Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nice assist from Coleman there, he's playing really well today for Everton.

No Declan Rice for the next while for West Ham so Conor Coventry might get a look in.
    Not even on the bench, needs to move this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Not even on the bench, needs to move this Summer.

Ah, might be injured. There are two keepers on the bench. Would wait to hear news anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Nice assist from Coleman there, he's playing really well today for Everton.

Lucky that Ireland have such an array of attacking talent that our tactical mastermind manager can pin him to the back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Bazunu dropped for Rochdale and they keep a CS for first time in awhile today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Nice goal by James Collins today

Curtis had a very good game for Portsmouth today. He was playing as the lead forward and did a great job holding up play and linking up the midfield. His pressing in the first half caused Rochdale to make the mistake that Harness latched onto to setup the first goal. He got a goal himself shortly after from open play and was cool in his finish.

Portsmouth highlights from the other day for anyone who's interested. Bazunu makes a mistake in the lead-up for the first goal, wonder is that why he was dropped today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bazunu dropped for Rochdale and they keep a CS for first time in awhile today

Helps when there's no shots on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Andrew Omobamidele starts for Norwich again. Live on Sky Sports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was MOTM the last day

Currently giving Huddersfield an absolute hiding

• Advertisement

Given their defence injuries he'll more than likely see the season out as a starter. Good opportunity for him to impress some clubs for a possible loan move next season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Given their defence injuries he'll more than likely see the season out as a starter. Good opportunity for him to impress some clubs for a possible loan move next season.

Unfortunately Richard Keogh is on the receiving end of this. 5 - 0 at halftime:pac::pac:. Pity Idah isn't around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Another 90 under his belt which is great for him. Seems like he was unduly troubled tonight anyway.

If people can't even get Hendrick's name right, how in the hell are they going to cope with Omobamidele?

In all seriousness, sounds like he's had two decent games but people shouldn't lose the run of themselves with the lad just yet. Norwich are a Rolls Royce of a team for this level in the Championship, the real test is going to come next season when Omobamidele is (hopefully) getting a few chances against Premier League teams.

We really do look to be well stocked with decent prospects for central defenders between himself, Collins and O'Shea. It's just a shame that we could transfer one of them to get a 10+ goal a season striker who's at a decent level.

Another defender is completely pointless to us.

In most of our games we're conceding less than 2 goals.

It's an unusual situation to be in but a new defender coming on stream doesn't help us at all right now.

It's an unusual situation to be in but a new defender coming on stream doesn't help us at all right now.

Our first choice backline is from Egan (28), Coleman (32), Duffy (29), O'Shea (22), Clarke (31) Stevens (30).

I cannot see any negatives in having a new young lad coming through.
    Would prefer a number 9 or number 10 but beggars can't be choosers

Exaggerating much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If people can't even get Hendrick's name right, how in the hell are they going to cope with Omobamidele?

In all seriousness, sounds like he's had two decent games but people shouldn't lose the run of themselves with the lad just yet. Norwich are a Rolls Royce of a team for this level in the Championship, the real test is going to come next season when Omobamidele is (hopefully) getting a few chances against Premier League teams.

We really do look to be well stocked with decent prospects for central defenders between himself, Collins and O'Shea. It's just a shame that we could transfer one of them to get a 10+ goal a season striker who's at a decent level.

Hendrix is so 2018 is all about Moulmphby now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I really don't understand how it could be so

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Our first choice backline is from Egan (28), Coleman (32), Duffy (29), O'Shea (22), Clarke (31) Stevens (30).

I cannot see any negatives in having a new young lad coming through.
    Would prefer a number 9 or number 10 but beggars can't be choosers

Ya I wouldn't call the emergence of another defender pointless. We'll be looking to the younger generation of defenders over the next few years to replace lads that are pushing on or not playing regularly.

Unfortunately the lads that are the hard working types will come through faster than the technical players, especially attacking players.

We'll be waiting awhile for the even younger generation, the lads who are around Kevin Zefi's age as they'd have come through the recent changes at underage level here. Idah and Parrott have potential to give us that 9 and 10 combo sooner, but people seem like they can't wait that long and are going to write them off, especially Parrott because they're not developing quick enough for our senior team.

I really don't understand how it could be so

Because we've barely scored a goal in two years.

A CB isnt going to improve our attacking options and we're doing ok defensively.
    Luxembourg beat us, but they only scored one goal.

I'm not saying he's not needed, I'm just saying its something that will help us least of all right now.

A CB isnt going to improve our attacking options and we're doing ok defensively.

I'm not saying he's not needed, I'm just saying its something that will help us least of all right now.

I mean you said he was completely pointless how does that not mean he's not needed

He's 18 and playing a couple of games because of lads out injured. Good chance that he might only play a handful of games next season in the cups if Norwich keep him at the club. Whether he's a CB or a CF it wouldn't make much difference to our senior team right now.

What difference are Connolly, Obafemi, Idah and Parrott making to our senior team and the lack of goals that we're scoring? These are actual lads playing games at senior level and not some lad whose getting games because of injuries. As I said there's a good chance Omobamidele will remain at Norwich to develop like Idah, and only play a handful of cup games next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

The more players we have coming through in any position the better. Obviously at the top end of the pitch is where we have trouble and we will just have to be patient.

Didn't see it mentioned but Evan Ferguson bagged two goals for Brighton U23s last week against Liverpool. Still only 16. Obviously still a long way off senior football but another one to keep an eye on.

henke wrote: »
    The more players we have coming through in any position the better. Obviously at the top end of the pitch is where we have trouble and we will just have to be patient.

Didn't see it mentioned but Evan Ferguson bagged two goals for Brighton U23s last week against Liverpool. Still only 16. Obviously still a long way off senior football but another one to keep an eye on.

He's a young 16 too, as he won't be 17 until October. His size is going to be a major advantage to him in making it professionally. Not sure of the ages of everyone else that was playing that match but he didn't look out of place size wise to the others. Then again he held his own at 15 playing against senior teams with Bohs in the games he featured in.

James Furlong was also playing in that game for Brighton. Turns 19 in the summer and was playing LM in Brightons 3-4-3.

• Advertisement

I mean you said he was completely pointless how does that not mean he's not needed

Sorry theres a bit of a difference.

I didnt say HE was completely pointless. Luca Connell is someone you could say is completely pointless playing in the lower Scottish leagues.

I said a CB is completely pointless.
    He could challenge and take one of our CB spots but in the grand scheme of thing it doesn't get us out of our hole.

I'm not saying anymore on it now.

The reference was to the position and not the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Sorry theres a bit of a difference.

I didnt say HE was completely pointless. Luca Connell is someone you could say is completely pointless playing in the lower Scottish leagues.

I said a CB is completely pointless.
    He could challenge and take one of our CB spots but in the grand scheme of thing it doesn't get us out of our hole.

I'm not saying anymore on it now.

The reference was to the position and not the player.

I think that's for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

No question we badly need someone who can play up top and creative attacking midfielders as we currently have not even a single genuine top quality international class player in those positions. But the fact is that we have the worst Ireland squad since the 68-71 team IMHO and that we need quality in every area. Yes we have a few decent defenders and thats great but even there Coleman currently IMHO our best player is 32 so not going to be around that much longer and the other defenders while decent are nothing special so there really for me is no area of our team we look all set in bar maybe the keeper position both now and looking longer term looks ok.

Is Omobamidele a centre back or a right back? We will be needing a replacement for Coleman at some stage. Doherty has been a disappointment for Ireland

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is Omobamidele a centre back or a right back? We will be needing a replacement for Coleman at some stage. Doherty has been a disappointment for Ireland

Omobamidele is a centre back.

I think people are massively overreacting to Doherty's performances in the last international break. It seems to be a case of "well he played poorly in his preferred position so let's write him off". I would be confident in saying he'll be an important player for a few years to come.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »

He's a CB, you'd be looking at Lee O'Connor or Festy Ebosele as possible replacements for Coleman, but these lads are 20 and 18. So we'll be waiting awhile.

Even if Nuno brought Doherty back to Wolves in the morning, went back playing how they did and Doherty returned to his Wolves I'd still be weary of picking him over Coleman. Doherty is more brawn than brains, while Coleman is more brains than brawn. That's why to me Lee O'Connor would be a replacement for Coleman, as McNamara at Millwall would be similar to Doherty.

We haven't got any players with brains in the final third. It's all hard working lads. It's why Coleman could probably be moved into midfield and still be our best player.

eire4 wrote: »
    No question we badly need someone who can play up top and creative attacking midfielders as we currently have not even a single genuine top quality international class player in those positions. But the fact is that we have the worst Ireland squad since the 68-71 team IMHO and that we need quality in every area. Yes we have a few decent defenders and thats great but even there Coleman currently IMHO our best player is 32 so not going to be around that much longer and the other defenders while decent are nothing special so there really for me is no area of our team we look all set in bar maybe the keeper position both now and looking longer term looks ok.

It really shows how much the FAI have neglected football here in Ireland when you gotta go back to the 88-93 age group to find our last truly quality international class player. Someone that makes other players around him look better.

The 93-98 age group you might as well forget about them and it's still early days for the lads in the 98-03 age group. Kelleher could make it at a top club, Nathan Collins and Bazunu too. But it's still too early to see how their careers are going to pan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

It really shows how much the FAI have neglected football here in Ireland when you gotta go back to the 88-93 age group to find our last truly quality international class player. Someone that makes other players around him look better.

The 93-98 age group you might as well forget about them and it's still early days for the lads in the 98-03 age group. Kelleher could make it at a top club, Nathan Collins and Bazunu too. But it's still too early to see how their careers are going to pan out.

No question about it the FAI for so long all but completely neglected putting in place in Ireland a pathway and development infrastructure that would see us producing on a fairly consistent basis some kind of decent flow of players who could compete and some even flourish at the games highest levels. Delaney's FAI of course was a disaster but to be fair this issue predates him. The FAI simply abdicated the responsibility to put in place a pathway for players to grow within Ireland and assumed that the clubs in England would do it for us and of course now in the years since the TV money first changed that landscape in the 1990's that has changed and dried up to a large extent hence we now find ourselves so far behind in terms of being able to bring through players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Omobamidele should play for Nigeria. Let's not hold the poor lad back. If you love someone set them free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Both his parents are Irish citizens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

His ma is Irish, he was born and raised here and played his way up through the ranks here. He'll play for us.

eire4 wrote: »
    No question about it the FAI for so long all but completely neglected putting in place in Ireland a pathway and development infrastructure that would see us producing on a fairly consistent basis some kind of decent flow of players who could compete and some even flourish at the games highest levels. Delaney's FAI of course was a disaster but to be fair this issue predates him. The FAI simply abdicated the responsibility to put in place a pathway for players to grow within Ireland and assumed that the clubs in England would do it for us and of course now in the years since the TV money first changed that landscape in the 1990's that has changed and dried up to a large extent hence we now find ourselves so far behind in terms of being able to bring through players.

And it's one of the differences between us, and other countries like Scotland. They've got some decent players in that 93-98 age group, and four of them just happen to be Robertson, Tierney, McTominay and McGinn. Three of them already play for clubs that regularly compete in Europe, and McGinn is a good player who could make the step up.

You look at ours and who would be the stand out players, maybe Robinson and Cullen. Two players that weren't even developed by us. Made worse by the fact that two international quality players we did have decided to play for England instead, also another two guys developed in England.

The next age group might actually give us some decent international players and possibly lads that might play regularly in Europe. But we're still a few years away from that and the decline will continue to happen until these lads develop more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This may be old news but I didn't know about it anyway. Mark Sykes is switching to the Republic from Northern Ireland. He plays for Oxford United. It says he even trained with us before the England game. So maybe everyone knew this but me! :pac:

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/footballsoccer/2021/04/07/news/-i-m-an-irish-person---i-want-to-play-for-the-republic-of-ireland-it-s-that-simple---mark-sykes-2279427/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

And it's one of the differences between us, and other countries like Scotland. They've got some decent players in that 93-98 age group, and four of them just happen to be Robertson, Tierney, McTominay and McGinn. Three of them already play for clubs that regularly compete in Europe, and McGinn is a good player who could make the step up.

You look at ours and who would be the stand out players, maybe Robinson and Cullen. Two players that weren't even developed by us. Made worse by the fact that two international quality players we did have decided to play for England instead, also another two guys developed in England.

The next age group might actually give us some decent international players and possibly lads that might play regularly in Europe. But we're still a few years away from that and the decline will continue to happen until these lads develop more.

I think read that Alan Browne is the only player in the recent squad in that age group who was developed here

I think read that Alan Browne is the only player in the recent squad in that age group who was developed here

Manning, Lenihan and Curtis would also have been developed here. Two lads that are content with their mid table championship teams, Curtis in League One and Manning with Swansea. Would these lads even make the Scotland squad when compared to Scotland's players in the same age group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

. It's just a shame that we could transfer one of them to get a 10+ goal a season striker who's at a decent level.

A half decent striker would make a world of difference to the tactics Kenny is trying to do.
    It is not going to come from a fella from another nationality decalring that is for sure.

At the moment if you had Irish connections would you be thinking about playing for Ireland? They are that low now if I was a young lad from England with tenuous Irish connections, I would be looking to play fo NI not the ROI.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

4 of our last 10 goals have been scored by defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Should have taken something from the game....we shipped a seriously sloppy goal, a rank bad goalkeeping error and missed a few very decent chances...

Referee and assistant totally fûcked us over too, the Danish keeper should have been sent off in the first half, deliberately handling the ball outside the box... probably made initial contact with the ball in error but that doesn’t matter... a second grab for the ball on the ground outside the box to move it back into the box was the more obvious and clear offense but the ref was seeing stars not cards.

A half decent striker would make a world of difference to the tactics Kenny is trying to do.
    It is not going to come from a fella from another nationality decalring that is for sure.

At the moment if you had Irish connections would you be thinking about playing for Ireland? They are that low now if I was a young lad from England with tenuous Irish connections, I would be looking to play fo NI not the ROI.

And we'll be waiting awhile if that half decent striker is going to be one we developed.

If I was a young lad from England with tenuous links to Ireland I'd be staying at home and forgetting about international football. Because if you're idea is I'd like to play at a tournament you'll probably be waiting awhile. They're similar to us in that they've an aging squad, and not sure who'd their younger players are that will replace these lads.

Though the big advantage they now have over us is lads can still move over to the UK at 16, and with Northern Ireland having a full time academy their young players will be going over to English clubs with a few years of full time training already under the belt. If they can't bring the best players within the EU into their clubs at 16 anymore, then they'll probably be looking more closely at the likes of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales for 16 yr olds.

McClean out for the season, Michael O'Neill says he should never have been in the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

McClean out for the season, Michael O'Neill says he should never have been in the Ireland squad.

Seemed nuts the amount of game time he got - especially starting a feckin' friendly - when he was in a recovery boot only days before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Seemed nuts the amount of game time he got - especially starting a feckin' friendly - when he was in a recovery boot only days before.

What were Stoke medical team and O’Neill at letting him hook up with the Ireland squad ?

McClean just is a player who’d probably play through a broken cerebellum but fûck that, poor all round and WE loose the player, as do Stoke.

Stoke don’t like Kenny calling him up, they can refer it to FIFA's Players' Status Committee.... an independent medical assessment takes place, he fails the assessment... no call up..

If I was McClean and Stephen Kenny was insisting I played through an injury I’d right there and then retire, issue a statement outlining events and conversations which I’d ensure would be in text / email format, bad signal etc... and say ‘ this is what we are dealing with ‘...

Mc Clean, 31 and capped 80 times, he’s not an injury spoofer... he’ll win 100 caps and yet has to put up with this crap from amateur Arnold... right..

Shows a complete lack of understanding of McCleans motives. He bleeds green. He would do anything to play for Ireland more so than anyone else in the squad. If everyone on the team had his motivation we would not be in the hole we are in.

Stoke have no one to blame but themselves if they're saying now he wasn't fit enough for international duty. Why not before the squads were named, or ask Kenny to only play him in the competitive games and not the friendly.

International managers will usually always take the concerns of club managers on board, as long as they're not taking the piss like Everton used to do when they'd moan about their players.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    What were Stoke medical team and O’Neill at letting him hook up with the Ireland squad ?

McClean just is a player who’d probably play through a broken cerebellum but fûck that, poor all round and WE loose the player, as do Stoke.

Stoke don’t like Kenny calling him up, they can refer it to FIFA's Players' Status Committee.... an independent medical assessment takes place, he fails the assessment... no call up..

If I was McClean and Stephen Kenny was insisting I played through an injury I’d right there and then retire, issue a statement outlining events and conversations which I’d ensure would be in text / email format, bad signal etc... and say ‘ this is what we are dealing with ‘...

Mc Clean, 31 and capped 80 times, he’s not an injury spoofer... he’ll win 100 caps and yet has to put up with this crap from amateur Arnold... right..

He and his club have a right to be angry about that. He starts him on the bench for the two competitive fixtures, throws him in v Qatar and he’s not fully fit. Taking advantage of his commitment to Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement