Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Obafemi should be in the squad. Understandable he is very frustrated. Smallbone I rate highly too, would like to see him involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A regular premier league (26 games and 4 goals 4 assists last season )forward in Obafemi dropped for Parrot and Idah is just plan wrong.

Also Sane Long shouldn't be ahead of him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

While I think Obafemi warranted a place in the squad, it was the case that Kenny was picking Idah and Parrott ahead of him for the 21s on a regular basis, so he obviously feels like they offer something else.

TBF to Obafemi he had injury problems last year which prevented him from call ups and even when he was called up couldn't train as much as the others because of issues with his injuries needing to be managed . Plus the other two offer better options through the centre than 5ft 6 Obafemi whose going to find it hard to make it as a CF like Connolly.

Unless we play two up top then Obafemi will have to play out wide like Connolly whose the better player but everyone has acknowledged that he'll find it hard to make it as a centre forward because of his height and is better suited to play out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While I agree Obafemi is unlucky to miss out, purely on games played rather than performances, tweeting isn't going to do himself any good, even 'cryptic' stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Corholio wrote: »
    While I agree Obafemi is unlucky to miss out, purely on games played rather than performances, tweeting isn't going to do himself any good, even 'cryptic' stuff.

No definitely not going to do anyone any good, do feel for him as I think he deserves a spot in the squad ahead of a few that were named such as Parrott, Idah, Brady and O'Dowda. Maybe Kenny doesn't rate him as he didn't seem to feature too much for the u21s either. You would feel bad for him if that's the case - two years ago Irish fans were desperate to get him on board and the whole will he/won't he thing with MON. Fast forward to now and he can't even get in the squad, must be frustrating.

Duffy looks like he may be going to Celtic. Disappointed in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really disappointed by Obafemi missing out. Honestly think my first 3 names for those forward positions that I'd have definitely wanted involved would have been McGoldrick, Connolly, and Obafemi, and worked from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

0-IMG-0646-JPEG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The omission of Obafemi is an absolute disgrace. I can't believe it. He scored goals against two sides that qualified for the Champions League and has been left out in favour of lads that haven't proven themselves to anywhere near that extent. It's baffling. Obafemi should have been one of the first forwards named.

This was Stephen Kenny's first test in the job and he has failed it spectacularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

can anyone remember anything remarkable that O'Dowda has done when playing for Ireland? good or bad? just don't get him in the squad.

Comments from Kenny's press conference regarding Obafemi.

Speaking to the media today, Kenny explained that Obafemi remains in contention for future senior squads and that his exclusion from this one was a tactical decision. Kenny’s Ireland are likely to play with a single striker in a front three, he explained, whereas Obafemi has been playing as part of a front two at Southampton.

“Michael is a great lad”, said Kenny. “I think he’s been playing in a front two a lot, he’s still learning the position playing wider. That’s something he’s still coming to terms with. He’s in a much better physical condition at the moment, Michael has a very good future ahead of himself. I hope he goes into the U21 squad and does well now at that level and hopefully gets into the Southampton team.

“The manager at Southampton, Ralph Hassenhutl, has been brilliant for him. Michael didn’t make this squad, but squads are evolving and changing. We do play with one lone central striker and he’s not played that role that much because his team play with a two.

“It is a different position. He has played wide with Southampton on occasion, he’s still learning that one. I see him as a striker and he’s someone who hopefully has a big future with Ireland.”

Kenny did not make contact with Obafemi to explain his exclusion. During the early weeks of the lockdown, Kenny made contact with players who had made previous senior squads under Mick McCarthy, though Obafemi wasn’t on this list.

“He hasn’t been in any of the previous squads in the last campaign. I spoke to all the players who were in the squad in the last campaign, even those who were omitted from the last few squads. But Michael wasn’t in any of them. Michael has to go into the U21s and do well at that level.”

Nothing cryptic about his first tweet saying disgrace, then deleting it for interesting instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

it is strange to say the least that Obafemi doesn't warrant a place in the squad. I won't be getting on Kenny's back about it though. The best thing Michael can do though is get the head down and prove Kenny wrong on the pitch.

Can Obafemi still switch to Nigeria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The omission of Obafemi is an absolute disgrace. I can't believe it. He scored goals against two sides that qualified for the Champions League and has been left out in favour of lads that haven't proven themselves to anywhere near that extent. It's baffling. Obafemi should have been one of the first forwards named.

This was Stephen Kenny's first test in the job and he has failed it spectacularly.

I'm as disappointed as anyone to see Obafemi has missed out, it's harsh but to say Kenny has failed spectacularly in his team selection is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So he contacted others but wasn't arsèd contacting Obafemi?

That is interesting tbf.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not currently, but if those rule changes go ahead next month he'll be eligible for them the end of next year provided he doesn't play for us again between now and then.

Ah I see. I'd argue that it would have been useful to have him in the squad and give him a run out. His form justifies it also. So on that point it is a bit curios as to why Stephen hasn't picked him.

If Obafemi does manage to switch to Nigeria it's an option that Kenny is then down. Also serious egg on the face if he starts scoring regularly in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Duffy looks like he may be going to Celtic. Disappointed in that.

He'd be as well off in League One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah come on now, surely you can't be serious, failed spectacularly? :confused:

I do think Obafemi should have been included in the squad but it's hardly a crime leaving him out and probably unlikely he would have seen much time on the pitch. Kenny has given his reasons for not selecting him and has said that he is open to selecting him again in future. Aside from Obafemi and maybe O'Shea it is hard to see who else could feel hard done by not being in the squad.

Give the lad a chance to play a match first before saying he has failed spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Jesus ****ing christ I've often spectacularly overreacted to things in my time but this takes the biscuit he hasn't even managed a game yet ffs.

sugarman wrote: »
    Is it? It reads to me he was only in contact with the senior lads already involved. Very good chance he wasnt onto Molumby, Parrott an Idah too].

Because that's what he meant. Plus Obafemi spent more time with Kenny last year than with the seniors. So not like he's never spoken to the lad since he's been employed by the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ridiculous decision in fairness. Parrott spent more time hanging out with gangsters than playing first team football last season. Idah can’t get a head of Drmic. Kenny not even got one game behind him and playing favourites. This will end in disaster, mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Kenny out!

radiata wrote: »
    Kenny out!

He should never have been in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kenny has left arguably our most promising young striker disgruntled, a player that under FIFA's new proposed rule changes would still be eligible to switch to Nigeria - the country whose U-17 side he tried to make years ago, and who his mother wanted him to play for. That alone should have given Kenny pause for thought when making his selection. It would be the most Irish thing ever to shoot ourselves in the foot without any need.

And did he not even have the class or common sense to call up the lad and explain to him that he is still very much in his thoughts? Judging by Obafemi's reaction, he didn't.

So yeah, he failed this first test spectacularly. Make no mistake the rest of the squad are aware he has made a pig's ear of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Kenny has left arguably our most promising young striker disgruntled, a player that under FIFA's new proposed rule changes would still be eligible to switch to Nigeria - the country whose U-17 side he tried to make years ago, and who his mother wanted him to play for. That alone should have given Kenny pause for thought when making his selection. It would be the most Irish thing ever to shoot ourselves in the foot without any need.

And did he not even have the class or common sense to call up the lad and explain to him that he is still very much in his thoughts? Judging by Obafemi's reaction, he didn't.

So yeah, he failed this first test spectacularly. Make no mistake the rest of the squad are aware he has made a pig's ear of this.

Jaysus didn’t take long for Mr Nice Guy to get the knives out for Stephen Kenny. Not even a honeymoon period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If you actually read what Kenny said then it makes sense. Kenny doesn't really want to park the bus and lump it up for Obafemi to run after. Obafemi is fairly erratic technically. He might be a good option against top teams who dominate us and I'm sure we'll see him in squads but for these games, given the style of play the manager wants, then I don't see the purpose Obafemi would have.

He is a more valuable player on paper than O'Dowda but O'Dowda will play out wide if selected and he's fairly neat and tidy on the ball.

Obafemi's reaction says a lot.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Obafemi's reaction says a lot.

That where the worry kicks in

He could 'concentrate on club football' and refuse a call up then 15 months down the line he will say hello to Nigeria

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That where the worry kicks in

He could 'concentrate on club football' and refuse a call up then 15 months down the line he will say hello to Nigeria

If that's his level of commitment then he can go and take his mother with him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

How is it possible for you to apparently watch so much football, and yet still post absolute nonsense like that? Cop yourself on. Reaction like a teenager because a player has been left out.

How is it possible for you to apparently watch so much football, and yet still post absolute nonsense like that? Cop yourself on. Reaction like a teenager because a player has been left out.

Wonder if the same people were up in arms when Mick wouldn't pick Obafemi but yet gave Parrott and O'Connor starts when they weren't even playing with their clubs last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

You’ve jumped over the fence baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Appalling decision,
    How in Gods name can you make that call,
    Obafemi 100% deserves to be in the squad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's a two way street he's been arguable the best Irish striker since Janauray and can't get into the squad, When lads who literally don't play have,

As a player you'd be thinking what chance do I have of the lads picked before me actually start to play football matches,

If he can't get picked right now the future looks bleek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wow he scored a goal in a pre season friendly against a German 3rd division club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

adaminho wrote: »

Meh, I've scored better on the astro turf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It's very strange how Obafemi hasn't been included and I doubt Obafemi will accept the call up to the u21s.

He will pick up an "injury"

Did I miss something?

Is this a phrase, or has his mother said something, or is she good enough to play for Nigeria too?

Did I miss something?

Is this a phrase, or has his mother said something, or is she good enough to play for Nigeria too?

His mother wanted him to play for Nigeria

Knew it wouldn't take long but boy there's sure some shark jumping well and truly done already. I'm trying to think if there's a meme or copy pasta I'm missing but sadly not. Inevitable but still pretty sad, in both meanings of the term.

• Advertisement

A poor decision from Kenny no doubt. There is still potential to lose Obafemi to Nigeria. Regardless of that he has played more minutes in the PL than Parrott and Idah combined. He has 4 goals and 4 assists also so surely warrants a squad place on that.

Kenny name checking James Collins in his presser is worrying though too.

Kenny is new to international management so we shouldn't be overly harsh but he will be judged on decisions like this and if things don't go right straight away in terms of results it will only add to the pressure. Hopefully that doesnt happen.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    It's very strange how Obafemi hasn't been included and I doubt Obafemi will accept the call up to the u21s.

He will pick up an "injury"

I'd love to see him with the right attitude and accept a call up to the 21s. However what benefit would it really be to him in terms of development. Pick up an injury and perhaps miss a chunk of PL games. Young players trying to establish themselves can't afford that and we as a national team with a limited PL playing pool certainly can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Seen Kieran O'Hara is still down as "unattached", kind of surprised by this. Assumed a league one club or maybe higher would have taken a look at him by now. Is there any rumours where he could be off to? Did a Google there and couldn't find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Parrot, Idah, McClean (as a forward?) Robinson and even Connolly imo are blessed to get a place ahead of Obafemi.

Only Long and McGoldrick deserve their place more than Obafemi I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Jaysis, lads, new thread off to a flier already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Duff wrote: »
    Jaysis, lads, new thread off to a flier already.

She wasnt long warming up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I find the lack of contact with Obafemi the most surprising part. Leaving him out but selecting others of a similar age with less game time was always going to raise questions so there was a need to talk directly to Obafemi instead of filling him in via media questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I see Norwich have signed Hugill from West Ham today, doesn't bode well for Idahs gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

This wasn't a test. The tests are competitive games and how well he can coach a team to play good football and get results in those games. The fact that a young player who scored 4 goals last season has been left out isn't a big deal. It's not like he's left out a peak Robbie Keane.

I quite like a manager who is happy to pick the players he fancies and not go the route of an easy, consensus based squad selection.

Obafemi can choose Nigeria if he fancies it or choose to fight for a place. If he decides against playing for Ireland over a minor slight, he might not be that great a character to have involved in the long run anyway. Similar to the situations with Grealish or Rice, I'd rather have players who actually want it than those who are are on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Kennys first couple of games in charge were always going to be experimental and hes never been afraid of dropping important players, Obafemi's tweet says a lot about his attitude, and didn't the Southampton manager say something last season about him needing to change his attitude and become more of a professional?

Im not surprised by the omission at all as even in the u21s Kenny often favoured players such as Troy Parrott or even Danny Mandroiu over Obafemi

noodler wrote: »
    Parrot, Idah, McClean (as a forward?) Robinson and even Connolly imo are blessed to get a place ahead of Obafemi.

Only Long and McGoldrick deserve their place more than Obafemi I think.

He made his reasoning perfectly clear and I'd agree with. All of the players you mentioned offer more in the system Kenny wants to play. He's trying to play a possession based game and needs more technical players. Obafemi isn't Mbappe and doesn't have the kind of goalscoring record to justify the manager changing his belief in how we should play, and it definitely doesn't justify the kind of hissy fits (not you) we've seen on this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement