Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Brady is seen through tinted glasses of yesteryear.

His set pieces (which had been his trump card) have been well below par for a couple of years now. Not nearly consistent enough. Unfortunately for Brady he is part of a crop of players being ushered out now.

Seems to think his sh!t don't stink too. In matches when he's come on as a sub, he's pulled rank (?) on both Hourihane and Jack Byrne to take (more often than not) sub par set pieces. Even though both those players are more technically gifted from dead ball scenario. Head on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

fullstop wrote: »
    So we’ll move possibly our best defender and organiser out of the back 3 and move the fella who gets torn to shreds defensively most of the time he plays right back in there and hope for the best? Seems logical.

At his best Coleman was our best attacker as well as our best defender. Those days may be gone but Doherty was virtually a nothing against Serbia. There’s no point playing wing backs if you get almost nothing offensively from them.

There seems to be an under appreciation of what Coleman brings attacking wise.

At the start of the season for Everton, Coleman played right back in a system at Everton where the midfield was Allan, Doucoure, James and Andre Gomes. That is a very narrow midfield and meant Ancelotti trusted Coleman and Digne to provide an awful lot of the attacking and defensive width. Coleman’s body ultimately is no longer able to cope with those demands over a league season but tying Coleman to a back 3 is a complete under utilization of his attacking gifts.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Vinny Perth on Off The Ball was excellent about the game yesterday. Would recommend people listen back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

At his best Coleman was our best attacker as well as our best defender. Those days may be gone but Doherty was virtually a nothing against Serbia. There’s no point playing wing backs if you get almost nothing offensively from them.

At the start of the season for Everton, Coleman played right back in a system at Everton where the midfield was Allan, Doucoure, James and Andre Gomes. That is a very narrow midfield and meant Ancelotti trusted Coleman and Digne to provide an awful lot of the attacking and defensive width. Coleman’s body ultimately is no longer able to cope with those demands over a league season but tying Coleman to a back 3 is a complete under utilization of his attacking gifts.

I think Coleman is really good going forward, and ideally it would be great to play him RWB and have Doherty as backup given his current form, but with the options available Coleman is needed to marshall the back 3 tomorrow.

I agree Doherty contributed zilch on Wednesday, but he was penned in for most of the game. They should be able to play on the front foot tomorrow, so let’s see how he does in his preferred position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

We started poorly and really struggled with the initial high Welsh pressing game. Once they scored, they dropped of us a bit and that gave our players a bit more room to play. Connell has a nice left foot and a good range of passing, but he doesn't seem quite there physically. Noss looked our best player with ball at feet and it was no surprise to see him involved in the first goal. Once Afolabi started getting some service, he looked decent, probably should have had a third for us. Watson showed a few flashes of ability, but seems lightweight. Wright made a big difference when coming on, really strong, lots of running in space, Welsh couldn't deal with him.

We were a bit lucky to get the win, but it was a decent performance. I didn't see anyone who stood out in particular as someone we could promote to the senior team though.

I don't know about that, and would like to say maybe not having played competitively for awhile might have left him a bit rusty, because one thing that was always commented on before he left Bolton was his physicality and how he wasn't afraid to get stuck into people or shy away from a tackle. Think even Mick had similar comments from the training camp he was called into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I think Coleman is really good going forward, and ideally it would be great to play him RWB and have Doherty as backup given his current form, but with the options available Coleman is needed to marshall the back 3 tomorrow.

I agree Doherty contributed zilch on Wednesday, but he was penned in for most of the game. They should be able to play on the front foot tomorrow, so let’s see how he does in his preferred position.

The problem with that is that Serbia away is gone now and if he plays well at home to Luxembourg does it tell us if he can do it at home to Serbia, or away/home to Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Aaron Connolly ruled out of the remaining two games.

Saves Kenny from having to drop him if nothing else. Start Collins up with Robinson and spring Long off the bench if additional energy is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Saves Kenny from having to drop him if nothing else. Start Collins up with Robinson and spring Long off the bench if additional energy is needed.

If fairness I really think Connolly is better when played as a wide player. I see him more as a McGeady type player rather then a striker. I think Collins up front will be a better option for us tomorrow I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The problem with that is that Serbia away is gone now and if he plays well at home to Luxembourg does it tell us if he can do it at home to Serbia, or away/home to Portugal.

They still need to win tomorrow. You can’t just remove your best defender leaving Clark and a novice in there with Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never seen a man as young as 21 be united so often.

Seems the FAI have deleted the Connolly tweet and Kenny mentions that he could be fit for tomorrow's game and if not Parrott will replace him in the squad. Sounds like 3-5-2 could be used again if Parrott is replacing Connolly and not Curtis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/willocallaghan/status/1375475423778332674?s=20
    Will O'Callaghan
    @willocallaghan
    Stephen Kenny says Aaron Connolly was playing through the pain in Belgrade, only back from rib and hamstring issues and then suffered an impact to his foot. Says Connolly loves playing for his country and wanted to make an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Brighton will be delighted to hear that!

Connolly has just put up a post on Instagram supposedly from Brighton.. now maybe it's a video from the past, otherwise this is all very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Connolly has just put up a post on Instagram supposedly from Brighton.. now maybe it's a video from the past, otherwise this is all very weird.

Don't see it, must have taken it down again.

• Advertisement

Don't see it, must have taken it down again.
    Still there. It's a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I have to admit, I was in the camp that thought Coleman was going to struggle looking at his form for a while after that injury, but he does seem to be back at playing at a good level now. He doesn't need to bomb up and down the touchline all day or play as a winger when we have the ball. If he can pass the ball intelligently (which he does), and put in good crosses when he can get forward, he could be plenty effective at fullback if we revert to a 4, or even at wing back in a 5 if necessary.

As for Doherty, I never watched him closely at Wolves, so I don't know how he was effective for them. But for us, his positioning and decision making is letting him down. And I don't just mean defensively, when we have the ball he rarely seems to make the right run off the ball and then stands around if it doesn't get to him rather than try to move into a better position. And the couple of times he did get into a good area he picked the wrong option in terms of the pass or cross.

Maybe it's a confidence thing from having a poor season at Spurs trying to play in a back 4 which doesn't suit, idk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

noodler wrote: »
    Never seen a man as young as 21 be united so often.

I presume this is an autocorrect from 'injured'?

Happens to a lot of young speedsters unfortunately, I think since they're putting a lot of pressure on their limbs - both accelerating and decelerating, and with quick turns - at a time when they're still physically developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

Lads, I was just looking at the fixtures list and we have 3 group games in the space of a week in Sept. Have we even the squad for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sugarman wrote: »
    Obafemi has been worse for it.

Yeah, same sort of problem alright, pure powerful speed mixed with young legs and a developing body.

Thought Obafemi had perhaps already come out the other side of it - had an awful run of hamstring injuries a few years ago (18/19), was constantly injured, but was fit and available and performing well most of last season. But that new long term muscle injury (which i've never been able to find more specific information on - but i'm guessing hamstring again) this year might knock him back again. Hopefully the surgery properly clears it up anyway.

A good loan move for him next season, something similar to the one he was about to sign with Swansea before the injury, and he'll be a great option again. Especially with us starting to play 2 up - he becomes a leading option in that instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Still there. It's a story.
    Yeah, looks as if he didn't train and spent today traveling back to brighton.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. A few goals would do the confidence the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I think people aren’t giving Alan Browne enough credit for his goal. Looking back here, the build up playing out from our own half, the pass to Doherty, the interception and the pass to Stevens, the timing of his run into the box and the fantastic header.

It was simply outrageous.

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status/1374859229195071489?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The number of newspaper articles this morning on the game tonight is pretty embarrassing.

You'd think we were playing Spain in a pivotal game.

Tells you all you need to know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The number of newspaper articles this morning on the game tonight is pretty embarrassing.

Tells you how little other sport is taking place really!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is the single highlight of my week anyway :pac:

I am feeling confident about tonight which has been a very bad sign historically. We have to win. This is the most important game (bar Slovakia) of the SK era. If we don't win I don't know where to go from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Plenty to discuss other than the big match against Luxembourg surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I am feeling confident about tonight which has been a very bad sign historically. We have to win. This is the most important game (bar Slovakia) of the SK era. If we don't win I don't know where to go from here.

Yeah I would agree, feeling confident that we will win but anything less than a win and it becomes hard to defend Kenny. A win though and we can have a bit of positivity for the next 5 months before the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Plenty to discuss other than the big match against Luxembourg surely.

Its a huge game for Kenny. Understandable their is lots of coverage.

What are you ****ing on about now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If we don't win, the manager has to get the chop.

This is a results-based game. It's about qualifying for things and if we can't beat one of the worst teams in the world, we aren't going to qualify and he has to get the axe.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »

This is a results-based game. It's about qualifying for things and if we can't beat one of the worst teams in the world, we aren't going to qualify and he has to get the axe.

Seriously though who replaces him, they can't afford to even get rid of Keane and fans are talking about how a manager will get sacked early from his contract.

People need to park this he has to go if X, Y or Z happens. He's going nowhere until his contract runs out. The FAI haven't a pot to piss in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Is Troy Parrot in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

Kenny was appointed as a long term manager and won’t be sacked if we don’t get the 3 points tonight.

Football is not only a results business, it’s also about building a squad that can compete. That can take time.

Literally any other half decent country could do what Ireland have done over the last 10 years. Keep it tight, hoof it long. Get a few draws and get a playoff maybe. They choose to not do that however, but to look to improve the football they play. We should be doing the same, even if it means we’re out of contention a game or 2 beforehand.

Kenny said he'll be in the match day squad if Connolly was unavailable, and Connolly is in Brighton going by his Instagram so you'll assume that Parrott will be in the 23 man squad tonight.

Also points to 3-5-2 being used again if we're replacing him with a CF rather than Ronan Curtis who'd be a winger and can play up front like Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Does anyone know who assisted Afalobi's goal against Wales in the u21 game yesterday?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

AhhHere wrote: »
    Does anyone know who assisted Afalobi's goal against Wales in the u21 game yesterday?

Conor Noss afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The fella who wanted €4m to resign from Sheffield Utd and the FAI haven’t a pot to piss in. Massively realistic :rolleyes:

I love these flavour of the month English managers people start touting to take over the Irish team, really refreshing and new.

I'd love Paul Jewell in the job tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"It's about qualifying for things"

We more often than not don't qualify for things. I'm not sure if you've been following the team in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

He'll have to beat Terry Venables to get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

What?!

I quite liked Jewell when he was managing Bradford 20 plus years ago!

We have a quality progressive manager who I hope gets at least two full qualification campaigns and then we can reassess and see where we are.

There's so much inferiority and snobbery when it comes to Stephen Kenny. He's Irish, wasn't a top class footballer and hasn't managed in the Premier League, therefore he's clueless and in way over his head.

I didn't see or hear Brian Kerr getting stuck into him after the last game, but if he did, I'd be disappointed as it's the same attitudes that ensured he didn't get a fair run of it either.

They both got the job on the back of remarkable achievements with very limited resources. I wanted Kerr to have more time than he got, but I've even more confidence in Stephen Kenny transforming Irish football and giving us a team to be proud of.

He'll certainly be bringing me back to the Aviva after giving up on Trapp ball long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Anyone know what Kerr said the other night? Appreciate his take on most things so I'd be surprised if he had major issues with how Ireland played on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I take it the French disregarded your expert advice prior to them going on to win the World Cup?

WzASUuY.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

sterz wrote: »
    Anyone know what Kerr said the other night? Appreciate his take on most things so I'd be surprised if he had major issues with how Ireland played on Wednesday night.

Love Brian Kerr but I couldn't disagree more with his take that the likes of Brady, Duffy and Hendrick should have played. A style like Kenny's desperately needs a player in the mould of Cullen in midfield.
    The defeat leaves Ireland with an uphill battle to qualify for Qatar 2022 and Kerr believes Kenny was a little too ambitious in his team selection, as he chose the relatively untested Josh Cullen alongside Jayson Molumby and Dara O'Shea, in a team that also included rookie keeper Mark Travers.
    Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady and Shane Duffy were among those left on the bench and Kerr believes that may have been a mistake.

"I though the balance of the team, playing the two young boys in the middle of the pitch and O'Shea at the back, was a lot of change to absorb very quickly tactically for the players and in the end they were found out," Kerr told Virgin Media Sport.

"Also playing Aaron Connolly on the back of not having played recently with a rib injury, I felt he wasn't running well early in the match."

Overall, we all all a bit frustrated an annoyed that we lost our first game and the result of the first match is everything. It doesn't mean you can't get out of the group, you have 21 points to play for, but this defeat is massive."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

sterz wrote: »

I hope I'm not misremembering.

Something to the effect that Irish football makes it's money from commercial revenue, they need to be winning matches, getting bums on seats at the Aviva, qualifying.

Can't be focused on style of play so they can qualify for 2026. Criticised Kenny for picking players who hadn't been playing that much for their club. Mentioned Molumby doing ok, looking tired when he came off.

Said might not have great players but the manager picks the players and responsibility rests with him. Wasn't impressed with Connolly's performance.

Said something to the effect that you've got to look at the situation, a point at Serbia away would be good result and there's nothing wrong with sitting back in a game like that. You don't have to adopt the same mindset for every game. Previous managers with better players have sat back, it doesn't mean you have to lump it.

Seemed to think it was an ok performance but basically that it's about results and you can't keep go on losing and expect to be given more chances.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Love Brian Kerr but I couldn't disagree more with his take that the likes of Brady, Duffy and Hendrick should have played. A style like Kenny's desperately needs a player in the mould of Cullen in midfield.

It's a lose lose really. Pick the players that he did the other night and some people will say he picked an inexperienced team and should have played some of the more experienced players for trip away to Serbia. Pick the experienced players and still lose, and you'll be criticised for picking certain "tried and trusted" players that have been underwhelming for Ireland for some time.

Hendrick being the perfect example when Jason Knight would have been a better option to bring on, but had Kenny brought Knight on ahead of Hendrick he'd be accused by some of being too adventurous in his selection of inexperienced players. Even though Hendrick was his usual underwhelming self, and even Newcastle now are probably regretting giving him that four year contract.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I hope I'm not misremembering.

Something to the effect that Irish football makes it's money from commercial revenue, they need to be winning matches, getting bums on seats at the Aviva, qualifying.

Can't be focused on style of play so they can qualify for 2026. Criticised Kenny for picking players who hadn't been playing that much for their club. Mentioned Molumby doing ok, looking tired when he came off.

Said might not have great players but the manager picks the players and responsibility rests with him. Wasn't impressed with Connolly's performance.

Said something to the effect that you've got to look at the situation, a point at Serbia away would be good result and there's nothing wrong with sitting back in a game like that. You don't have to adopt the same mindset for every game. Previous managers with better players have sat back, it doesn't mean you have to lump it.

Seemed to think it was an ok performance but basically that it's about results and you can't keep go on losing and expect to be given more chances.

We did plenty of sitting back against Serbia tbf.

Can argue it was enforced on us but it wasn't exactly a swashbuckling performance.

We did actually build play when we could though.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Conor Noss afaik

Cheers. Thought he did very well for jt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Hopefully Shane Duffy gets the nod to play tonight. It’s hard to see goal threat from any other source in this team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement