Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bosun Lawal called up to the U21s squad. Possibly replacement for Patrick Finn who has exams and might only take part in the first game before leaving to prepare for his exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

eire4 wrote: »
    That is their call if they see themselves as Irish or not. Not for me or anyone else to say how they see themselves. I have no problem at all with anyone born outside the 32 counties who sees themselves as Irish playing for Ireland.

Well my point is a lot of those playing for Ireland over the past 50 years do not see themselves as Irish. Being going on since joe Kinnear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Well my point is a lot of those playing for Ireland over the past 50 years do not see themselves as Irish. Being going on since joe Kinnear.

I am sure your right that there have been some who did not see themselves as Irish while equally there are plenty who did no question about both. I don't want the former category playing for us. Look I have no problem with a player loving his other heritages as well. Nationality is not all or nothing IMHO. But for me a player has to truly see themselves as Irish as well IMHO to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People need to get over Bamford. He's been asked to declare for us multiple times, as far back as when Trap was manager. While I'd have him in a heartbeat, he's turning 28 soon, he's not going to change his mind now.

Apparently Stoke have turned down a £10m bid for Collins - https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/nathan-collins-burnley-stoke-city-20680634

I'd say it wouldn't take too much more of an increase to get the offer accepted. I would have thought that with their high wage bill and parachute payments coming to an end, they would realistically have to sell should any decent offer like this come in for any of their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Jonny Walters was a great example of a lad brought up in England but always had it in his head to play for Ireland. He wouldn’t ever of been picked for England but the point is he was choosing Ireland regardless . The Jamie Ohara saga was one of the worst cos he just couldn’t decide to play for Ireland cos holding out fir England !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Joe Kinnear was born in Dublin.

Joe Kinnear was born in Dublin.

So was the duke of Wellington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Jonny Walters was a great example of a lad brought up in England but always had it in his head to play for Ireland. He wouldn’t ever of been picked for England but the point is he was choosing Ireland regardless . The Jamie Ohara saga was one of the worst cos he just couldn’t decide to play for Ireland cos holding out fir England !

Yes Walters is a great example of someone born outside the 32 counties who we want playing for Ireland. I remember his tear filled interview after he scored the 2 gaols against Bosnia that sent us through to the 2016 European Finals when he talked about how much that was for his mom (who had passed) and how proud she would be.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/RepTracker/status/1397917800966983701

Two of their games are live over the next week starting Sunday, and the final game will have full highlights later that night. Games are being shown on Premier Sport, FreeSports, and FreeSport TV player which can be watched online or download the app.

Switzerland, Sunday May 30th KO 11am
    Australia, Wednesday June 2nd KO 5pm
    Denmark, Saturday June 5th KO 5pm (highlights 9pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sugarman wrote: »
    FreeSport Player is geo-blocked in Ireland.

You can watch FreeSports on Sky / FTA Satellite though. Completely free, no sub required.

If you've "Sports Extra" pack on Sky or Now TV, Premier Sports is included in that.

Also, our 2 senior friendlies next week are only available on Sky Sports with Highlights on Virgin Media.

The Andorrans the big one. The "haven't won in 12 consecutive games" derby.

For his own sake he should move away from the UK, go somewhere less physical with an easier schedule, and even retire from international football. No one will begrudge him retiring to prolong his club career and at least he got to play in a major tournament.

Yeah even SPL woudnt be the worst, could do a job for someone like Hibs or Aberdeen. Still a quite physical league but definitely a lighter load of games than than the PL or Championship.

Looking at his stats at Burnley I was kind of surprised to see he played 81 games for them over 5 seasons which isn't the worst considering his injuries ..but on a closer look he only started 45 of those games and only saw out 90 mins in 24 of those. Most of which were pre his 2017 knee injury.

James McCarthy is in the same boat as him now too.

Saw this posted on YBIG
    Brady has played 90mins in Premier League games 8 times since 2nd December 2017 and in that time has averaged 2.88 games between injuries, suspensions or just being dropped up to now.

Also In that time he's suffered - terrible knee injury, various groin injuries, chest injury, various calf strains and injuries, hamstring injury, thigh muscle strain and various other knocks.

I think its fair to say that recovering from injuries as you get older is harder

SPL would bring a lighter load, but he'd get paid more out in Cyprus when you consider Adam Rooney left Aberdeen cause Salford were paying him more in non league. Also got the added bonus of not being in Scotland and sunning your bollix in your free time.

Though he's probably gonna end up at Cardiff and wouldn't be surprised to see them try bring McCarthy in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Never thought of that, likely alright. He wasted no time getting James Collins in on a free.

He'll probably go mad getting the band back together with McCarthy, Brady, Judge, Ward, McGeady, Westwood and whoever else is available on a free this summer :pac:

Is Ian Harte still playing :)

Never thought of that, likely alright. He wasted no time getting James Collins in on a free.

He'll probably go mad getting the band back together with McCarthy, Brady, Judge, Ward, McGeady, Westwood and whoever else is available on a free this summer :pac:

Just his luck that Glen Whelan is available again :D

Brady is available on a free and wouldn't be on huge wages, he will have plenty of options.

Irish players are popular in MLS so across the Atlantic might beckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Brady is available on a free and wouldn't be on huge wages, he will have plenty of options.

No he won't, clubs do their due diligence now. Brady has been very poor for a number of years. No PL club will go near him. Mid table Championship team would be the best case scenario

• Advertisement

Eunan O'Kane released by Leeds United, forgot he was even still with them. Sounds like he's had a horrific time with injuries.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/former-hatters-loan-signing-okane-released-by-leeds-united-3253281

wadacrack wrote: »
    No he won't, clubs do their due diligence now. Brady has been very poor for a number of years. No PL club will go near him. Mid table Championship team would be the best case scenario

When he was fit and well he played for Burnley. I don’t think a PL teams will sign him but that’s because of his body, not his ability.

I find it ...informative... that Brady gets so much stick when he is technically our most complete player certainly in the attacking end of the pitch.

When you look at the basic skills of the attacking game- passing, shooting, crossing, dribbling- Brady is the best in the squad at most of these facets in our modest squad.

His body is a crock and I have my suspicions that he didn’t do well off the pitch in terms of being a conscientious pro but in terms of ability he didn’t get to be highly rated by Alex Ferguson by being useless.

Dots1982 back again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I find it ...informative... that Brady gets so much stick when he is technically our most complete player certainly in the attacking end of the pitch.

When you look at the basic skills of the attacking game- passing, shooting, crossing, dribbling- Brady is the best in the squad at most of these facets in our modest squad.

His body is a crock and I have my suspicions that he didn’t do well off the pitch in terms of being a conscientious pro but in terms of ability he didn’t get to be highly rated by Alex Ferguson by being useless.

He's dreadful at corners and dead balls. I had completely forgotten he was at Burnley, its a pity the way his career is going

siblers wrote: »
    He's dreadful at corners and dead balls

Jack Byrne’s probably better and that’s at a low level of competition. Unconvinced by any others being better. Like the rest of the squad - much of a muchness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

When’s the last time one of his free kicks or corner kicks for Ireland beat the first man??

Fandymo wrote: »
    When’s the last time one of his free kicks or corner kicks for Ireland beat the first man??

In the only game we scored a goal in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

So was the duke of Wellington

Did the Duke of Wellington play for Ireland too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

In the only game we scored a goal in last year.

So once, in one game? Out of how many played?

Fandymo wrote: »

I think Finland away where Brady’s corners/set piece in the corner were met by Doherty and Duffy.

That’s when they produced chances, not when they beat the first man.

Final minute of this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7Ed70gc_U

Brady might not be great but We’ll see over the next year if there’s anyone better.

• Advertisement

Ciaran Brennan and John Joe Patrick Finn to miss out on the training camp with Bosun Lawal and Anselmo Garcia McNulty already announced as being called up during the week their replacements.

Brennan is injured, and Patrick Finn was only playing in Sunday's game as he's got exams coming but now will sit out the camp to fully focus on them. Brian Maher, Dawson Devoy, Andy Lyons, Colm Whelan, and Sean Roughan will join up with the squad after the weekend as there's one round of LOI games left before the summer break and Lincoln are in the play off final on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Jaysis lads actually arguing Brady wouldn't get into our current team fcuk me pink lads he's better than most of what we have even on one leg.

Some lad called Sam Szmodics has been called up as Randolph, Robinson and Connolly are out. Plays for Peterborough.

There are no historical tweets linking this guy to an Ireland call up so this is a bit of a head scratcher/rub your eyes moment.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1398292857329532936

Szmodics scored 15 goals and had 8 assists for Peterborough in League one and is an attacking midfielder. Mark Travers has also been called in to replace Randolph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Connolly and Robinson both out is a bit of a blow... our two first choice wide forwards. It's grand getting to use the friendlies to test new guys out but, between covid and injuries, our actual first team have played together so little it would have been nice to use the time to build on those relationships.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Jaysis lads actually arguing Brady wouldn't get into our current team fcuk me pink lads he's better than most of what we have even on one leg.

Eh you obviously haven't watched any of his recent appearances for Ireland if you think that.

Wow, Szmodics declaring for Ireland is a real bolt out of the blue, but a good one! I watched Peterborough a few times last season to see Taylor (who has been excellent), but I really went away thinking that Szmodics looks a brilliant attacking player who was the creative hub of this Peterborough team. He's probably going to be behind Browne in the pecking order, but I'd have him ahead of Byrne on form.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Connolly and Robinson both out is a bit of a blow... our two first choice wide forwards. It's grand getting to use the friendlies to test new guys out but, between covid and injuries, our actual first team have played together so little it would have been nice to use the time to build on those relationships.

Wonder if they're actually injured or their clubs are just not releasing them, more so Connolly and Randolph. Connolly has had his injury issues over the season and Randolph has his issues with his hip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wow, Szmodics declaring for Ireland is a real bolt out of the blue, but a good one! I watched Peterborough a few times last season to see Taylor (who has been excellent), but I really went away thinking that Szmodics looks a brilliant attacking player who was the creative hub of this Peterborough team. He's probably going to be behind Browne in the pecking order, but I'd have him ahead of Byrne on form.

Very happy to hear that. Don't know anything about the chap, but in Kenny's preferred system it's something we've really been missing - a proper creative link between midfield and forwards.

Wonder if they're actually injured or their clubs are just not releasing them, more so Connolly and Randolph. Connolly has had his injury issues over the season and Randolph has his issues with his hip.

Wouldn't be too surprised really, particularly since we broke Connolly again on his last trip over.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Very happy to hear that. Don't know anything about the chap, but in Kenny's preferred system it's something we've really been missing - a proper creative link between midfield and forwards.

On paper it looks like the type of player we need in that position, just hope he can make that step up to the championship this time as he's 26 in September. Now gives Irish fans more reason to keep an eye out for Peterborough with Taylor, Szmodics and possibly Pym if his switch over has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Is the Johannsson fella not finished with his paperwork or just not called up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Steyr 556 wrote: »

He’s in the 21s squad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Steyr 556 wrote: »

He is a prospect. 1 of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I though as much when I saw the surname, but it appears Szmodics also qualifies for Hungary through a grandfather - should make for an interesting second game in the Szmodics house!

...good luck to him if thats the case, dont need that kind of attitude within the squad. What will he do when England don't pick him? Because he can only switch once.]

Ah he's what? 18? A young fella. Probably all over the shop and angry about it. Hopefully he'll cool off.

Allegedly Odubeko is holding a grudge over being left out of the u17s Euros squad.

...good luck to him if thats the case, dont need that kind of attitude within the squad. What will he do when England don't pick him? Because he can only switch once.
    It's juvenile, but at the end of the day, that's what he is, a juvenile.

We shouldn't cut our nose off to spite our face on this one. This kid has serious potential, so we need to be sitting down with him and bringing him back on side.

Wouldn't read much into it. Sounds more like someone's management team is putting out stories to build a narrative around why a player might switch sides.

If he turns out to be good enough for England he'll declare for them because he had issues with Irish coaches. Turns out he's not good enough for England then he'll somehow have managed to resolve those issues and stay with Ireland, or just declare for Nigeria to save face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He might just feel more Nigerian than Irish and im fine with that. No problem there. It worked for us, its going work against us from time to time now.

However if he declares for England that will be laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Speaking of juvenile behaviour I see Obafemi has stopped following FAIreland on Insta and no Ireland pics (pretty sure there was up before). Is this guy throwing the toys out of the pram too that Kenny is yet to select him?

Its hard to comment when you don't know the facts or what is going on the background but it certainly doesn't come across as proud to be Irish and proud to play for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

henke wrote: »
    Speaking of juvenile behaviour I see Obafemi has stopped following FAIreland on Insta and no Ireland pics (pretty sure there was up before). Is this guy throwing the toys out of the pram too that Kenny is yet to select him?

Its hard to comment when you don't know the facts or what is going on the background but it certainly doesn't come across as proud to be Irish and proud to play for Ireland.

They look like a pair of babies to me. Hopefully they both grow up a bit soon.
    Neither has set the world on fire yet so should concentrate on being good enough rather than whinging all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement