Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What he did when Doherty got injured was ludicrous.

Logical management
    (A) If he wanted to stick with the 3-5-2, then bring on a CB and push Coleman out to RWB
    (B) Go to 4 at the back with Coleman RB

Kenny: play Browne at RWB for the entire second half.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Doing "very little" like they did would be a huge improvement for Kenny.

Does Kenny have Robbie Keane to pick from, or Shay Given? or Damien Duff or Richard Dunne??? Trap had all four and O'Neill had Keane at least on one or two occasions. Kenny doesn't have that calibre. He has over the hill players who were only bog standard and a few raw youths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Jason Knight was named captain of Derby at 19.

Nathan Collins is 19 and has captained Stoke already.

Kelleher was excellent in the Champions League.

We have a crop of exciting young strikers, they have had a tough year this year, but they are still kids. Idah, Connolly, Parrott, even Obafemi.

There is the bones of a great crop of players there. The problem is we are relying on them already, as our senior players are an embarrassment.
    I was questioning the technical ability of the players, not whether they were making a breakthrough or not.

You look at Vincent Thill tonight, who just turned 21. He's rotating in and out of a Portuguese team that's currently second bottom in the league. Maybe he just had an exceptional game, and our younger players had a bad one, but none of our lads looked like they were anywhere near his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Br
    Browne actually plays at RB for Preston quite a bit in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What he did when Doherty got injured was ludicrous.

Logical management
    (A) If he wanted to stick with the 3-5-2, then bring on a CB and push Coleman out to RWB
    (B) Go to 4 at the back with Coleman RB

Browne does play Rwb occasionally for Preston but I agree.

I'd have went 4 at back.

Coleman O'Shea Clark Stevens
    Knight Cullen Browne
    Robinson Collins Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The whole structure of football needs to change. It should have woke after Denmark hammering few years ago but we are still waiting.

FAI are the root of this whole mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Browne actually plays at RB for Preston quite a bit in fairness.

7 games: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alan-browne/leistungsdaten/spieler/277697

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

You've got to finish 3rd in the Group. Defeat tonight will hammer the rankings and could you be confident of a third place finish now. That spiral makes it tougher then for Euro 2024 etc.

The problem in this situation is for Stephen Kenny his best argument is 'we've got to consider the future', while the best argument against him now is 'we've got to consider the future'

The whole structure of football needs to change. It should have woke after Denmark hammering few years ago but we are still waiting.

FAI are the root of this whole mess

Ruud Dokter was appointed way back and in fairness, he made huge recommendations on the underage front which we are seeing some signs of, but that will only go so far. The fact we play so many sports is a factor and it is chicken and egg as to whether we will produce a team good enough to inspire another young generation to develop.

Denmark wasn't the first hammering (and not the worst either). What about Spain in 2012? the fact we lost all 3 games at those 2012 Euros or the 6-1 drubbing by Germany 3 months later? What about the 3-0 defeat to Belgium in 2016 and the fact we were using delay tactics at the corner flag after a mere 10 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ruud Dokter was appointed way back and in fairness, he made huge recommendations on the underage front which we are seeing some signs of, but that will only go so far. The fact we play so many sports is a factor and it is chicken and egg as to whether we will produce a team good enough to inspire another young generation to develop.

Denmark wasn't the first hammering (and not the worst either). What about Spain in 2012? the fact we lost all 3 games at those 2012 Euros or the 6-1 drubbing by Germany 3 months later? What about the 3-0 defeat to Belgium in 2016 and the fact we were using delay tactics at the corner flag after a mere 10 minutes?

Ya I agree but at least we were getting to Euros back then. But I see your point and it's a valid one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

What infuriates me so much is that while all the arguments will persist this is a large section of the most vocal "Irish Supporter's" after this will go ahead and start leaving money with LFC and MUFC for season tickets, new gear for themselves and the kids, spend a fortune heading over for a game every year while moaning about how we can't develop players.

While I'm not a LOI Supporter's myself, I don't pace my sporting allegiance in a team based in a city I couldn't find on a map, while shouting brits out and up the RA, while laughing at the league of Ireland.

I don't mean to be harsh as I love to see the national team doing well but what more can you expect? Its not as if we are going to turn into world beaters over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

The problem is whether we like it or not we are in the middle of a period of no talent. The reason being is that the FAI was terrible for decades and we relied on English clubs to develop our top players.

But since mid 00's the Premier league clubs have become so sophisticated they have moved beyond the Irish lads.

The granny rule doesn't work anymore, the English academies have stopped using our young players. So what do we have? We have a handful of players developed in the league of Ireland. The few that made it in the UK (Brady, Hendrick etc) and the couple that will do the granny rule cause they won't make it with england (Robinson, O'Dowda, James Collins)

We can criticise Kenny until the cows come home. But he is dealing with the worst crop of talent ireland has had in decades. I'm not defending Kenny, I'm saying "sacking him isn't the solution", we need to develop our own young players.

Whether that means keeps our young players in Ireland until 16-19 and then moving them on. Or it means making sure the ones who don't make it abroad have somewhere to go. Our systems are not only naive, but i'd argue in some situations non existent.

My personal opinion is to stick with Kenny (i don't see valid alternatives that will change things long term correctly), but I can accept alternative opinions. But whatever the alternative opinion is, it has to address our system is broken and needs radical change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

piplip87 wrote: »
    What infuriates me so much is that while all the arguments will persist this is a large section of the most vocal "Irish Supporter's" after this will go ahead and start leaving money with LFC and MUFC for season tickets, new gear for themselves and the kids, spend a fortune heading over for a game every year while moaning about how we can't develop players.

While I'm not a LOI Supporter's myself, I don't pace my sporting allegiance in a team based in a city I couldn't find on a map, while shouting brits out and up the RA, while laughing at the league of Ireland.

I don't mean to be harsh as I love to see the national team doing well but what more can you expect? Its not as if we are going to turn into world beaters over the weekend.
    How are the people like yourself, who aren’t supporting LOI football but don’t support English teams, less culpable for the lack of money to develop players than the ones who do support English teams?

plibige wrote: »
    The problem is whether we like it or not we are in the middle of a period of no talent. The reason being is that the FAI was terrible for decades and we relied on English clubs to develop our top players.

But since mid 00's the Premier league clubs have become so sophisticated they have moved beyond the Irish lads.

The granny rule doesn't work anymore, the English academies have stopped using our young players. So what do we have? We have a handful of players developed in the league of Ireland. The few that made it in the UK (Brady, Hendrick etc) and the couple that will do the granny rule cause they won't make it with england (Robinson, O'Dowda, James Collins)

We can criticise Kenny until the cows come home. But he is dealing with the worst crop of talent ireland has had in decades. I'm not defending Kenny, I'm saying "sacking him isn't the solution", we need to develop our own young players.

Whether that means keeps our young players in Ireland until 16-19 and then moving them on. Or it means making sure the ones who don't make it abroad have somewhere to go. Our systems are not only naive, but i'd argue in some situations non existent.

My personal opinion is to stick with Kenny (i don't see valid alternatives that will change things long term correctly), but I can accept alternative opinions. But whatever the alternative opinion is, it has to address our system is broken and needs radical change

I agree but the players at the minute who are in the Premier league like Hendrick and Brady are not playing o teams known for their expansive possession based teams. So why on earth would you try to play that system with players who you only get to train a few times a year.

I am all for changing the style of play, this needs to happen from grassroots up but this current batch can't play that way. Appoint Kenny as lead development officer but to try and have this group.play like that is on him

CSF wrote: »
    How are the people like yourself, who aren’t supporting LOI football but don’t support English teams, less culpable for the lack of money to develop players than the ones who do support English teams?

Im in Virginia in Cavan. I attend as many Virginia FC games as possible, I attend as many internationals as possible, I watch as many LOI games as possible but I have no connection with any LOI team as there is none here. Now saying that if there was a local team I would support in the LOI I would but there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Im in Virginia in Cavan. I attend as many Virginia FC games as possible, I attend as many internationals as possible, I watch as many LOI games as possible but I have no connection with any LOI team as there is none here. Now saying that if there was a local team I would support in the LOI I would but there isn't.

Ok, I have no gripes with who you do or don’t support. You can do whatever you want really.

But how are you in a position to be ranting about other people not funding the domestic league if you’re not either? Especially given we’re in the 2nd consecutive season now where being close to a LOI ground hasn’t actually given anyone an advantage in terms of access to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

We have no right to just beat Luxembourg.

Maybe that was a problem tonight. I don't think it was with Kenny but maybe with some of the players. Coleman alluded to it in his interview calling the result "embarrassing".

Luxembourg have made a lot of progress as seen by their results and will tonight's results shows that again. It looked to me like they were physically bigger than us as well.

Don't see what changing Stephen Kenny would accomplish. He is coming into a transition period and should get the campaign at least to find his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Does anyone know if there are any friendlies lined up for the June break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We have no right to just beat Luxembourg.

Maybe that was a problem tonight. I don't think it was with Kenny but maybe with some of the players. Coleman alluded to it in his interview calling the result "embarrassing".

Luxembourg have made a lot of progress as seen by their results and will tonight's results shows that again. It looked to me like they were physically bigger than us as well.

Don't see what changing Stephen Kenny would accomplish. He is coming into a transition period and should get the campaign at least to find his team.

What or how long will it take for you to see he is woefully ill equipped and unprepared to do this job?

Yes, the players blah blah.

Nobody wants to be harsh but it's a results business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What other country in Europe at the moment other than the likes of San Marino would still have this man as manager tonight?

You don't survive results like that. Not to mention the fact if the dressing room wasn't lost before it's lost now.

No coming back from tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I was all for giving Kenny a fair crack at the whip and there are definitely some deep rooted issues with Irish football, but no wins in this many games is not acceptable.
    He should do the honorable thing and step down.

Stephen Kenny took over amidst a pandemic last year

To date, he hasn't had the luxury of playing in front of a crowd which is something no Irish manager has ever endured.

He has had injuries, retirements, the collapse of the FAI and players out due to covid to endure

He hasn't had the experience to draw on, of Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne, Shay Given or Damien Duff. Trap had the luxury of calling on all four. MON had two of them max during his stint.

Sacking him is all well and good, but what name sticks out that would even consider replacing him? There is not a hope in hell that Eddie Howe would touch us. People are conveniently forgetting the millions he spent at Bournemouth which was still not enough to keep them in the Premiership. No one would go near that group of players. The senior players aside from Coleman probably, have absolutely nothing going for them. Coleman is also 32 now so is nearing the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

What other country in Europe at the moment other than the likes of San Marino would still have this man as manager tonight?

You don't survive results like that. Not to mention the fact if the dressing room wasn't lost before it's lost now.

No coming back from tonight.

Northern Ireland lost to Luxembourg with Michael O Neill in charge before he took them to the euros.

Terrible result nonetheless but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I'd rather us trying to change a style of play and become a good side rather than be beating Luxembourg 1-0 last night hoofing it up there. If it's not working in 2 years time that's when we should change manager. At least Kenny is trying something.

The finger should still be pointed at Delaney, when we should have been investing in our youth he was spending on himself. It still sickens me, clubs taken for mugs for the likes of Coleman , Shane long. Put time into grassroots football in Ireland. Things were so bad when Delaney was in charge I wouldn't watch Ireland. I used to hope for defeats and no qualification so that it would be less money in that crooked associations hands. Now it is a pleasure to watch and support them, and I hope Kenny can bring us to good times.

He needs time and anyone calling for his head needs a good look at themselves.

• Advertisement

Stephen Kenny took over amidst a pandemic last year

To date, he hasn't had the luxury of playing in front of a crowd which is something no Irish manager has ever endured.

He has had injuries, retirements, the collapse of the FAI and players out due to covid to endure

He hasn't had the experience to draw on of Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne, Shay Given or

Sacking him is all well and good, but what name sticks out that would even consider replacing him? There is not a hope in hell that Eddie Howe would touch us. People are conveniently forgetting the millions he spent at Bournemouth which was still not enough to keep them in the Premiership. No one would go near that group of players. The senior players aside from Coleman probably, have absolutely nothing going for them. Coleman is also 32 now so is nearing the end

Fair points on the circumstances this year, but how long does it go on for.
    Also, as for a manager, Chris Hughton, if he would leave forest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If people are really annoyed about the state of Irish soccer. And view it as their number 1 sport. Instead of travelling over to England every few months on the plane supporting a foreign club. Why not support a LOI every so often. Just go and watch a game?

I am more a GAA fan. I wouldn't support an English soccer team, but can see how kids get sucked in when a team is winning when they were 10 ish. But are Irish soccer fans that taking by branding and marketing?

I went to a LOI game between Rovers and Dundalk (Tallaght) back in 2019 it was my first match out of curiosity.

It was a baking hot day middle of summer top two teams in LOI, nice stadium and feck all at it. I was shocked wondering why soccer heads don't go more?

Had previously just seen Shels in Europe way back against Hajuk Split and Deportivo.
    If you enjoy games of soccer surely you will just enjoy soccer. Does it have to be English Premier League?

I was at a Vanarma National League game over in England 2019. My brother lives near a side there. It was Sutton United v Ebbsfleet. The game was 3-2 affordable really enjoyable. Almost a GAA type community atmosphere. Nice day out good memories.

When it comes down to it what is killing Irish soccer is not just FAI gombeens with lack of business acumen, and no morals. But the Irish soccer fans who refuse to support the LOI.

Irish soccer will never really improve unless more people support the LOI.
    Then the LOI teams can afford to keep their players a bit longer, have better facilities and so on. And gradually the quality improves. All the talk of grassroots seems farcical, when most Irish soccer fans themselves do not support the Irish grassroots.

But it seems many Irish soccer fans seem to think that supporting a big English soccer club or Celtic is supporting Irish soccer. It is not it is in fact it is killing it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Northern Ireland lost to Luxembourg with Michael O Neill in charge before he took them to the euros.

Terrible result nonetheless but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I'd rather us trying to change a style of play and become a good side rather than be beating Luxembourg 1-0 last night hoofing it up there. If it's not working in 2 years time that's when we should change manager. At least Kenny is trying something.

The finger should still be pointed at Delaney, when we should have been investing in our youth he was spending on himself. It still sickens me, clubs taken for mugs for the likes of Coleman , Shane long. Put time into grassroots football in Ireland. Things were so bad when Delaney was in charge I wouldn't watch Ireland. I used to hope for defeats and no qualification so that it would be less money in that crooked associations hands. Now it is a pleasure to watch and support them, and I hope Kenny can bring us to good times.

People should look at themselves yet you were hoping your own country would lose?
    I despise delaney too but would never wish Ireland to lose. Unfathomable.

Fair points on the circumstances this year, but how long does it go on for.
    Also, as for a manager, Chris Hughton, if he would leave forest?

Hughton wouldn't piss on us. Definately not also after he was sacked along with Kerr back in 2005. He'll stick with the Kuwaiti's at Forest and if he is given a war chest in the summer, he could well bring them up next season.

Hughton wouldn't piss on us. Definately not also after he was sacked along with Kerr back in 2005. He'll stick with the Kuwaiti's at Forest and if he is given a war chest in the summer, he could well bring them up next season.

Michael o'Neill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

People should look at themselves yet you were hoping your own country would lose?
    I despise delaney too but would never wish Ireland to lose. Unfathomable.

Yep, and I've no shame in saying it. I had no attachment or interest in that national team for a long, long time.

I am more a GAA fan. I wouldn't support an English soccer team, but can see how kids get sucked in when a team is winning when they were 10 ish. But are Irish soccer fans that taking by branding and marketing?

I went to a LOI game between Rovers and Dundalk (Tallaght) back in 2019 it was my first match out of curiosity. Had previously just seen Shels in Europe way back against Hajuk Split and Deportivo.

If you enjoy games of soccer surely you will just enjoy soccer. Does it have to be English Premier League?

I was at a Vanarma National League game over in England 2019. My brother lives near a side there. It was Sutton United v Ebbsfleet. The game was 3-2 affordable really enjoyable. Almost a GAA type community atmosphere.

When it comes down to it what is killing Irish soccer is not just FAI gombeens with lack of business acumen, and no morals. But the Irish soccer fans who refuse to support the LOI.

Irish soccer will never really improve unless more people support the LOI.
    Then the LOI teams can afford to keep their players a bit longer, better facilities and so on. And gradually the quality improves. All the talk of grassroots seems farcial, when most Irish soccer fans themselves do not support the Irish grassroots.

But it seems many Irish soccer fans seem to think that supporting a big English soccer club or Celtic is supporting Irish soccer. It is not it is in fact it is killing it.

Id love to see the league take off. I really would. Watch a few games on the telly and its come on in leaps and bounds considering. I do think that it was up to the FAI themselves to expand and grow the league and they neglected it over the years because of the w@nkers they had on the board. Delaney was the most notable to them, but the FAI have always had gangsters. They were just less media friendly

Michael o'Neill?

At Stoke. He left Northern Ireland who are in a far better place then we are now.

At Stoke. He left Northern Ireland who are in a far better place then we are now.

Yeah, the FAi might need to prize someone from a club. Wheres denis o briens cheque book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Id love to see the league take off. I really would. Watch a few games on the telly and its come on in leaps and bounds considering. I do think that it was up to the FAI themselves to expand and grow the league and they neglected it over the years because of the w@nkers they had on the board. Delaney was the most notable to them, but the FAI have always had gangsters. They were just less media friendly

Why should it have to be up to the FAI? It is just a question of getting off yer ass and going to a game. Cork City could be your one sure didn't Tipp man Long play for them.

Blaming Delaney is just an easy 'out' to take attention away from Irish soccer fans. Look at the massive crowds that turn up in the AVIVA for an English teams pre-season friendly wearing the English team shirts when they play LOI teams. English teams barely breaking a sweat, cashing in on the PL brand
    It is madness the more you think of it. It is way too easy to blame Delaney alone.

Yet we will hear all sorts of grassroots sh!te talk. sure the FAI had had Dutch performance directors for many a year.

If people really like soccer games a person would watch any soccer game.
    The amount of GAA games I went to league away, O'Byrne Cup, Club, even minor/u21 county games. Why do I go? Because I enjoy the sport look for up and coming stars. I care don't what level if i was in the humuor to watch a GAA match off I'd go.

For the average Irish soccer fan did Shane Long only exist when he played in the EPL for Reading???

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You’re hard at work tonight. Northern Ireland are in a better place are they? You could be right. Have they better players than we have? Nope they don’t. Bottom line for any manager is can he get the best out of the players he has. If Stephen ended up 3rd in the Group but beat teams lower ranked and there was signs of progress that would be acceptable. That’s not happening though.

You keep saying who should replace him but that’s not an argument to leave him in charge. Unfortunately it’s not going to work out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What or how long will it take for you to see he is woefully ill equipped and unprepared to do this job?

Yes, the players blah blah.

Nobody wants to be harsh but it's a results business.

I've been watching Ireland play mostly reductive **** football for the last 20 years even when we had some excellent players.

I'm willing to give a manager that wants to change that mindset a couple of years at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The majority of Irish football fans were either around in the Charlton days or grew up hearing stories of those days.

That was an era when the Premier League was well behind Italy as the top league in Europe/the world. It had mostly Irish and British players in it. The term player pathways didn't mean anything. We didn't have to do anything to produce our own players as England finished them off and we hoovered up their decent rejects.

Fast forward to now and those same fans don't want to hear about long term planning. They're only concerned with the jolly and a p1ss up or crap like singing to babies on trains because that's banter or something.

Explain that the LOI is the highest level of football in this country and needs to be nurtured as our only player pathway now the door to England is all but shut and you'll be met with snobbery. There's no hope of getting those people to games on a regular basis, they live on a diet of pub TV football and the odd jolly in Dublin, Manchester/Liverpool or a major tournament. The best fans in the world alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The majority of Irish football fans were either around in the Charlton days or grew up hearing stories of those days.

That was an era when the Premier League was well behind Italy as the top league in Europe/the world. It had mostly Irish and British players in it. The term player pathways didn't mean anything. We didn't have to do anything to produce our own players as England finished them off and we hoovered up their decent rejects.

Fast forward to now and those same fans don't want to hear about long term planning. They're only concerned with the jolly and a p1ss up or crap like singing to babies on trains because that's banter or something.

Explain that the LOI is the highest level of football in this country and needs to be nurtured as our only player pathway now the door to England is all but shut and you'll be met with snobbery. There's no hope of getting those people to games on a regular basis, they live on a diet of pub TV football and the odd jolly in Dublin, Manchester/Liverpool or a major tournament. The best fans in the world alright.

What’s any of that got to do with the manager being out of his depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe I’m delusional but even though we’re losing I’m at least finding the game more engaging.

Some friends/fans I know saying it’s the worst Irish display and so on and I feel like I’m crazy. I’ve had season tickets where we’ve not scored a single goal during the entire ticket if I remember correctly.

We’re trying to play football but Kenny needs results. I like Kenny but thought McClean sub and tactic shift ruined us a bit.

He needs results to keep the pressure off despite the idea that he’s there to change our footballing style. I don’t agree with people who claim we shouldn’t and just keep with direct ball.

The huge difference is if you look at Luxembourg even, despite their population back in 2003 they made a conscious effort to improve the local game with the goal of improving the squad. Acknowledged it would take many years like Iceland did.

Whether the FAI view Kenny as a quick fix or will try a long process is the debate for me. His success with the youths style was a joy.

Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

Also as much as I look back at some players with fondness it’s time to move on.

I don’t buy into the idea that we don’t have anybody else. We may as well try the likes of Parrott, Idah, Martins, Molumby, and Connolly.

I remember Brady and Long in particular. The goals against Germany and Italy stuck in my mind. The madness in the stands. But truth is we need to move away and look forward.

Brady has been in a supposed slump since the end of 2016. When do we just admit he’ll never get back to the level he was?

Long as much as I love his passion has not been our answer. Longs last Irish goal was 2016 (correct me if I’m wrong). Keanes was also in 2016. Keane has been retired since, what’s Longs excuse?

I know I’m singling out but there are many players earning spots on past merits rather than form.

And some fans attachment to them boggles me. Kenny needs to just go all in on the future or not at all in my mind. Easily said I know, but when we’re behind and you toss on the old guard it looks like desperation to me.

Anyway a disappointing night but it’s not the first or last as an Irish fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sounds like a lot of you want Kenny to be employed as FAI youth development officer. He’s manager of the senior team though.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of you want Kenny to be employed as FAI youth development officer. He’s manager of the senior team though.

I’m not a fan of that approach and I don’t speak for all but it’s not about manger vs youth development. It’s about an Irish manager in connection/working with development, which I want.

That was the ambition of FAI with Kenny. Not one or the other. Not a history of an Irish manager looking at getting an instant result with no input to the youth setup.

Kenny quite clearly from their stated ambitions was hired on as this first step in strengthening the link between the senior team and youth development. An ambition to improve the transition process and implement similarly playing style and tactics across the youth teams and senior team to improve the promotion of the players to the senior stage.

Yes Kenny fully needs results but I don’t believe he should abandon this ideology for quick results to keep the masses happy.

We’re in for some tough years but by all regards the goal for now isn’t even qualification as a major target but to implement the transition. Whether FAI stick with this is another thing.

I will say some reactions from Irish fans has my head rattled though. It’s like people forget about our past during the break. We’ve not been to a World Cup since 2002. Why not try change it up?

It won’t be quick as we’ve seen with other countries but it’s well worth exploring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd stick Robbie Keane in until the end of the campaign. At least has experience of full time football. No idea why Kenny thought he was qualified to tell such a legend under contract that his services were not needed. Kenny seemed to want to only work with people at his level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What’s any of that got to do with the manager being out of his depth?

Because the players look out of their depth and routinely do against lesser opposition, I offered an opinion as to why that is.

Kenny can't be blamed for the fact it's approaching 20 years since we made a World Cup. Or that we've zero players playing regularly at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So last night wasn't just a nightmare :(:eek:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

edgecutter wrote: »
    Sacking Kenny won't make much difference, the player pool is awful.

As disgusted as I am I'd agree with this (I think), I can't see anyone wanting the job at the moment.

You can only dance with the girls in the dance hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Jim Gazebo wrote: »

The finger should be pointed at Delaney yet you’re defending one of the most ludicrous decisions John Delaney made whilst he was in the FAI!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I took some positives from the Serbia game, there were some nice passages of play at times and it looked like we had stuff to build upon. We should not have lost that game and the result looks better now considering the Serbia v Portugal result last night (yes I know Portugal were robbed).

We lost though, but we had a great opportunity to get the elusive win against opposition we should be beating.

The game last night though, yes again there were some nice passages at times, but we gave the ball away more times with poor passing in midfield.

Our play seemed to be drawn out wide, but we had no natural wide players up front. We had Robinson and Brownes out wide when they would be better in the middle. Browne taking some corners when he looks to be the best header of the ball up front - he came closest to scoring with his header from memory.

I don't know where I am going with this (similar to the Irish team I suppose). Are we really playing a better brand of football? Maybe we are seeing now why the last regimes tended to just bypass the midfield.

I can't see us beating Qatar. With the current system we won't beat Azerbaijan. Portugal will beat us comfortably as we have no attacking threat. As it stands we are in real danger of finishing bottom of this group (even counting Qatar). I can think of better ways of boycotting the 2022 World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just to ask a question?

Tough one.

I was excited about the players coming from under 21s looking good and they were talked up.

But can we honestly say any of them have shown what it takes ?

You hear mentioned. They are young , time to develop etc

But likes of Duff , Robbie Keane , to name two. Just arrived. Were ready from the off.

Clearly they are not at that level. But they were talked up as if at that level or the future looks very bright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement