Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kenny should go. Things are now as bad as they were under Stan. We’ve become a laughing stock.

What Kenny is trying to do is fundamentally naive. Trap and Martin O’Neill knew that we were rubbish and set the team up accordingly. Trying to “play football” with those players is just silly.

That's just it, the last 3 managers were vastly experienced and all 3 decided to play fast direct football, I don't think it's a coincidence and all 3 got us to major tournaments.

I still wouldn't sack Kenny just yet he deserves the opportunity of atleast a campaign but results really need to improve he's been very very naive so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We are already there tbh.

Luxembourg, Armenia, San Marino, Lichtenstein....these are our rivals now, our annual mini tournament so to speak.

That's our level.

The worst thing is that this is not even John Delaney's and the FAI's legacy.

That won't arrive for another 10 years probably.

We are in an appalling mess due to mismanagement and worse.

Armenia are top of their group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kenny should go. Things are now as bad as they were under Stan. We’ve become a laughing stock.

What Kenny is trying to do is fundamentally naive. Trap and Martin O’Neill knew that we were rubbish and set the team up accordingly. Trying to “play football” with those players is just silly.

The other factor is the conscious or perhaps subconscious lack of respect that UK-based players have for someone like Stephen Kenny who has no pedigree in the UK.

The latter point is not Kenny’s fault, but unfortunately he’s out of his depth.

Walk me through what we should be doing. First off we sit back and defend deep obviously, and just hope they don't score with 70% of the ball. And when we have it, we lump it long to... who exactly? 34 year old Shane Long? Adam Idah? Parrott? And from there, we... hope they can do something meaningful completely isolated with back to goal and swarmed by opposition players?

Without McGoldrick, that way of playing is just off the table imo, I don't see a player in our squad who could make that sort of game work - unless we start playing Shane Duffy up front or something.

In most of our games so far we've used very simple passing to work easier chances closer to goal - we just have a tendency not to take them. Like, we've missed some absolute sitters. Those chances don't get any easier or more scorable if you give those same players even more work to do by lumping it up to them.

Our problem is simply goals.

I'm not saying Kenny is the answer by the way, if he can't find a way to create that final cutting edge, we need someone else who can. But with the players we currently have, and the quality of teams rising all around us, I don't think the kick-it-long approach works anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Walk me through what we should be doing. First off we sit back and defend deep obviously, and just hope they don't score with 70% of the ball. And when we have it, we lump it long to... who exactly? 34 year old Shane Long? Adam Idah? Parrott? And from there, we... hope they can do something meaningful completely isolated with back to goal and swarmed by opposition players?

Without McGoldrick, that way of playing is just off the table imo, I don't see a player in our squad who could make that sort of game work - unless we start playing Shane Duffy up front or something.

In most of our games so far we've used very simple passing to work easier chances closer to goal - we just have a tendency not to take them. Like, we've missed some absolute sitters. Those chances don't get any easier or more scorable if you give those same players even more work to do by lumping it up to them.

Our problem is simply goals.

I'm not saying Kenny is the answer by the way, if he can't find a way to create that final cutting edge, we need someone else who can. But with the players we currently have, and the quality of teams rising all around us, I don't think the kick-it-long approach works anymore.

You are putting a huge emphasis on McGoldrick.

I know what you mean but it simply isn't true our direct approach started with him.

The question of how do you play that way without him implies we are better off adopting the approach we have been but what has it brought so far? We seem to lack a fundamental bite across the pitch atm. This shouldn't depend on our ability or system.

I was reasonably happy with the Slovakia and Serbia performances but he had to beat Luxembourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Still don't know why McGoldrick retired.

He's only played 14 internationals. It's not like he's been playing every international break for 10 years.

And with Sheffield Utd getting relegated he'll have a comfortable time at Championship level. Beg him to come back for the week even while Idah/Obafemi get some fitness or game time. Give him a carrot by offering him a good chance of a coaching role of some kind in future.

Collins by the way spent far too much time out on the wings v Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He shouldn't be sacked yet. If he hasn't turned thing around towards the end of the campaign he should be replaced but lets try build a team around the younger guys so we're ready for next euro campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That's just it, the last 3 managers were vastly experienced and all 3 decided to play fast direct football, I don't think it's a coincidence and all 3 got us to major tournaments.

McCarthy didn't get us to a tournament in his recent spell, he wasn't responsible for us getting to the playoffs either.

noodler wrote: »
    You are putting a huge emphasis on McGoldrick.

I know what you mean but it simply isn't true our direct approach started with him.

It definitely didn't start with him, but I think it's ended with him. We had a continuous succession of players that could play that role quite well, winning the ball, keeping it, and feeding it to players coming into good positions to do something with it. Over the last 20 years we had Quinn, Morrison, Doyle, Long, Murphy, Walters, and McGoldrick. There was always someone. There isn't anymore.
    The question of how do you play that way without him implies we are better off adopting the approach we have been but what has it brought so far? We seem to lack a fundamental bite across the pitch atm. This shouldn't depend on our ability or system.

I was reasonably happy with the Slovakia and Serbia performances but he had to beat Luxembourg.

This implies the previous approach was getting us anywhere, when I think it wasn't. I think we'd hit a stage of critical diminishing returns with that approach - especially without a quality targetman at the very least. I think change was 100% needed to give us any chance - just because this change hasn't worked out so far, doesn't mean change wasn't needed. We can see our own failure to develop sooner in the rise of one-time-minnows coming up all around us.

Agree with you on the general tenacity and bite - it's there some games, it's not in others. I kind of wonder how much of that is a by-product of lads not playing 90 minutes week in week out. In most of our international windows over the past year we've started with a strong enough first match (England aside) in terms of tenacity, with subsequent matches looking more tired. This window was the same - fought well against Serbia, looked a bit wrecked against Luxembourg. Then looked alright again after changing almost the entire team for Qatar.

I like Kenny, but it's entirely possible he's not up to making that next step. But either way, I want the next step to be someone finding a way to add cutting edge to the little bit of football that's already there, rather than stepping back to a reductive style that I don't think will do us any favours anyway.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Still don't know why McGoldrick retired.

He's only played 14 internationals. It's not like he's been playing every international break for 10 years.

And with Sheffield Utd getting relegated he'll have a comfortable time at Championship level. Beg him to come back for the week even while Idah/Obafemi get some fitness or game time. Give him a carrot by offering him a good chance of a coaching role of some kind in future.

Collins by the way spent far too much time out on the wings v Luxembourg.

The Championship is a tough auld slog with an awful lot of games though, and he's coming into the last year of his contract. His natural game is very physical too, so I can understand him wanting to take those international breaks to recovery physically, and try to do enough this year to earn an extension, or a decent final move.

I'd love if he came back, but I get it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Could see us finishing bottom of the group winless tbh.

Azerbaijan have played Qatar (L 2-1), Portugal (1-0 L) and Serbia (L 2-1)

Best case I think we win 2 games.

Remember the good ol' days where we'd be playing Cyprus and we'd know we'd win 2 or 3-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

First post here. It's funny as a non-soccer fan to see these threads full of supposed knowledgeable soccer fans arguing that we lost because of player choices, formations, the manager. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees! The fact is that in my lifetime we've had little success with ANY configuration of players, tactics, staff, manager, funding, ticket sales, stadium, etc etc. We aren't losing because McClean starts instead of Connolly, or because we don't have a strong enough defensive midfielder, or whatever rubbish. We've seen every configuration of talent and team here.

Those arguing that Kenny should be swapped for a manager that understands our player's limitations and can therein get results with our limitations are illogical: we've had little success with our limitations, or with far better squads, or even with managers that have excellent records of club management. Scraping through qualifications because of weak teams in a group can not be cited as success, it's blind stupid luck of the draw. This luck is as likely to work against you (e.g. the current group), which is why "working with our limitations" is senseless and is a sure-fire way to have NO success in the future.

Imo there's been something psychologically wrong with the team for many years. You can see this through players making uncharacteristic and unprofessional mistakes on the ball that they do not make in their clubs, you can see it when players put themselves into positions where they literally can't be passed to (i.e. shirking responsibility), you can see it with their fear of passing forwards, and fear of committing to any sort of forward momentum.

The lack of youth development or LOI funding is no doubt a problem, but it's currently a red herring, because any players brought in will begin to make uncharacteristic mistakes in the same way that Doherty, Duffy, Coleman etc do at international. However, I think there are clear glimmers of positivity in the play of our squad recently.

If this was a team of computer programmers, who can largely perform in other groups but make uncharacteristic, basic, stupid, mistakes together, across multiple managers/coaching staff, I'd assume that there's a cultural problem in the organisation. Is it pressure to perform? Poor staff behind the scenes? Demotivation from FAI? The press? Small country? I don't know, but Kenny (or any vaguely positive manager) should stay so that downward pressure can be put on the rest of the system to adapt.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Could see us finishing bottom of the group winless tbh.

Azerbaijan have played Qatar (L 2-1), Portugal (1-0 L) and Serbia (L 2-1)

Best case I think we win 2 games.

Remember the good ol' days where we'd be playing Cyprus and we'd know we'd win 2 or 3-0

'Tis a looooong time ago that was unfortunately... our last games against them in 2010 World Cup qualifying we narrowly won both games by a single goal, while for the 2008 Euro's qualification we drew them 1-1 at home and lost 5-2 away.

Have to go back 17 years to 2004 for a comfortable victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

floorpie wrote: »
    First post here. It's funny as a non-soccer fan to see these threads full of supposed knowledgeable soccer fans arguing that we lost because of player choices, formations, the manager. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees! The fact is that in my lifetime we've had little success with ANY configuration of players, tactics, staff, manager, funding, ticket sales, stadium, etc etc. We aren't losing because McClean starts instead of Connolly, or because we don't have a strong enough defensive midfielder, or whatever rubbish. We've seen every configuration of talent and team here.

Those arguing that Kenny should be swapped for a manager that understands our player's limitations and can therein get results with our limitations are illogical: we've had little success with our limitations, or with far better squads, or even with managers that have excellent records of club management. Scraping through qualifications because of weak teams in a group can not be cited as success, it's blind stupid luck of the draw. This luck is as likely to work against you (e.g. the current group), which is why "working with our limitations" is senseless and is a sure-fire way to have NO success in the future.

Imo there's been something psychologically wrong with the team for many years. You can see this through players making uncharacteristic and unprofessional mistakes on the ball that they do not make in their clubs, you can see it when players put themselves into positions where they literally can't be passed to (i.e. shirking responsibility), you can see it with their fear of passing forwards, and fear of committing to any sort of forward momentum.

The lack of youth development or LOI funding is no doubt a problem, but it's currently a red herring, because any players brought in will begin to make uncharacteristic mistakes in the same way that Doherty, Duffy, Coleman etc do at international. However, I think there are clear glimmers of positivity in the play of our squad recently.

If this was a team of computer programmers, who can largely perform in other groups but make uncharacteristic, basic, stupid, mistakes together, across multiple managers/coaching staff, I'd assume that there's a cultural problem in the organisation. Is it pressure to perform? Poor staff behind the scenes? Demotivation from FAI? The press? Small country? I don't know, but Kenny (or any vaguely positive manager) should stay so that downward pressure can be put on the rest of the system to adapt.

Doherty and Duffy (and most of our players) are making plenty of mistakes with their clubs too !
    There's nothing uncharacteristic about how they play with Ireland, it's just amplified by playing with other poor quality players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Big Ears wrote: »
    Doherty and Duffy (and most of our players) are making plenty of mistakes with their clubs too !
    There's nothing uncharacteristic about how they play with Ireland, it's just amplified by playing with other poor quality players.

I'm not talking about tactical mistakes or mistakes in decision making or anything, I mean being unable to dribble or hold the ball or pass coherently, i.e. fundamental mistakes. They may not be world class players but they're still professionals at a very high level, and I don't see them making such basic mistakes week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

floorpie wrote: »
    I'm not talking about tactical mistakes or mistakes in decision making or anything, I mean being unable to dribble or hold the ball or pass coherently, i.e. fundamental mistakes. They may not be world class players but they're still professionals at a very high level, and I don't see them making such basic mistakes week to week.

There's definitely some merit to what you're saying here. Watch back the games and see how often they pass the ball to each other but it's just a yard or two behind were it needs to be and kills momentum. A far too regular occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TheCitizen wrote: »
    A friendly against Andorra? Trying to get a win on the board I suppose.

That is the friendly we should have had instead of England. Get the monkey off the back and score a couple rather than going out and getting hockeyed. Silly decision imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

sugarman wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances it would have been, but with how rampant Covid was at the time and after it had infiltrated our camp I think they made the right call to play it safe and play England in Wembley rather than Bosnia or anyone else.

While it meant it defeat, it also meant our players all of whom were UK based bar Byrne at the time could meet in a central location with no flights involved. Train in their bubble for a few days. Get buses up to Cardiff, then a short chartered flight onwards to Dublin.

I understand the reasoning but there was no benefit in it for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

England were chosen because they were free after New Zealand pulled out. The Nation's League was still ongoing so other teams already had games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I bet you the Andorrans are ****ting themselves

i bet they're not....if they lose or draw to them, that will finish S K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

The only reason I bought them was specifically because they had no sponsor. A joke that there's been a sponsor on them for so long.

I hear you. I always try and buy my tops sponsorless as much as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Haha that was exactly my thought when I saw that. Hey someone we might be able to beat:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

eire4 wrote: »
    Haha that was exactly my thought when I saw that. Hey someone we might be able to beat:)

I can't remember a friendly against Andorra ever before. It must definitely be the plan. Maybe Spain was unavailable?

I looked up Andorra's last game Hungry beat them 4-1.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3495239

Andorra did manage to get a goal late on though.

If Ireland play that sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards stuff - while standing off when they lose possession - a 0-0 wouldn't be a bad bet?

Something to build on etc....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

sugarman wrote: »
    Completely agree with you there, players have shown it in the past when out of form or even completely out of the frame at their clubs they can come in and switch off and do well for Ireland. Keane comes to mind when frozen out at Spurs or Given when made #2 at City, or even Randolph now as #2 at West Ham.

Duffy just needs to keep his head down until the summer and take stock at what options are available.

A reunion with Chris Hughton at Forrest would probably get him back into form. Hes the type of manager that will heavily back him and have faith in him that will also play of a brand of football hes most suited to.
    I agree, we should never discount anyone. 99% of the players who put on the green shirt are giving everything they've got. Duffy has been a great player for us, we should never forget that, and no one has any right to take a pop at him.

At the same time, I really struggle to see a way back for him. He won't be at Brighton next year, and having seen his performances at Celtic, I'd be surprised to see him in the Premier League. He is still a good defender, I am sure there'll be someone in the Championship who will punt on him. But where does that leave him?

Egan is clearly favoured over him for starters. O'Shea has really stepped up for us and is at very least guaranteed to be in the squad. Clark is a decent defender, even if he's not my preferred option, I would have him over Duffy. We have Stevens and Coleman who've dropped into the back three and looked very comfortable. I can actually see both players maybe dropping back into the centre back position, especially Stevens, who doesn't look like he has the legs to play full back anymore. We haven't even mentioned the younger lads making waves. Burnley tried to buy Collins at Stoke twice during the window, seems only a matter of time until Collins steps up to Premier League level. We also have the criminally under-utilised Darragh Lenihan, team captain at Blackburn who play exactly the possession style that Kenny favours and has been getting rave reviews and is very stingy in conceding. I haven't even mentioned Kevin Long, another player who has never let us down, but at the same time has only ever been a fringe player at club level.

Again, we should never write off any player who wants to wear the shirt, but in the ranking of central defenders, I don't see Duffy making a squad at the moment.

I think Clarks time has finally passed and wouldn't be too put out to never see him in the squad again. injuries have probably caught up with him and it shows when Coleman whose not really a CB, and O'Shea whose only starting out his career at senior level put in better performances than him. Was hoping to see Long or Lenihan (it's a pity he'll probably never leave Blackburn) replace him.

Clark for me though will probably be kept in the squad because he's left footed and plays LCB at club level. If we had genuine options at LWB besides Stevens I'd rather see him playing LCB than Clark. Has played there numerous times for Sheffield United, and played there for Ireland in the qualifier against Switzerland.

Also don't buy the excuse that 3 at the back was preferred over 4 at the back because of the players that were unavailable, or something like that. Someone mentioned it the other day about what Kenny said his reasoning for going 3 at the back, and still claim that Barry had a big saw in our change of formation rather than the players that were available. Unless he meant we don't have the midfield players to play 4-3-3.

So if 3 at the back is going to be used more often in the future then he'll need to figure out which CBs will make up that back 3 and get Coleman back out playing wide. With us not having any play makers in the final third we need him more than ever getting forward and linking up with our attacking players in the final third.

I agree, we should never discount anyone. 99% of the players who put on the green shirt are giving everything they've got. Duffy has been a great player for us, we should never forget that, and no one has any right to take a pop at him.

At the same time, I really struggle to see a way back for him. He won't be at Brighton next year, and having seen his performances at Celtic, I'd be surprised to see him in the Premier League. He is still a good defender, I am sure there'll be someone in the Championship who will punt on him. But where does that leave him?

Egan is clearly favoured over him for starters. O'Shea has really stepped up for us and is at very least guaranteed to be in the squad. Clark is a decent defender, even if he's not my preferred option, I would have him over Duffy. We have Stevens and Coleman who've dropped into the back three and looked very comfortable. I can actually see both players maybe dropping back into the centre back position, especially Stevens, who doesn't look like he has the legs to play full back anymore. We haven't even mentioned the younger lads making waves. Burnley tried to buy Collins at Stoke twice during the window, seems only a matter of time until Collins steps up to Premier League level. We also have the criminally under-utilised Darragh Lenihan, team captain at Blackburn who play exactly the possession style that Kenny favours and has been getting rave reviews and is very stingy in conceding. I haven't even mentioned Kevin Long, another player who has never let us down, but at the same time has only ever been a fringe player at club level.

Again, we should never write off any player who wants to wear the shirt, but in the ranking of central defenders, I don't see Duffy making a squad at the moment.

You keep using this "rave reviews" phrase when talking about Lenihan. Where are these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I can't remember a friendly against Andorra ever before. It must definitely be the plan. Maybe Spain was unavailable?

I looked up Andorra's last game Hungry beat them 4-1.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3495239

Andorra did manage to get a goal late on though.

If Ireland play that sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards stuff - while standing off when they lose possession - a 0-0 wouldn't be a bad bet?

Something to build on etc....

In fairness Andorra aren't too far off our standard, I'd imagine they'll be fancying their chances.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

In fairness Andorra aren't too far off our standard, I'd imagine they'll be fancying their chances.

With our current form it's possible that Andorra could get a 0-0, especially looking at Andorra's recent results with the odd exception they've managed to keep the scoreline tight. After the Luxembourg result any complacency should be gone from the team so no real excuse if we can't beat Andorra.

You keep using this "rave reviews" phrase when talking about Lenihan. Where are these?
    https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-player-ratings-norwich-20221665

Darragh Lenihan - 8

Proper captain's showing. Commanded his back four excellently and was always present to mop up when necessary. Diligent to contain the threat and made a series of crucial interventions - the last ditch block to deny Pukki a highlight!

That's from his last game against Norwich, who're likely to win the league. He's consistently getting this sort of feedback and it ties up with what I've seen of him when playing too.

First ever senior start in the Norwich team for Omobamidele.

First ever senior start in the Norwich team for Omobamidele.

Are Norwich missing anyone that he's gotten the start today? Either way he's rated highly by Norwich and good to finally see him get a start.

• Advertisement

Are Norwich missing anyone that he's gotten the start today? Either way he's rated highly by Norwich and good to finally see him get a start.
    Looks like they are missing a few.

Farke: “I’m struggling to find 11 players"

Good news for him is Gibson's season is finished and Zimmerman is looking at 4-6 weeks out injured. Also speaking of injuries, Chidozie Ogbene is back in the Rotherham squad today after his long term injury.

Curtis had a very good game for Portsmouth today. He was playing as the lead forward and did a great job holding up play and linking up the midfield. His pressing in the first half caused Rochdale to make the mistake that Harness latched onto to setup the first goal. He got a goal himself shortly after from open play and was cool in his finish.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/brighton-could-offload-nine-stars-this-summer-including-percy-tau

Brighton could be having a clear-out this Summer, not surprising that Duffy will be top of the list. Molumby also features as he'll be going into the final year of his contract next year, and Brighton are already well-stocked with central midfielders. A permanent move away makes sense for him at this stage, he's going on 22 and has not been given a league start. Preston and Millwall both wanted to do a permanent deal in January but were knocked back. With all due respect to those clubs, I'd like to see him go elsewhere. Both are solid Championship teams, but neither really have the financial muscle to ever compete for promotion to the Premier League.

They'll find it hard to offload Duffy unless they're willing to lose a bit of money to get him out the door. Two years remaining on a 40k a week contract, and he's not gonna walk away from that contract to go somewhere for half the wages. Brighton might have to top up whatever another club is willing to pay Duffy.

Feel for Molumby if he finds himself not wanted at Brighton. Was on the cusp of the senior team at 18 before a horrible time with knee injuries kept him out for nearly two years. It's bad enough that Irish players are already so far behind the competition when they move over but to miss all that time with injuries on top of it, and at a stage in your career that you're still developing is tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Callum Robinson nets a cracking goal against Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Absolutely brilliant finish

Get the fack in, delighted for him.

That's his third of the season, all against Chelsea!

Dara O'Shea went off injured earlier on.

• Advertisement

Callum Robinson nets a cracking goal against Chelsea

https://twitter.com/KennysKids/status/1378331437695401986

Another goal for Robinson! He scores when he wants to, he scores when he wants to (as long as it's against Chelsea).

Really says something about the little mental details of performance though doesn't it? Just that extra little bit of confidence and self belief from having gone and done it before against a particular team seems to really raise a player's game and pushes them to play that bit closer to their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Evan Ferguson with a brace for Brighton U23 today against Liverpool. Seems to be getting on well there since moving over from Bohs

Connolly not even on the bench for Brighton. I'd say he was nowhere near ready to have played in that Serbia game.

• Advertisement

Lads, looking at those two goals Robinson scored yesterday and comparing them to him not being able to even kick the ball properly in a goalscoring position against Qatar the other night... The manager can't legislate for that. Kenny must be looking at that match yesterday thinking "why can't our players show that level of class and composure when in goalscoring positions for Ireland?"

I actually thought Robinson was one of our better players of the most recent international break but honestly can't understand how our players just look amateurish in front of goal when playing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lads, looking at those two goals Robinson scored yesterday and comparing them to him not being able to even kick the ball properly in a goalscoring position against Qatar the other night... The manager can't legislate for that. Kenny must be looking at that match yesterday thinking "why can't our players show that level of class and composure when in goalscoring positions for Ireland?"

I actually thought Robinson was one of our better players of the most recent international break but honestly can't understand how our players just look amateurish in front of goal when playing for us.

This crossed my mind earlier as well. His finishes yesterday were brilliant, didn't watch the whole game so don't know how he played generally. In fairness to Robinson I thought he was one of few players to come out positively from the past few games. But why can our players not seem to replicate their form at international level?

Some more highlights from Queen's Park.

I am starting to get a bit of a picture of Luca Connell. He really does remind me of a left footed Beckham. He attempts these wide sweeping passes/crosses from deep within his own midfield and is very much in the style of Beckham in his quarterback-era while he was at Madrid. That is where the high-level resemblances end though.

I can see why he never made the Celtic team as he's extremely niche in his ability for a defensive midfielder. He's not going to have the work rate, nor anticipation to break up opposition plays anywhere near like a Cullen. At the other end, he doesn't appear to have the athleticism to make those driving runs into the opposition area, like Hendrick in his past. He's got a great left foot, he can kick a ball, take corners and free-kick's, but I see nothing beyond that.

He's still quite young, only turning 20 in the next few weeks, so it's possible he can improve, but at this stage I find it highly unlikely. Generally speaking, 20 year olds don't go from playing Scottish 4th tier football to becoming Ireland internationals. While we are not the team we were, I think we are a bit better than what Connell provides. Knight for example is the same age as Connell, he's already a first team player in the Championship and contributing at a high level. At this moment, Luca Connell feels incredibly far of that sort of level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

This crossed my mind earlier as well. His finishes yesterday were brilliant, didn't watch the whole game so don't know how he played generally. In fairness to Robinson I thought he was one of few players to come out positively from the past few games. But why can our players not seem to replicate their form at international level?

He came on as a sub and played well but it's worth keeping in mind that this was against 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

No Declan Rice for the next while for West Ham so Conor Coventry might get a look in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement