Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

athlone99 wrote: »
    Some of our ex players who write columns are really starting to get to me. Anyone ready Richard Dunnes column in the INDO? Basically saying Ireland and Serbia are equals and we should be beating them. Heres a look where the squads are playing roughly.

Ireland - 10 premier league, 11 champ, 4 L1, 1 Belgium and 1 Scotland
    Serbia - 4 in Spain, 1 In Swiss, 5 in France, 7 in Italy, 3 in Holland, 3 in Germany, 1 in portugal and 1 premier league.

Football here will never move on until these ex players acknowledge where the current squad is. People tend to big up the championship as a real competitive league (which it is) but when you play international football its not a patch on most European leagues. How in the hell are we suppose to complete with players playing champions league/Europa league football. Apart from Coleman and Doherty, Dundalk players have played more European football than anyone in the Ireland squad.

Well, in fairness, if you were to ask should players who play 38 games in the EPL per season be better prepared for international football then a few Dundalk lads who played half a dozen or so EL games across a couple of years, then the answer is obvious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thoughts on tomorrow?
    It is a massive game for Ireland now and I think there is an expectation of a win. I am wondering if that expectation is misplaced though. Home advantage means nothing without crowds imo and Lux are not the whipping boys they used to be. I am optimistic that if we play as well as we did against Serbia we can get a win but I am nervous as hell of what might happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Thoughts on tomorrow?
    It is a massive game for Ireland now and I think there is an expectation of a win. I am wondering if that expectation is misplaced though. Home advantage means nothing without crowds imo and Lux are not the whipping boys they used to be. I am optimistic that if we play as well as we did against Serbia we can get a win but I am nervous as hell of what might happen.

Luxembourg were beaten by Liechtenstein less than a year ago. Nothing less than a win and a comprehensive performance will be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am wondering if that expectation is misplaced though.
    It's not misplaced. Luxembourg are a little stronger than they've been historically, but we should still have far too much for them, especially at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

noodler wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, if you were to ask should players who play 38 games in the EPL per season be better prepared for international football then a few Dundalk lads who played half a dozen or so EL games across a couple of years, then the answer is obvious.

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He wasn't suggesting Dundalk lads get into the Ireland team over our current crop. He was saying that our current crop has so little European level experience, that in comparison the Dundalk lads have a lot more at the moment.

Which should never be the case that our national team has so few playing at that level that a LOI team would have played more than our current crop collectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Thoughts on tomorrow?

Id like to see the same team/formation maybe apart from Connolly. I think it worked well the other night and it deserves another go. Id like to see them take some confidence from the performance. I'm going for a 2 goal win whether thats 2-0/3-1 i dont really care. Id like to see 60%+ possession and 7/8 shots on goal. As you have said we are not good enough to whip anyone 4/5 zip anymore. Score 2 or 3 goals and win and i'll be happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's not misplaced. Luxembourg are a little stronger than they've been historically, but we should still have far too much for them, especially at home.

Misplaced I mean given our performances over the last 3 years barely beating Gibraltar, poor result against Georgia, losses to Finland, Bulgaria results etc.

We should have had had far too much for all of those aswell but came up short. That is why I am nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Misplaced I mean given our performances over the last 3 years barely beating Gibraltar, poor result against Georgia, losses to Finland, Bulgaria results etc.

We should have had had far too much for all of those aswell but came up short. That is why I am nervous.

I think if we dominated possession and created chances and won by minimum 2 goals i think a lot of people would get off of SK's back. We havent done that years. Watching Georgia dominate the game in the Aviva was depressing.

athlone99 wrote: »
    I think if we dominated possession and created chances and won by minimum 2 goals i think a lot of people would get off of SK's back. We havent done that years. Watching Georgia dominate the game in the Aviva was depressing.

That is the ideal outcome however we have not had an ideal outcome in any game other than Georgia at home for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

For tomorrow, assuming he sticks with the same formation I'd like to see:

Bazunu

Clark
    O'Shea
    Coleman

Stevens
    Cullen
    Knight
    Browne
    Doherty

Robinson
    Collins

Although I've a feeling he may stick with Travers so as not to sent his confidence.

We really need a win. A performance and a win would be great. But a win of any kind is needed to placate the noise around the manager.

I'm going to take a stab at a 2-0 win.

• Advertisement

plibige wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He wasn't suggesting Dundalk lads get into the Ireland team over our current crop. He was saying that our current crop has so little European level experience, that in comparison the Dundalk lads have a lot more at the moment.

Which should never be the case that our national team has so few playing at that level that a LOI team would have played more than our current crop collectively.

I think the thrust of the point was well-made and understood, just the bit at the end referencing Dundalk seemed unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Is nobody thinking stick doherty in the back 3(was fine at CB vs Wales last year) and move Coleman to RWB.

I’ve never believed the narrative that Doherty is better attacking than Coleman. I think Doherty was incredibly lucky not to be replaced or at least switched in Belgrade. He gave us so little and would make me wonder about the Manager’s in game management.

Is nobody thinking stick doherty in the back 3(was fine at CB vs Wales last year) and move Coleman to RWB.

I’ve never believed the narrative that Doherty is better attacking than Coleman. I think Doherty was incredibly lucky not to be replaced or at least switched in Belgrade. He gave us so little and would make me wonder about the Manager’s in game management.

Coleman is too good defensively imo.

He made two or three critical interventions on Wednesday to stop clear chances.

I also can't shake the feeling he can't quite beat a man like he used to.

I think Coleman was needed in the back 3. He bailed out Travers at one stage when Travers hesitated coming for the ball. I think O'Shea benefits from having Coleman there too and don't think Doherty is as much of a leader and grafter in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Thoughts on tomorrow?

Need to be dominating them and winning. Would like to see the same formation, only change I’d make is Collins for Connolly and have Connolly and Long come on to run them ragged for the last half hour. And maybe change the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Coleman is too good defensively imo.

He made two or three critical interventions on Wednesday to stop clear chances.

I also can't shake the feeling he can't quite beat a man like he used to.

Maybe, couldn't tell you because I can't remember the last time I've watched him play for Everton, but his game intelligence makes up for whatever he's lost in terms of beating his man, pace etc etc.

Egan is massively missed because he'd occupy that central position in the back three, and organise things allowing Coleman to push out wide and get more involved in attacks.

Against Luxembourg I don't think we'd really need Coleman in that back three like we did against Serbia, but if he's named there he'll hopefully be allowed to push more up into midfield with the ball like O'Connell and Basham do for Sheffield United. Think Stevens did it too for Ireland against Switzerland I believe. He'd played in a back three and would push on with the ball as he's used to it at club level whenever he had to fill in at CB.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1375371980887760899

U21s are playing after for anyone wanting to follow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Honestly don't get the idea of keeping Travers in for his confidence. Its not club football, Travers' confidence shouldn't be Kenny's concern. Travers had a mare on Wed, was indecisive and unsure of himself. Made a number of mistakes. He honestly should have been taken off at half time. He's not getting the game time at club level and doesn't have the experience yet that Bazanu has. I would be surprised if a change isn't made, Travers just needs to get a little more experience under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Thoughts on tomorrow?

Well I don't know much about Luxembourg. But my auld fella maintains way back before Ireland improved, they used to struggle against the likes of Luxembourg. Historically though, Ireland are unbeaten in the five times the two teams have played each other

In my mind Ireland are back to that level of struggling against a minnow. Because Ireland now has a 'minnow' mindset. A lot of it is to do with lack of confidence, and the weakest group of Irish players for many a decade. Plus international football has improved overall.

Looking at the record in recent games. Luxembourg have a better record than Ireland

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/comparison/?team_ids%5B%5D=1202&team_ids%5B%5D=1425

https://afootballreport.com/predictions/head-to-head/europe/wc-qualification-europe/republic-of-ireland/luxembourg/NDMyNy00Nzk1

Luxembourg have achieved a win 2-1 away against Montenegro back in October 2020. They also got a draw against Azerbaijan in November 2020. Azerbaijan a team which Portugal struggled to break down only recently in a 1-0 win.

It is true that Luxembourg were beaten by Liechtenstein 7th October 2020. But after that game Luxembourg beat Cyprus three days later.

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/luxembourg/luxembourg/1425/

Plus, I seem to remember in fairly recent history Ireland were humiliated by/struggled against Cyprus a few times. When the 'gaffer' was manager.

Looking at the Luxembourg team on transfermarkt

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luxemburg/startseite/verein/3580

Their top three valued lads are as follows:

Leandro Barreiro a midfielder who plays in the Bundesliga for Mainz - a regular starter in the side -

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leandro-barreiro/leistungsdaten/spieler/357233

Played 24 times for Luxembourg and scored once.

Christopher Martins Pereira a Defensive Midfielder who plays for Young Boys - Switzerland

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/christopher-martins-pereira/profil/spieler/248054

Played 38 times for Luxembourg scored once

Gerson Rodrigues Centre Forward owned by Dinamo Kiev - was loaned out to Turkish club Ankaragücü who play in the first tier.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gerson-rodrigues/profil/spieler/282734

Played 31 times for Luxembourg and has scored 5 times.

--

In answer to your question. On paper I would be hoping for an Irish win 2-0 or maybe even 3-0.

But given the confidence level of the Irish team at the minute, lack of settled tactics, lack of crowds, lack of goals (save for the last game), untried goalkeepers I honestly would take a 1-0.

If I was to guess a result I would say 2-0 Ireland - lots of unnecessary side to side passing not enough penetrative passes, prone to lapses of concentration.

If I was in the Luxembourg team or a supporter - the mindset surely would be 'we have a chance against this crowd lads'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If we need Coleman in the back 3 to help solidify the defense that ended up conceding 3 goals (2 soft goals) anyway then what’s the point of the 3-5-2?

If the point of the 3-5-2 is to have doherty and Stevens in their best positions but they contribute little in those positions then again I’m wondering what’s the point of the 3-5-2?

• Advertisement

If we need Coleman in the back 3 to help solidify the defense that ended up conceding 3 goals (2 soft goals) anyway then what’s the point of the 3-5-2?

If the point of the 3-5-2 is to have doherty and Stevens in their best positions but they contribute little in those positions then again I’m wondering what’s the point of the 3-5-2?

Well Ireland were decent until the hour mark in fairness. Fitness seemed to be an issue. Plus Ireland basically have no depth in the squad.

Look at the subs Serbia brought on and how they changed the game.
    Mitrovic showed his class and got two goals. They had Jovic a fella who Real Madrid have loaned out to Frankfurt, a Bundesliga team.
    And Gudelj a fella who plays in La Liga with Sevilla (4th place in the league)

Looking at Ireland's subs - McClean, Brady, Long, Hendrick, Collins.
    Could you say they showed 'class'?

You might argue Long and Collins were involved in Ireland's second goal. But it was not because of 'class'. It was chasing, heart, and determination. Taken as given for any Irish side.

This Irish side is limited creatively, and at the very least a 3-5-2 could shore things up at least for a while in games. But without a decent bench and silly errors there is only so much a formation can do. 3-5-2 is the right formation for this side, but I don't expect it to work miracles.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1375418975711035401

Really excited to see how O Connor and Gilbert do.

Bazunu got beaten from a shot from the opposition half last year while playing for Rochdale.

Maybe travers is just a better goalie for now.

This Irish side is limited creatively, and at the very least a 3-5-2 could shore things up at least for a while in games. But without a decent bench and silly errors there is only so much a formation can do. 3-5-2 is the right formation for this side, but I don't expect it to work miracles.

It didn’t really shore anything up. We conceded 3 goals for only the third or fourth time in the past 10 years in competitive fixtures.

Wing backs in a 3-5-2 have to provide a meaningful attacking threat or it’s a pointless endeavor.

If we go with wingbacks I would choose Brady and Coleman over Stevens and Doherty. Stevens to come off the bench around 60-70 mins.

The back 3 should be made up of John Egan plus another two from Dara O’Shea, Clarke, Doherty, Duffy and maybe Nathan Collins.

Aaron Connolly ruled out of the remaining two games.

1-0 Wales, we've looked pretty terrible so far, lots of hoofball into the wind.

It didn’t really shore anything up. We conceded 3 goals for only the third or fourth time in the past 10 years in competitive fixtures.

Wing backs in a 3-5-2 have to provide a meaningful attacking threat or it’s a pointless endeavor.

If we go with wingbacks I would choose Brady and Coleman over Stevens and Doherty. Stevens to come off the bench around 60-70 mins.

The back 3 should be made up of John Egan plus another two from Dara O’Shea, Clarke, Doherty, Duffy and maybe Nathan Collins.

It did for 60 mins or so I would argue. It was when the lack of quality on the bench that changed things, and Travers error. After that the air went out of it.

You can't blame the formation for that. I would agree with your point on trying Brady as wingback. Does Coleman have the legs to play wingback anymore though? I have not seen many Coleman tearing down the wing jobs he used to do frequently for Everton.

Official from FAIreland. I hope it's nothing serious, lad has no luck with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

1-0 Wales, we've looked pretty terrible so far, lots of hoofball into the wind.

It’s a hard watch with that low main camera angle.

Nunu wrote: »
    It’s a hard watch with that low main camera angle.

It's unwatchable and unlistenable. Makes Siobhan Madigan doing commentary bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Head didn't look right the last night and not just that dodgy haircut.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm not sure I can see the link between Coleman playing RCB and the concession of three goals the other night??

If anything he prevented another 2/3.

I'm not sure I can see the link between Coleman playing RCB and the concession of three goals the other night??

Which would show that Ireland need that extra defender at the back as well.
    That is my opinion anyway.

It's why Tadic started drifting in centrally as Coleman had cut out diagonal through balls he was playing for their striker. Gavin Cooney had a good thread up on twitter highlighting his influence in that central area.

• Advertisement

I’m not making that link.

On Wednesday we played 3-5-2.

We conceded 3 goals.

Our wing backs did very little. Wing backs have to make a big contribution for the formation to be of any use.

Therefore replacing the wing backs would seem something to be considered.

It's unwatchable and unlistenable. Makes Siobhan Madigan doing commentary bearable.
    It's really poor from us so far. The ball keeps going back to the defenders who end up having to go long. Connell as the deep lying midfielder should be looking to pick up the ball more. Wales are starting to sit back a bit now, so hopefully we can get into this.

I’m not making that link.

On Wednesday we played 3-5-2.

We conceded 3 goals.

Our wing backs did very little. Wing backs have to make a big contribution for the formation to be of any use.

Therefore replacing the wing backs would seem something to be considered.

Because Serbia were playing 3-4-3 which prevents wing backs from being that attacking because you're covering their wing back and wide forward.

Because Serbia were playing 3-4-3 which prevents wing backs from being that attacking because you're covering their wing back and wide forward.

So how does a 3-5-2 attack against a 3-4-3?

We have to cover their wing back but they don’t have to cover ours?

This is such a black and white way of looking at things. Serbia had 4 shots on target in the game (off 61% possession) and scored 3 of those. 2 of them either of Randolph or Kelleher likely save, so you can’t just say the defence was ****e because they conceded 3 goals. The defence looked fine for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I think the thrust of the point was well-made and understood, just the bit at the end referencing Dundalk seemed unnecessary.

How so?

Welsh commentator with Wales at 1-0 up.

"I can't see Ireland scoring two goals.

Five minutes later, 2-1 Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

21s are now 2-1 up on Wales after scoring two in the space of two minutes. Second goal was a freakish OG which was a bad back pass to keeper and went into the net, no replays so couldn't have it out exactly. I think Afolabi got the first. Hard to watch but they seem to be doing okay second half.

21s are now 2-1 up on Wales after scoring two in the space of two minutes. Second goal was a freakish OG which was a bad back pass to keeper and went into the net, no replays so couldn't have it out exactly. I think Afolabi got the first. Hard to watch but they seem to be doing okay second half.
    Afolabi got the first alright, great work from Noss to create it.

Should have been 3-1 there. Wales falling apart.

fullstop wrote: »
    This is such a black and white way of looking at things. Serbia had 4 shots on target in the game (off 61% possession) and scored 3 of those. 2 of them either of Randolph or Kelleher likely save, so you can’t just say the defence was ****e because they conceded 3 goals. The defence looked fine for the most part.

I just can’t understand how 3-5-2 is being agreed as a good solution when we conceded soft goals that came off defensive as well as goal keeping mistakes and where the wing backs provided no threat.

My main point, to get back to that, is that coleman should be a wing back not Doherty. And on the other side probably Brady would be likely better than Stevens.

We started poorly and really struggled with the initial high Welsh pressing game. Once they scored, they dropped of us a bit and that gave our players a bit more room to play. Connell has a nice left foot and a good range of passing, but he doesn't seem quite there physically. Noss looked our best player with ball at feet and it was no surprise to see him involved in the first goal. Once Afolabi started getting some service, he looked decent, probably should have had a third for us. Watson showed a few flashes of ability, but seems lightweight. Wright made a big difference when coming on, really strong, lots of running in space, Welsh couldn't deal with him.

We were a bit lucky to get the win, but it was a decent performance. I didn't see anyone who stood out in particular as someone we could promote to the senior team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

My main point, to get back to that, is that coleman should be a wing back not Doherty. And on the other side probably Brady would be likely better than Stevens.

How do you reckon Brady is better than Stevens? Stevens plays LWB every week while Brady is in and out of the Burnley team. Stevens has been one of our better players the past few years as well.

I just can’t understand how 3-5-2 is being agreed as a good solution when we conceded soft goals that came off defensive as well as goal keeping mistakes and where the wing backs provided no threat.

So we’ll move possibly our best defender and organiser out of the back 3 and move the fella who gets torn to shreds defensively most of the time he plays right back in there and hope for the best? Seems logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

The only problem i had with the 352 was the Serbs had a free man on the wings for their attacks. Imo the center mids need to drift out to cover the wide midfielder as the wbs are covering the wingers. Other than that i thought it worked well enough.

I would expect the issue is a lack of familiarity with the system though tbf.

How do you reckon Brady is better than Stevens? Stevens plays LWB every week while Brady is in and out of the Burnley team. Stevens has been one of our better players the past few years as well.

I could be wrong. My main reasons is that Brady is a good crosser from non-deep positions and is comfortable in possession of the football. A wing back often finds the ball coming back to them from layoffs and Brady is good at putting in first time crosses when in space.

Stevens gets stuck in but he’s kind of Stephen Ward the 2nd. Grand but gives you little in terms of making the difference.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement