins that got us to Euro and World Cup Finals were achieved by squads that had some genuine talent in there. The current squad has very little talent. It is IMHO the least talented Irish squad since the 1970's. We will not be getting anywhere near qualifying for the next World Cup Finals as the talent is simply not there currently and will not be anytime soon as we have not had in place the proper footballing infrastructure to be able to bring players through who are capable of playing at the highest level competitively.
    Fair enough - but it wasn't talent that often got us that far, more attitude and a fight. Not something I've seen in this bunch of players at all.

Here's hoping anyway, either way looking forward to a bit of ball and we'll all back Ireland each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Surely a goal against Luxembourg is the peak of our ambition. And of course 50%+ possession.

Fair enough - but it wasn't talent that often got us that far, more attitude and a fight. Not something I've seen in this bunch of players at all.

Here's hoping anyway, either way looking forward to a bit of ball and we'll all back Ireland each time.

No question I will be there tomorrow backing and supporting the team all the way for the 90 minutes. Unfortunately I see nothing coming our way other then a defeat. We just are not good enough IMHO to even get a result against a team with genuinely talented players like Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The big unknown about tomorrow is the Serbians themselves. A new manager who has been brought in to improve the playing style of the team. It's a whole new setup on their side, so it's not as if we're going to a team who have been playing everyone off the park recently. They lost on pens to Scotland after a 1-1 draw.

They have 2 wins in their previous 10 games - one of which was against a Russian side with nothing to play for. They've drawn 6 of those 10 matches. They are starting from scratch somewhat, and they weren't world beaters before that.

In normal circumstances a draw wouldn't be ruled out tomorrow. Unfortunately we are missing a huge number of players from what was an already limited squad ability-wise. I think a 0-0 draw or 1-0 defeat are the most likely outcomes.

No question I will be there tomorrow backing and supporting the team all the way for the 90 minutes. Unfortunately I see nothing coming our way other then a defeat. We just are not good enough IMHO to even get a result against a team with genuinely talented players like Serbia.
    Yep, I agree. No matic, No Kolarov though this time round. Mitrovic is sole PL player, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well we need to stop creating straw men to waste our time arguing against. I believe we should be able to score a goal once every hour or so of football. I believe we should play to our strengths. I believe we should be able to leverage the consistent character of Irish teams to at least compete against superior opposition.

So far Kenny is struggling with these reasonable expectations. That needs to change.

You don't make decisions to do things "long term" absent of everything else. He needs to show enough promise for you to continue on. The FAI can't just write him a free pass and ignore performances and results ad infinitum because of "development". No national association would, nor should.

SK better start thinking a little shorter term and make sure he takes the competitive games over the next few months on their own merits. He needs to be competitive to a minimum standard.

Short term thinking is what has us in this stage. Read champagne football if you havent already.

So you would rather we go back to parking a bus, defending for 90 mins and try nick a goal?

I can already see a style of play developing and trying to change years of muck football. Thats progress for me and for people who understand football. If we change the style of play and bring in young players and we finish 3rd as i expect us to, that is progress, if you cant see that we are wasting our time.

As mentioned previously the defence has been pretty good and if we can build on that and score more goal ill be happy.

Really dont know about tomorrow. Our squad is the worst its been in a long time and id be delighted with a draw. Its hard to know what to make of Serbia.

What do you term competitive? Going around smashing lads in a tackle? Doesnt happen anymore in football. Things have moved on, most teams now try and play football.

The way football is stacked now ita next to impossible for a country like Ireland to qualify for a wc and as i said we only qualified in 2016 because they expanded the Euros. Italia 90, Euro 88, wc 94, 2002 and 2012 were big achievements, 2016 is not as good as those.

Short term thinking is what has us in this stage. Read champagne football if you havent already.

So you would rather we go back to parking a bus, defending for 90 mins and try nick a goal?

I can already see a style of play developing and trying to change years of muck football. Thats progress for me and for people who understand football. If we change the style of play and bring in young players and we finish 3rd as i expect us to, that is progress, if you cant see that we are wasting our time.

As mentioned previously the defence has been pretty good and if we can build on that and score more goal ill be happy.

Really dont know about tomorrow. Our squad is the worst its been in a long time and id be delighted with a draw. Its hard to know what to make of Serbia.

What do you term competitive? Going around smashing lads in a tackle? Doesnt happen anymore in football. Things have moved on, most teams now try and play football.

The way football is stacked now ita next to impossible for a country like Ireland to qualify for a wc and as i said we only qualified in 2016 because they expanded the Euros. Italia 90, Euro 88, wc 94, 2002 and 2012 were big achievements, 2016 is not as good as those.

Again, I just can't see how players can be blooded, nevermind into a 'new' system during 8/10 games over 18 months.

If you've seen progress under Kenny then you might want to reassess what you think you know about football.

I'm not knocking him, it's been a tough start cursed with injuries but it's a bit much to argue you've seen progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Are there many posters on here that lived through Mick's first era 1996-2002?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Are there many posters on here that lived through Mick's first era 1996-2002?

Yes I did. And Jack's tenure. Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

Thats progress for me and for people who understand football.

Exactly we have had more possesion than our opponents in most of Kenny's games. Thats better than scoring a goal for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

noodler wrote: »
    Again, I just can't see how players can be blooded, nevermind into a 'new' system during 8/10 games over 18 months.

If you've seen progress under Kenny then you might want to reassess what you think you know about football.

I'm not knocking him, it's been a tough start cursed with injuries but it's a bit much to argue you've seen progress.

I’ve seen a change in the style of football we are trying to play ie keeping the ball on the ground, trying to pass to each other instead of hoofing it up in the air and trying to win aerial duels. It will take time and Kenny is not helped by the constant injuries and drop outs, he can’t get the same players in the same positions for two games running. Imagine trying to get your ideas across to a group of players and practicing in training only to discover that you have a new group at the next session. I pity Kenny with the luck a Irish players are having.
    I’m also going to give him a few campaigns before asking for him to be sacked because that’s the fair and decent thing to do whether you like him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Prepare to be very disappointed and most likely for quite some time. We will not be qualifying for the next World Cup Finals and I do not see the lack of talent in our senior national team changing anytime soon given we have not developed the proper footballing infrastructure to bring players through who can be successful at the highest level of the game.

Been disappointed watching Ireland for years. When i could stay awake I mean.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Exactly we have had more possesion than our opponents in most of Kenny's games. Thats better than scoring a goal for some.

Its better than having 20% possession, sitting in for 80 mins and trying to scrape a draw after going behind. We are now trying to create rather than hit and hope. If SK could have picked the same 11 in more than 1 game, we would be much further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Genuine question and not trying to be smart: why is footballing infrastructure constantly being brought into the conversation? Seeing as we never had a footballing infrastructure before yet have produced some genuinely world class talent. Is it the fact that kids don't play football on the street anymore so we don't have those natural talents like Liam Brady or Damien Duff?

Yep, I agree. No matic, No Kolarov though this time round. Mitrovic is sole PL player, so we'll see.

And he's not even a PL regular. It's not a daunting Serbian side, compared to what they've had over the last while.

I guess playing league of Ireland for a few years, having coaching badges etc its enough for you??

If you want to see how football has changed, we are now coaching kids from 5 years old to play the ball out from the back, keep possession and build up the play. We happen to be 15 years behind everyone else but at least we are now starting from a better position.

Going from 20/30% possession to above 50% in most games is progress, conceedimg in and around the same amount but not scoring. We have created more chances to my memory under SK just not taking them. Progress

Its better than having 20% possession, sitting in for 80 mins and trying to scrape a draw after going behind. We are now trying to create rather than hit and hope. If SK could have picked the same 11 in more than 1 game, we would be much further along.

Yep. We are so good at creating. One goal from a corner in 720 mins is fantastic. Definitely not trying to scrape a draw anyway.

Genuine question and not trying to be smart: why is footballing infrastructure constantly being brought into the conversation? Seeing as we never had a footballing infrastructure before yet have produced some genuinely world class talent. Is it the fact that kids don't play football on the street anymore so we don't have those natural talents like Liam Brady or Damien Duff?

In my opinion, with the expansion of the premier league and the money involved, they can pick players from all over the world. So young irish players are not just competing against 5 nationalities in academies its 50/60 so much harder to break through.

And its definately the case that we have less street footballers. Kids have more distractions now a days. When i was a kid i could spend 6 hours hitting a ball off the gable end, practising shooting, etc. I dont see kids doing that anymore, they play the ps5/5, are on a phone or just watching tv.

• Advertisement

In my opinion, with the expansion of the premier league and the money involved, they can pick players from all over the world. So young irish players are not just competing against 5 nationalities in academies its 50/60 so much harder to break through.

And its definately the case that we have less street footballers. Kids have more distractions now a days. When i was a kid i could spend 6 hours hitting a ball off the gable end, practising shooting, etc. I dont see kids doing that anymore, they play the ps5/5, are on a phone or just watching tv.

Rival sports as well, such as rugby, have grown in popularity amongst kids.

I guess playing league of Ireland for a few years, having coaching badges etc its enough for you??

If you want to see how football has changed, we are now coaching kids from 5 years old to play the ball out from the back, keep possession and build up the play. We happen to be 15 years behind everyone else but at least we are now starting from a better position.

Going from 20/30% possession to above 50% in most games is progress, conceedimg in and around the same amount but not scoring. We have created more chances to my memory under SK just not taking them. Progress

Keep the goalposts where they are.

It has been agreed in all quarters that the progress you speak of is required at lower age development levels.

Let's take it on face value that an increase in possession for the senior team represents progress (it needs to be meaningful). Is 20/30% representative of Irish teams in the last decade or is it cherry picking some very low possession games under Mick/MON? Because a retune to average possession without the ability to get more than one result (or one goal) in 11 games isn't progress.

A couple of posters are tarring everyone expressing doubts over the viability of a multi-campaign run without results by stating such poster must have it in for SK.

It's blatantly untrue and only serves to deflect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I saw this article about the England team which discusses the options available to them of attacking players to support Kane - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56487138

They have come up with a shortlist of 7 players.

Foden
    Grealish
    Maddison
    Mount
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Sterling

Honourable mentions go to Bukayo Saka, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Tammy Abraham, Harvey Barnes, Jesse Lingard, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Ollie Watkins and Patrick Bamford.

We obviously have no one anywhere near that standard.

Going down the list, there's a whole bunch other decent attacking players who would still eclipse anyone we have currently. Callum Wilson, Zaha, Ings, Antonio, Harvey Elliot, Toney, Solanke, Hudson-Odoi, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Greenwood, Bellingham. There's probably plenty more I am missing there.

How many English players would have to be unavailable before the likes of a Long, Connolly, or Brady would make the England squad? We're obviously a smaller country than England, but statistically speaking, surely we should have 2-3 players in those buckets?

Irish football is at a very low ebb at this moment.

We’re just reaping what we’ve sown...**** all. The FAI have just relied on the English club system to churn out players for god knows how long and as the PL has become stronger and more global, we’ve had less an less players making any sort of an impact.

The FA, meanwhile, even though they had all the same clubs to rely on, decided that Lilleshall wasn’t fitting the bill and built St George’s Park as their new base for all teams right through the age groups and up to the Senior Team, and they are seeing the benefits.

England have the players to be getting to WC finals and I think they will do once they get over their apparent psychological fear of semi finals.

It has been agreed in all quarters that the progress you speak of is required at lower age development levels.

Let's take it on face value that an increase in possession is progress (it needs to be meaningful). Is 20/30% representative of Irish teams in the last decade or is it cherry picking some very low possession games under Mick/MON? Because a retune to average possession without the ability to get more than one result (or one goal) in 11 games isn't progress.

A couple of posters are tarring everyone expressing doubts over the viability of a multi-campaign run without results but stating such poster must have it in for SK.

Sure some say that if you disagree with Kenny/possession = progress you are a John Delaney supporter.
    I'm of the opinion that a lot of people who want him gone were also backers of Delaney and happy to take free pints and lift him on their shoulders while he bled the FAI dry and we are now reaping the rewards of that.

So yeah.

Let's take it on face value that an increase in possession is progress (it needs to be meaningful). Is 20/30% representative of Irish teams in the last decade or is it cherry picking some very low possession games under Mick/MON? Because a retune to average possession without the ability to get more than one result (or one goal) in 11 games isn't progress.

A couple of posters are tarring everyone expressing doubts over the viability of a multi-campaign run without results but stating such poster must have it in for SK.

Also, we're all sitting here assuming SK wants to be in the job for 'campaigns' to come - never qualifying.

It's not anti SK to want to score goals & get to tournaments - route one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You see the problem is most teams play that way and have more technically gifted players so basically your asking our technically inferior players to beat other moderate teams at their own game.

It may look prettier but it won't work.

We'll be like Scotland was, trying to play a continental game, but in terms of tournaments we won't be at any.

We'll end up being caught on the break over and over again.

We need to bring a more defensive long ball element in again imo. Not back to how it was but we need to go back a bit in my view. Mix it up a bit.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. We are so good at creating. One goal from a corner in 720 mins is fantastic. Definitely not trying to scrape a draw anyway.

Ok grand, ill set it out for you then.
    Nations league 2020
    68 shots in 6 games
    85% passing accuracy
    53% average possession
    0.7 goals conceeded
    1 goal scored

Nations league 2018
    1 goal scored
    1.25 goals conceeded
    Cant find possession or shot stats

Euro 2020
    7 goals scored in 8
    5 conceeded
    Won 3, including beating Gilbrater twice and being outplayed by Georgia twice
    24 shots in 8 games
    Lowest goals scored ever in a group

Thats just some of the stats i could find quickly. We havent been able to score for 8 years. But at least we are creating chances. If the team creates chances but fails to take them its kinda hard to blame the manager for that. If we are not creating chances and not scoring thats the managers fault.

I’ve seen a change in the style of football we are trying to play ie keeping the ball on the ground, trying to pass to each other instead of hoofing it up in the air and trying to win aerial duels. It will take time and Kenny is not helped by the constant injuries and drop outs, he can’t get the same players in the same positions for two games running. Imagine trying to get your ideas across to a group of players and practicing in training only to discover that you have a new group at the next session. I pity Kenny with the luck a Irish players are having.
    I’m also going to give him a few campaigns before asking for him to be sacked because that’s the fair and decent thing to do whether you like him or not.

He won't get a few campaigns if the results aren't promising. That's the reality, unless the FAI is so broke that they literally cannot afford to hire anyone more experienced.

I mean, maybe Steve Staunton should have gotten one or two more campaigns. He was young (in terms of being a football manager) and he was inexperienced. Maybe he would have grown into the role, given time. We don't know for sure because he was turfed out. Same thing for Brian Kerr.

People have said in the past that they don't care what results Ireland get as long as they're playing good football, with good football meaning a passing game. My contention is that good football is whatever delivers the best possible results, short of cheating. Yes, there should be a grace period for any manager where he beds in his methods, but if that period is any longer than a year it's usually because the overseeing organisation isn't in a position to get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Because times have changed and the rest of the world has moved on, except us which means the opportunities that Brady and Duff had aren't there anymore because the competition is much better now.

When Brady was playing you had lads playing for LOI teams and then moving to the likes of United to be a first team player. When Duff went over to Blackburn there was probably minimal players from the continent, and any player from the continent were probably already established experienced players. Now you'll see teenegers from around the world in academies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Jack Charlton 1988 on the Euro Championships:

"If we try play them at their game we're going to get stuffed"

That's what we are trying to do now...

Ok grand, ill set it out for you then.
    Nations league 2020
    68 shots in 6 games
    85% passing accuracy
    53% average possession
    0.7 goals conceeded
    1 goal scored

Nations league 2018
    1 goal scored
    1.25 goals conceeded
    Cant find possession or shot stats

Euro 2020
    7 goals scored in 8
    5 conceeded
    Won 3, including beating Gilbrater twice and being outplayed by Georgia twice
    24 shots in 8 games
    Lowest goals scored ever in a group

Thats just some of the stats i could find quickly. We havent been able to score for 8 years. But at least we are creating chances. If the team creates chances but fails to take them its kinda hard to blame the manager for that. If we are not creating chances and not scoring thats the managers fault.

Euro 2020

I'll just split hairs to say that I reckon disregarding three draws against better Danish/Swiss opposition is misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Jack Charlton 1988 on the Euro Championships:

"If we try play them at their game we're going to get stuffed"

That's what we are trying to do now...

It really isn't. Bar the England game, Ireland have been in contention right up to the final whistle.

It all falls on the manager one way or the other, right or wrong. You are saying that Ireland have created chances in their games but failed to score from them, presumably because of errors or lack of skill on the part of the players, but we could extend that logic to say that Ireland conceded goals because an errant pass played in midfield, or a defender failed to position himself correctly during a corner, or had a lapse in concentration that enabled the forward he was supposed to mark to get away.

I remember that when Ireland lost 3-1 to Croatia, Trapattoni said in the post-match presser that it was the players' fault because they failed to follow his instructions, and I remember this statement was a bit controversial. It could be argued that wins and losses often come down to a split second decision where a certain player chooses to do the right thing or the wrong thing, and the manager can't really be in control of that because it would be impossible to go over every eventuality or address every possible failure of human awareness in training. So, while it can very often be the players' fault, the manager usually gets the blame. It's just part of the responsibility they take on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If the thread is like this tonight I can only imagine what it will be like tomorrow evening if we lose.

If the thread is like this tonight I can only imagine what it will be like tomorrow evening if we lose.

I'm almost at peace with it.

I've never seen a team as weak or as blighted by injuries.

We need to put it up to them from the off. Don't let them settle. Longer we stay in it the more confidence will grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mix it up a bit.
    Agree with this.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You don't have to play 100% long ball. You don't have to play 100% passing/possession. As you say, you can mix it up.

We went from one extreme under O'Neill to the other under Kenny and I fear that we've completely thrown away a few areas that are a strength for us. In particular, our set plays and crossing under Kenny has definitely regressed. One thing I will be looking for when we play the March internationals is an improvement in this area. Based on what I've seen from club form, it's our best chance at a goal, so it'd be foolish for us to discard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think anyone is expecting us to get anything from tomorrow.

Failing to beat Luxembourg at home on the other hand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Utter nonsense in this day and age ffs.

And Jack was wrong. We had the players to hold our own against anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    And Jack was wrong. We had the players to hold our own against anyone.

He wasn't really.

These conversations are depressing enough in general tbh had a look at the 2002 team the other day and there are lads that weren't starting there that would be absoloute stars in this team. Shame that the rice grealish partnership never happened even the young generation that we where looking forward to a few months back are faltering now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

These conversations are depressing enough in general tbh had a look at the 2002 team the other day and there are lads that weren't starting there that would be absoloute stars in this team. Shame that the rice grealish partnership never happened even the young generation that we where looking forward to a few months back are faltering now

Not too long ago we had Parrott looking good at Spurs, Masterson and Kelleher looking promising at Liverpool, Ryan Nolan progressing at Inter, Lee O'Connor and O'Hara at Man U and Johansen at Bayern.

That all went to **** pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement