Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As disgusted as I am I'd agree with this (I think), I can't see anyone wanting the job at the moment.

You can only dance with the girls in the dance hall.

There's always a way to get people in who don't want the job. The FAI just don't have that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just to ask a question?

Tough one.

I was excited about the players coming from under 21s looking good and they were talked up.

But can we honestly say any of them have shown what it takes ?

You hear mentioned. They are young , time to develop etc

But likes of Duff , Robbie Keane , to name two. Just arrived. Were ready from the off.

Clearly they are not at that level. But they were talked up as if at that level or the future looks very bright.

No it was a combination.

They were talked up but not as much as Stephen Kenny was!

We had posters on here during mick mc carthys tenure telling all and sundry about the great youth players that he wasn’t bringing through who could make a difference and how Kenny would get the best out of these players, wait and see, we have great young players coming through.

In other words under my carthy, “well I blame the manager, we have great young players he just doesn’t know how to get the best out of them”

Since it’s now gotten worse it’s “nothing to do with the manger, players just aren’t there”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

the kelt wrote: »
    No it was a combination.

We had posters on here during mick mc carthys tenure telling all and sundry about the great youth players that he wasn’t bringing through who could make a difference and how Kenny would get the best out of these players, wait and see, we have great young players coming through.

In other words under my carthy, “well I blame the manager, we have great young players he just doesn’t know how to get the best out of them”

Since it’s now gotten worse it’s “nothing to do with the manger, players just aren’t there”

All propaganda

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Just to ask a question?

Tough one.

I was excited about the players coming from under 21s looking good and they were talked up.

But likes of Duff , Robbie Keane , to name two. Just arrived. Were ready from the off.

Clearly they are not at that level. But they were talked up as if at that level or the future looks very bright.

Overhyped by the media. Not fair on the young players as it creates unrealistic expectations. None are exceptionally talented and other countries have players better at a similar age. In time I'd be hopeful that 4 or 5 can develop into good players and possibly play at Premier League level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No it was a combination.

To be fair to all involved.

Is it fair to say our players at the Keane and Duff level have declared for England ?

The point im making ..Great players turn up and look ready at 18/19. This development we talk about is a bit much for lads 20/21 not playing even in the premiership.
    We even have forwards at that age who still are not scoring goals.

I never imagined I'd say or type this.

But at this point. Can you blame them picking England. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Nope. Sorry. Luxembourg. Kenny has to go. There is no coming back from that result.

And to give Kenny a further break.

In Grealish and Rice ..he has lost two generational players.

That is the sad reality for a small country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Garzorico wrote: »
    Nope. Sorry. Luxembourg. Kenny has to go. There is no coming back from that result.

There was for Northern Ireland.

Not having a go at you, just saying what I read a few posts back.

Football is done in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I know it's easier said than done but I think Kenny needs to get a settled team ASAP. If players are pulling out consistently, then leave them out.

At the moment the Cap is becoming quite cheap, anyone who is anyone is getting an Ireland cap. This creates a problem in that there's very little pressure to perform to keep your place. As much as people criticised him, Trapattoni was quite frugal in offering new caps and whenever he did the players had pressure on them to perform because they knew chances were not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

No win in 10 games went 8 games without scoring now we lose at home to Luxembourg put a fork in kenny hes done.

Now the fai mightnt want to sack him but its quite obvious the players have downed tools and have no faith in him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Zico ! wrote: »
    No win in 10 games went 8 games without scoring now we lose at home to Luxembourg put a fork in kenny hes done.

Now the fai mightnt want to sack him but its quite obvious the players have downed tools and have no faith in him

I didn't get that impression from Seamus Coleman last night, but I was in a bit of a daze listening to him.

Zico ! wrote: »

Why do you think this.

Was fantastic effort in first of these two games.

And there was effort put in on pitch (imo) - but we didn't have the players on the pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We always talk up the kids though. I remember going to see the under 21's at Terryland in 2008 and it was the same. At that time we had a young kid by the name of Darron Gibson who was at Man Utd and making waves. Darren O'Dea was at Celtic and starting to get his place in the first 11. Anthony Stokes had just left Arsenal for Sunderland after scoring a ridiculous 14 goals in 15 games while on loan at Falkirk. Sean Scannell was 17 and had just made the breakthrough and was playing regular in the Championship and had a line of clubs in for him. Andy Keogh was playing a lot of Championship football and looking a decent prospect as well.

Who've we got today who is playing as well as that?

Knight and Collins are probably about the only ones who are making a regular impact at club level. Parrott is struggling in League 1. Molumby is only half playing for an average Preston team. Idah has had injuries, but he's not played a whole pile. Obafemi similar. Coventry is 21 and has barely played senior football. Smallbone has a few games under his belt, unfortunately he's injured too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

While i know its nowhere near as simplistic as this, we could have had a team/subs made up of players thay have played in the top tier of their league (UK/Belgium)

Randolph, Coleman, Egan, O Shea, Stevens Doherty Cullen Hendrick Brady
    Connolly Robinson

Subs
    Kelleher, Shane Long, Kevin Long, James McCarthy, Jimmy Dunne, Shane Duffy

I understand not all are regulars or in the best form, but neither are they playing in the German 3rd division like some of thr Luxembourg players.

While i would be critical of Kenny (but willing to stick with him), there is something in the Irish players over the last number of years that isnt right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Gutted

That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What’s the story with a shirt sponsor for the national team?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Also as much as I look back at some players with fondness it’s time to move on.

I don’t buy into the idea that we don’t have anybody else. We may as well try the likes of Parrott, Idah, Martins, Molumby, and Connolly.

I remember Brady and Long in particular. The goals against Germany and Italy stuck in my mind. The madness in the stands. But truth is we need to move away and look forward.

Brady has been in a supposed slump since the end of 2016. When do we just admit he’ll never get back to the level he was?

Long as much as I love his passion has not been our answer. Longs last Irish goal was 2016 (correct me if I’m wrong). Keanes was also in 2016. Keane has been retired since, what’s Longs excuse?

I know I’m singling out but there are many players earning spots on past merits rather than form.

And some fans attachment to them boggles me. Kenny needs to just go all in on the future or not at all in my mind. Easily said I know, but when we’re behind and you toss on the old guard it looks like desperation to me.

Anyway a disappointing night but it’s not the first or last as an Irish fan.

You’re going around singling out all sorts of players. Kenny is out of his depth unfortunately. You’re talking about some ideology. There is no ideology, it’s a failure. The FAI are broke and can’t afford to sack him and can’t afford to replace him. That’s the only thing keeping Stephen Kenny in the job. It’s sad but it happens, when players aren’t performing then the manager must go.

All sorts of mental gymnastics going on here. We don’t have the players etc. Yes, we weren’t going to get a play off but we still can expect to beat the teams lower ranked than us. There was hope in some aspects of the performance v Serbia but he has to go after that last night. There is no future in this project. The worrying thing is that he’s going to carry on like a lame duck manager for the next year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

What’s the story with a shirt sponsor for the national team?

Would you want your brand associated with losers!!
    Betting companies are probably the only ones who would sponsor them but that would be toxic for PR.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of you want Kenny to be employed as FAI youth development officer. He’s manager of the senior team though.
    I really don't understand this mentality at all. There seems to be this false belief that Kenny needs to give younger players a chance, and if he does so, it will somehow make them better players. I don't see how this is the case at all. Parrott's the youngest member of the squad at 19. He's been playing senior club football this year and some from last year. Is taking part in a handful of training sessions and getting a couple of minutes at international level going to make him a better player? We've not seen any evidence his call-up's have done anything to help his club career. Perhaps it made things worse, maybe he should have stayed with Ipswich yesterday to try and fight for his place?

It's been rightfully pointed out that the players we are producing are not good enough, I totally agree with that. But to conflate that point as to why Kenny needs to remain the senior manager is a completely different thing. Kenny is the senior team manager, this is all about results, not development.

If people want Kenny developing young players, then he should be working as youth development manager at the 12-18 year old level where he can actually make a difference. I can't see what he can possibly do to improve the likes of a 21 year old Conor Coventry for example, a player who's barely had any senior games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I really don't understand this mentality at all. There seems to be this false belief that Kenny needs to give younger players a chance, and if he does so, it will somehow make them better players. I don't see how this is the case at all. Parrott's the youngest member of the squad at 19. He's been playing senior club football this year and some from last year. Is taking part in a handful of training sessions and getting a couple of minutes at international level going to make him a better player? We've not seen any evidence his call-up's have done anything to help his club career. Perhaps it made things worse, maybe he should have stayed with Ipswich yesterday to try and fight for his place?

It's been rightfully pointed out that the players we are producing are not good enough, I totally agree with that. But to conflate that point as to why Kenny needs to remain the senior manager is a completely different thing. Kenny is the senior team manager, this is all about results, not development.

If people want Kenny developing young players, then he should be working as youth development manager at the 12-18 year old level where he can actually make a difference. I can't see what he can possibly do to improve the likes of a 21 year old Conor Coventry for example, a player who's barely had any senior games.

This is it in a nutshell.

I’ve seen all this commentary about how Kenny is trying to “change the entire culture of football in this country”

That’s admirable but that’s not his job. His job is to get the senior team competing, winning and qualifying for major tournaments.

If you want him to change the entire culture of football in this country then put him in a role where that’s his actual job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Exactly, nail on the head.

And - for some like the post I was responding to - this mentality is loaded with the suggestion that he need not get results, that he should be absolved of such trifling concerns because he wants them to pass the ball. Absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I simply think it's a case that the FAI don't have the money to sack Kenny. Managers always back themselves to turn situations like this around so he's not going to walk away. He'll remain in place for this campaign at least.

Has it been confirmed why Damien Duff left when he did? Looks a good call this morning.

I’ve seen all this commentary about how Kenny is trying to “change the entire culture of football in this country”

That’s admirable but that’s not his job. His job is to get the senior team competing, winning and qualifying for major tournaments.

If you want him to change the entire culture of football in this country then put him in a role where that’s his actual job!

And the media have made me take the soup in this.

Id actually take this campaign in the chin if it was for a new ideology. But when the **** hit the fan. We actually put Brady , McClean and Long out to try get a result.

Even Kenny didn't stick by his own ideology versus Luxembourg at home.

Is it clear yet that a manager who got us through a campaign with one defeat and draws vs Denmark twice and the Swiss once probably would have been better than a manager who is waiting on his first win after 10 games in he playoff vs Slovakia

The Slovaks drew with Cyprus and Malta this week incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

piplip87 wrote: »
    What infuriates me so much is that while all the arguments will persist this is a large section of the most vocal "Irish Supporter's" after this will go ahead and start leaving money with LFC and MUFC for season tickets, new gear for themselves and the kids, spend a fortune heading over for a game every year while moaning about how we can't develop players.

While I'm not a LOI Supporter's myself, I don't pace my sporting allegiance in a team based in a city I couldn't find on a map, while shouting brits out and up the RA, while laughing at the league of Ireland.

I don't mean to be harsh as I love to see the national team doing well but what more can you expect? Its not as if we are going to turn into world beaters over the weekend.

I love the stereotypes that people use on here. There is usually two after results like this. Theres the event junkie stereotype where its "Irish people who couldn't find Liverpool or Manchester on a map and spend all their money going over there despite being IRA supporters and hating the Brits. Yet they won't go to LOI games."

I know lots of people who go and watch PL games. I'm one of them. Not one falls into that stereotype.

Then there's "the lads who just want to go for pints every four years and don't even like the game". There's more substance to this one in fairness. But I know a lot of genuine football fans who go to LOI games and internationals who also go to a Euros or WC and enjoy the pints. Its not a crime.

I dunno why people keep trotting these stereotypes out especially with such contempt and condescension after results like this. Is it to feel morally superior?

And yet when we had managers who focused purely on results and had relative success, they got hammered for their style of football.

Our greatest ever manager regularly got called out for his style despite delivering results far beyond what we'd seen before or since.

You see Pulis, Allardyce etc getting hammered on here for their style despite the fact they get results.

I think some people believe that you're far more likely to get results playing progressive football no matter what players you have. Sadly, that's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

My take on it is that Kenny has made big mistakes in his treatment of out of form experienced players. Both Coleman and Duffy have now been dropped and it's alright to drop them if you don't intend on using them again. But I would say in the first page of the management book would be to get senior players onside as quickly as possible or get them out the door as quickly as possible. If a manager shows no loyalty or trust in players then it's hard for them to get onboard.

I wouldn't say Coleman or Duffy are players who would down tools or cause problems but Kenny is sending out mixed messages that looks like he's not sure what he's doing. I think it might already be too late to rectify.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I’m not sure is the problem with Kenny more his philosophy or he comes across as a deeply average man.

Id love to hear from people who knew Kenny years ago, even from outside football, what kind of person he is. He seems an uncomfortable fit for the job he finds himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think the FAI messed up initially in the way they handled the Transition between McCarthy and Kenny. First off if they wanted Kenny as manager they should have given it to him instead of sticking McCarthy in as an interim manager, it basically set up both managers for failure. McCarthy knew he was only there for a few games, so was only interested in the short term, got to a play off and due to Covid couldn't finish the job. Kenny coming in for the play off was on a hiding to nothing, win and it was McCarthy's team lose and McCarthy would have done better.
    Kenny got off to a bad start due to losing the play off ( I know the Nations league games were poor too), I think some of the senior players lost faith in him after that. I get that he wants to play a more progressive style, but, results are important at international level. We need to play a style of play to suit the limited players we have. Most of our players are either not playing regularly or at a low level so we can't expect to "out football" many teams, whether people like it or not we need to play a more pragmatic style if we are to have any chance of success. We simply don't have the players to play the type of game Kenny wants us to.

I think Kenny looks uncomfortable as manager, kinda like he feels he's out of his depth. I think he's a busted flush at this stage and looked like a very beaten man after the game last night. Unfortunately because he hasn't managed at an elite level in England he was always on the back foot in terms of gaining respect from the players especially those playing in the premier league/ English born players, he needed to get off to a good start, that hasn't happened and very hard to see him turn it around now. You'd have to wonder have all the injuries been genuine or have some players decided they didn't like what they saw of Kenny and don't want to play for him, which says more about the players than Kenny tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I’m not sure is the problem with Kenny more his philosophy or he comes across as a deeply average man.

Id love to hear from people who knew Kenny years ago, even from outside football, what kind of person he is. He seems an uncomfortable fit for the job he finds himself in.

I think he’s probably a decent football man and had obviously been doing good work with the U21s. Put him back into that role or make him head of development working with 12 to 18 year olds as someone above mentioned. That’s a very important job and he’d be good at it. It’s possibly even more important as the current senior team aren’t going to succeed in qualifying even if the best is got out of them.

Take Kenny out of his misery where he is now, it’s not working for him and it’s not going to. Who’s making decisions at the FAI now though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Girly Gal wrote: »
    McCarthy knew he was only there for a few games, so was only interested in the short term, got to a play off and due to Covid couldn't finish the job.

Again and for the 1,000th time McCarthy did NOT get to a playoff

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I genuinely think we needed to have a result like this just to show the precarious position we are in.

People really need to wake up to the fact that this is our level now. A ****load of U21s have been shoehorned in when they simply aren't ready. Changing the manager isn't going to change that because what you'll get is tried and test players coming in and playing like they aren't arsed. I'd give him until the end of the campaign at the very least but unless you have a development plan, then nothing will change and these results will become the norm.

When Northern Ireland hired Michael O'Neill they drew and lost to Luxembourg in the 2014 WC qualifiers and finished just a point ahead of them and 2 behind Azerbaijan in the final group table. Euro 2016 - they qualified for it because they persisted with a change in philosophy that O'Neill was bedding in. When he left, they brought someone in to continue along that line.

It's because the IFA took the short-term pain for a long-term gain. There are plenty of short-sighted Irish fans who don't seem to understand where we are right now. A new manager doesn't make that same group of players any better.

Fact of the matter is, decades of little to no investment in underage football in this country at the expense of a celebrity CEO has ruined us. Two poxy qualifications for Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 papered over the cracks of what was coming down the line and many people, including Brian Kerr, called this years ago. People didn't listen because it's in our heads that we have a god given right to be at these tournaments so we can sing songs and think we're deadly.

We have no player development programmes in this country. It's basically ship them off to England and hope for the best. It's a slap in the face for the coaches especially those now who are trying to embed this culture and attitude.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think he’s probably a decent football man and had obviously been doing good work with the U21s. Put him back into that role or make him head of development working with 12 to 18 year olds as someone above mentioned. That’s a very important job and he’d be good at it. It’s possibly even more important as the current senior team aren’t going to succeed in qualifying even if the best is got out of them.

Take Kenny out of his misery where he is now, it’s not working for him and it’s not going to. Who’s making decisions at the FAI now though?

Ah just let him go if this is a failure.

The hopeless optimism over a coaching ticket including Keith Andrews and Damien Duff was so overcooked.

When I think of Keith Andrews post playing career, I think of his comments on Spygate and just think this guy is a dope...

It's madness," said Andrews.

"Initially there's a bit of comical value to it, you think someone is skulking around the opposition training ground and then you start thinking a little bit more in depth and I think it's quite disgusting really.

"It's not the way things are done over here. It's not illegal but it's immoral, it's not within the spirit of the game in the way it's played over here and I don't really think he gives a damn.

"If it's gone on in different countries... that's not the country he's managing in right now. He absolutely has to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Faugheen wrote: »
    I genuinely think we needed to have a result like this just to show the precarious position we are in.

People really need to wake up to the fact that this is our level now. A ****load of U21s have been shoehorned in when they simply aren't ready. Changing the manager isn't going to change that because what you'll get is tried and test players coming in and playing like they aren't arsed. I'd give him until the end of the campaign at the very least but unless you have a development plan, then nothing will change and these results will become the norm.

When Northern Ireland hired Michael O'Neill they drew and lost to Luxembourg in the 2014 WC qualifiers and finished just a point ahead of them and 2 behind Azerbaijan in the final group table. Euro 2016 - they qualified for it because they persisted with a change in philosophy that O'Neill was bedding in. When he left, they brought someone in to continue along that line.

It's because the IFA took the short-term pain for a long-term gain. There are plenty of short-sighted Irish fans who don't seem to understand where we are right now. A new manager doesn't make that same group of players any better.

Fact of the matter is, decades of little to no investment in underage football in this country at the expense of a celebrity CEO has ruined us. Two poxy qualifications for Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 papered over the cracks of what was coming down the line and many people, including Brian Kerr, called this years ago. People didn't listen because it's in our heads that we have a god given right to be at these tournaments so we can sing songs and think we're deadly.

We have no player development programmes in this country. It's basically ship them off to England and hope for the best. It's a slap in the face for the coaches especially those now who are trying to embed this culture and attitude.

But as another poster said either here or on another thread, development programmes are not the job of the senior team manager.

It's not for them to develop the players or the philosophy.

It's for them to get results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

TheCitizen wrote: »

Why move Kenny on now? Leave him there for this campaign then re assess

• Advertisement

[/b]

But as another poster said either here or on another thread, development programmes are not the job of the senior team manager.

It's not for them to develop the players or the philosophy.

It's for them to get results.

Results with what if there are no player development programmes?

You really don't get it. How is any manager going to come in and get anything from a group of players like this? What will it take for people to realise this isn't just about the senior team anymore?

Irish football has been left to rot for the last 15 years and this is the result that you have been going on about. It will take another 15 years for it to turn itself around. Hiring and firing managers due to deep-rooted problems within the system from top to bottom won't change a thing.

Why move Kenny on now? Leave him there for this campaign then re assess

Because not finishing third makes the task harder in the next qualification campaign. Results matter, and he’s incapable of getting them.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because not finishing third makes the task harder in the next qualification campaign. Results matter, and he’s incapable of getting them.

Northern Ireland finished 5th in their 2014 WCQ campaign.

How did their Euro 2016 campaign go?

You really don't get it. How is any manager going to come in and get anything from a group of players like this? What will it take for people to realise this isn't just about the senior team anymore?

Irish football has been left to rot for the last 15 years and this is the result that you have been going on about. It will take another 15 years for it to turn itself around. Hiring and firing managers due to deep-rooted problems within the system from top to bottom won't change a thing.

I believe Irish football has been rotting for far longer to be honest although the Delaney era certainly squandered a good chance to pull ourselves up.

People dip in and out of the Irish national team. Watch a match every few months, criticise the team and give my opinion on how to fix it all. That's the cycle and it lends itself to simple, scapegoating answers.

However anyone thinks Kenny is doing, firing him will make little material difference. The problems, from our collective mindset around the game, our player development or lack of it all the way through to the absence of a quality league are all contributing to the mess we find ourselves in.

We may luck out and get another strong collection of players in a few years but that will be in spite of ourselves rather than because of how great we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Northern Ireland finished 5th in their 2014 WCQ campaign.

How did their Euro 2016 campaign go?

How on earth does such an exception combat the point?

The lower your seeding, the harder it is to qualify.

In addition, we don't seem to want to play the way the North did to get those results.

• Advertisement

If you were involved in youth football, you'd know that player development programs exist, and have done so for a number of years now.

Ruud Dokter has been heading up this role for years now and we've seen lots of changes for the better since then. Kids playing on smaller pitches, more coaches getting UEFA licenced, more coaching for players, an Emerging Talent program created for players with high potential, etc. My local club in Galway which isn't even one of the more high profile ones had a kid a few years back who was on such a program, got great benefit out of it and played underage for Ireland, although he didn't make it unfortunately.

Clearly there's more that can be done, but to suggest that there's nothing out there for young players isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Posted this in the Match thread but it probably belongs here:

Worth remembering that every LOI premier league club has an academy comprising of u14,15, 17 & 19. All head coaches are supposed be uefa b as a minimum.

Contact hours vary between 7&10 per week. On top of that the fai have a central EPT programme where the elite of the aforementioned LOI academy get another couple of hours per week.

https://www.fai.ie/dom...mmes/emerging-talent

The seeds have been sown but it’ll be another 5/7 years before we reap the benefits.

It’s always darkest before the dawn

If you were involved in youth football, you'd know that player development programs exist, and have done so for a number of years now.

Ruud Dokter has been heading up this role for years now and we've seen lots of changes for the better since then. Kids playing on smaller pitches, more coaches getting UEFA licenced, more coaching for players, an Emerging Talent program created for players with high potential, etc. My local club in Galway which isn't even one of the more high profile ones had a kid a few years back who was on such a program, got great benefit out of it and played underage for Ireland, although he didn't make it unfortunately.

Clearly there's more that can be done, but to suggest that there's nothing out there for young players isn't true.

They are miles behind the GAA. I have no interest in my kids playing GAA but all of the facilities are there for youngsters. There is nothing there for football

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I honestly cannot defend a deadbeat at home to Luxembourg. Nor would I be massively surprised if he was sacked after this window...But what's the point in sacking him now? Let him use this campaign to generate a new team and usher out the old lads. A new manager coming in and reverting to hoofball will just set us back again.

Brady - 29
    Hendrick - 29
    Long - 34
    McClean - 32 in a few weeks

None of the above should even be in the squad going forward. All have been terrible for a number of years under different managers (Brady has been ruined by injuries). Only positive of this window was Kenny recognizing after the Serbia game that Hendrick is a liability and not giving him a minute last night.

Randolph
    Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Hourihane

That's enough experience in the squad right there. Bring the youngsters through alongside that group.

I honestly cannot defend a deadbeat at home to Luxembourg. Nor would I be massively surprised if he was sacked after this window...But what's the point in sacking him now? Let him use this campaign to generate a new team and usher out the old lads. A new manager coming in and reverting to hoofball will just set us back again.

Brady - 29
    Hendrick - 29
    Long - 34
    McClean - 32 in a few weeks

None of the above should even be in the squad going forward. All have been terrible for a number of years under different managers (Brady has been ruined by injuries). Only positive of this window was Kenny recognizing after the Serbia game that Hendrick is a liability and not giving him a minute last night.

Randolph
    Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Hourihane

That's enough experience in the squad right there. Bring the youngsters through alongside that group.

To protect our seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Is it clear yet that a manager who got us through a campaign with one defeat and draws vs Denmark twice and the Swiss once probably would have been better than a manager who is waiting on his first win after 10 games in he playoff vs Slovakia

The Slovaks drew with Cyprus and Malta this week incidentally.

We finished third in the Euros qualifying group! It wasn't a traditional playoff place we won on our own merits, it was due to the extension of the tournament places and the new Nation's league format which we finished bottom of.

I like Mick but he didn't and wasn't doing a great job, we were lucky to be in that qualifier. And the match itself was probably the best of Kenny's reign so far, we played well and were unlucky missing an absolute sitter.

Let's be honest he's inherited a bit of a sh1t show. Mick hanging around not sure what was going on, Covid, lack of talent, injuries, Delaney, governance restructuring. You couldn't pick a worse buzz saw to walk into. Not to mention his own health issue in Sweden just before taking over.

I have sympathy for him and a lot of faith in him. I believe given time he can create a good Ireland team that we will enjoy watching and be proud of. I'll be going to the Aviva when I can anyway to support him and what he's trying to do.

Last night was a nightmare, everyone knows that, I think now is the time to show a little faith and maybe we'll all wake up from it as Faugheen said.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Im a huge fan of what Kenny is trying to do with the Irish set up but that was an appalling result last night, some of the players just didnt turn up, even the lads that played well against Serbia just didnt seem interested in the game, while we need to take a good look at how we move forward from this I think it would be a bad move to sack Kenny at this stage, lets him at least finish what he was brought in to try and achieve

What Irish football needs is a supporters trust that takes an annual sub from members and all money raised goes to needy causes for facilities equipment and coaches upskilling around the country. It should have a board that grants and supervises the investment projects chosen to make sure all money is going where it should. The board are completely volunteer based and should be quality people from a business background with a proven track record of supporting and investing In Irish football.

Get the likes of Brian Kerr and Niall Quinn to publicly endorse the trust or become board members

Lobby government to match the money raised from the trust. Football has no say in political circles in Ireland and that is a problem.

Or we could do the same as we have being doing till now and stay where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You want a quick fix for the rotten core of Irish football, give Niall Quinn a quick phone call and tell him the keys to Irish football are there for Redstrike to do what they need. Literally hand the keys to Irish football over to this company. Cause even if the FAI had the money they'd do the bare minimum and stuff the rest into their pockets because they don't give two ****s about Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Again and for the 1,000th time McCarthy did NOT get to a playoff

Check UEFA.com, they list all the play off games for Euro 2020, Slovakia v Ireland is listed as part of the play off games; it states that 16 teams took part in play off matches for 4 places, so if UEFA are calling it a play off match I'll go with them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement