Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You just don't get it.

Results only mattered when it was Trap/MON/McCarthy who were in charge. The days of short-term thinking are out, we have to be more strategic.

The 2024 World Cup qualification campaign should be written off because there's a long-term strategy vision in place that's going to take time to come to fruition.

The 2026 Euro qualification campaign should also be written off because by then our ranking will be in the toilet, so more time is needed to build it back up.

2028 World Cup qualification should be written off because it's too hard.

It's not going to be until the 2030 Euro qualification that Kenny can actually be judged on.

Unless Uefa change things then rankings don't determine seedings for the Euros, it goes by the nation's league.

Rumour on the Twitter machine suggests that Conor Coventry will start against Qatar.

Hopefully, I'd rather see him playing than Hendrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Azatadine wrote: »
    Ah come on now...... you can't just ignore 10 games without a win, an odd goal scored, loss to Lux and not hold him accountable until 2030?

I don't see how all of his believers go with this 'philosophy' narrative either like as if he's a messiah based on LOI and Scottish experience.

Fair crack of the whip and all that but he can't be given a free pass till 2030......results have to be taken into account and 10 games is not a small sample set even allowing for circumstances.

Whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm hoping Saturday was an indication that Hendrick is out for the foreseeable future at least. If he can't a) get back in the Newcastle side and b) start showing some good form when he does get into their team then I wouldn't even chance letting him on the pitch for us.

It's sad to see really as it looked in Euro 2016 like we could be building a midfield around him for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

They’ll both start. Hendrick isn’t a holding mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Only a friendly but a win tonight with maybe some younger players impressing Knight, Coventry and Parrott impressing would help boost morale somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Whoosh!

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They’ll both start. Hendrick isn’t a holding mid.
    Coventry starting would suggest that it's Cullen who is being benched. I would guess that Browne will be benched too with Hendrick taking his place. Since Knight played the last game, you'd think Molumby will come back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

wadacrack wrote: »
    Only a friendly but a win tonight with maybe some younger players impressing Knight, Coventry and Parrott impressing would help boost morale somewhat

That would be the one and only goal for this management now, get the monkey off their back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres also the fact the because Coventry, Molumby and Knights careers are still in their infancy, theres still a good chance that someone or even all them might not make it to the level required to be a regular international footballer.

I’d hope they’ll all be good options once they get over the 20 cap apprenticeship that most players need before they feel comfortable at international level.

I do doubt if any of the three will ever be elite at unlocking defenses.

I do think Molumby’s future may be as a full back rather than a midfielder.

• Advertisement

He was excellent in the u21s for Kenny and a had a brilliant partnership with both Molumby and Knight. I'd probably even go as far as saying he actually looked the better player over the pair of them throughout those qualifiers.

This is why I'd pair him with one of the lads in midfield tonight. They've got the experience of playing alongside each other in a double pivot for the U21s.
    I’d hope they’ll all be good options once they get over the 20 cap apprenticeship that most players need before they feel comfortable at international level.

I do doubt if any of the three will ever be elite at unlocking defenses.

I do think Molumby’s future may be as a full back rather than a midfielder.

They won't because ones a defensive 6, and the other two are hard working 8s. If we're only talking about lads who'd be under 21, we'll say U21 because Byrne is also someone who could possible unlock a defence with a pass, but for lads that are U21 it's going to be either Will Smallbone or Luca Connell. Those two are the best ball playing young midfielders we've got, and it's no surprise that both lads have come up learning their game in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I cannot see us beating Qatar tonight.
    We have a very very poor squad and I think it’s going to take some time to get them playing the way Kenny wants them to play.
    Hopefully we’ll see a few more younger players coming in and being there for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Coventry and Ronan were both very impressive for the 21s and key to how they played. Themselves and Molumby made for a very well balanced midfield. However if they are not playing regularly men's football it's hard to justify calling them up (that is more so for Coventry). Ronan is exactly the type of player we need, whether he is good enough I'm not sure.

Not feeling confident ahead of this game but looking forward to watching it and hopefully we can click and score a few goals. The only player I really want to see in the team is Parrott.

Exactly.

We've also Connor Ronan, who I still hold out hope for. At 23, he should be looking push on next season and to maybe follow in the footsteps of Cullen by looking for a permanent move on the continent. Hes had decent loan spells in Slovakia and Switzerland. A permanent move to Grasshopper if they get promoted wouldn't be the worst.

Wolves obviously rate him by offering him a new 3 year deal recently, but I cant see him getting into their first team any time soon. Even as a squad player.

Yeah I'm really hoping he pushes on next season because from the U21s you can see he's a baller.

I hope that Wolves were retaining him with the intention of loaning him out to Grasshoppers given the Wolves owner's wife owns Grasshoppers. I don't think he'll ever make it at Wolves given they can buy whoever they want, and chances are they'll be more looking at certain players that are represented by a certain agent whose invovled with the owners.

Like Cullen is turning 25 next week, he was introduced far too late. He was ready 4/5 years ago.
    I don't think you can say it was clear that he should have been capped 4/5 years ago. For every Josh Cullen who shows promise, there's probably another five Harry Charsley's or Connor Dimaio's, it's not clear which ones will make it, and which ones won't.

Maybe players aren't going to Europe because well... the scouts aren't coming here(or to the UK if they're already based there).

Why does everyone assume theres X offer in the UK and Y offer in Europe and that nobody takes Europe?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There's no reason to think that imo.

They're a decent team and they've already beaten Luxembourg, I'd say they'll have too much for us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Watching Azerbajan vs Serbia. 1-1 at the moment.

We could come last in this group :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Maybe players aren't going to Europe because well... the scouts aren't coming here(or to the UK if they're already based there).

Why does everyone assume theres X offer in the UK and Y offer in Europe and that nobody takes Europe?.

A scout I know who works for an Eredivisie club once told me "Most of the Irish kids are so far behind I feel sorry for them"

I think he was referring to his time working in England when Irish lads would go over at 16 or 17. Teams on the continent have even higher standards than they do in England, so I doubt there are many offers on the table for young lads at that age to go to France, Germany, the Netherlands. It's not worth the time and effort they would have to put into them.

• Advertisement

Assuming it's gonna be:

Bazunu
    Christie - Coleman - Duffy - O'Shea
    Molumby - Hendrick Brady
    Horgan - Long - McClean

Oat23 wrote: »
    A scout I know who works for an Eredivisie club once told me "Most of the Irish kids are so far behind I feel sorry for them"

I think he was referring to his time working in England when Irish lads would go over at 16 or 17. Teams on the continent have even higher standards than they do in England, so I doubt there are many offers on the table for young lads at that age to go to France, Germany, the Netherlands. It's not worth the time and effort they would have to put into them.

When I was involved with Limericks underage a development officer back in 2016 told us that lads going across to the UK at 16 were at the same development stage as 14 year olds in the UK.

AhhHere wrote: »

2-1 now.

A midfielder getting on the ball inbetween the midfield and their defence and playing a through ball.... sadly we haven't one player to do that and thats our biggest issue.

Every midfielder we have is cut from the same cloth.

It's a shame Kenny wasnt there 10 years ago and having the peripheral figures of Reid or Wes, theres nobody even sitting on the outside of the panel we could bring in.

We have a better standard defence than midfield/attack.. and it shows. We don't concede many so we're getting what we should on the defensive end.
    Youd be better off having a Championship defence and some midfielders and forwards from the higher level as it's easier to defend.
    We just have the wrong end for being competitive currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

AhhHere wrote: »

1-2 now.

I know we've been done since Saturday but my god, seven points off the team we hoped to challenge after three games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Young players definitely need more contact hours here with properly qualified coaches

But where are we going to get all these coaches to work with league of Ireland underage teams 4/5 days a week ? Who is going to give that commitment without being paid properly? And who’s going to pay the?

Said a while back to its such a drawn out and stupidly expensive process to get these badges that it turns people away .

Coaches getting qualified in Germany , Spain , England , France etc are all motivated by it as a career , to get into the football industry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

tastyt wrote: »
    Young players definitely need more contact hours here with properly qualified coaches

But where are we going to get all these coaches to work with league of Ireland underage teams 4/5 days a week ? Who is going to give that commitment without being paid properly? And who’s going to pay the?

Said a while back to its such a drawn out and stupidly expensive process to get these badges that it turns people away .

Coaches getting qualified in Germany , Spain , England , France etc are all motivated by it as a career , to get into the football industry .

The cost of badges here are very prohibitive, about 7,500 to get a pro licence, it's 1,500 in Germany.

Also there are 30,000 UEFA accredited coaches in Germany they all simply aren't in it as a career.

There's a culture on the continent where UEFA accreditation has been embraced and even to coach a local youth team you need to be accredited.

Here it's, Mick from the pub is free once or twice a week sure he can have a go. UEFA badges are seen as a money racket rather than the standardisation they are.

• Advertisement

Luxemborg 1 up v Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

wadacrack wrote: »
    Luxemborg 1 up v Portugal

Caught before halftime but still a good game for them.

This group is going to be very tight.

Unless someone steps up in Portugal Luxembourg game every game has been a draw or decided by 1 goal which is nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Portugal have it back to 1-1 at HT.
    Will be interesting to see how that game develops though.

Rodrigues has got the goal-den touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

2-1 now.

A midfielder getting on the ball inbetween the midfield and their defence and playing a through ball.... sadly we haven't one player to do that and thats our biggest issue.

Every midfielder we have is cut from the same cloth.

It's a shame Kenny wasnt there 10 years ago and having the peripheral figures of Reid or Wes, theres nobody even sitting on the outside of the panel we could bring in.

We have a better standard defence than midfield/attack.. and it shows. We don't concede many so we're getting what we should on the defensive end.
    Youd be better off having a Championship defence and some midfielders and forwards from the higher level as it's easier to defend.
    We just have the wrong end for being competitive currently.

What are you talking about with Andy Reid? A tubby lad with a guitar who suddenly became a hero because Trap wouldn't play him? What did he ever do in his career? Was he ever high level as you suggest we need?

I generally like TOD but FFS that opening question to Dara O'Shea... "Do you think tonight's performance erases the memory of the Luxembourg game?"

Surely he can come up with something better than that??

• Advertisement

I generally like TOD but FFS that opening question to Dara O'Shea... "Do you think tonight's performance erases the memory of the Luxembourg game?"

Surely he can come up with something better than that??

O'Shea looked confused by it. Embarrassing question

Duffy was good. Just because it has been difficult for him at Celtic doesn't mean he should be thrown on the thrash heap. He's not the first player to have a bad time at Celtic that were successful in other leagues. He'll go to an EPL or English championship side and return to his erstwhile relatively successful career.

I think he was a better option than Clark in the Serbia and Luxembourg games in hindsight.

Watching The Boys in Green programme on RTE now.

This revisionism re the Irish flag that it wasn't revered before Jack Charlton is utter nonsense. Larry Mullen was at the same nonsense in the Jack documentary on Virgin Media the other night. Give it a rest.

Desperately poor political revisionism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Who was missing from the current run of matches that would ordinarily get into the team?
    Randolf, Egan, Hourihan.... Is that it?

Who was missing from the current run of matches that would ordinarily get into the team?
    Randolf, Egan, Hourihan.... Is that it?
    McCarthy for sure. O'Dowda would have definitely started at least one game, same goes for Idah I'd say. I think Connolly might as well have been missing, he was clearly not fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Randolph or Kelleher would've started the qualifiers if available. Ditto Egan. I'd say McCarthy might have started at least one, but I don't really rate him so personally I don't think he'd have made a difference. Probably O'Dowda too cos Kenny seems to like him.

Long may have played instead of Clark (but if Egan was around he wouldn't). Hourihane would've been from the bench at best imo. Idah might've started the Luxembourg game instead of Collins with Connolly out.

I have nailed my colours to the mast previously on Kenny. I think, and hope, that he should be given the full campaign. I also acknowledge that he can improve in areas and that he was badly at fault against Luxembourg by not reacting in-game when it was obvious the approach wasn't working.

However I do take issues with the argument that we should be doing much better, or that we had a realistic chance of qualifying, or that Mick/MON would be doing a better job.

The reality is since the beginning of 2017 we have been on a serious downward spiral. This is a period which takes in MON, Mick, and SK. None of them have so far proven they can arrest that slide. I hope Kenny can eventually.

Since winning 1-0 away to Austria in late 2016 our record in competitive games is:

2017 - WCQ including play-off - MON
    Played - 8
    Won - 2 (Moldova, Wales)
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 2

2018 - NL - MON
    Played - 4
    Won - 0
    Drew - 2
    Lost - 2

2019 - ECQ - Mick McCarthy
    Played - 8
    Won - 3 (Gibraltar x 2, Georgia)
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 1

2020 - NL - SK
    Played - 6
    Won - 0
    Drew - 3
    Lost - 3

2021 - WCQ - SK
    Played - 2
    Won - 0
    Drew - 0
    Lost - 2

28 competitive games played and 5 wins, 4 of which were against Gibraltar x2, Moldova, and Georgia.

My view is that neither of Kenny's predecessors had any interest in refreshing the squad unless injuries forced it upon them, nor were they interested in trying to improve our style of play/implement a more constructive style of play to take us into the modern era of football.

What's the point in never looking to progress our football? Why sack Kenny and bring in a Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce? To revert to percentages football, sitting back and hoping to nick a set-piece goal? I'd much rather some short-term pain for long term gain of implementing a more progressive style of football and bringing through some young players that can play in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I have nailed my colours to the mast previously on Kenny. I think, and hope, that he should be given the full campaign. I also acknowledge that he can improve in areas and that he was badly at fault against Luxembourg by not reacting in-game when it was obvious the approach wasn't working.

However I do take issues with the argument that we should be doing much better, or that we had a realistic chance of qualifying, or that Mick/MON would be doing a better job.

The reality is since the beginning of 2017 we have been on a serious downward spiral. This is a period which takes in MON, Mick, and SK. None of them have so far proven they can arrest that slide. I hope Kenny can eventually.

Since winning 1-0 away to Austria in late 2016 our record in competitive games is:

Played - 8
    Won - 2 (Moldova, Wales)
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 2

2018 - NL - MON
    Played - 4
    Won - 0
    Drew - 2
    Lost - 2

Played - 8
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 1

2020 - NL - SK
    Played - 6
    Won - 0
    Drew - 3
    Lost - 3

2021 - WCQ - SK
    Played - 2
    Won - 0
    Drew - 0
    Lost - 2

28 competitive games played and 5 wins, 4 of which were against Gibraltar x2, Moldova, and Georgia.

My view is that neither of Kenny's predecessors had any interest in refreshing the squad unless injuries forced it upon them, nor were they interested in trying to improve our style of play/implement a more constructive style of play to take us into the modern era of football.

What's the point in never looking to progress our football? Why sack Kenny and bring in a Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce? To revert to percentages football, sitting back and hoping to nick a set-piece goal? I'd much rather some short-term pain for long term gain of implementing a more progressive style of football and bringing through some young players that can play in that way.

Tbf to Mick, he really had no incentive to bring in new untried players considering he was only ever going to be in the job for about a year, he also inherited a team on their knees after the MON era and had no warm up games to try players out, he was straight into the qualifiers with an expectation to qualify. The FAI hadn't enough faith in SK to appoint him in the first place and put Mick in as an interim manager instead, it really setup both managers for failure, unfortunately SK is bearing the brunt of this now.

Played - 8
    Won - 2 (Moldova, Wales)
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 2

2018 - NL - MON
    Played - 4
    Won - 0
    Drew - 2
    Lost - 2

Played - 8
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 1

2020 - NL - SK
    Played - 6
    Won - 0
    Drew - 3
    Lost - 3

2021 - WCQ - SK
    Played - 2
    Won - 0
    Drew - 0
    Lost - 2

He's going to get the full campaign at least.

Tonight he played some of the more experienced players. It appears he still doesn't know his first team pick or his preferred formation.

I hope he gets some wins and that he earns another campaign, but he's got to sort out in his head what he wants, what his best team is.

He's lead a charmed existence, to go 11 games without a win and keep his job. He should count himself lucky and get on with trying to get some wins on the board.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Tbf to Mick, he really had no incentive to bring in new untried players considering he was only ever going to be in the job for about a year, he also inherited a team on their knees after the MON era and had no warm up games to try players out, he was straight into the qualifiers with an expectation to qualify. The FAI hadn't enough faith in SK to appoint him in the first place and put Mick in as an interim manager instead, it really setup both managers for failure, unfortunately SK is bearing the brunt of this now.

There was definitely an element of that for Mick. But it goes both ways i.e. Kenny has to bring players through because there have been a number of years where players weren't being given a chance. The same failing players being picked over and over.

Trap was guilty of it too, let's not forget. Brilliantly illustrated by the fact tonight was only Seamus Coleman's 59th cap for us. 59!!!

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He's going to get the full campaign at least.

Tonight he played some of the more experienced players. It appears he still doesn't know his first team pick or his preferred formation.

I hope he gets some wins and that he earns another campaign, but he's got to sort out in his head what he wants, what his best team is.

He's lead a charmed existence, to go 11 games without a win and keep his job. He should count himself lucky and get on with trying to get some wins on the board.

He most definitely doesn't know his best team. His squads from international window to window have been so wildly different that it would be very difficult to nail down a preferred team.

In all honesty though, the players missing from this window were listed above and I'm not sure any of them, outside of Randolph and Egan, would be certain starters over the team that started in Serbia. Hourihane, O'Dowda, Idah are maybes??

In relation to your point about the 11 games, I think he is very lucky that we have a recent example, in such close proximity, of a rookie international manager taking time to find his feet. That may strangely be one of the key reasons he's not under more pressure from his bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There was definitely an element of that for Mick. But it goes both ways i.e. Kenny has to bring players through because there have been a number of years where players weren't being given a chance. The same failing players being picked over and over.

Trap was guilty of it too, let's not forget. Brilliantly illustrated by the fact tonight was only Seamus Coleman's 59th cap for us. 59!!!

Whether we like it or not, we can't afford to just get rid of players, especially experienced players with EPL experience, the younger players coming through aren't exactly world beaters either so it needs to be a mix of both, SK seems to have wanted to go almost totally with the younger lads at the expense of some experienced players, yet tonight reverted to more experienced lads. He needs to have a more balanced approach regarding playing youth and experienced players together and also a more balanced style between a progressive and pragmatic style. He's had enough games now to know what's available to him, so, the honeymoon period is well and truly over he needs to start getting results now and excuses won't wash from now on. I hope he does turn it around but it's an uphill battle from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I think what's disappointed me the most in recent times is that players in general for Ireland haven't kicked on to the next level.

You think back to EURO 2016 and the tournament Brady and Hendrick had and we thought they would be something we could build around for years. We stuck with them but more through lack of options.

The likes of Alan Browne, Robinson, Cyprus Christie, O'Dowda and Clark don't seem to be any better than when they first came on the scene.

Like even last year we had 4 teenage strikers play in the Premier League, probably for the first time in decades. Only Connolly has played somewhat regularly this year, the other three Parrott, Idah and Obafemi haven't got a look in.

I know these are young lads and we shouldn't expect the world off the bat, but equally looking at Parrotts statistics on his two loans so far, Idah not getting in the team at championship level and Obafemi going backwards I'd be worried

plibige wrote: »
    I think what's disappointed me the most in recent times is that players in general for Ireland haven't kicked on to the next level.

You think back to EURO 2016 and the tournament Brady and Hendrick had and we thought they would be something we could build around for years. We stuck with them but more through lack of options.

The likes of Alan Browne, Robinson, Cyprus Christie, O'Dowda and Clark don't seem to be any better than when they first came on the scene.

Like even last year we had 4 teenage strikers play in the Premier League, probably for the first time in decades. Only Connolly has played somewhat regularly this year, the other three Parrott, Idah and Obafemi haven't got a look in.

I know these are young lads and we shouldn't expect the world off the bat, but equally looking at Parrotts statistics on his two loans so far, Idah not getting in the team at championship level and Obafemi going backwards I'd be worried

Idah and Obafemi badly hampered by injuries this season in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Coleman probably missed at least 10 with that horrendous leg break. That contributes to his low count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Played - 8
    Won - 2 (Moldova, Wales)
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 2

2018 - NL - MON
    Played - 4
    Won - 0
    Drew - 2
    Lost - 2

Played - 8
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 1

2020 - NL - SK
    Played - 6
    Won - 0
    Drew - 3
    Lost - 3

2021 - WCQ - SK
    Played - 2
    Won - 0
    Drew - 0
    Lost - 2

I just that that is so deceptive tbh.

Draws in Serbia, five draws against the Danes, a draw against Switzerland, a draw with Austria and two draws with Wales.

You've also stopped at 2017 which means wins against Bosnia, Germany, Italy and Austria are not included. Indeed, draws against Bosnia and Sweden as well.

These are key, key results. You can say whatever you want about the style but results like this are difficult to achieve and mean you are actually within an ass's roar of qualification at the business end of a campaign.

Instead we are seven points off the pace one week after the campaign has started.

I'd ask your question another way, what is the point in sacrificing a campaign, getting players into a losing mindset, hurting our rank/seeding etc all in some ambiguous hope that Kenny will change the team's playing style over the span of a half dozen competitive games a year? Some almost take the latter as a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have been downhill since 2017.

What players from CDM up last night would get on a Scotland or Wales side even?

O Neill had more experienced players,
    McCarthy had more experienced players and failed miserably

We had the oldest squad at Euro 2016. The writing has been on the wall for some time.

Sack him all we like we be having same conversation in next few years if we don't work from youth structures and work to develop players.

In John Delaney's time as Irish CEO we never once produced a world class, or even close to World Class player

Goal and an assist for Connell last night. Level of football is pretty desperate, but he's far too good to be playing in this division and hopefully this will get him noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Goal and an assist for Connell last night. Level of football is pretty desperate, but he's far too good to be playing in this division and hopefully this will get him noticed.

Lovely goal. It is about LOI first division level sadly but least he is doing good.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I just that that is so deceptive tbh.

Draws in Serbia, five draws against the Danes, a draw against Switzerland, a draw with Austria and two draws with Wales.

You've also stopped at 2017 which means wins against Bosnia, Germany, Italy and Austria are not included. Indeed, draws against Bosnia and Sweden as well.

These are key, key results. You can say whatever you want about the style but results like this are difficult to achieve and mean you are actually within an ass's roar of qualification at the business end of a campaign.

Instead we are seven points off the pace one week after the campaign has started.

I'd ask your question another way, what is the point in sacrificing a campaign, getting players into a losing mindset, hurting our rank/seeding etc all in some ambiguous hope that Kenny will change the team's playing style over the span of a half dozen competitive games a year? Some almost take the latter as a given.

What is deceptive about it? I clearly called out why I picked 2017 onwards. The point is from the final whistle against Austria onwards we have clearly been on a downward spiral as a team. I am not dismissing any of the results that came before that - I could not have been happier with the results we had up to that point but it was clear from the start of 2017 that something changed.

It was not intended as a be-all and-all argument. It is context of the situation we have been in for 4 years under 3 different managers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement