Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Nathan Collins to Burnley rumours aren't going away.

I think it would be a good move for him, he gets to step up in class, he should be guaranteed first team football, and he'll be working under a good manager at a stable club.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/burnley-transfer-collins-stoke-gibson-20482467

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

sugarman wrote: »
    I dont think there would be any guarantees of first team football at all, as long as Tarkowski and Mee are still there anyway.

Long and Dunne are both of contract this summer and will probably be let leave and whoever else comes in will be their replacement as 3rd / 4th choice.

I would say there is a good chance Tarkowski will leave Burnley. He has rejected a new contract offer and it really just comes down to who will buy him I would say this summer from the sounds of things at the moment That can of course change but there does seem to be a very strong chance he will be gone by the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The Nathan Collins to Burnley rumours aren't going away.

I think it would be a good move for him, he gets to step up in class, he should be guaranteed first team football, and he'll be working under a good manager at a stable club.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/burnley-transfer-collins-stoke-gibson-20482467

Would be a great move. I would say guaranteed at all. If Tarkowski leaves then they are likely to bring in 2 centre half's

I dont think there would be any guarantees of first team football at all, as long as Tarkowski and Mee are still there anyway.

Long and Dunne are both of contract this summer and will probably be let leave and whoever else comes in will be their replacement as 3rd / 4th choice.
    Tarkowski looks set to leave, he's in the last year of his contract and won't renew. It's looking like Burnley will take what they can for him now rather than let him leave on a free.

Dunne is out of contract, but Long did renew his earlier this year.

My guess is that Dyche sees Mee + Collins (if rumours are true) as his two first choice centre backs with Long as first choice back-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would be a ballsy move if Dyche sees Collins as a starting CB, and would also show how highly rated he is given O'Shea is the youngest CB in the league currently (pretty sure I read that he was the youngest playing regularly) and he's two years older than Collins.

Burnley would be a good Premier League club for Collins to continue his development at though. Surprised there's been no more rumours about United being interested, especially now that Darren Fletcher is involved with them officially. He'd previously recommended Collins to Ole after he left Stoke.

Two other Irish lads in the transfer rumours today are Jamie McGrath and Andrew Moran. McGrath is supposedly being looked at by Aberdeen and a few clubs in England with Peterborough being one of them. Has had a good season so far with St Mirren. Scored a few goals, even if they came from the penalty spot and should hopefully be in the training camp for Spain if he doesn't go for shoulder surgery.

Andrew Moran (17) is supposedly being looked at by United and Chelsea after a great first season with Brighton's U18s after moving over from Bray last summer. Has scored 11 goals and 11 assists in 22games so far this season playing mostly as an attacking midfielder but can also play across the front three.

Up with their U23s now, but Brighton have an experienced U23s and Moran is a lot smaller than Ferguson whose a year younger but starts for Brighton U23s so will probably continue to play from the brnch Either way it's great to see a young lad whose just moved over to England attracting some interest from bigger clubs

• Advertisement

Tarkowski looks set to leave, he's in the last year of his contract and won't renew. It's looking like Burnley will take what they can for him now rather than let him leave on a free.

Dunne is out of contract, but Long did renew his earlier this year.

My guess is that Dyche sees Mee + Collins (if rumours are true) as his two first choice centre backs with Long as first choice back-up.

Ben Gibson is also due to come back from his loan with Norwich. Though luckily his contract is up next summer there so Burnley could luck to move him on if he's no interested in signing a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Draw for the 2023 Women's World Cup was this lunch time.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1388100283516002308?s=19

That a good draw anyone know? Sweden heavy favourites I'd imagine

That a good draw anyone know? Sweden heavy favourites I'd imagine

Both Sweden and Finland qualified for next year's Euros unbeaten in their groups, and Slovakia finished third in their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

545 cases and 4 deaths. High numbers in Dublin

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1388122710182699010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

wadacrack wrote: »
    545 cases and 4 deaths. High numbers in Dublin

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1388122710182699010

there's enough misery in this thread as it is:D

• Advertisement

Both Sweden and Finland qualified for next year's Euros unbeaten in their groups, and Slovakia finished third in their group.

Yes I thought it looked like a very tough draw. While the women are in better shape overall then the men I do not see us qualifying even for the playoff in second place.

Curtis had a goal and 2 assists today, he is different gravy at this level and I could see a Championship club coming in for him if Portsmouth don't go up. Taylor is going up with Peterborough, looks good as well. I those two and Scully are the pick of the bunch of our players in League 1 and probably deserve a call up for the June internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Scully should have been in the last squad ahead of Curtis and Parrott. He's been excellent the second half of this season, has really found his feet playing in a team week in /out. Really hope they go up.

Curtis gets into our squad as a wide forward, so I think that's grand, but Scully has to be ahead of Parrott at the moment alright, given that he's vastly outperforming Troy at the same level. Don't think all the attention and pressure does Parrott any favours either. Best thing for him for the moment is for him to go back to playing well at U21 level, and getting another decent loan spell for next season. When he starts scoring at club level, he can come back to the senior setup.

Scully should have been in the last squad ahead of Curtis and Parrott. He's been excellent the second half of this season, has really found his feet playing in a team week in /out. Really hope they go up.

His stats are even better when you break it down into minutes played. He's started 21of the 38 games he's featured in and scores a goal every second game, compared to Curtis whose started 35 of the 41 games he's featured in and scores a goal every third game. Hopefully Lincoln goes up because he's contracted for another two seasons, thought he was out of contract but seems Transfermarkt never updated it and he signed a new one back at the start of the year.

Parrott needs to be taken out of the limelight for a bit, because the expectations being put on him to score goals and be our next Robbie Keane are too much. All you gotta do is watch the underage games to see the lads a number 10, and not a number 9. He's more David McGoldrick than anything, and even Kenny himself said it that Parrott is probably the closet we have to him in style of play, but he's too inexperienced to lead the line like McGoldrick did, and even Idah struggled with it when he was asked to play in the nation's league.

Let's hope there's no injury concerns amongst some of the younger lads for the training camp. Taylor did go off yesterday with a knock, but with Peterborough promoted they don't really need him and might let him rest up. Hopefully the play offs aren't used as a reason to not select someone like Scully, who as you said should have been in the last squad, and has been our most impressive younger striker in that 98-02 age group.

Ciaran Clark starts for Newcastle against Arsenal, with Jeff Hendrick warming the bench again. Has played a 103mins in three league games since February 6th for Newcastle. Surely this lad must be the biggest disappointment for us in the last five years since he got his premier league move. Yes Brady had more talent, but injuries have plagued him and imo should take a break from international football to focus on staying fit at club level. James McCarthy similar.

I see Williams made his debut for LA Galaxy tonight. They were beaten 3-0 and he was subbed at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dara O’Shea went off early for West Brom tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Dara O’Shea went off early for West Brom tonight

Well it was because of Sam changing tactics after 30 mins. Felt sorry for Dara

Well it was because of Sam changing tactics after 30 mins. Felt sorry for Dara

A Big Sam masterclass in tactics right there. I'd be pissed off if I was O'Shea. Didn't watch it but see it mentioned that he'd the most touches of the ball for the whole team before taken off, and that Ajayi almost cost them a goal minutes before O'Shea was taken off to switch to a back four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sad news... Galway Bay FM
    SOCCER: Former Republic of Ireland International Alan McLoughlin Passes Away
    Sport GBFM

Galway Bay FM has learned that Irish soccer legend Alan McLoughlin has passed away at the age of 54.

He revealed in March that he suffering from cancer. He was first diagnosed with a kidney tumour in 2012 that was successfully removed.

McLoughlin scored that famous goal in Windsor Park in 1993 that sent the Jack Charlton’s Republic of Ireland to the USA World Cup the following year.

It was one of two goals he scored in 42 international appearances between 1990 and 1999.

Alan’s dad Paddy, who passed away earlier this year, was originally from Cloonkeely, near Kilbannon, just outside Tuam; before emigrating to Manchester.

Alan began his football career as a trainee with Manchester United in 1983 before turning professional two years later.

He made 109 appearances for Swindon Town; but his most notable club stint was with Portsmouth between 1992 and 1999 – scoring 54 goals in 309 outings.

For Irish soccer fans, he will always be best known for that equaliser against Northern Ireland in the World Cup qualifier at Windsor Park.

Galway Bay FM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sad to hear although not unexpected. He scored one of the legendary goals in Irish football. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ciaran Clark starts for Newcastle against Arsenal, with Jeff Hendrick warming the bench again. Has played a 103mins in three league games since February 6th for Newcastle. Surely this lad must be the biggest disappointment for us in the last five years since he got his premier league move. Yes Brady had more talent, but injuries have plagued him and imo should take a break from international football to focus on staying fit at club level. James McCarthy similar.

Same for 20 years. Just when we think a nucleus of good players is finally coming through it never goes anywhere really and they don't match the hype. Rinse, repeat.

That's the thing for a country like ours. We need golden generations to achieve anything and they don't happen often if ever.

I'm envious of Wales the last few years actually who were really lucky they got a decent crop at the same time.

They too will go back to where they were in the wilderness like us but they've made use of what they have for now.

Hoping the same will happen for us eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sad to hear although not unexpected. He scored one of the legendary goals in Irish football. RIP

The most important goal I have ever seen.

Same for 20 years. Just when we think a nucleus of good players is finally coming through it never goes anywhere really and they don't match the hype. Rinse, repeat.

That's the thing for a country like ours. We need golden generations to achieve anything and they don't happen often if ever.

I'm envious of Wales the last few years actually who were really lucky they got a decent crop at the same time.

They too will go back to where they were in the wilderness like us but they've made use of what they have for now.

Hoping the same will happen for us eventually.

I get what your saying there about special groups coming through for small countries. But you have to put in place the proper footballing infrastructure to nurture and bring through your most promising players. The FAI for decades completely abdicated that role and as a result when the market changed negatively for our kids chances in the epl we had nothing at home to help young kids to have a chance to be successful in the modern game and that has resulted in us falling further and further behind and left us in the pathetic state we are with the worst Irish team since the 1968-71 run of failure. What we have is a patch work of some parts of the needed infrastructure but nothing fully developed and as far as I know absolutely no plan in place to at least build up over a period the needed player pathway infrastructure from the FAI. The game has moved on and unless we get our act together other then the odd good group failure will be the norm for Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

eire4 wrote: »
    I get what your saying there about special groups coming through for small countries. But you have to put in place the proper footballing infrastructure to nurture and bring through your most promising players. The FAI for decades completely abdicated that role

The Irish public also mostly abdicated their role in supporting Irish domestic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Are they lucky or have they just put good structures in place?

In Cardiff and Swansea they have 2 biggish clubs who bounce between Premier league and championship whose academies are probably light years ahead of anything we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

deisedude wrote: »
    Are they lucky or have they just put good structures in place?

In Cardiff and Swansea they have 2 biggish clubs who bounce between Premier league and championship whose academies are probably light years ahead of anything we have

Or anything in the Welsh premier league i would imagine... tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote: »
    Or anything in the Welsh premier league i would imagine... tbf

It doesn't matter if the Welsh league academies are sh1t if all their best young players are getting coached by professional coaches at Swansea and Cardiff academies. It's an advantage we can't readily replicate because yes they are lucky those teams are in the English pyramid.

Really we should be trying to follow what the likes of Iceland have done. 70% of all their coaches have UEFA B licenses and I'm copy pasting this but since 2000, Iceland has built seven full-sized indoor football halls, 20 outdoor heated fields, a handful of half-sized indoor arenas, and 150 mini-pitches.

Iceland has the population of Cork

Really we should be trying to follow what the likes of Iceland have done. 70% of all their coaches have UEFA B licenses and I'm copy pasting this but since 2000, Iceland has built seven full-sized indoor football halls, 20 outdoor heated fields, a handful of half-sized indoor arenas, and 150 mini-pitches.

But where did the money come from to pay for those facilities?

But where did the money come from to pay for those facilities?

Amazing how much money you can save when you don't pay ridiculously over the top wages to managers or have an administrator paying himself more than the US president

Amazing how much money you can save when you don't pay ridiculously over the top wages to managers or have an administrator paying himself more than the US president

Id say it’s more likely the money came from government to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Id say it’s more likely the money came from government to be honest.

Our government wastes too much money. We could have world class facilities if we could do things at the same cost as the Germans/Dutch/Austrians etc. Unfortunately here due to waste everything costs more so there is nothing left over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It doesn't matter if the Welsh league academies are sh1t if all their best young players are getting coached by professional coaches at Swansea and Cardiff academies. It's an advantage we can't readily replicate because yes they are lucky those teams are in the English pyramid.

Iceland has the population of Cork

Iceland doesn't have a bunch of pricks in it for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Iceland doesn't have a bunch of pricks in it for themselves.

I'm sure an Icelander would have plenty of bad things to say about their govt.

One big difference is they're not ploughing money into horse racing, greyhound racing, the GAA etc. Soccer is well down the pecking order here.

loyatemu wrote: »
    One big difference is they're not ploughing money into horse racing, greyhound racing, the GAA etc. Soccer is well down the pecking order here.

Or maybe (and this is a controversial one) share facilities between sports

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Or maybe (and this is a controversial one) share facilities between sports

Nail on the head!!

For a country of our size not to have community facilities where resources and facilities are pooled is madness. Separate funding/grounds/facilities for GAA, Rugby and Soccer etc. is utter madness. All councils should have been building municipal grounds with all facilities and shared dressing rooms/gyms swimming pools etc.

Heard from a Physio i go to that in the National sports campus (he works with the IRFU) that as long as he has been going to the national sports campus he has never seen a team us the GAA facilities there, and he would be there for 6/7/8 week blocks and has never seen anyone on the pitches but of course the GAA insisted on having GAA pitches in the Facility and then dont use them. A bit typical of that organisation....

The Irish public also mostly abdicated their role in supporting Irish domestic football.

That is true yes but it does not change the fact that the FAI decades ago walked away from having any inclination to putting in place the proper development pathway for our best young 12-17 year olds so that they could have a good chance to succeed at the top level as professionals which would in turn ensure we would at least consistently have a respectable national team and maybe even one that could play a brand of football that was actually enjoyable to watch.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-rooney-sets-sights-on-signing-45k-a-week-celtic-loanee-if-derby-stay-up/

Duffy to Derby doing the rounds today. Would be a decent move for him and hopefully get him playing regular again.

• Advertisement

If Duffy wants to get back to his pre 2020 form then he should take a massive pay cut, and find himself a good move rather than joining a club like Derby because they'll match your current wages, if that rumour has some truths behind it. Like there's clubs coming up from league one that are in better shape than Derby, on and off the pitch.

Also wouldn't call it a good move for someone that's bombed at Celtic, a team that dominated their league and try to play football, to a team that are one game away from league one and have Wayne Rooney as their current manager. Should be looking for a team with an experienced manager like Cardiff, West Brom etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If Duffy wants to get back to his pre 2020 form then he should take a massive pay cut, and find himself a good move rather than joining a club like Derby because they'll match your current wages, if that rumour has some truths behind it. Like there's clubs coming up from league one that are in better shape than Derby, on and off the pitch.

Also wouldn't call it a good move for someone that's bombed at Celtic, a team that dominated their league and try to play football, to a team that are one game away from league one and have Wayne Rooney as their current manager. Should be looking for a team with an experienced manager like Cardiff, West Brom etc.

In fairness, Celtic have bombed this year in general.

noodler wrote: »
    In fairness, Celtic have bombed this year in general.

Celtic have been poor, but still finished 14 points ahead of Hibs in third. The situation Derby are in makes Celtics season look like just a bad day at the office instead of the **** show that it was.

Duffy needs to find a manager that can build his confidence back up, and doubt he'd get that at Derby under Rooney. Hopefully for us Derby will get relegated anyway and Knight can move on to a better club and continue his development under a more experienced manager.

Duffy needs to find a manager that can build his confidence back up, and doubt he'd get that at Derby under Rooney.

Shane Duffy is 29. He should be a mentor and an example for young lads on the team building up their confidence rather being the equivalent himself.

At his age his next move will be his last one so he needs to find a club that will pay him as much as possible for as long as possible.

At his age his next move will be his last one so he needs to find a club that will pay him as much as possible for as long as possible.

Then he might as well tog out with Brighton's U23s for the next two years because no one is going to be paying him anywhere close to what he's getting at Brighton.

Ronan Curtis being linked with Reading, Blackburn, Derby and possibly Brentford. Though the Brentford links might be more from last summer with Benrahma moving to West Ham.

Ronan Curtis being linked with Reading, Blackburn, Derby and possibly Brentford. Though the Brentford links might be more from last summer with Benrahma moving to West Ham.
    Must be some substance to the rumours because the manager has come out and said they want to keep him.

I've watched Curtis a few times for Portsmouth now, have to say he's the best attacker they've got and too good to be playing in League 1. I get the feeling he might push for a move if Portsmouth don't go up in the play-off's. He's 25 and in the prime of his career and he wasn't happy about not getting some minutes for the March internationals. It seems like getting into the Irish team is important, and I don't think it's lost on him that playing in League 1 doesn't give him the best chance of playing.

Then he might as well tog out with Brighton's U23s for the next two years because no one is going to be paying him anywhere close to what he's getting at Brighton.

Is he not out of contract in June?

Is he not out of contract in June?

No, he's contracted until June 2023.

No, he's contracted until June 2023.

Could well be another loan deal then

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement