Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hendrick being the perfect example when Jason Knight would have been a better option to bring on, but had Kenny brought Knight on ahead of Hendrick he'd be accused by some of being too adventurous in his selection of inexperienced players. Even though Hendrick was his usual underwhelming self, and even Newcastle now are probably regretting giving him that four year contract.

Does anyone know what happened Jeff Hendrick?
    Is it a combination of things?
    Is it just that he is past his peak or what? He is 29 now.
    60 caps for Ireland and how many stand out?

He looked like the next best thing back in the 2016 Euros.

A number of Irish managers seemed to have tried in different positions since none of which really clicked. No one seems to know what to do with him, now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

A number of Irish managers seemed to have tried in different positions since none of which really clicked. No one seems to know what to do with him, now.

I would start him in there with Cullen and Browne. I feel he would have a point to prove tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Such a frustrating player like you said looked the business in 2016 and has just gone backwards ever since then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

showpony1 wrote: »
    Hopefully Shane Duffy gets the nod to play tonight. It’s hard to see goal threat from any other source in this team.

Yeah how many games is it since they scored at this stage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would start him in there with Cullen and Browne. I feel he would have a point to prove tonight.

He has had a point to prove for years but has never gotten around to proving that point. He offers nothing and actually made the team noticeably worse when he came on against the Serbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He got his good contract from Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hopefully Shane Duffy gets the nod to play tonight. It’s hard to see goal threat from any other source in this team.

We scored two goals way against a better team on Wednesday, what are you on about. Hes more likely to cost us a goal than score one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"It's about qualifying for things"

We more often than not don't qualify for things. I'm not sure if you've been following the team in recent times.

Okay so, if it's not about qualifying................what exactly is the point?

Your remit as a manager of a 3rd seed team is to qualify. If you don't, then you have failed. It really is that simple. People can talk about "projects" and "footballing philosophy" all they want but if you go seven games without scoring a goal......you deserve the pressure.

If you fail to beat a team ranked outside the top 100, you deserve even more. I'm obviously hoping we win and play well tonight but if we don't, the same people will be on here making excuses. The buck stops with the manager. Not beating Luxembourg would mean we realistically can't qualify and he should be sacked.

sterz wrote: »
    I take it the French disregarded your expert advice prior to them going on to win the World Cup?

The French have a team filled with stars capable of beating anyone. So the difference here, obviously, is that them failing to win in a game like that against a minnow is a terrible night at the office. But it's not the end of their campaign. For us, it's terminal because we arent going to go and smash Serbia and Portugal.

France could. We likely cannot. That's the difference. I mean, you aren't stupid. You know this already. I shouldn't have to explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What?!

I quite liked Jewell when he was managing Bradford 20 plus years ago!

We have a quality progressive manager who I hope gets at least two full qualification campaigns and then we can reassess and see where we are.

There's so much inferiority and snobbery when it comes to Stephen Kenny. He's Irish, wasn't a top class footballer and hasn't managed in the Premier League, therefore he's clueless and in way over his head.

I didn't see or hear Brian Kerr getting stuck into him after the last game, but if he did, I'd be disappointed as it's the same attitudes that ensured he didn't get a fair run of it either.

They both got the job on the back of remarkable achievements with very limited resources. I wanted Kerr to have more time than he got, but I've even more confidence in Stephen Kenny transforming Irish football and giving us a team to be proud of.

He'll certainly be bringing me back to the Aviva after giving up on Trapp ball long ago.

Jesus Christ. Obvious joke wasn't obvious enough for some.

bb8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kirby wrote: »
    Not beating Luxembourg would mean we realistically can't qualify and he should be sacked.

Qualify?

Also, who would you have replace him?

Qualify?

Also, who would you have replace him?

Well for starters, I wouldn't have hired Mick McCarthy only to essentially cut his legs out from under him by announcing HIS successor at the same bloody time. It was a clown fiesta. And I certainly would have let him finish what he started and take the playoff's.

Regardless, the argument that we are broke and can't get anyone "better" isn't a good one. You don't keep somebody who has failed at their job on because you are afraid to try somebody else.

And that's what its about. If we qualify then he has done a great job, should be applauded and get an extension. If we don't, and didn't come close, then he should go.

People are giving him leeway, somewhat understandably, because of COVID and the fact that he is trying to change the way we play. But we need to see the results of that on the pitch. Losing is a problem. Losing while leaking goals and not scoring is a worse one.

Smaller countries than ours with less money have qualified for tournaments. I won't accept "little ole Ireland" syndrome anymore and neither should anyone else. If we start performing I'll be the first in line to congratulate the manager. But we shouldn't make excuses if we dont perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Well for starters, I wouldn't have hired Mick McCarthy only to essentially cut his legs out from under him by announcing HIS successor at the same bloody time.

So how would you have handled it?

Leave Kenny off the ticket for the under 21s and not cede to his demand to have the senior job in 2 years?

Appoint Kenny as under 21 with the understanding he would be top man in 2 years but keep it a secret and pray no one leaks the secret deal? How do you think that would have played out?

Either you trust the manager or you don't.

If they bought into what Kenny was promising, then he should have been given the job outright. Mick shouldn't have been part of the equation.

But they didn't do that so obviously, they had their doubts because they did this bizarre placeholder situation. Telling a manager he has a 2 year shelf life regardless of how well he does is ridiculous and I'm amazed he agreed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If they bought into what Kenny was promising, then he should have been given the job outright. Mick shouldn't have been part of the equation.

But they didn't do that so obviously, they had their doubts because they did this bizarre placeholder situation. Telling a manager he has a 2 year shelf life regardless of how well he does is ridiculous and I'm amazed he agreed to it.

Well he did agree to it and it went fine apart from the stupid bonuses he reportedly got. We got some decent results. Couldn’t score more than one which is likely to still be a problem for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe you should examine what has happened since Kenny joined the International set-up,
    He has the U.21’s playing a lovely brand of football and the U.16 and U.18’s etc playing the same way. People were praising and enjoying watching them. The hoofing had stopped.
    Now roll on to Kenny’s stint as Senior manager. He has the players coming through playing the exact same way. It’s the players who were there all along who are struggling imo. But you and some others want Kenny to abandon his footballing philosophy and go back to the way we were ie playing rubbish and still losing???
    You expect the young players to also abandon what has been relatively successful for them and try the hoofball that they are not used to???

Let Kenny do his job. The players like playing football his way and anyone who knows anything about football will get behind the manager because it’s good to watch and actually might suit us better in the long run.
    It’s a good job Manchester United had faith in Alex Ferguson when he took over because lads, like some of the ones who post on here, would have had him sacked after 10 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

The French have a team filled with stars capable of beating anyone. So the difference here, obviously, is that them failing to win in a game like that against a minnow is a terrible night at the office. But it's not the end of their campaign. For us, it's terminal because we arent going to go and smash Serbia and Portugal.

France could. We likely cannot. That's the difference. I mean, you aren't stupid. You know this already. I shouldn't have to explain it.

It wasn't the end of their campaign. Just like not winning tonight is not the end of Ireland's. Obviously it will make things very difficult but you aren't stupid, you know that Ireland could still do it.

And the incredible thing is Ireland don't have to go and smash Serbia and Portugal. A 1-0 win is just fine. But you know this already. I shouldn't have to explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Harness scored for Portsmouth.

O'Brien scored for Sunderland, naturally McGeady provided the assist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Feels like he played his way into getting a contract at a PL club, called up to the international side and then got complacent. Didn't have to stand out anymore as reached his 'pinnacle'.

60 caps and the only thing I remember is the goal against Gibraltar. Being in the side weakens it IMO. Delighted to see he wasn't starting last week and he made the team weaker when he came on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

60 caps and the only thing I remember is the goal against Gibraltar. Being in the side weakens it IMO. Delighted to see he wasn't starting last week and he made the team weaker when he came on.

Ah be fair. I don't rate him and think he offers nothing to the team but he was excellent in Euro 2016

Harness scored for Portsmouth.

If 3-5-2 is the preferred formation going forward you wonder could these wingers like Harness play as strikers for us. Swansea have done it this season with both Ayew and Lowe. Callum Robinson isn't really a striker but he can play there, similar is Anthony Scully and Ronan Curtis can play upfront and out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ah be fair. I don't rate him and think he offers nothing to the team but he was excellent in Euro 2016

I agree and should have stated. This would add into the complacency IMO, great tournament, got the applause rightfully and never looked to replicate it.

I agree and should have stated. This would add into the complacency IMO, great tournament, got the applause rightfully and never looked to replicate it.

Burnley were planning on signing him regardless of Euro 16, but his performance at Euro 16 meant he got a better contract than what they probably would have offered him as interest grew from other clubs after the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really thought Hendrik would have turned into a much better player, Trappatoni really liked him so he must have seen something. Was good in the euros but hasn't kicked on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

McDonnell seems to think we will be reverting back to 4-3-3 tonight.

My guess at the team if that is the case.

Travers
    Coleman Clark O'Shea Stevens
    Cullen Browne Knight
    Doherty Long Robinson

Perhaps he might switch out Doherty for Horgan or McClean.

McDonnell seems to think we will be reverting back to 4-3-3 tonight.

My guess at the team if that is the case.

Travers
    Coleman Clark O'Shea Stevens
    Cullen Browne Knight
    Doherty Long Robinson

Perhaps he might switch out Doherty for Horgan or McClean.

If it's 4-3-3 then Doherty shouldn't be starting in that RW position, but hopefully it's the same formation as Wednesday since we'll more than likely being using again in September against Portugal and Serbia.

Is the team out yet?
    With the tweet above in mind are we looking at the same set up as last game with Collins replacing Connolly and Knight in for Molumby?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is the team out yet?
    With the tweet above in mind are we looking at the same set up as last game with Collins replacing Connolly and Knight in for Molumby?

Probably won't release the team for another 30-45 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Probably won't release the team for another 30-45 mins.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1375875264853467136?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

For tomorrow, assuming he sticks with the same formation I'd like to see:

Bazunu

Clark
    O'Shea
    Coleman

Stevens
    Cullen
    Knight
    Browne
    Doherty

Robinson
    Collins

Although I've a feeling he may stick with Travers so as not to sent his confidence.

We really need a win. A performance and a win would be great. But a win of any kind is needed to placate the noise around the manager.

I'm going to take a stab at a 2-0 win.

Bump

Bump

Let's hope your prediction of the score is as spot on as your team predictions.

beers check
    Jersey check
    kids occupied elsewhere check
    COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bump

Well at least you’re happy :D

Will be interesting to see how Knight and Bazunu get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Well for starters, I wouldn't have hired Mick McCarthy only to essentially cut his legs out from under him by announcing HIS successor at the same bloody time. It was a clown fiesta. And I certainly would have let him finish what he started and take the playoff's.

Regardless, the argument that we are broke and can't get anyone "better" isn't a good one. You don't keep somebody who has failed at their job on because you are afraid to try somebody else.

And that's what its about. If we qualify then he has done a great job, should be applauded and get an extension. If we don't, and didn't come close, then he should go.

People are giving him leeway, somewhat understandably, because of COVID and the fact that he is trying to change the way we play. But we need to see the results of that on the pitch. Losing is a problem. Losing while leaking goals and not scoring is a worse one.

Smaller countries than ours with less money have qualified for tournaments. I won't accept "little ole Ireland" syndrome anymore and neither should anyone else. If we start performing I'll be the first in line to congratulate the manager. But we shouldn't make excuses if we dont perform.

Right your first paragraph shows you dont follow the irish team that closely. Mick had nothing to do with the playoff, it was Martin O'Neil who got the team there by default. We only got a playoff spot because Wales and Denmark qualified automatically. So to throw it back at you, should the FAI have brought back MON to manage the playoff?

Mick was brought in to qualify the team for the Euros, that is what the FAI(JD) said when he was hired. Mick failed and finished 3rd. SK was not told he had to qualify the team for tournaments. The difference betweem Mick and SK will be that SK finishes 3rd and the football improves he will be kept on as there will have been progress.

Smaller countries than us have played football and invested in their football structures and seen the benefits. We are only starting now. Stop with your nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Sack him. Sack him immediately. Don’t drag it out. Nothing against Stephen and he tried but it’s not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Should be sacked, no ifs or buts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No coming back from this.

Some of the posts in here today have aged like milk. I don't need to quote them. You know who you are.

I'm sure the same posters will make excuses for their man but the writing is on the wall. Take your League of Ireland foam finger off and see this for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

tenor-2pn.gif

We looked no better then them, deserved nothing from it TBH.

Rock bottom!!

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Sack him. Sack him immediately. Don’t drag it out. Nothing against Stephen and he tried but it’s not working

In all honesty though, who in gods name could make a go of them?? Pep Guardiola could do nothing with that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

tenor-2pn.gif

Some Ireland fan you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Can get ourselves up to 4th before the qualifiers end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In all honesty though, who in gods name could make a go of them?? Pep Guardiola could do nothing with that lot.

Not having that for tonight to be honest. Our record at home against 4th and 5th seeds is exemplary over the last 12 years (i.e. during the period our playing pool is declining).

That was a disgraceful performance against lessor opposition. We allowed them to be nice and tidy and play a structured game. We did nothing to leverage our strengths and Kenny was completely unable to stem the worsening flow of the game. Slow, aimless and soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

P45 time Bossman Steo

Maybe you should examine what has happened since Kenny joined the International set-up,
    He has the U.21’s playing a lovely brand of football and the U.16 and U.18’s etc playing the same way. People were praising and enjoying watching them. The hoofing had stopped.
    Now roll on to Kenny’s stint as Senior manager. He has the players coming through playing the exact same way. It’s the players who were there all along who are struggling imo. But you and some others want Kenny to abandon his footballing philosophy and go back to the way we were ie playing rubbish and still losing???
    You expect the young players to also abandon what has been relatively successful for them and try the hoofball that they are not used to???

Let Kenny do his job. The players like playing football his way and anyone who knows anything about football will get behind the manager because it’s good to watch and actually might suit us better in the long run.
    It’s a good job Manchester United had faith in Alex Ferguson when he took over because lads, like some of the ones who post on here, would have had him sacked after 10 games.

Nail on head. Sacking Kenny would solve nothing. We'd be only back to square one trying to hire a manager for a job that no one wants.

I cant see how any different manager could improve us and at least we are trying to play it on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Sacking Kenny won't make much difference, the player pool is awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement