Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not having that for tonight to be honest. Our record at home against 4th and 5th seeds is exemplary over the last 12 years (i.e. during the period our playing pool is declining).

That was a disgraceful performance against lessor opposition. We allowed them to be nice and tidy and play a structured game. We did nothing to leverage our strengths and Kenny was completely unable to stem the worsening flow of the game. Slow, aimless and soft.

Im defending anyone for tonight, but who honestly can we hire????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think he should walk, and I say that as someone who likes him.

He is on a hiding to nothing. The job will ruin him if it continues like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Im defending anyone for tonight, but who honestly can we hire????

You have to get rid of him first.
    You go into the next game with the supporting staff. But he’s quite obviously completely out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

It’s the hope that’d kill ya

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Sack him. Sack him immediately. Don’t drag it out. Nothing against Stephen and he tried but it’s not working
    Should be sacked, no ifs or buts.

To be honest, I don't see who would be willing to take the job firstly, or who could improve us. For me, the FAI's decades of negligence has bubbled to the surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think he should walk, and I say that as someone who likes him.

He is on a hiding to nothing. The job will ruin him if it continues like this.

It wont really though. He'll get his job back at a League of Ireland club no problem. His reputation isn't going to be damaged no matter how bad he does.

You have to get rid of him first.
    You go into the next game with the supporting staff. But he’s quite obviously completely out of his depth.

So we sack Kenny.....who do we go for?????

And by the way, who gives a **** about ‘playing the ball on the ground’. No tempo, no intensity, no purpose, no backbone, no edge. That’s what matters.

And by the way, who gives a **** about ‘playing the ball on the ground’. No tempo, no intensity, no purpose, no backbone, no edge. That’s what matters.

Who do we go for??

Doesn’t matter. That process will play out in time. But you don’t pay and have a figurehead who is so off the necessary standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He’s done. We have to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pjohnson wrote: »
    It wont really though. He'll get his job back at a League of Ireland club no problem. His reputation isn't going to be damaged no matter how bad he does.

But as an international manager , you'd think your next job would be at a higher level than the loi.

Walking into a loi job wouldnt be something to celebrate on his cv

Doesn’t matter. That process will play out in time. But you don’t pay and have a figurehead who is so off the necessary standards.

Bull. You don't sack a manager unless you have a plan. No manager worth their salt will take this job. Mick McCarthy is laughing he got out of there.

But as an international manager , you'd think your next job would be at a higher level than the loi.

He’s not getting any better job after this. He’s performing every inch as the failed Scottish Premier League manager he has been in the past.

He should try and cling onto this as long as he can, as it is the peak of his career quite obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Annabella1

FAI don’t have a penny to hire anyone

He’s done. We have to sack him.

Can one single poster on this thread actually answer me, who do we go for though??? It only makes sense to sack a manager if we have a plan. No one has once been able to explain to me as to what we do after we sack Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Who do we go for??

I hear Steve Staunton's available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland at the moment reminds me of that time on the Simpsons where Bart decided to try and be a really good student because Lisa was becoming a bad one. Cut to Bart sitting attentively in class, raising his hand for every question, before Mrs Krabappel tells him to put his hand down because he hasn't given one right answer all day.

Point being you can have good intentions but if the skillset isn't there, you're still going to fail.

I'm sure Stephen Kenny works hard in his role, and I wish him every success in his professional life, but it doesn't seem to be happening for him as Ireland manager.

His CV means this was likely always his highest level. Given his previous failure in Scotland he couldn't even try eyeing up the Celtic job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He is a class act.

• Advertisement

I hear Steve Staunton's available...

By comparison, Staunton actually had some positive results. He had some howlers as well, but at least the team could beat Slovakia at home.

briany wrote: »
    Ireland at the moment reminds me of that time on the Simpsons where Bart decided to try and be a really good student because Lisa was becoming a bad one. Cut to Bart sitting attentively in class, raising his hand for every question, before Mrs Krabappel tells him to put his hand down because he hasn't given one right answer all day.

Point being you can have good intentions but if the skillset isn't there, you're still going to fail.

I'm sure Stephen Kenny works hard in his role, and I wish him every success in his professional life, but it doesn't seem to be happening for him as Ireland manager.

Stephen Kenny has been landed with a squad of Bart Simpsons

That episode always gets me in the feels. (I think its the same one where he tries really hard and still fails but when Krabappel realises he actually tried she passes him).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Bull. You don't sack a manager unless you have a plan. No manager worth their salt will take this job. Mick McCarthy is laughing he got out of there.

So just leave him there then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

A below average squad has homer simpson as their manager would be a better Springfield analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I don’t know lads, I just don’t know.

World Cup is gone now, so what good is sacking him?

This is embarrassing don’t get me wrong, but there’s glimmers of what he is trying to build. We have a decent young crop, but our senior players are letting us down badly. Brady, Clark, McClean, Hendrick, awful.

I’d give him the rest of the campaign to blood the rest of the kids he has helped develop. What’s the alternative, Neil f*cking Lennon?

That episode always gets me in the feels. (I think its the same one where he tries really hard and still fails but when Krabappel realises he actually tried she passes him).

No, it's the one where Lisa is told she can't make it as a jazz saxophonist, so she becomes disillusioned and starts misbehaving in school. Milhouse says to Bart, "Gee, Bart. Now that Lisa is a bad student, maybe you'll become a really good one?", or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Tough times for us all. Very poor at International football but at least were still No 1 at GAA and drinking. Wait no pubs are still closed and GAA not elite....

Not really, because Bart is a good guy at sports. Kenny has a team of Martin Princes and Ralph Wiggums (by professional footballing standards, anyway).

• Advertisement

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I don’t know lads, I just don’t know.

World Cup is gone now, so what good is sacking him?

This is embarrassing don’t get me wrong, but there’s glimmers of what he is trying to build. We have a decent young crop, but our senior players are letting us down badly. Brady, Clark, McClean, Hendrick, awful.

I’d give him the rest of the campaign to blood the rest of the kids he has helped develop. What’s the alternative, Neil f*cking Lennon?

This makes sense.

Go all out development.

No pressure of results.
    No fans
    No qualification issues.

Probably best option

No, it's the one where Lisa is told she can't make it as a jazz saxophonist, so she becomes disillusioned and starts misbehaving in school. Milhouse says to Bart, "Gee, Bart. Now that Lisa is a bad student, maybe you'll become a really good one?", or words to that effect.

Whoops my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Rte quiz..who is irish team manager ? 😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The result tonight is obviously disappointing but the squad needs to be kept in mind.

I doubt even Shankly would make a go at this Irish squad. There was a time when we had players at United, Liverpool etc in our team. Look at what is available now.

It is too easy to blame Kenny.

But that won't stop it happening.

Kenny always trying to be in conflict with every point.

• Advertisement

Can one single poster on this thread actually answer me, who do we go for though??? It only makes sense to sack a manager if we have a plan. No one has once been able to explain to me as to what we do after we sack Kenny

I have no idea right now, but Stephen unfortunately is finished. They're not playing for him. To drag it out does him or the players no good.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The result tonight is obviously disappointing but the squad needs to be kept in mind.

I doubt even Shankly would make a go at this Irish squad. There was a time when we had players at United, Liverpool etc in our team. Look at what is available now.

Should we be losing at home to Luxembourg? They were 6/1 to win tonight and quite frankly deserved it.

As an aside, did this match really have to be played in the Aviva tonight? Considering there were no fans there, I could imagine that there would have been other grounds under FAI jurisdiction which could have handled the attendance of zero, and in a smaller ground, the atmosphere wouldn't be quite so empty. It would still be empty, yes, just less so.

the kelt wrote: »
    So just leave him there then!

Honestly, I would leave him the campaign at least. I won't paint over it, it's a woeful night for Irish football, make no mistake, but if we become a revolving door for managers, it won't get us anywhere either. I was actually encouraged by the Serbia performance, but tonight was absolutely abysmal. The simple fact is that Irish football has been in decline for years.

Another thing we must remember about Kenny. He is the only Irish manager whose team never got the chance to play in front of a crowd. This might make some difference to our urgency.

He can hardly answer questions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As an aside, did this match really have to be played in the Aviva tonight? Considering there were no fans there, I could imagine that there would have been other grounds under FAI jurisdiction which could have handled the attendance of zero, and in a smaller ground, the atmosphere wouldn't be quite so empty. It would still be empty, yes, just less so.

Dalymount had a game already today.

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Technically, the manager never deserves the blame because he's not the one out there on the pitch kicking the ball. Doesn't mean he doesn't get the blame, though.

Honestly, I would leave him the campaign at least. I won't paint over it, it's a woeful night for Irish football, make no mistake, but if we become a revolving door for managers, it won't get us anywhere either. I was actually encouraged by the Serbia performance, but tonight was absolutely abysmal. The simple fact is that Irish football has been in decline for years.

Another thing we must remember about Kenny. He is the only Irish manager whose team never got the chance to play in front of a crowd. This might make some difference to our urgency.

I’m not arguing we haven’t been in decline for years, still doesn’t mean the manger knows what he’s doing! Luxembourg at home! They wer 6/1 to win tonight.

Delaney has messed up soccer in this country for years yet people, still defend one of the most bonkers decisions he made, oddly!

I’m not so sure having a crowd there with that performance would be a positive.

But probably best to leave him there, qualification is gone and work on a replacement in the meantime.

I have no idea right now, but Stephen unfortunately is finished. They're not playing for him. To drag it out does him or the players no good.

So you have absolutely no idea of who our next manager should be, but you think our current one should be sacked? Im interested to know how you envisage us improving under a new manager that you don't even know the identity of yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kenny obviously clueless but the FAI are broke, any decent manager would be too expensive. Maybe give Andrews a go.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

So you have absolutely no idea of who our next manager should be, but you think our current one should be sacked? Im interested to know how you envisage us improving under a new manager that you don't even know the identity of yet?

The players aren't playing for him. He's done. Don't you get it?

He'll achieve success with whatever LOI club he takes over. He's a decent sort. Its the right man at probably the wrong time for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

the kelt wrote: »
    Should we be losing at home to Luxembourg? They were 6/1 to win tonight and quite frankly deserved it.

I think Greece were close to that v Spain for the draw, finished 1-1.
    Should Spain not be beating Greece at home?

We should be beating them, but we didn't, it happens.

Would I sack Kenny because of tonight? No.

Doesn't stop me being disappointed but I look at the squad we had for tonight and honestly there really isn't much international quality there. But I do think he had us playing a better style of football in the last game, but tonight we were poor and gave the ball away an atrocious amounts of time. I can't really blame Kenny for that.

The players aren't playing for him. He's done. Don't you get it?

They wont play for the next one either, or the one after that. The senior players are terrible. Technically no skill. Shane Long a disaster tonight for a player of such experience. Couldnt direct a simple header. All these got into the professional ranks because the 'up and atom' mentality was in English football. Those days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Desperate stuff tonight. You can pile all the pressure you want on Kenny but we were hardly stellar under Mick either, 7 goals in that qualifying campaign and struggled to put Gibraltar away.

I'm ambivalent about Kenny staying or going because I believe the problems with the sport runs far deeper than one man.

There's been a chickens coming home to roost moment on the way for a long time and I honestly don't think it's going to stop with tonight's result. We could be in for a very harsh decade.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement