Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

henke wrote: »
    Speaking of juvenile behaviour I see Obafemi has stopped following FAIreland on Insta and no Ireland pics (pretty sure there was up before). Is this guy throwing the toys out of the pram too that Kenny is yet to select him?

Its hard to comment when you don't know the facts or what is going on the background but it certainly doesn't come across as proud to be Irish and proud to play for Ireland.

In fairness to him Obafemi declared firmly and unequivocally for Ireland long long before he had to, and has been treated poorly by Kenny since he came in. Not even a phonecall when left out of the initial squads (after a great PL season), despite being one of our very few Premier league forwards. And then to be left out of this squad... when you see someone like Ogbene in ahead of him, and then for Connolly and Robinson to leave and STILL not to be called up. That’s got to feel like a bit of a ‘fck you’ from the manager.

Which is bad for us as fans, as he’s clearly one of our better attackers.

I really don’t like this nebulous bashing of a players ‘proudness’ to play for the country, when the issues are clearly much more focused and specific than the nationalistic jingoistic stuff like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I must have missed his great PL season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In fairness to him Obafemi declared firmly and unequivocally for Ireland long long before he had to, and has been treated poorly by Kenny since he came in. Not even a phonecall when left out of the initial squads (after a great PL season), despite being one of our very few Premier league forwards. And then to be left out of this squad... when you see someone like Ogbene in ahead of him, and then for Connolly and Robinson to leave and STILL not to be called up. That’s got to feel like a bit of a ‘fck you’ from the manager.

Which is bad for us as fans, as he’s clearly one of our better attackers.

I really don’t like this nebulous bashing of a players ‘proudness’ to play for the country, when the issues are clearly much more focused and specific than the nationalistic jingoistic stuff like that.

I don't disagree with a lot you say and he probably is pissed off with him. His issue is with the manager though and shouldn't be with the country and the social media stuff I do think is juvenile. Anyway one to watch but not a concern at the moment. Hopefully he will kick on next season and stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Obafemi used that social media to firmly nail his colours to the Irish mast which is something the other lad didn't do.

It seems Obafemi has no hope of playing for Ireland under Kenny so can't blame him being dissapointed.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I must have missed his great PL season

As a 19 year old playing in 25 matches for a Premier League club with 4 goals and 3 assists for the season is pretty bloody great by Irish standards, and more than most of our forwards have done.

It was basically exactly the same as Connolly’s season the same year (4 goals and 2 assists in 27 matches) - but where Connolly seemed to be lauded as the second coming and was absolutely seen as one of our key players almost instantly, Obafemi has been overlooked. Obafemi’s a year younger by the way.

They’re our two standout young fast forwards, and both should be getting supported and groomed for the long haul. Instead, Obafemi hasn’t been picked for a squad since 2018.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Obafemi used that social media to firmly nail his colours to the Irish mast which is something the other lad didn't do.

It seems Obafemi has no hope of playing for Ireland under Kenny so can't blame him being dissapointed.

You’re right that it’s a bad reaction, but a) he’s young, and b) being so thoroughly overlooked for two years while worse players get chances must be unbelievably frustrating.

It’s really really dumb from the association to so thoroughly alienate a young talent with huge potential - they’re the ones who should know better. Young players need encouragement. If you’re not gonna pick them, ok, but keep the lines of communication open, keep encouraging, let them know they’re in the running.

And for a friendly camp like this with no stakes, just fkin invite them!

Like, look back at January - Swansea fighting for promotion to the premier league. Who do they want to come in and score goals for them? Obafemi. Was all set for a great loan till he got injured. Meanwhile we’ve lads like Parrott dropping down to league one to not score goals there since no one in the Championship had any interest. So Oba clearly has something about him that clubs like - maybe we shouldn’t actively chase him off.

I’m generally pro Kenny, but this situation seems like particularly gross mismanagement by him and the FAI.

sugarman wrote: »
    Obafemi hasn't been fit for any sustained period of time under Kenny. At present he hasn't even been able to train between matches with Southampton, hes been doing mostly gym work ...and Kenny said as much in his explanation of his absence earlier this week as did Crawford when questioned. Hes on a very strict program where he cant train an awful lot, if at all and he might only be good for 15-20 mins a game. Makes sense to leave him out, to let him recover ahead of the new season rather than risk any set back in meaningless friendlies.

Theres also a lot of questions over his attitude and work ethic at by his manager at Southampton too, hence why he had been frozen out of the senior team before his injury there. So its fair to say, its not just Kenny that has had issues with him.

Hassenhuttl clearly hugely rates him, and gives him a bit of stick and carrot. Giving him a few weeks in the reserves, and welcoming him back then after renewed effort - was in each of the last 5 squads at the end of this season after his injury.

So at Southampton he’s being actively managed - we’re just ignoring him.

He was also fully fit for Kenny’s first few squads, was just overlooked for worse players, without even a call. Sure he played for the U-21’s in that time (most frustratingly as a lone forward after Kenny made a big deal about him not being able to play as a lone forward - which he can’t, but he’s great as a second striker or wide forward. Why not get the U21s to use him in a role that will be useful for Ireland?). It’s not like the seniors couldn’t have done with a bit of a game changer.

For his current injuries and schedule, we know what Kenny is telling us, but we also know that Obafemi is pissed off, so it seems like the two stories don’t quite line up. So at best again it looks like yet more poor communication. At the end of the day, the biggest part of international management is managing players - and in this case particularly it seems like it’s been a bit of a disaster from start to finish, especially in terms of encouragement and communication.

Totally beating a dead horse here - but just re-frame the conversation a little bit;

Here we have a young highly rated Irish player, who has already had one standout season for a player of his age, who desperately wants to play for his country and is a bit distraught after being frozen out for almost 3 years now - despite his ability and form at several points during that time being more than good enough for inclusion.

Is this not exactly what we want from players? Of course he's reacted too emotionally after yet another rejection, but isn't that the exact opposite to what we've been experiencing of late with the International apathy of lads like Graelish, Rice, Bamford, and a whole host of young players who are hedging their bets?

Obafemi's desperation to play for us has been really clear right from the word go, and that's really endeared him to me at least, even before he showed what he was capable of last year. I really hope we don't lose him for something as silly as poor communication and mismanagement. For instance, you always hear of international managers keeping in touch with their players during bad injuries - giving them encouragement, letting them know they've not been forgotten, and just generally keeping things positive. 10 minutes every few weeks is all it takes, and you always hear how much it means to the player. Does anyone think it's likely that's taken place here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

All three U21s games will be shown live on the RTE player as well as Premier Sports, FreeSport, and the FreeSport player for those outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I’m generally pro Kenny, but this situation seems like particularly gross mismanagement by him and the FAI.
    It's really poor, and it's all on Kenny, he picks the squad.

I am not saying Obafemi is the answer, but given the withdrawals, injuries, and nature of these friendlies, leaving him out really makes it look like Kenny has an axe to grind here. The fact that he's calling up a League One player in Ogbene just adds further insult. Ogbene himself is only coming back after injury, and it's not like he's been tearing it up for Rotherham.

I guess we'll just have to see how things go next year. If Obafemi is getting minutes and continues to be ignored, then Kenny is going to have serious problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pjohnson wrote: »

If Obafemi can stay fit and starts slotting in 10+ goals a season in the EPL then of course he will get a call up. If he sits there whining injured with a bad attitude he won't.
    Kenny is not an idiot. He will jump on a proven goalscorer if one is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Well done to our assistant manager for winning the champions league tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can Obafemi still switch international sides if he wants to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can Obafemi still switch international sides if he wants to?

Yes

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If Obafemi can stay fit and starts slotting in 10+ goals a season in the EPL then of course he will get a call up. If he sits there whining injured with a bad attitude he won't.
    Kenny is not an idiot. He will jump on a proven goalscorer if one is available

Should that be how high the bar is for him though? And if so, why is it so low for Ogbene, or Parrott, or Szmodics, or Idah etc etc?

He's only been injured since January, so there's been a lot of windows where he's been fully fit both during and since the same breakout season Connolly had (only missed 4 games in the 19/20 season, and was then fit until January 2021).

It seems a bit mad to me that people wouldn't have a bit of empathy about a guy being frozen out for so long while someone else with an almost identical record was pushed to the front of the queue. We didn't hear a peep for the first 2 years of his time on the margins since his last callup in 2018 - it's only since Kenny's squads that he's been, like, "ah lads, are ya serious?", while we've named worse players and proceeded to not score goals at an alarming rate.

But again, as I said, beyond all this it's the pure mismanagement on a human level that's most frustrating. The biggest part of international management is keeping tabs with players, keeping everyone feeling good, and keeping your options and relationships open.

We've so many players who have no fckin interest in playing for us, so why alienate one of the few talented lads that actually really does?

I think it's best to lose these players like that to force FAI and the management team to fix issues of incompetence, carelessness that is leading to these situations rather than leave it fester.

I don't get given the appalling standard of our team at the moment why these promising young players wouldn't be just brought in anyway to give them a feel for the camp, to make them feel welcomed and tie them them down to the side.

I mean, what do we have to lose at this point? Absolutely nothing.

We can't afford bleeding any potential talent. Needs to be nipped as early as possible.

As for Kenny he is totally out of his depth in the role, everyone knows it, and it's damage limitation only as we are finding out we can't even limit the damage.

We are in such a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

"Why didn't he call up Obafemi?" is a valid question for Kenny on his first couple of squads when Obafemi was coming off a decent season where it would look like he would kick on.

Since then though, Obafemi's played 63 minutes of senior football all season. I think he's been injured since longer ago than January. That's a good reason not to pick someone, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Yes

Don't think he can. He's played in a competitive game. Denmark I think

RonanG86 wrote: »
    "Why didn't he call up Obafemi?" is a valid question for Kenny on his first couple of squads when Obafemi was coming off a decent season where it would look like he would kick on.

Since then though, Obafemi's played 63 minutes of senior football all season. I think he's been injured since longer ago than January. That's a good reason not to pick someone, imo.

Got injured just a few days before the January window - had a loan move to Swansea all set to go.

First half of the season was rough for him since Southampton brought in Theo Walcott - so he had Danny Ings, Ched Evans, Walcott, and Redmond all ahead of him in those attacking positions. Walcott was the real killer though, as that's exactly the role he'd been playing, coming on to bring pace and power on the right forward position.

I guess it's one thing if we have players excelling ahead of him, but alas we demonstrably don't. Most of our forwards - Collins aside - have had torrid seasons. Most of them moving backwards. Idah injured all year, Connolly barely getting a sniff despite being in a poor team (129 minutes in the last 4 months), Parrott having to drop to league one, and then getting benched there. It's depressing to have all that, while also seemingly alienating and isolating a kid with big potential. Have a feeling we might end up regretting it. But on top of that, it just seems really poor form and very cold the way it's all been handled from the start.

Don't think he can. He's played in a competitive game. Denmark I think

The new rules came in to protect players who have been given a game as kids to lock them down, and then shoved aside.

If he doesn't play for another year or so, then he's free to change.

<edit> details of the rule change HERE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

As a complete baseline we should be looking for players that wish to only play for Ireland. If there are players that qualify for several countries and are disappointed when left out of squads and might be looking for a switch then let them go. We should only be looking at players that are committed to Ireland.

• Advertisement

As a complete baseline we should be looking for players that wish to only play for Ireland. If there are players that qualify for several countries and are disappointed when left out of squads and might be looking for a switch then let them go. We should only be looking at players that are committed to Ireland.

That's why the rule is that you have to have been frozen out for 3 years. This isn't about being disappointed you've been left out of a squad or two - it's for when the country you have pledged yourself to has turned their back on you as an option that you regain the option to play for someone else. And it has to have happened as a kid (under 21). Great rule change imo, as bigger countries are quick to lock players down when they've no real interest in developing them.

In this instance he's never mentioned switching, we're only raising the possibility that he now can because of the rule, and because of how long Ireland has gone without calling him up. Back at 18 he was unequivocal that he wanted to play for Ireland, and very proudly took the first cap they'd give him. He went out and did what we all wanted Graelish, and Rice, and Odubeko, and Bamford to do.

But in a broader sense, I think it's an obsolete view on nationality to say that you can only be one thing. It doesn't make any sense any more. You can of course be raised with a very culturally rich grounding in 2 nationalities, both of whom you are deeply connected to and would be proud to represent. Had Ireland turned them down, absolutely loads of our greatest and most fondly remembered players would have undoubtedly played for another country, like England or Scotland.

That's why the rule is that you have to have been frozen out for 3 years. This isn't about being disappointed you've been left out of a squad or two - it's for when the country you have pledged yourself to has turned their back on you as an option that you regain the option to play for someone else. And it has to have happened as a kid (under 21). Great rule change imo, as bigger countries are quick to lock players down when they've no real interest in developing them.

In this instance he's never mentioned switching, we're only raising the possibility that he now can because of the rule, and because of how long Ireland has gone without calling him up. Back at 18 he was unequivocal that he wanted to play for Ireland, and very proudly took the first cap they'd give him.

But in a broader sense, I think it's a very closed-minded and now-obselete view on nationality, to say that you can only be one thing. It doesn't make any sense any more. You can of course be raised with a very culturally rich grounding in 2 nationalities, both of whom you are deeply connected to and would be proud to represent.
    I totally agree with you, you can have a culturally rich background and upbringing but when it comes to playing for a national team you have to commit to that country in my mind to perform to the highest. Personally, I want someone who wants Ireland through and through over someone who plays their options. I respect everyone's decision but that's just my opinion. In relation to players we've "lost", in my mind they were never committed at all, and best of luck to them.

I totally agree with you, you can have a culturally rich background and upbringing but when it comes to playing for a national team you have to commit to that country in my mind to perform to the highest. Personally, I want someone who wants Ireland through and through over someone who plays their options. I respect everyone's decision but that's just my opinion. In relation to players we've "lost", in my mind they were never committed at all, and best of luck to them.

That rule is pretty strict so I don't think it really relates to what you're saying here... you really are tied down to the country you pick, as long as that country has any interest in you at all. And particularly with the rules as they were when Oba was capped, that locked him to us forever as far as he was concerned.

This rule is only for when the country you pledged yourself to decides not to select you for years on end that you're given something of a 'compassionate leave', so that your entire international career isn't killed by a decision when you were a kid. Seems fair enough to me.

I think what you're saying relates more to things like the Graelish or Rice situations, where they hedged their bets by not playing competitive senior matches, so they could switch straight to England without any hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

RonanG86 wrote: »

Harry Arter was selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harry Arter was selected.

He had a great 2 minute appearance on New Years Day.

None of the excuses about Obafemi make a lick of sense and just have a bang of inability to accept Kenny ever makes mistakes.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1398930500027289601

Surprised Johansson is starting given his lack of game time through injury. Not sure if it's 433 or playing a diamond in midfield given Grant, Johansson, Coventry, and Watson all starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Swiss well on top and have just scored

Swiss well on top and have just scored

Very poor defending for the goal. Under hit free kick which was poorly defended and fell for a Switzerland player to score.

Yeah the Swiss are the better of both teams so far.

Looked the better team after the water. Johansson, Grsnt, Ebosele and Wright looking the most impressive for us. Conor Noß on for Johansson in the second half, who looked comfortable on the ball but lacking match fitness.

• Advertisement

Two nil Switzerland. Poor poor keeping to be beating at your near post like that.

I haven't been looking at the game non stop but the Swiss look far better. I have seen a lot of basic errors from us but maybe this is the game to get them out of the system.

They just got a second as I type.

I haven't been looking at the game non stop but the Swiss look far better. I have seen a lot of basic errors from us but maybe this is the game to get them out of the system.

They just got a second as I type.

I think the sides are pretty even. Poor errors costing Ireland.

I think the sides are pretty even. Poor errors costing Ireland.

I think overall the Swiss have looked better. More composed in defence and look more threatening in attack. Be interesting to see how their lads are getting on at club level. The goal scorer is only 19 but has two and half seasons of club football in the Swiss Super League under his belt.

They definitely look the sharper side which you can see by our slow start to the opening half and then getting caught rotten for the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I've only been half watching but Ebosele looks to be exceptionally quick. Has made some bursting runs from deep and the Swiss couldn't keep up with him. Almost like Alphonso Davies type of a full back.

It's a very different team to Kennys 21s crop, Coventry is the only player really who was heavily involved from that team, Afolabi on the bench too.

I've only been half watching but Ebosele looks to be exceptionally quick. Has made some bursting runs from deep and the Swiss couldn't keep up with him. Almost like Alphonso Davies type of a full back.

It's a very different team to Kennys 21s crop, Coventry is the only player really who was heavily involved from that team, Afolabi on the bench too.

Has moved from playing wide right to right back at Derby. Would like to see the U21s try three at the back like the seniors to let Ebosele get forward more often given the lack of options we've got playing wide right. Ebosele himself is probably also our best player in that wide right position but probably our second choice right back behind Lee O'Connor at this age group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Has moved from playing wide right to right back at Derby. Would like to see the U21s try three at the back like the seniors to let Ebosele get forward more often given the lack of options we've got playing wide right. Ebosele himself is probably also our best player in that wide right position but probably our second choice right back behind Lee O'Connor at this age group.

Interesting, definitely one to keep an eye on I would say. Remember he looked good in one of the underage tournaments 2 or 3 years ago.

I forgot O'Connor is still young enough to play for the 21s, if they were to try out a back three system I think he would be perfect for the right centre back role that Coleman played for the senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was depressing

Did we have any shot on target at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ebosele is a talent, has always stood out at younger age groups.. Much more potential than Lee O'Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In this instance he's never mentioned switching, we're only raising the possibility that he now can because of the rule, and because of how long Ireland has gone without calling him up. Back at 18 he was unequivocal that he wanted to play for Ireland, and very proudly took the first cap they'd give him. He went out and did what we all wanted Graelish, and Rice, and Odubeko, and Bamford to do.

But in a broader sense, I think it's an obsolete view on nationality to say that you can only be one thing. It doesn't make any sense any more. You can of course be raised with a very culturally rich grounding in 2 nationalities, both of whom you are deeply connected to and would be proud to represent. Had Ireland turned them down, absolutely loads of our greatest and most fondly remembered players would have undoubtedly played for another country, like England or Scotland.

A depressing view, but reality also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Should that be how high the bar is for him though? And if so, why is it so low for Ogbene, or Parrott, or Szmodics, or Idah etc etc?

He's only been injured since January, so there's been a lot of windows where he's been fully fit both during and since the same breakout season Connolly had (only missed 4 games in the 19/20 season, and was then fit until January 2021).

It seems a bit mad to me that people wouldn't have a bit of empathy about a guy being frozen out for so long while someone else with an almost identical record was pushed to the front of the queue. We didn't hear a peep for the first 2 years of his time on the margins since his last callup in 2018 - it's only since Kenny's squads that he's been, like, "ah lads, are ya serious?", while we've named worse players and proceeded to not score goals at an alarming rate.

But again, as I said, beyond all this it's the pure mismanagement on a human level that's most frustrating. The biggest part of international management is keeping tabs with players, keeping everyone feeling good, and keeping your options and relationships open.

We've so many players who have no fckin interest in playing for us, so why alienate one of the few talented lads that actually really does?
    King Kenny knows best and we can't question him on his decisions given the results he is delivering

King Kenny knows best and we can't question him on his decisions given the results he is delivering

It shows how far the team has fallen. Never mind the lack of a win, for most mid level international teams losing a game at home to Luxembourg, ending any qualification hopes, would be a resigning result for the management.

He should have gone there and then but we don't have standards anymore only excuses.

The emerging player management issues don't surprise me at all.

Interesting, definitely one to keep an eye on I would say. Remember he looked good in one of the underage tournaments 2 or 3 years ago.

I forgot O'Connor is still young enough to play for the 21s, if they were to try out a back three system I think he would be perfect for the right centre back role that Coleman played for the senior team.

Yeah that was the U17s tournament we hosted back in 2019 I think. He got sent off against the Czech who were constantly throwing themselves to the ground looking for frees and to get lads booked.

Would also suit Richards more who'd be more comfortable at LCB, and add a bit more protection to the keeper which could be a problem area for the remaining of the campaign with Bazunu more than likely to remain with the seniors.

With O'Connor in the senior squad I actually wouldn't mind seeing him play RCB and move Coleman back out to RWB. Egan has returned now so will be in the centre of the back three and Coleman is needed more in the final third as we've no players that can make things happen now that McGoldrick is retired.
    Did we have any shot on target at all?

Don't think so, which will further highlight how weak we'll be in the final third for this campaign compared to the last. Kayode might come useful in time but he's a poor man's Idah and he doesn't have anyone like Parrott up there to support him.

Evan Ferguson was meant to be in this camp but apparently he's injured. That alone will probably show you the quality we've got at CF with this current group that 16yr old Ferguson was going to be fast tracked now that Idah, Connolly, and Parrott (all still underage) will be in or around the seniors and Obafemi is probably going to have his injury issues to rely on as your number one striker for the time being.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Ebosele is a talent, has always stood out at younger age groups.. Much more potential than Lee O'Connor

I'd agree, but long term neither guy might end up at RB. Could see O'Connor long term ending up as a number 6 as he develops more at senior level or playing in a back three. With his level of football intelligence he could switch between positions each game comfortably.

Similar I think Ebosele could end up at RW given our attacking options if 433 or 4231 is the formation of choice, but it's no harm for him to play RB right now and improve his defensive side of the game. He's a big lad that's not afraid to tackle but he's also very good going forward. Would like to see the U21s try three at the back sometime though. Would give him more room to get forward and O'Connor playing in a back three would add more composure and experience to a back line that looked nervous at times.

No real surprise to see Scully has been dropped for the Playoff Final, was kept fairly quiet over 2 legs of the Semi's.

EDIT: Gone one up as typed that. Fingers crossed they get over the line with or without Scully anyway.

Was thinking he could be carrying a knock, and they waited until the 80min to bring him on when they were trailing 2-1 since the 54min.

Looks like another season in League One unless he gets a transfer.

Yeah I'd say so, wouldn't have made sense otherwise. He looked very lively when he came on though and was determined to try make something happen.

I dont think another year of first team football in League One will harm him anyway if he doesn't get a move away.

No one more season wouldn't be the worse. He was in and out of the team all season, only started 22 of the 40 league games that he played in. Just needs to be careful that he doesn't overstays his time in League One like Curtis has done.

Disappointing performance. While we held our own for much of the match, the Swiss team were able to turn it on fairly effortlessly when required. We lacked cohesion and struggled to threaten them. Quite frankly we were the inferior team when it counted.

Ebosele was one of the few players we had that looked threatening for us. His pace and power was too much for the Swiss on a few occasions, but he lacked the quality around him to actually do much with the ball. Grant showed a few glimpses of some decent play, but the game mostly bypassed him, just like it did with Johansson and Coventry. Coventry probably disappointed most, as the most senior professional, I would have expected him to be able to assert himself better.

Coleman out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It shows how far the team has fallen. Never mind the lack of a win, for most mid level international teams losing a game at home to Luxembourg, ending any qualification hopes, would be a resigning result for the management.

He should have gone there and then but we don't have standards anymore only excuses.

He should have magicked up all these world class players for us also or he should be sacked and banned from ever working again, anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, losing to Luxembourg at home is a humiliating result, but I've never seen an Irish manager resign after such a result, that early in the campaign/tenure. The closest I've seen is Mick resigning after losing to Switzerland and Russia, but that was also coming off the back of Saipan, and having been 8 years in the job. If Staunton didn't immediately get the sack for losing 2-5 to Cyprus, it would be hard to expect that Kenny will be sacked for losing to Luxembourg.

He'll probably go after this campaign is out, but we've seen this cycle before. Bringing in a more experienced top-level manager always has the same conclusion - "these lads can't play open expansive football, so I will set them up not to be beaten. Worked for Trap until the Euros. Worked for O'Neill until Denmark. After these, belief in the system slumped and the managers were sacked. Right now we're in the other part of the cycle where the team tries to play football, but get's picked apart for fun at the back, and back come the calls for a defensive manager.

This cycle will never end until some players of real quality come through, which may be a while yet, if it ever happens, considering the state of the FAI and the domestic football system.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement