Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Derby's legal advisor should be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Keogh was culpable in the whole thing and should have known better. But if Derby had been genuine they would have sacked all 3 players.

The fact they didn't and offered to let Keogh stay on a pittance shows it was purely about shifting a high earner that they didn't want to pay while he was crocked for a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Keogh was culpable in the whole thing and should have known better. But if Derby had been genuine they would have sacked all 3 players.

The fact they didn't and offered to let Keogh stay on a pittance shows it was purely about shifting a high earner that they didn't want to pay while he was crocked for a year.

I would be interested to see the wording of his contract. I would have thought Derby would have ensured their case was water tight before making a decision like that. Poor legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would be interested to see the wording of his contract. I would have thought Derby would have ensured their case was water tight before making a decision like that. Poor legal advice.

In fairness looking at all the stuff going on there it's no surprise they didn't have a clue what they were doing legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://twitter.com/paulnealon2508/status/1392213437917405186

You'd assume John Joe Finn would also be in the squad if fit given he's also based in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Excellent, in the absence of creative players , cerebral players will be key to our long term success

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Real Monarchs

What a stupid name for a team. Real meaning Royal in spanish so Royal Monarchs? Has there ever been a monarch that wasn't royal?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Richie Towell leaving Salford and heading back to Ireland according to his Insta. Dundalk again I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

DuffleBag wrote:
    Richie Towell leaving Salford and heading back to Ireland according to his Insta. Dundalk again I suppose?

Thought it was confirmed he was heading to Shamrock Rovers at the end of the season a few months ago?

• Advertisement

Thought it was confirmed he was heading to Shamrock Rovers at the end of the season a few months ago?

It was. He is going to Rovers. Announced a few weeks ago.
    Dundalk could do with him

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1392395454734864384

Confirmed by a more reliable source. Surely this will have a knock on effect now to other players who were thought to be eligible but weren't. The change in rules happened last September and some lads are only finding out now about their new eligible from the rule change.

And in true Irish fashion his season has been affected with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

And in true Irish fashion his season has been affected with injuries.
    Yep, he's definitely eligible for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

He'll still somehow end up in a midfield with Grealish and Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

sugarman wrote: »
    Kelleher back in full training as of today

caoimhin-kelleher-of-liverpool-during-a-training-session-at-axa-on-picture-id1317476396?k=6&m=1317476396&s=612x612&w=0&h=jXsfVXg8MBMAcTSDZLeeq4QVYMR7-I2_u27Bl_PL9OE=

Well that’s good, I was beginning to think something was up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A 17 year old Irish kid just scored against Liverpool in the FA Youth cup for Ipswich. Edwin Agbaje, from Offaly.

Goalkeeping error more than anything to be honest, but it was still a good powerful header from the edge of the box that made the keeper fluff it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I have seen this article about Mipo Odubeko switching allegiance but haven't found any other information online to say that it is true. Its a Nigerian football website so are they trying to influence him or do they know something?

It says "Mipo's family wants him to represent the Nigeria national teams and the talented center forward is open to picking the Super Eagles over the Three Lions and The Boys in Green."

Be very disappointing if he does switch

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=39858

I have seen this article about Mipo Odubeko switching allegiance but haven't found any other information online to say that it is true. Its a Nigerian football website so are they trying to influence him or do they know something?

It says "Mipo's family wants him to represent the Nigeria national teams and the talented center forward is open to picking the Super Eagles over the Three Lions and The Boys in Green."

Na the Nigerian websites are always posting articles like that. They're worse than us for trying to claim players who probably have no interest in them whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A good week for Richard Keogh, he is in talks to extend his stay at Huddersfield into the next season - https://www.htafc.com/news/2021/may/retained-list-confirmed/

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1392771992097546244

Looking at four to five months out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

He's made one sub appearance for the senior team and has had an under-23s game once a week. How exhausting.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to make the training camp with the under 21s this summer. If there's another bullsh!t excuse about being tired... then we can just draw our conclusions from that. Dedication whether down to one's national affiliation or not is the overriding factor. If you're 18 and you want to play for Ireland then you go on the training camp.

Looks like Anderlecht's lingering hope at finishing second and getting into the Champions League qualifier ended today as Anderlecht were beaten 2-1 by Genk, conceding a header from a last minute set-piece. Cullen played the entire 90 minutes and was decent and reliable. It was a real physical affair between two closely matched teams, and Cullen certainly wasn't found missing. I think he racked up the second most passes in the game according to the in-game stats. The only criticism I'd have (and it holds true for his season in general) is that I'd like to have seen him create a little more than he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

James Collins is in demand, Middlesborough are leading the chase to sign him ahead of Bristol City and Cardiff.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9582437/Luton-striker-James-Collins-wanted-Middlesbrough-Cardiff-Bristol-City-free-transfer.html

• Advertisement

Wolfsburgs Sporting Director Jörg Schmadtke has downplayed the rumours surrounding Anselmo Garcia McNulty. Says there's been no contact from any clubs. That the plan is for McNulty to train with the seniors next season, and possibly move on loan to SKN St. Pölten who've they've partnered up with since they've cancelled their U23s team.

SKN St. Pölten were relegated to the 2nd tier of the Austrian league this season.

Could be the possibility that he remains at Liverpool as second choice if they qualify for the Europa League rather than the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even with Maupay suspended Connolly couldn't get a game. Tau and Zeqiri brought on instead.

Mcgeady to Peterborough rumours doing the rounds today.

Best thing Brighton can do is send Connolly out on loan. He's still only 21 and developing, whereas the other forwards at Brighton are at least 26 and older bar Maupay who'll be 25 in August and
    Zeqiri who'll be 22 next month.

Three of the four championship play off teams would suit Connolly, unfortunately Brentford don't really loan players as they prefer to develop their own talent.

A season or even two on loan and he'll still only be 23 at most, but he'll also return with a ton of experience from playing week in week out (barring injuries). Otherwise they might as well sell him and get a few quid at least and use the money to improve your forward options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aurier out and Doherty still sitting on the bench against his old club. Needs a move this summer, wonder if Wolves would take him back.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Aurier out and Doherty still sitting on the bench against his old club. Needs a move this summer, wonder if Wolves would take him back.

Hes 3rd choice RB for a while now.

As usual some just blamed Jose but the change of manager hasnt promoted Doherty, hes simply gak in a back 4 regardless of manager.

Wolves spent big on Semedo so he cant go back. His best hope of PL football next year is Brighton if they sell Lamptey and keep using wing-backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hes 3rd choice RB for a while now.

As usual some just blamed Jose but the change of manager hasnt promoted Doherty, hes simply gak in a back 4 regardless of manager.

Wolves spent big on Semedo so he cant go back. His best hope of PL football next year is Brighton if they sell Lamptey and keep using wing-backs.

Yeah I should have included the point about the new manager. As you say, many on here said Jose was at fault for it all, but he’s been dross since he went there.

He's got three years left on a 60k a week contract and turns 30 next season. He ain't going anywhere.

He's got three years left on a 60k a week contract and turns 30 next season. He ain't going anywhere.

Well yeah he can stay happy out on the bench and just top up the pension. Spurs are supposedly looking for new full backs and Aurier probably the one thats easier to move. Doherty would have to want to actually leave so he could play games. At least Ireland are sorted at RB so doesnt harm us.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well yeah he can stay happy out on the bench and just top up the pension. Spurs are supposedly looking for new full backs and Aurier probably the one thats easier to move. Doherty would have to want to actually leave so he could play games. At least Ireland are sorted at RB so doesnt harm us.

He's no lose to us really. As a team we haven't got the players in attack for Doherty to be effective. Doherty is all brawn no brains, and just like Doherty we as a team are basically all brawn no brains bar Coleman.

Hopefully for us Lee O'Connor can kick on in the next two seasons after his first full season at senior level. Of the RBs that are behind Coleman he's probably the closest we've got to being like Coleman. Might never reach the levels that Coleman has in his career, but as a player he's the only other RB that's brains over brawn like Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

He's no lose to us really. As a team we haven't got the players in attack for Doherty to be effective. Doherty is all brawn no brains, and just like Doherty we as a team are basically all brawn no brains bar Coleman.

Hopefully for us Lee O'Connor can kick on in the next two seasons after his first full season at senior level. Of the RBs that are behind Coleman he's probably the closest we've got to being like Coleman. Might never reach the levels that Coleman has in his career, but as a player he's the only other RB that's brains over brawn like Coleman.

Doherty is brawn, no brains. What a mad comment!
    Doherty was a main stay in a very technically good team in Wolves. Maybe he isn't a superstar by any strech, but id be hanging my hat on him sooner than hoping some like o connor makea the break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah I should have included the point about the new manager. As you say, many on here said Jose was at fault for it all, but he’s been dross since he went there.

In fairness I do think the large majority of people blamed the system alright.

Though of course by proxy that’s partially Jose’s fault, for buying someone who plays best in a role he doesn’t use.

A managerial change was only ever going to suit Doherty if the new guy plays 3 at the back. So I guess we’ll see who’s coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LowOdour wrote: »
    Doherty is brawn, no brains. What a mad comment!
    Doherty was a main stay in a very technically good team in Wolves. Maybe he isn't a superstar by any strech, but id be hanging my hat on him sooner than hoping some like o connor makea the break through.

From being overrated to underrated in less than a year on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

https://www.facebook.com/Lansdowneroad.ie/photos/a.868960963435698/1476834329315022/?__cft__[0]=AZV8BWAnxUpDYJRt9VYClKi-srvEFIjVx-mpEFJeCe6Vb7R62Arvgua84cVT1655wsczR2XwonzdNg_VmpWM1lYEfor89G7P00EDgGv722xlVcDY42A25Bj3u0CfTwHS2wlaXRkcp-y9rMOgxTnrG67pn-iDE5F3WuCobiEAK1_NBBuH4H2paGMvMiQq6BbcYVlIee0GZ_WCbXHU3HOgGjAY&__tn__=EH-R

Played Luxembourg U16, Sweden u16, Luxembourg u17, Ireland u19, Luxembourg u19, Luxembourg u21........a total of 12 matches.
    Played Bayern u17 and u19, then Seville B team.
    Last year he said
    I received my Swedish passport. It feels good. And I decided to play for the Swedish national team. I think that's the right decision.
    My dream is to play in a big tournament, preferably at a World Cup. I also like the style of the Swedish national team,"

And now declares for Ireland (his mother is Irish)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

https://twitter.com/paulfennessy21/status/1394315600839708680

Sean Roughan set for another trial with a Premier League club. Article says he should be playing a match with their U23s later this week. Meaning he's probably invovled with the big training camp the U19s are having for the next three days.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    From being overrated to underrated in less than a year on here!

Hardly a shocker that different people would have different opinions is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Young Cork defender Jake O'Brien captained Palace tonight in their semi-final win. A load of Palace fans asking why he’s not in the first team.

The new John Egan.:D

Pictured here next to the manager.

https://twitter.com/cpfc/status/1394391821250437120?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hardly a shocker that different people would have different opinions is it?

That doesn't really relate to what I posted.

noodler wrote: »
    That doesn't really relate to what I posted.

Unless this particular poster has done a complete 180 on the topic it does.

Either way Doherty was flying high playing for Wolves at this stage of the season last year now he is a minor entity at Spurs so a change of opinion on him as a player is not without merit.

Unless this particular poster has done a complete 180 on the topic it does.

Either way Doherty was flying high playing for Wolves at this stage of the season last year now he is a minor entity at Spurs so a change of opinion on him as a player is not without merit.

There's no denying Doherty was excellent for Wolves, was second to Trent Alexander Arnold in stats, but we ain't got any players who can make things happen or for Doherty to link up with.

Doherty is great when he's got players to link up with and others that can make things happen, but when you're looking to him as the one to make things happen for you he's lost because of his poor footballing intelligence.

Said it before the last games that if you're going to be playing both Doherty and Coleman in the same team then Coleman needs to be ahead of Doherty. To give him someone to link up with and get our only player with decent footballing intelligence in more attacking areas, and let Doherty come from deeper given his athleticism.

Whatever about this season at Spurs, he'll hopefully have the chance to turn things around next season with a new manager and a proper pre season with his teammates. There is no excuses for him going into this new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Dan Crowley set to be released by Birmingham City. I wonder is he finally eligible now for us that Johansson is. A return to the Netherlands might be his best option to reignite his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

sugarman wrote: »
    Some very interesting names in the u19s squad

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1394661555434758161

One of my observations from that list is the level of the clubs. Another perfect example of where our players have been pushed to since the big money flooded into the big rich clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

eire4 wrote:
    One of my observations from that list is the level of the clubs. Another perfect example of where our players have been pushed to since the big money flooded into the big rich clubs.

Yeah only 1 player at a top 6 club, even recently we always had a few at Utd, City and Liverpool

Yeah only 1 player at a top 6 club, even recently we always had a few at Utd, City and Liverpool

Looking at some of the lads named and it's probably a squad made up of dual national eligible players, and others who'd be on the fringes of underage age squads for coaches to look at more closely.

No Ferguson who was starting for the U17s, or Andrew Moran whose tearing it up at underage and attracting interest from top six clubs or Roughan whose on trial with Chelsea this week.

You've also got the U21 training camp in Spain that might include lads that are U18/U19.

• Advertisement

Arlo Doherty at Leicester and Maguire at Spurs.

No LOI players which is odd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement