Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Yeah I'm seriously disagreeing. He could still be there if things remain the same. I think things will improve but if they're somewhat similar to what they are now then I wouldn't be too surprised to see them continue with him. Whether that's the right call, who knows. But a lot of people here seem to be keen on the idea of getting rid of him regardless of the options out there to replace him, or the finances available to do so. Delusional is thinking we have a different squad/player base than we actually have. Delusional is thinking we don't deserve to be where we are.

I used the somewhat similar example of what happened with Northern Ireland. That was a scenario where you could say no progress was made (1 win in 18 games) and I'd bet that people were saying the same (i.e. so certain he would be fired if x didn't happen) about Michael O'Neill back then. Funnily enough, a lot of you are fond of mentioning Luxembourg and the North went from drawing with them to losing a year later. So argubaly a regression in that regard and yet they held on to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think I am at a crossroads here. Richie Sadlier highlighted a number of issues with the performance against Andorra. They had a camp for a week and it is unclear what progress (if any) has been made. I also think there is a certain lethargy from some of the senior players in the squad. Doherty (imo) doesn't offer very much and Egan I thought always took the easy pass rather than trying to play it out to create something. Many of the passes he made seemed completely pointless. McClean and Curtis were poor aswell. Curtis in particular may not get called up again.
    At this stage I think we need to be seeing a team that plays with a bit of coherence and enthusiasm. We didn't see this against Andorra until going 1 down. After the second goal we sat back again for a period. It was only when the substitutions were made that things perked up again.

I cannot see us beating Hungary but I think we need to see a good performance. After that I think Kenny is running out of time to show us that he is the man for the future. I am happy to have given him time but there needs to be progress. I haven't seen the progress yet and am running out of patience with the project.
    Sadlier I think is also on the verge of major criticism. I think if Kenny loses Sadlier's goodwill then that is the beginning of the end for him.

Fingers crossed against Hungary for I want Kenny to succeed because I want Ireland to succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

sterz wrote: »
    Yeah I'm seriously disagreeing. He could still be there if things remain the same. I think things will improve but if they're somewhat similar to what they are now then I wouldn't be too surprised to see them continue with him. Whether that's the right call, who knows. But a lot of people here seem to be keen on the idea of getting rid of him regardless of the options out there to replace him, or the finances available to do so. Delusional is thinking we have a different squad/player base than we actually have. Delusional is thinking we don't deserve to be where we are.

I used the somewhat similar example of what happened with Northern Ireland. That was a scenario where you could say no progress was made (1 win in 18 games) and I'd bet that people were saying the same (i.e. so certain he would be fired if x didn't happen) about Michael O'Neill back then. Funnily enough, a lot of you are fond of mentioning Luxembourg and the North went from drawing with them to losing a year later. So argubaly a regression in that regard and yet they held on to him.

Have you a problem with using the quote function?

He has 6 games left in the current WC qualifiers, if there’s no sign of progress he should be sacked. It would be the definition of delusional to continue on with him if there’s no sign of progress. Hopefully we’ll see that progress.

Not at all. It was a direct reply to your post, just like this one is. I think you were able to figure out I was speaking to you.

It wouldn't be the definition of delusional, you'd like it to be, but it wouldn't be. I've provided a similar example a couple of times now which you've managed to selectively ignore.

sugarman wrote: »
    Disappointing to see hes persisting with Ferry at LB who has been fairly poor over 2 other games. He should be using these games to have a look at as many players as he can. I know Roughan is out of this one, but he should have been involved in the last game and Flynn should have been given a run out in this one.

Yeah I'm finding this Will Ferry at LB strange, not even sure if he's played there for Southampton. Would have been nice to see Flynn get the start today, especially since he's only got 15mins against the Swiss at RB and we ain't stacked with LBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Going back over well covered ground here but looking at how long Michael O'Neill got with Northern Ireland makes me think that it's not that cut and dried. It took him ten games to get a victory and then he went on to lose the next eight games, including drawing and losing to the mighty Luxembourg.

Major difference with Michael O'Neill and Kenny's situation besides covid19. Is that Michael O'Neill kept things simple for the limited players he had. Made themselves organised hard to beat defend like mad. Get a fast fella to break etc.

Much easier to do that approach regardless of the technical ability of the players. Michael O'Neill's approach with NI was a purely organisational based approach. Exactly the type of style the 'dreamers and football purists' from the ROI give out about.

Kenny is trying to get the players play in a more technical style. Which is more difficult, and particularly so given he clearly does not have the players available to do it imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not at all. It was a direct reply to your post, just like this one is. I think you were able to figure out I was speaking to you.

It wouldn't be the definition of delusional, you'd like it to be, but it wouldn't be. I've provided a similar example a couple of times now which you've managed to selectively ignore.

It is the definition of delusional.

You keep talking about Northern Ireland and Michael O’Neill I didn’t watch those games closely. Maybe there was signs of progress despite the poor results? We’ll need signs of progress from Stephen Kenny otherwise he should be replaced for the Euros.

The quote function is there for others to follow a conversation. I suggest you use it but sure you can do what you like. A bit odd like your assertion that performance and signs of progress (or not as the case may be) in the next 6 games in the WC qualifiers, will have no bearing on whether Stephen Kenny remains in charge at the start of the next Euro qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1401085110364119047

Remember watching this in school. We even got a half day to go home and watch the Iran games, or more like our teacher sent us home so he could go home and watch them. Had an actual class debate about Saipan, and must have spent more time listening to the news on the radio than doing actual school work. Probably gonna be another 19 years before we qualify for another WC.

I was meant to be on a plane to America during that match. There ended up being a strike and the flight got postponed by a few days so I got to watch it in the pub. I'm so thankful because that was the single greatest euphoric sporting celebration that I've ever had. Kahn looked unbeatable that day. If we lost we were practically out as the Nigerians and Germans could've played out a draw in the last match to eliminate us. It was already into injury time. The stakes couldn't have been higher. When the ball hit the net there was about 20 seconds when everyone in the pub collectively lost their minds. People were jumping up and down screaming, hugging, crying, pints spilled everywhere, nobody caring....immense.

I remember walking home from the pub later that day in my jersey and every stranger I passed saluted me with a massive smile on their face. After the gloom and division of Saipan it was like the whole country got slipped a few yokes. It was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Magic there from McGuinness, throwing his head at a goalbound shot to put it over.

I was meant to be on a plane to America during that match. There ended up being a strike and the flight got postponed by a few days so I got to watch it in the pub. I'm so thankful because that was the single greatest euphoric sporting celebration that I've ever had. Kahn looked unbeatable that day. If we lost we were practically out as the Nigerians and Germans could've played out a draw in the last match to eliminate us. It was already into injury time. The stakes couldn't have been higher. When the ball hit the net there was about 20 seconds when everyone in the pub collectively lost their minds. People were jumping up and down screaming, hugging, crying, pints spilled everywhere, nobody caring....immense.

I remember walking home from the pub later that day in my jersey and every stranger I passed saluted me with a massive smile on their face. After the gloom and division of Saipan it was like the whole country got slipped a few yokes. It was amazing.

I was sitting my leaving cert, feckin' worst timing ever.

• Advertisement

Major difference with Michael O'Neill and Kenny's situation besides covid19. Is that Michael O'Neill kept things simple for the limited players he had. Made themselves organised hard to beat defend like mad. Get a fast fella to break etc.

Much easier to do that approach regardless of the technical ability of the players. Michael O'Neill's approach with NI was a purely organisational based approach. Exactly the type of style the 'dreamers and football purists' from the ROI give out about.

Kenny is trying to get the players play in a more technical style. Which is more difficult, and particularly so given he clearly does not have the players available to do it imo.
    I think he might be giving up on the technical style thing which is fine. We all want to see decent football, looking after the ball where possible but it must also be practical based on the quality of players at your disposal. So if Kenny goes a more practical route, great, hopefully results and performances will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Great goal for Denmark, well on top in this game.

TheCitizen wrote: »

You keep talking about Northern Ireland and Michael O’Neill I didn’t watch those games closely. Maybe there was signs of progress despite the poor results? We’ll need signs of progress from Stephen Kenny otherwise he should be replaced for the Euros.

The quote function is there for others to follow a conversation. I suggest you use it but sure you can do what you like. A bit odd like your assertion that performance and signs of progress (or not as the case may be) in the next 6 games in the WC qualifiers, will have no bearing on whether Stephen Kenny remains in charge at the start of the next Euro qualifiers.

I looked up Michael O'Neill's results.

First game defeat to Norway 0-3 2012 and left the NI job in April 2020 .

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2012/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2013/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2014/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2015/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2016/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2017/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2018/3/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/nordirland-team/2019/3/

Seemed to be very few heavy defeats except the Netherlands and Germany games in qualifying matches.

Great goal for Denmark, well on top in this game.

Yeah Denmark have been different gravy and showing why they're one of the top nation's at U21 level. Have only missed out on three of the last nine tournaments. Probably the only positive is the U19s might have a goaly with decent distribution if Rose doesn't stay with the U21s and drops back down come November.

Again, it's not delusional at all and I've highlighted why. It's happened before elsewhere so it could happen to Ireland. And I keep talking about Northern Ireland because it's relevant (and you kept ignoring it because it doesn't suit your narrative).

I didn't say it will have no bearing. I said he could still be in the manager's role if things remain the same.

And I'm fine for your suggestions, you can keep them to yourself.

Again, it's not delusional at all and I've highlighted why. It's happened before elsewhere so it could happen to Ireland. And I keep talking about Northern Ireland because it's relevant (and you kept ignoring it because it doesn't suit your narrative).

I didn't say it will have no bearing. I said he could still be in the manager's role if things remain the same.

And I'm fine for your suggestions, you can keep them to yourself.

Again it is delusional to suggest as you have that he will remain in place for the next qualifying campaign even if there is no signs of progress in the rest of the WC qualifiers. Utterly delusional. If it’s the case that the FAI leave him in place without signs of progress then it is utterly delusional on their behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We are getting killed trying to play it out from the back all the time. McEntee in particular looks particularly uncomfortable with the ball at feet.

Again it is delusional to suggest as you have that he will remain in place for the next qualifying campaign even if there is no signs of progress in the rest of the WC qualifiers. Utterly delusional. If it’s the case that the FAI leave him in place without signs of progress then it is utterly delusional on their behalf.

Again, not at all. It seems like you didn't read all of this post which suggests why he could remain in the job for longer than some would like.

Really poor performance from us and we were not at all helped by Crawford's tactics. Playing out from the back only works when you have defenders who are confident on the ball and you've midfielders who can find space to distribute it. We had neither on the pitch today. McEntee really struggled and lost the ball several times in dangerous areas for us. Both Coventry and Johansson tried to drop deep to help, but didn't have the ability of the Danish midfielders and were always forced backwards when pressed. Crawford should be telling the defenders to mix it up and go long some of the time. As it stands, the Danes knew we'd try to play out every time, and all they had to do was press us and we'd lose the ball in the majority of times. It was especially painful as they Danes were able to play out from defence themselves with almost total impunity. If we were to play Switzerland or Denmark again, I feel like Crawford would try the exact same thing again and get the same predictably bad result.

Some positives, Rose had a decent debut and is still very young, hopefully he can kick on. McGuinness is clearly a decent defender and did well today with regard to defensive duties. His ability with the ball at feet isn't great, but frankly neither is Duffy's or Egan's and they are both guaranteed to make the squad. If he can get a Championship loan and impress enough to get a permanent move for the season after, he might have a shout at making the senior team for us. Ferry at left back looked decent and barely put a foot wrong. Johansson looked to have a little more about him than Coventry, he has only just come back from injury, so hopefully he will improve. Wright was probably the pick of the attackers, created our only half chance of the game and at least had a decent physical presence that the Danes were comfortable against.

• Advertisement

Again, not at all. It seems like you didn't read all of this post which suggests why he could remain in the job for longer than some would like.

Utterly delusional unless there is progress made in the rest of the WC campaign, and utterly delusional if the FAI persist with him unless there are signs of progress as I said in post 8916 above.

Fans will be back in the stadium in the Autumn, if there's no progress being made by Stephen it will not be acceptable. Utterly delusional to think otherwise, but sure off you go. Enjoy your evening.

We are getting killed trying to play it out from the back all the time. McEntee in particular looks particularly uncomfortable with the ball at feet.

The worrying thing is there seems to be no plan B. Fair enough we're missing more than our fair share because we gotta move players onto the senior team quicker because of years of negligence by the FAI, but it's a worry that we'll go into this upcoming campaign and play like that against the likes of Italy and Sweden who'll have a field day, especially Italy.

Would have liked to seen us try three at the back to at least see how the lads do with another formation that the seniors have used recently. Whether it was two up top or the one striker with two lads playing outside him. Would suit Ebosele and Ferry more if Crawford is going to persist with Ferry at LB. McEntee yeah I wouldn't trust but Richards plays there for Wolves and Garcia McNulty is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Would also offer better support for Kayode up front, who seems to be more effective when he's brought on rather than starting.

Either way I do feel a bit sorry for Crawford because the squad is probably gonna keep getting depleted, especially over the next few years as quite a few of our lads will be hitting the big 3-0 this season and more of the younger players move on to take their places.

Utterly delusional unless there is progress made in the rest of the WC campaign, and utterly delusional if the FAI persist with him unless there are signs of progress as I said in post 8916 above.

Fans will be back in the stadium in the Autumn, if there's no progress being made by Stephen it will not be acceptable. Utterly delusional to think otherwise, but sure off you go. Enjoy your evening.

Someone must be paying you to keep posting that word.

Like I said, it's entirely possible that some will accept it. Some may see progress, some may see the team regressing. I'm not sure why you're struggling with that concept. You seem to be so sure of things and can't entertain the idea that he could be in the role if things don't change.

Off you go too, ultimately it'll be the FAI's call in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whether or not Kenny turns it around is up in the air (I wouldn't fancy him to improve results now after having lost one of the easier games).

But there is no way anyone can argue there has been progress outside of us playing ok In Slovakia.

We've played okay in spells in some of the games but it just hasn't been consistent enough. I think the first half vs Serbia was the best I've seen them play. And looking back over the results again now, the margins are extremely fine. The only game they never had a chance of winning was vs England.

A major issue will be finding someone that we can rely on to score in order to start turning some of these draws into wins. I don't know how he works around that. Collins is definitely not the answer. Connolly can be lively but his record is terrible. Still young but he's only scored 5 goals in 41 for his club. And even if Kenny was to change the style of play (which I don't think he will), it still doesn't change the fact that we don't have a goalscorer in that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We've played okay in spells in some of the games but it just hasn't been consistent enough. I think the first half vs Serbia was the best I've seen them play. And looking back over the results again now, the margins are extremely fine. The only game they never had a chance of winning was vs England.

A major issue will be finding someone that we can rely on to score in order to start turning some of these draws into wins. I don't know how he works around that. Collins is definitely not the answer. Connolly can be lively but his record is terrible. Still young but he's only scored 5 goals in 41 for his club. And even if Kenny was to change the style of play (which I don't think he will), it still doesn't change the fact that we don't have a goalscorer in that team.

I don't know how you say our only striker with any goalscoring form isn't the answer.

I remember when he started against Georgia a few years ago, posters were up in arms at big man lacking mobility.

Unless a better player comes along, and Connolly has stalled beyond recognition last season, we'd be doing well to play to someone like Collins' strengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It is funny to watch people flip flop from "results are all that matters" to "performances aren't good enough" as and when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Kenny isn't a good manager and it's easy to prove. In fact, it's easy to prove he's thick.

(1) He only has the international team for a short amount of time. This is not enough time to make the players better at football, make them change how they play, and make them work well together as a cohesive team. He hasn't understood that being an international manager and being a club manager are entirely different and you cannot apply the same tactical thinking to both.

(2) The players are not great, so trying to get them to play an attractive style (typically requires good players or at least players who are training using this style day in and day out) is not really possible.

This is why intelligent managers don't do what he's doing, and instead make the team (a) highly organised and (b) difficult to play against.

The fact he still can't understand this is depressing and shows we're dealing with a thick man who thinks there's no reason he can't turn mutton into lamb.

Trapattoni didn't use the boring organised and difficult to play against approach because he enjoyed that, it's because that's what you have to do when you have a below average team. Look at Northern Ireland.

Well, colour me surprised. The guy who was hoping for an Andorra win the other evening comes out with the above.

The worrying thing is there seems to be no plan B. Fair enough we're missing more than our fair share because we gotta move players onto the senior team quicker because of years of negligence by the FAI, but it's a worry that we'll go into this upcoming campaign and play like that against the likes of Italy and Sweden who'll have a field day, especially Italy.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Crawford to be winning much with what he's got and a few of our better under 21's already in the senior team. What I do expect is that he is able to adapt better to give these players the best chance at succeeding, which he is not doing. He either needs to stop always playing out from the back, or else put an extra body in the defence/midfield so we can try retain the ball better. Against both Switzerland and Denmark, our attacking players saw almost none of the ball because everything was breaking down long before it got to the final third. At least Kenny tried something different with the three at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

OMM 0000 wrote: »

Trapattoni didn't use the boring organised and difficult to play against approach because he enjoyed that, it's because that's what you have to do when you have a below average team. Look at Northern Ireland.

Shay Given, John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane, prime Kevin Doyle were certainly not below average.

Even the rest of the guys filling out the team, such as Kilbane, Mcgeady etc were solid players at a decent level.

The best performance (and win if you include normal time) from that team was the away performance in France. They played football and went at France that day and were far the better side in normal time.
    Whether Trap was right or wrong to take that approach is debatable, what isn't, is that side were of a decent quality and are far, far better than the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Tommy Conlan, today's indo"if football didn't require a football, McClean would be up there with Messi". Give me a chuckle, pretty accurate description

Irish football fan tv had a Hungarian fan on discussing in’s and out’s of the team.
    Missing thier best player for euros. Workman like team strong at back likely to play on the counter.

Arguably Hungary are lucky to be going to the Euros fortunate with the draw getting Bulgaria etc. A team Ireland struggled against but Hungary brushed aside. Match should be a good gauge if there are signs of progress for Kenny. Hopefully Hungary play their first team even if they do mind themselves a bit. I want to see Ireland tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tommy Conlan, today's indo"if football didn't require a football, McClean would be up there with Messi". Give me a chuckle, pretty accurate description

The fact McClean is still a first choice in this team is deeply depressing but we have no alternatives :( Any manager has to come to terms with the fact our team is of such a poor standard. Troy Parrot aside (and he has his own challenges atm) there is little potential quality to work with in key areas. That's the only sympathy I have for Kenny really.

And it's valid argument in favor of Kenny to be fair.

If we had more talent coming through but similar results he'd be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Trap was an absolute disciple of Catenaccio and would have used it with his Irish team who were not at all below average and used it with skillful club teams too. So yes he did enjoy it I would say he even loved that style of play

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Kenny isn't a good manager and it's easy to prove. In fact, it's easy to prove he's thick.

(1) He only has the international team for a short amount of time. This is not enough time to make the players better at football, make them change how they play, and make them work well together as a cohesive team. He hasn't understood that being an international manager and being a club manager are entirely different and you cannot apply the same tactical thinking to both.

(2) The players are not great, so trying to get them to play an attractive style (typically requires good players or at least players who are training using this style day in and day out) is not really possible.

This is why intelligent managers don't do what he's doing, and instead make the team (a) highly organised and (b) difficult to play against.

The fact he still can't understand this is depressing and shows we're dealing with a thick man who thinks there's no reason he can't turn mutton into lamb.

Neither of your two points came close to proving Kenny is "thick". In fact all they proved is that you have not studied other international teams and how they set up. And based your points on loose biases you hope are true.

There's been numerous examples of international teams performing to a higher level than the sum of their parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Harry Arter came out here with supporting words of Kenny. He says its a "Premier League style camp"

Maybe this is why he is being picked?!! :pac:

E3Naz6IWEAExY9-?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Big Ears wrote: »
    Shay Given, John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane, prime Kevin Doyle were certainly not below average.

Even the rest of the guys filling out the team, such as Kilbane, Mcgeady etc were solid players at a decent level.

The best performance (and win if you include normal time) from that team was the away performance in France. They played football and went at France that day and were far the better side in normal time.
    Whether Trap was right or wrong to take that approach is debatable, what isn't, is that side were of a decent quality and are far, far better than the current squad.

No question the quality of the squad we had available a decade ago under Trap was vastly above the level of the current squad which as I have said before IMHO is the worst Ireland squad from a talent standpoint since the early 70's.

eire4 wrote: »
    No question the quality of the squad we had available a decade ago under Trap was vastly above the level of the current squad which as I have said before IMHO is the worst Ireland squad from a talent standpoint since the early 70's.

I think this team is a little better than the final Mick teams or at least have the potential to be.
    I never felt as little enthusiasm or love for an Irish team as I did the Arter/Hendrick/Christie teams

I see Christie has had his contract extended for a year at Fulham.

• Advertisement

Leicester City the latest team linked with Nathan Collins. They've only got three senior CBs now that Morgan is retiring and have played three at the back a lot with midfielders and full backs often having to play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not the worst move for him, though barring injury, LC chs are set in stone

Leicester City the latest team linked with Nathan Collins. They've only got three senior CBs now that Morgan is retiring and have played three at the back a lot with midfielders and full backs often having to play there.
    Arsenal apparently in the hunt for him as well.

I would have been happy enough for him to step up to Burnley just to get him in the Premier League, so these links are fantastic to see. I think at either Arsenal or Leicester, he'd have a reasonable prospect of getting games.

Not the worst move for him, though barring injury, LC chs are set in stone

I'd say Leicester are looking long term if they're eyeing up Collins. Jonny Evans is 33 and will be 35 when his contract is up.

Big advantage Leicester and Arsenal probably have over Burnley would be they could probably afford to let him stay at Stoke for a little bit next season or fully whereas Burnley would probably be buying him to replace Tardowski. Also would have young defenders they could send there on loan like McGuiness in Arsenal's case. Burnley are also apparently eyeing up his Stoke teammate Harry Souttar.
    Arsenal apparently in the hunt for him as well.

I would have been happy enough for him to step up to Burnley just to get him in the Premier League, so these links are fantastic to see. I think at either Arsenal or Leicester, he'd have a reasonable prospect of getting games.

If Rob Holding can not only play for but also captain Arsenal then I'd be confident that Collins could break into the team.

Similar I'd be confident that he'd get reasonable game time at Leicester too as they'd want him to replace Evans long term and they've played three at the back a lot. They've also got Europa League and you'd expect them to do well in the other cups. If he was to play cup games only he'd probably get +10 games and then whatever league games because of injuries, suspensions etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Big Ears wrote: »

Good point. I've always thought the senior pros like Duff and Keane saw their last chance of going to a World Cup, cut loose and went at France regardless of what Trap said.
    It's just hard to believe the same Trap that went to a Euros with an over the hill Keane as a lone striker and an unfit Given had anything to do with that performance in Paris.

Seems to be a fair few clubs stepping up their interest in McNulty Garcia, according to Sky Sports Germany Marseille are now in for him having been linked with Eintrahct Frankfurt and Sevilla last week.

I know he is already in Germany but overall it's great to see our players finally realize it's not England or nothing

Seems to be a fair few clubs stepping up their interest in McNulty Garcia, according to Sky Sports Germany Marseille are now in for him having been linked with Eintrahct Frankfurt and Sevilla last week.

The Wolfsburg managing director was talking about how he'll be promoted to train with the first team next season or sent out on loan. They won't be fielding a reserve side and have struck up a partnership with a club in Austria who were just relegated to the second division for young lads to gain experience on loan.

Paul O'Hehir reporting that Parrott is gonna keep his place in the starting XI. Kenny's Kids tweeting that they've heard Idah, Knight, Bazunu, Duffy, and Hourihane are possibly starting tomorrow against Hungary too.

Interesting if both Parrott and possibly Idah start together, and might indicate 3-5-2 or same formation as last game with Idah replacing Collins and Parrott behind him as the 10. There's also gonna be a near full crowd at tomorrow's game which should make it more interesting.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I know he is already in Germany but overall it's great to see our players finally realize it's not England or nothing

True, but he was born in Spain. Though quite a few young players now are starting to go on trials with clubs in Germany and Italy. Stephen Ireland has been setting up trials for young lads now that you can't move to the UK until 18. His own young lad was abroad at a few clubs last season training with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Good point. I've always thought the senior pros like Duff and Keane saw their last chance of going to a World Cup, cut loose and went at France regardless of what Trap said.
    It's just hard to believe the same Trap that went to a Euros with an over the hill Keane as a lone striker and an unfit Given had anything to do with that performance in Paris.

I would say there is a good chance your right. That is essentially what happened during the European qualifier against Russia at home when playing Traps way we were 3-0 down at half. The players essentially ignored Trap and went for it in the second half almost rescuing the game before losing 3-2.

• Advertisement

True, but he was born in Spain. Though quite a few young players now are starting to go on trials with clubs in Germany and Italy. Stephen Ireland has been setting up trials for young lads now that you can't move to the UK until 18. His own young lad was abroad at a few clubs last season training with them.

Its good to see. The English seem to have copped it finally too that all the foreign players getting contracts in their league doesn't have to be a one way thing.

Its amazing to see how many dual nationality Irish players starting to pop up round Europe too with a couple even going to the Euros

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement