Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Was a season that promised so much but was disappointing in the end overall.

Can't get worse next season for Irish lads.:(

I bet it can!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Some interesting new inclusions.

Thank God we won't have to see Brady and Hendrick in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the worst Ireland squad I have ever seen.
    Mandrioiu playing well at Rovers but not good enough for this level.

Ogbene barely played for Rotherham all season due to injury

We have so many players not playing at there clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Some interesting new inclusions.

Thank God we won't have to see Brady and Hendrick in this window.

Yes but Conor Hourihane is included unfortunately, along with Harry Arter for some reason. Looking at the whole squad, we'd probably have been better off just letting the lads go away on holidays to relax.

Interesting to see whose "injured", and whose actually injured. No Antony Scully is interesting when you consider Curtis, and Horgan were named. Similar no Jack Taylor when you've got Arter, and Molumby whose done absolutely nothing this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes but Conor Hourihane is included unfortunately, along with Harry Arter for some reason. Looking at the whole squad, we'd probably have been better off just letting the lads go away on holidays to relax.

Ah I think the camp is needed. It's literally the only time Kenny is going to have to get his ideas across for a concerted amount of time.

MD1990 wrote: »

Since it's a summer squad, it was never going to be the "mainstays" and since we're already at a low ebb this was always going to be scrapping the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Imagine the comments in here when Andorra get a 0-0 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a bit irritating to see an inclusion like that, and not Obafemi - who's back and getting a bit of game time at Southampton in the PL. Perfect chance to start integrating him into the squad after a 4 month injury, and exactly the sort of player we could do with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

The fact that Mandrioiu is included says more about how bad we are in attacking areas then anything else. IMHO the best player in the LOI so far this season has been Forrester at St Pats but Mandrioiu gets in because he has had a good start to the LOI season and we really are that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If that's where Kenny has to go to find young lads who are playing regular competitive football, it says a lot about our prospects coming through abroad and our over-reliance on the UK youth system.

I'm delighted to see more LOI players getting a chance. It must be encouraging for young lads knowing that playing well at the highest level in Ireland is going to have you in the sight of the national side after decades of being ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Aaron McEneff should be in ahead of Mandriou as well. Slightly different players but he should be in.
    Doing very well at Hearts who are back in the SPL & probably will do well next season.

Good to see Jamie McGrath in the squad.

Kenny's clearly has a problem with Obafemi. He has the pace that would be useful for us up front

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Aaron McEneff should be in ahead of Mandriou as well. Slightly different players but he should be in.
    Doing very well at Hearts who are back in the SPL & probably will do well next season.

Kenny's clearly has a problem with Obafemi. He has the pace that would be useful for us up front

Obafemi would be my number1 striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Where’s Johansson ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

McEneff playing Scottish Championship all year doesn't warrant a call up imo, it's a bit of bizzare squad though. Wonder why Scully and Taylor weren't called up, I know Scully has play-off final to play but why not Taylor? Especially since he was called up to the last squad after all the injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Obafemi would be my number1 striker

I wonder was it a case of he's only back a couple of weeks and wanted work on his fitness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

God that is a depressing squad of players, some very strange choices in there it has to be said. I thought Arter's international days were behind him but obviously not. Ogbene seems like a random call as he has not played much this season and he will be playing League 1 football next season, fair enough it is an area we are light in. Mandriou another strange one, when Richie Towell comes in will he even be in Rovers strongest XI? I would have thought Graham Burke would be ahead of him if he was going to pick a Rovers/LOI player.

McGrath deserves his call up 100% but not one I would be getting excited about. Is that Lee O'Connor or Tom O'Connor in the squad does anyone know? Some players I thought might get a call up; Obafemi, Taylor, Scully, McNamara, Sykes, Shodipo, Harness. Probably would have had them all ahead of Mandriou or Ogbene.

What a terrible 12 months it has been for us and our players.

McEneff playing Scottish Championship all year doesn't warrant a call up imo, it's a bit of bizzare squad though. Wonder why Scully and Taylor weren't called up, I know Scully has play-off final to play but why not Taylor? Especially since he was called up to the last squad after all the injuries.

So does Hourihane and Manning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dont think Burke is near the level required tbh. Not saying Mandriou is but there is nobody atm in LOI that is next or near the level IMO.

Thought Scully and Sykes might get a look in alright, could do yet with a few others pulling out once the long season ends. Not sure whats going on with Obafemi is he injured again?

Looks like its the end for Maguire at international level aswell unless he has a massive uptick in form next year

Nope, came on for Southampton yesterday. He is only back from injury for the past 2 or 3 weeks alright, but other players that have been named are in the same boat. And given his time out, a friendly training camp could surely only be a good thing for him.

I have a feeling Kenny just doesn't fancy him, but he's clearly one of our better options up front. Kenny's rationale before was that he was too small to play as the 1-up, but imo he's perfectly suited to one of the two wide-forward roles. Very comparable strengths to Connolly, except even stronger and faster. And we've also started playing 2 up every so often too, which suits him down to the ground. He's raw, and I'd totally accept that being a reason to leave him out if we had more cultured and consistent options, but we don't. So i'll take raw talent and exceptional pace and power over some the underwhelming options we've been using.

He was horribly misused at U-21 level, and that impression seems to have coloured Kenny's opinion of him.

sugarman wrote: »

They play on the Saturday. League One playoff is the following day, same day the squad fly out to Spain AFAIK. Covid travel restrictions would probably mean he couldn't follow them over on his own.

Training camp begins Friday, the day before the championship play off. So I'd assume they'll fly out on the Thursday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dont think Burke is near the level required tbh. Not saying Mandriou is but there is nobody atm in LOI that is next or near the level IMO.

Thought Scully and Sykes might get a look in alright, could do yet with a few others pulling out once the long season ends. Not sure whats going on with Obafemi is he injured again?

Looks like its the end for Maguire at international level aswell unless he has a massive uptick in form next year

I would agree, but I still think he is a better player than Mandriou, maybe Mandriou has the potential to be better as he is younger and seems more mobile. In the past there were calls for certain LOI players to be called up but right now I don't think there is anyone worthy of a call up, despite our squad being the worst it has been in probably 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Outside of goalkeeper you could name two squads of totally different players for Ireland and they’d be much of a muchness in terms of quality.

People are trying hard to do down Arter and do up McEneff etc etc etc but it’s just trying hard to debate one no mark player vs another no mark player.

If I had to pick the three best outfield players for Ireland in terms of influencing a game it would be Brady, Coleman and Robinson.....while many see Brady as a drag on our creative output....moral of the story...all our players are has beens at best, but mainly No marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd have prefered Chris Forrester over Arter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is Travers injured or way down the pecking order?
    His career seems to have stalled since being called back from his loan for no reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I agree with what another poster just said, much of a muchness. The problem we have is we have some talent but zero potential stars at a top level. In the same way Wales needs a Gareth Bale, Ireland needs a Roy Keane, a top, top player with a handful of 'good' players to make the difference.

We have no one with that type of potential, not even close.

Just have to make do. We won't be near any tournaments for a very long time.

It is probably the worst Irish side ever assembled. I can't think of worse.

I think we are going to really struggle against Andorra. 10 years a go saying that would have been an obvious joke. Not any more. We'll struggle against Andorra. That's our level for the foreseeable.

I agree with what another poster just said, much of a muchness. The problem we have is we have some talent but zero potential stars at a top level. In the same way Wales needs a Gareth Bale, Ireland needs a Roy Keane, a top, top player with a handful of 'good' players to make the difference.

We have no one with that type of potential, not even close.

Just have to make do. We won't be near any tournaments for a very long time.

It is probably the worst Irish side ever assembled. I can't think of worse.

I think we are going to really struggle against Andorra. 10 years a go saying that would have been an obvious joke. Not any more. We'll struggle against Andorra. That's our level for the foreseeable.

Ah come on, Andorra is basically a good junior side.
    I reckon I wouldn't be too far off a call up if I lived there, theres a step up to even LOI from that.

We're at a low ebb but let's keep things realistic, they'll win that game by a few with any lads of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Hopefully the 2 reserve goalkeepers get minutes in each game. I would have preferred Randolph left out to let them get more experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

From what I can see, the only LOI side to play a team from Andorra was Dundalk last year who won 1-0. Not a big enough sample size but nothing to suggest that LOI players will struggle against Andorran players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I would agree, but I still think he is a better player than Mandriou, maybe Mandriou has the potential to be better as he is younger and seems more mobile. In the past there were calls for certain LOI players to be called up but right now I don't think there is anyone worthy of a call up, despite our squad being the worst it has been in probably 40 years.

Don't even think Mandirou is the best player in the Shams team never mind the league.
    Hes not the only one, hard to know what Parrott, Ogbene and a few others have done to deserve be in the mix.
    We're so bereft of a bit of creativity, anything is worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Arter is by far the most baffling selection. Hasn't kicked a ball since December. Hasn't even been named in a match day squad since. Was told he was free to leave in January but nobody came in for him. Hes also 32 later in the year and very injury prone, its hard to see him having any sort of international future.
    People are going mad about Arter, but it actually makes sense when you think about it. Kenny wants to have a 6, an 8, and a 10. We have a lot of options for 8 and 10, but very few for the 6 role. Cullen is obviously one of them, but Kenny will want two options. McCarthy would be there, but Kenny said in the presser that he's trying to get himself sorted with a club for next season. Who else do we have who is proven in the defensive role and can pass the ball? Taylor maybe, but is he even available, he missed the last game of the season for Peterborough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Jake O'Brien is just after winning his first medal in England captaining Palace tonight. He only left Cork City in January. Has to be up there with one of the biggest fairytales for any Irish kid.

https://twitter.com/cpfc/status/1396929649846935559?s=21

Some thoughts on the squad.

Goalkeepers fine, they select themselves.

Defenders mostly ok. A bit surprised to see O'Connor there. I would have had Christie, but it could be the case that he needs the rest. Christie played every single minute of 45 league games for Forest this season, don't think another Irish player has played more minutes than him.

Midfielders seem mostly ok. I hope it's a case that Taylor is unavailable, because he should be there otherwise. I also wonder has Kenny looked at Callum O'Hare. He had a decent season (3 goals, 8 assists), is playing at a decent level, fits the mould of a player who can pass. Would surely be a better option than Mandroiu.

Attackers makes the least sense. Ogbene is a real head scratcher. There's a few youtube clips from him and they're not too complimentary. Also struggling to see what Parrott has done to deserve a call up. Keny must really believe in him to give him more chances.

u21_may21.PNG

Under 21 squad out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

As expected no Mipo. He's one I'd forget.

No Odubeko, again. Wonder what excuse he gave Crawford this time.

No Obafemi either. I really hope that we're not alienating him from the Irish set up. He's one of the few players that we've got who's playing at a high level, we can't afford to let him slip.

No Obafemi either. I really hope that we're not alienating him from the Irish set up. He's one of the few players that we've got who's playing at a high level, we can't afford to let him slip.

"Obafemi could still join up with us, it's possible. He completely ripped his thigh and he was due to go on loan to Swansea .

“He has come on for 15 and 20 minutes in games and his training programme is modified even when we had him with the under 21s.

"He cannot train every day and he has modifications because of his previous injury history. So he’s getting up to speed again.”

Was asked about Obafemi at yesterday's press conference. Seems with the bad injury he's just returned from and his new training schedule they probably didn't want to risk him.

Though the mirror are saying he now could be brought in because Shane Long isn't fit and needs an operation for an nerve issue.

whats the story there?

Talk that he's possibly holding out for England as he might qualify for them on residency.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/footballsoccer/2021/05/25/news/mark-sykes-very-close-to-making-republic-of-ireland-squad-stephen-kenny-2333573/
    Some comments from Kenny's press conference.
    Asked how close Sykes was to winning a call-up to the Irish set-up, Kenny said: “Yeah very close. He is on standby.

“I thought he did well in the play-off games on the left side of a midfield three. The players he's in competition with for that left side of the midfield three are Conor Hourihane, Jayson Molumby, Jason Knight.

“He's a runner from deep. The problem for Mark was that earlier in the season he wasn't in the team at all at Oxford.

“He lost his place and lost his way a bit, but to his credit, he has knuckled down in recent times and got back into the team.

“He was a big part of their push as Oxford went from nearly being bottom of the table to sixth and getting into the play-offs.”

Kenny added: “He made an unbelievable run in the middle of that game last week, the first-leg. It was a good save from the keeper. That's what he has, he makes deep runs and he's an interesting player. He has a lot of energy and yeah, he's close to it.”
    It appears Sykes is on the stand-by list.
    On Hendrick’s absence from the 27-man squad, Kenny said: “Jeff is not injured on this one. I don't think he's injured. He just has private reasons for not linking up on this one.”

Hendrick didn’t start in either of Ireland’s 2022 World Cup qualifier defeats to Serbia and Luxembourg back in March, which virtually put paid to their hopes of making the Qatar finals next summer.
    Sounds like Hendrick didn't want the call-up.
    Kenny, who has yet to win a game in 11 attempts as senior boss, was considerably more glowing about what a fit Robbie Brady would bring to the Irish team.

“Since Robbie Brady came off in the game against Qatar, he has not been even on the grass,” said Kenny.

“He's been in the gym rehabbing. It's his Achilles which is a tough injury to get right.

“He had been struggling but, ideally, a fit Robbie Brady would definitely be playing in our team. No doubt about it.”
    Positive about Brady despite his absence.
    Out of all the new recruits, Meath-born Jamie McGrath of St Mirren was the one player Kenny became more animated about.

He said: “Jamie McGrath has scored 17 goals for St Mirren - alright he’s scored a lot of penalties but he’s scored a lot of big goals, he’s a very important player for them.

“He just has terrific feet. He needed to add goals to his game as that was the thing that was lacking but he’s done that.

“He can beat three players in a tight space, his feet are so good, with sharp step-overs and drag-backs...

“He has a good attitude, and you know we’ll have to see how it goes, it is a step up to international football. I’m sure he’ll come in and enjoy the environment, enjoy that, we’ll see how he goes.”
    "Animated" about McGrath.

The Ronan Curtis speculation has increased. It sounds like Portsmouth have softened their stance and will accept an offer for Curtis that's the "right price". Brentford would be a dream destination for Curtis, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up at Blackburn either.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/ronan-curtis-portsmouth-blackburn-transfer-20675464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Surely Stephen has to pick up the phone to Bamford again now after this. I'm not one for pursuing players who have said they would rather wait for an England call up but in this case I'd make am exception. We need a goal scorer.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Surely Stephen has to pick up the phone to Bamford again now after this. I'm not one for pursuing players who have said they would rather wait for an England call up but in this case I'd make am exception. We need a goal scorer.

He said no when he was in the championship and not even close to englands radar ow that he's knocking then in in the prem and an outside bet at the English team not a chance he says yes

“He had been struggling but, ideally, a fit Robbie Brady would definitely be playing in our team. No doubt about it.”

When's the lad ever really fit. IMO he should focus on his club career for awhile and take a break from international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

When's the lad ever really fit. IMO he should focus on his club career for awhile and take a break from international football.

He doesn't seem to have the legs for 90 minutes for Ireland so needs to work his balls off for the summer and come back super fit and hit the ground running for Burnley next year otherwise I'd be hoping enough lads kick on that he won't be next or near the squads.

He has a good delivery of the ball but him having to take every single set piece when he's on the field drives me demented especially given how poor they were recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He said no when he was in the championship and not even close to englands radar ow that he's knocking then in in the prem and an outside bet at the English team not a chance he says yes

He's probably got a bit of a reality check since he didnt even make the extended 33 man squad.

Given our utter dearth of options I'd give him a second call.

He's not fùcked around with us wasting time in the U21's a la Grealish and Rice so hasn't burnt his bridges.

pjohnson wrote: »
    He's probably got a bit of a reality check since he didnt even make the extended 33 man squad.

Given our utter dearth of options I'd give him a second call.

He's not fùcked around with us wasting time in the U21's a la Grealish and Rice so hasn't burnt his bridges.

I mean he's about as likely to make a tournament with them than us at this point and he's never shown any desire to play I know we're desperate for a striker but I wouldn't hold your breath for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Ronan Curtis speculation has increased. It sounds like Portsmouth have softened their stance and will accept an offer for Curtis that's the "right price". Brentford would be a dream destination for Curtis, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up at Blackburn either.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/ronan-curtis-portsmouth-blackburn-transfer-20675464

If Brentford get promoted he would be better going to Blackburn cos prob a better chance of starting

Yeah I'm too happy about this kind of nonsense. It should be a privilege to play for your country each and every time.

Browne and Cunningham also asked to be left out.

...as well as McCarthy.

Fair enough if you've had a busy season (esp this season) and/or picked up injuries along the way like the others I've just mentioned but Hendrick has been picking splinters out of his hole on the bench all and theres nothing wrong with him. If theres anyone who would benefit from games and given a final chance to prove his worth, its him!

Brady is out of contract at Burnley and I cant see too many clubs queuing up to sign him. He looks finished to me, he could barley break into a sprint any time I've watched him play in recent times.

I think he needs to take a good break, find a new club and try get a run of games under his belt before considering about International football for awhile.

Nah I'd rather we keep the faith in our own youngsters who want to play for us and give them the game time they need to bed in.

One or two will eventually come good.

Honestly doubt Hendrick even cares, just look at his career since Euro 2016 when he got his big move to a Premier League team. Somehow managed to convince another team to give him another four year contract and a little bump in wages.

Brady should look outside of the UK for a new club. Should look for a league where the scheduling isn't as hectic and the pace is slower. Can't see another Premier League club taking a risk on him, especially any of the promoted clubs and if he was to drop down to the championship the schedule they play will wreck him even more.

Literally all we need is one or two. That should have been Grealish and Rice, our midfield would have been sorted for the next decade. They don't even need to be at the level of Rice or Grealish, you just need to look at the impact McGoldrick could make and he was a journey man striker. Biggest issue for him though was we just didn't have the players to support him as the FAI neglected a generation of players born between 93 and 98.

piplip87 wrote: »

No thanks. I do not want players who do not see themselves as been Irish wearing a green shirt and clearly Bamford is such a player. I have absolutely zero problem with players born outside the 32 counties playing for Ireland but only as long as they see themselves as Irish and really want to play for Ireland as a result of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

eire4 wrote: »
    No thanks. I do not want players who do not see themselves as been Irish wearing a green shirt and clearly Bamford is such a player. I have absolutely zero problem with players born outside the 32 counties playing for Ireland but only as long as they see themselves as Irish and really want to play for Ireland as a result of that.

Aside from the Bamford issue, I can tell you that people who live in England their whole lives with parents who are English their whole lives and who’s only link to Ireland is one Irish grandparent do not see themselves as Irish.

Aside from the Bamford issue, I can tell you that people who live in England their whole lives with parents who are English their whole lives and who’s only link to Ireland is one Irish grandparent do not see themselves as Irish.

That is their call if they see themselves as Irish or not. Not for me or anyone else to say how they see themselves. I have no problem at all with anyone born outside the 32 counties who sees themselves as Irish playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement