Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

sterz wrote: »
    You said yesterday that the experimenting stops vs Slovakia. Which is it?

Are you trying to catch me out here. LOL.

There’s degrees in taking chances. Playing experienced players is less of a gamble. Slovakia is a do or die match, get your best and most experienced players on the pitch. Connolly is the one of the new brigade or fringe players that I’d start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

eire4 wrote: »
    IMHO no it was a very good ball to the back post and beyond that for me without doubt Randolph had a very good game and was probably our best player on the day.

I think he should have smothered that cross easily enough. watch it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I think he should have smothered that cross easily enough. watch it again.

Watched it again and IMHO it was a very good back post ball. Not a keeper error so we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I also stand by my opinion that Randolph played well and was probably our best player on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Just listened to Dunphy/Giles there. Didn’t get that last paragraph from that at all. They were trying to cut Stephen Kenny some slack. We all hope Stephen Kenny succeeds.

Giles was saying he needs 6 games at least to figure out what he wants to do. That’s fine but he needs to suspend the experiments for the Slovakia match and put an experienced side on the pitch. If we win that keep the same team v Bosnia/Norn Ireland.

Go back to the project after that.

My point by Ireland playing more football leaves them open defensively which is why Trap/MON and Mick (second spell) played the way they did. Because Ireland do not have the players to play an expansive game.

Giles said Ireland do not have the players in midfield. Basically by saying this he was admitting what the previous three Ireland managers knew. Ireland are not good enough to play football because they do not have the midfield for it. Has to be fast tempo and a bit direct at least while being defensive minded.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Are you trying to catch me out here. LOL

Well you're doing all the work for me.

Anyway, that's enough interaction tonight with the guy who will want to see him sacked if we play either of the two teams he's selected in the game vs Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

My point by Ireland playing more football leaves them open defensively which is why Trap/MON and Mick (second spell) played the way they did. Because Ireland do not have the players to play an expansive game.

Giles said Ireland do not have the players in midfield. Basically by saying this he was admitting what the previous three Ireland managers knew. Ireland are not good enough to play football because they do not have the midfield for it. Has to be fast tempo and a bit direct at least while being defensive minded.

The crux of the selection issue in midfield has been the insistence To pick a “holding midfielder”
    A term Giles despises! Rightly so.

If Ireland picked 3 midfielders who could pass the ball we would be far more capable and effective at....Passing!!!

Take 2010 era as example.
    Picking Glen and Green in a 442 - yes they are not good enough to play football!
    Or
    We could have picked Fahey-Houlihan and AN Other (McCarthy, Andrews even Lawerence) they could play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In the sense that he hasn't played well any chance he has gotten for Ireland. In the sense that if he was as good as he is made out to be he would look better even playing in a bad team. If he was as good as posters on here would have you believe he would improve players playing around him like Coleman did when he was at his best.

He played well against Denmark.

Obviously, shares the blame for the goal but then scored the equaliser.

Had a very decent attacking game.

As others have said, the only other appearance, bar the two NL games, was the game in windswept Gibraltar where everyone was poison.

I dunno if people can really be serious that we might discard what is clearly one of our best, if not the best, EPL player we have just because he hasn't set the world alright in th space of four Ireland games (the first and last of the last campaign and then the two NL ones recently).

It's seems a bizarre standard to hold when he is evidently one of our most quality performers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Slovakia bottom of their group. N. Ireland hockeyed by Norway. Only Bosnia have done well for themselves this week.

By the way did anyone curse/laugh/cry when they heard this from Vinny Perth?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0907/1163767-perth-kennys-newness-an-advantage-ahead-of-slovakia/

He is basically saying Ireland have an advantage against Solvakia because Kenny is new!

Perth:

"They would have been looking at Ireland, up until this weekend, saying 'we'll probably have the ball against these.' Their own coaching staff would be thinking that way.

"But now it's flipped, where they'll go, 'these might come and keep the ball against us. We're going to have to set up traps and work out how we dispossess them, and when we turn it over how we can hurt them.'

"So it's definitely an advantage in that sense that we've a different way of playing."

--

Have you ever heard as much guff? Kenny does not even know his own team! And the players do not know, or are not able to play Kenny's system.

As Solvakia are a possession based side they will end up running Ireland ragged, plus they will be able to take breaks while Ireland pass safe balls from side to side in thier own half.
    Solvakia have a centre back from Inter Milan Milan Skriniar and another fella who plays for Lazio
    And they have a defensive midifelder from Napoli. Yet these lads are supposed to be awake at night worrying about what Kenny does!
    And they still have Hamsik!
    Plus they have a keeper who actually starts for his club in the EPL unlike Randolph!

I would love to know what Perth is drinking!

• Advertisement

sterz wrote: »
    Well you're doing all the work for me.

Anyway, that's enough interaction tonight with the guy who will want to see him sacked if we play either of the two teams he's selected in the game vs Slovakia.

I don’t want to see him sacked. I want him to succeed. That’s why I hope he plays the best team possible v Slovakia.

Kenny will know I’m sure that results are required, and a decent performance at best required in the crucial Slovakia tie, no need to be so precious on his behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

By the way did anyone curse/laugh/cry when they heard this from Vinny Perth?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0907/1163767-perth-kennys-newness-an-advantage-ahead-of-slovakia/

He is basically saying Ireland have an advantage against Solvakia because Kenny is new!

Perth:

"They would have been looking at Ireland, up until this weekend, saying 'we'll probably have the ball against these.' Their own coaching staff would be thinking that way.

"But now it's flipped, where they'll go, 'these might come and keep the ball against us. We're going to have to set up traps and work out how we dispossess them, and when we turn it over how we can hurt them.'

"So it's definitely an advantage in that sense that we've a different way of playing."

--

Have you ever heard as much guff? Kenny does not even know his own team! And the players do not know, or are not able to play Kenny's system.

As Solvakia are a possession based side they will end up running Ireland ragged, plus they will be able to take breaks while Ireland pass safe balls from side to side in thier own half.
    Solvakia have a centre back from Inter Milan Milan Skriniar and another fella who plays for Lazio
    And they have a defensive midifelder from Napoli. Yet these lads are supposed to be awake at night worrying about what Kenny does!
    And they still have Hamsik!
    Plus they have a keeper who actually starts for his club in the EPL unlike Randolph!

I would love to know what Perth is drinking!

As John Sheridan said, who’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

noodler wrote: »
    He played well against Denmark.

Obviously, shares the blame for the goal but then scored the equaliser.

Had a very decent attacking game.

As others have said, the only other appearance, bar the two NL games, was the game in windswept Gibraltar where everyone was poison.

I dunno if people can really be serious that we might discard what is clearly one of our best, if not the best, EPL player we have just because he hasn't set the world alright in th space of four Ireland games (the first and last of the last campaign and then the two NL ones recently).

It's seems a bizarre standard to hold when he is evidently one of our most quality performers.

He was one of Wolves most quality performers not one of Ireland's. He has done nothing for Ireland. He was okay against Denmark but the goal was criminal.

He has been very good for Wolves over the last couple of years but I wouldn't be changing our formation to fit him into the team when he has done nothing in a green jersey to show that he will be good enough to build a team around.

If he can play well in a more orthodox right back role for Spurs maybe then he can take over from Coleman but at the moment he is a weak link defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭briany

Slovakia's results haven't been impressive in their Nations League group so far. Same W/L record as Ireland and conceded more goals. If Ireland had a bit of defensive organisation, you'd least expect it to be a tight game. Unfortunately, the FAI decided to drop Kenny in between the group stage and the playoffs with little time to get his team together or playing a certain way. This will probably end up being something of a stupid decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I don’t want to see him sacked. I want him to succeed. That’s why I hope he plays the best team possible v Slovakia.

Kenny will know I’m sure that results are required, and a decent performance at best required in the crucial Slovakia tie, no need to be so precious on his behalf.

What would your starting 11 be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Love a bit of a mixture between the 4-3-3 Kenny wants, and the 3-5-2 lots are calling for.
    A 3-4-3;

Randolph
    Coleman---Duffy---Egan
    Doherty----McCarthy--Arter----Stevens
    Obafemi--McGoldrick--Connolly

McGoldrick dropping deeper to hold up the ball, and make passing triangles with Doherty and Obafemi on one side, and Stevens and Connolly on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If he switches to 3-5-2 (which would free up Doherty and Stevens to play the roles they're best suited to I'd go somehting like this, all being available. If he's sticking to 4 at the back then Coleman comes in for Doherty

lineup-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Slovakia bottom of their group. N. Ireland hockeyed by Norway. Only Bosnia have done well for themselves this week.

Bosnia were beaten by Poland yesterday.

Bosnia were beaten by Poland yesterday.

No shame in that.

They also got a draw with Italy last week iirc.

If he switches to 3-5-2 (which would free up Doherty and Stevens to play the roles they're best suited to I'd go somehting like this, all being available. If he's sticking to 4 at the back then Coleman comes in for Doherty

lineup-1.png

That team would put the fear of God into any team. I mean Irish supporter.
    Shows how weak midfield still is - so limp no bite/skill - plodders.

Forwards one trys hard for team and is not a goal scorer (McGoldrick) the other fella needs a sat nav to know where to run on the pitch (Obafembi)

Defence looks ok. Will Clark stay at Newcastle he seems to be moving into bit part territory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No shame in that.

They also got a draw with Italy last week iirc.

They also finished fourth in qualifying behind Finland and Greece.

• Advertisement

They also finished fourth in qualifying behind Finland and Greece.

Look, I'm not saying they are Spain.

The discussion was on their recent results last week, not last year.

I'm just saying I can't see see us going there and winning four days after we hopefully win in Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If ( and a big IF at that) we beat Slovakia we dont play Bosnia or North till November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

That team would put the fear of God into any team. I mean Irish supporter.
    Shows how weak midfield still is - so limp no bite/skill - plodders.

Forwards one trys hard for team and is not a goal scorer (McGoldrick) the other fella needs a sat nav to know where to run on the pitch (Obafembi)

Defence looks ok. Will Clark stay at Newcastle he seems to be moving into bit part territory?

I think McCarthy gives us some steel and some footballing ability in that position for a change. I'd have Hendrick in for McGoldrick. I'm sick of seeing McGoldrick practically dropping into our 18 yard box to pick up the ball. Also he tends to drift out of position a lot and end up on the wings when the balls are being supplied. I think Hendrick may offer us something through the middle

Connolly for Obafemi also.

I think McCarthy gives us some steel and some footballing ability in that position for a change. I'd have Hendrick in for McGoldrick. I'm sick of seeing McGoldrick practically dropping into our 18 yard box to pick up the ball. Also he tends to drift out of position a lot and end up on the wings when the balls are being supplied. I think Hendrick may offer us something through the middle

McCarthy hides steel is the last word I would use to describe him. A fella that had a load of potential but never fulfilled it. No confidence needs a leader beside him.
    But unfortunately McCarthy is the best of a bad bunch, I suppose.

McGoldrick I like but he needs someone decent to play off and finish chances he causes.
    Obafemi the answer maybe in a few years? But I went right off him when I saw him live in an u21 game very frustrating player all that power and pace and clueless how to use it. Prefer Connolly myself upfront with McGoldrick.

But sad part is no one jumps out, that should be playing unless the Granny rule finds a few.
    If Kenny can make a half decent team out of what he has quickly, and play attractive football fair play. In my view he would be a football genius.

If ( and a big IF at that) we beat Slovakia we dont play Bosnia or North till November

Grand, I believe, and open to correction, the original play off fixtures were Tues/sat or wed/sun.

McCarthy hides steel is the last word I would use to describe him. A fella that had a load of potential but never fulfilled it. No confidence needs a leader beside him.
    But unfortunately McCarthy is the best of a bad bunch, I suppose.

McGoldrick I like but he needs someone decent to play off and finish chances he causes.
    Obafemi the answer maybe in a few years? But I went right off him when I saw him live in an u21 game very frustrating player all that power and pace and clueless how to use it. Prefer Connolly myself upfront with McGoldrick.

But sad part is no one jumps out, that should be playing unless the Granny rule finds a few.
    If Kenny can make a half decent team out of what he has quickly, and play attractive football fair play. In my view he would be a football genius.

He hasn't played for the U-21's in 11 months... is it not better to judge him on the 23 premier league and cup games he's played for Southampton since then? Games played at a much higher level, where he's been developing well, and quickly? In the PL has a goal or assist every 131 minutes (and better than a goal or assist per game in the EFL Cup).

In the past year he's pushed himself ahead of a lot of decent players to be one of Hasenhuttl's main go-to's to change a game. Since the turn of the year, there are only 5 games he hasn't been involved in.

I noticed that, McGoldrick kept drifting over to the left wing. I don’t know what he was doing that for, he was over on top of Connolly and then McClean when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

McCarthy gives us no steel whatsoever. He's completely ineffective when we don't have the ball. Now that being said, none of our established midfielders are any better than him in that respect. Unless we want to recall Glenn Whelan or coax Meyler out of his early retirement.

The only one who seems to have any real aggression about him is Hendrick and I don't think he has the positional discipline to play as the DM or pivot or whatever you want to call it. The only time I can remember it being tried was in that abject display against Denmark.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He hasn't played for the U-21's in 11 months... is it not better to judge him on the 23 premier league and cup games he's played for Southampton since then? Games played at a much higher level, where he's been developing well, and quickly? In the PL has a goal or assist every 131 minutes (and better than a goal or assist per game in the EFL Cup).

In the past year he's pushed himself ahead of a lot of decent players to be one of Hasenhuttl's main go-to's to change a game. Since the turn of the year, there are only 5 games he hasn't been involved in.

Yeah but he didn't do it in a kid's game a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Great score for our U21s with Sweden 3-0 to Italy after an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Great score for our U21s with Sweden 3-0 to Italy after an hour

And Italy still have to play Iceland away four days before they play us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And Italy still have to play Iceland away four days before they play us.

They also have to play Sweden again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Don't know what some of you see in Hendrick at all. He takes too much out of the ball and loses possession constantly. If an attack breaks down and we lose the ball, you can be guaranteed he was directly involved in it.

OK maybe I am being unfair on him he is only 20, but maybe there is a reason he is only impact sub at best at PL level I don't see a spark in him. Adams and even Shane Long see like better option at Southampton.

Robbie Keane at 20 had 12 goals in 31 games for Coventry in EPL
    Obafembi is no Keane obviously!

But Clinton Morrison at 20 got 13 goals for Palace in the second tier when he was 20. A fairer comparison.
    Maybe Obafembi would be better off dropping down a level to get gametime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

OK maybe I am being unfair on him he is only 20, but maybe there is a reason he is only impact sub at best at PL level I don't see a spark in him. Adams and even Shane Long see like better option at Southampton.

But Clinton Morrison at 20 got 13 goals for Palace in the second tier when he was 20. A fairer comparison.

Comparing Obafemi's 3 PL goals at the age of 19 to what Morrison did in the lower leagues 20+ years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lower leagues? The championship isn't the conference. And he was their top scorer two seasons running in said championship.

I found it a fair comparison tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Kirby wrote: »
    Lower leagues? The championship isn't the conference. And he was their top scorer two seasons running in said championship.

I found it a fair comparison tbh.

The standard of the championship 20 years ago isn't comparable to the standard of the championship now.

He's 20, not 27! No need to be worrying about dropping a level at this stage, particularly when his career is going the opposite trajectory - he's getting more and more time, not less.

Of his last 8 Premier League appearances, 4 were starts. 2 goals and 2 assists in those 8 games too - with a goal or assist every 62 minutes in that time. He's right in and around the first team now, absolutely no reason for him to be thinking about stepping down when he's working with a brilliant young manager that clearly rates him. As much as Hassenhuttl gives him some constructive criticism, he's also giving him more and more minutes.

We should really be thinking and talking about him in the same terms as Connolly, and I'm not sure why we're not. They should be the two nailed on wide forwards either side of McGoldrick - it's about the only way I see us scoring goals.

Personally speaking anyway, I really enjoy watching him for Southampton, makes clever runs and uses the space well dropping wide or deep. A touch of the Adama Traore's about him too when he gets going.

On the subject of Clinton Morrison - if we had a young Clinton Morrison right now, I'm fairly confident he'd be our main striker.

He's 20, not 27! No need to be worrying about dropping a level at this stage, particularly when his career is going the opposite trajectory - he's getting more and more time, not less.

Of his last 8 Premier League appearances, 4 were starts. 2 goals and 2 assists in those 8 games too - with a goal or assist every 62 minutes in that time. He's right in and around the first team now, absolutely no reason for him to be thinking about stepping down when he's working with a brilliant young manager that clearly rates him. As much as Hassenhuttl gives him some constructive criticism, he's also giving him more and more minutes.

We should really be thinking and talking about him in the same terms as Connolly, and I'm not sure why we're not. They should be the two nailed on wide forwards either side of McGoldrick - it's about the only way I see us scoring goals.

Personally speaking anyway, I really enjoy watching him for Southampton, makes clever runs and uses the space well dropping wide or deep. A touch of the Adama Traore's about him too when he gets going.

On the subject of Clinton Morrison - if we had a young Clinton Morrison right now, I'm fairly confident he'd be our main striker.

Do you not think comparing him to Traore is proving my point? Both he and Obafembi don't seem to know where they are going half the time.
    It is why I picked Robbie Keane and Clinton Morrison both were intelligent footballers on the pitch. Obafembi is like a poor man's Traore.

Connolly seems like a better football than Obafembi to me. Kenny clearly does not rate Obafembi as highly as he does Connolly/Idah for example so he obviously thinks the same.
    He watches them train after all.

After seeing Obafembi live it makes sense. If I did not see him live I would think pace and power should be starting. But that in itself is not enough.
    Obafembi is kind of one of those 3 minute highlight reel players imo.

• Advertisement

Do you not think comparing him to Traore is proving my point?

Only if you choose to purposefully misinterpret my point, and ignore literally the first half of the paragraph - "makes clever runs and uses the space well dropping wide or deep"

My point was that when he gets running at players he's hard to stop - something we could really do with in a forward.
    Both he and Obafembi don't seem to know where they are going half the time.
    It is why I picked Robbie Keane and Clinton Morrison both were intelligent footballers on the pitch. Obafembi is like a poor man's Traore.

I simply disagree with you on this. Maybe he was like that in the underage Ireland game you watched a year ago, but I don't think that's at all a fair description of his more recent club form where he's been quite deliberate and intelligent in his positions. Makes sense - the game you saw was one of only two games he played with those players and that manager... hardly gonna be smooth slick interplay in that amount of time, same as the growing pains the national team is going through now. Good football takes time. When you watch him with the team he plays with week in week out those problems aren't there.

As for the comparisons with those lads, they're different types of players. They were both in-the-box strikers, whereas Connolly and Obafemi are second-strikers/wing-forwards. You wouldn't throw either Keane or Morrison out in the position we're talking about - they'd have taken Idah/McGoldricks place.
    Connolly seems like a better football than Obafembi to me. Kenny clearly does not rate Obafembi as highly as he does Connolly/Idah for example so he obvious thinks the same.
    He watches them train afterall.

After seeing Obafembi live it makes sense. If I did not see him live I would think pace and power should be starting. But that in itself is not enough.
    Obafembi is kind of one of those 3 minute highlight reel players imo.

Think Connolly and Obafemi are very similar players at pretty much the exact same level. Both still a bit raw, but with enough development to already be serious senior threats for their respective teams in the premier league. Both technically skillful, fast, direct, and have an eye for goal. Both excellent second-strikers to play off a bigger back-to-goal player, and ideal mirrors for each other imo.

Honestly, it doesn't help your argument that you're consistently spelling his name wrong, and not in just a right-sound-wrong-letters way, but in a way that is not what his name sounds like. No offence, but it's hard to think you've watched him too closely too often if you don't know his name.

<edit> Once I saw the positions he was asking Connolly to take up, I understood why Kenny left Obafemi out incidentally. Connolly was being played as a winger instead of a wide forward. He was way out by the sideline getting balls up the line from Stevens. O'Dowda was the same on the right. Obafemi is not the guy you want for that, but I don't think that's the best use of the wide forward role in our team either. Connolly was just in Stevens' way most of the time, as O'Dowda was in Doherty's way on the other side. Both fullbacks would have benefitted by Connolly and Obafemi playing their natural narrower game imo, giving them someone to play off and overlap with, instead of running into, and getting them closer to where they can do real damage as the key goal-threat positions in the team.

-
    Only if you choose to purposefully misinterpret my point, and ignore literally the first half of the paragraph - "makes clever runs and uses the space well dropping wide or deep"

My point was that when he gets running at players he's hard to stop - something we could really do with in a forward.

I saw that bit hence why I highlighted the contradiction - clever runs are not what I would describe as a touch of the Traore's! :D

I simply disagree with you on this. Maybe he was like that in the Ireland game you watched last year, but I don't think that's at all a fair description of his more recent club form where he's been quite deliberate and intelligent in his positions.

Fair enough it might have been a one off. But I have not seen evidence to convince me otherwise. I remember Irish media hyping up one goal he scored for southampton.
    As for the comparisons with those lads, they're different types of players. They were both in-the-box strikers, whereas Connolly and Obafemi are second-strikers/wing-forwards. You wouldn't throw either Keane or Morrison out in the position we're talking about - they'd have taken Idah/McGoldricks place.

Didn't Keane start in midfield for Wolves always had ability to play second striker. He even played on the wing for Liverpool on occasion.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/robbie-keane/profil/spieler/3144

Morrison also had the ability to play left wing/second striker

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/clinton-morrison/profil/spieler/3145

Think Connolly and Obafemi are very similar players at pretty much the exact same level. Both still a bit raw, but with enough development to already be serious senior threats for their respective teams in the premier league. Both technically skillful, fast, direct, and have an eye for goal. Both excellent second-strikers to play off a bigger back-to-goal player, and ideal mirrors for each other imo.

I think Connolly is a much more intelligent footballer.
    Honestly, it doesn't help your argument that you're consistently spelling his name wrong, and not in just a right-sound-wrong-letters way, but in a way that is not what his name sounds like. No offence, but it's hard to think you've watched him too closely too often if you don't know his name.

Desperation stakes arguments now spellings in a football forum! :D
    If you must know it was because I was thinking Robbie Keane - Inter Milan and a Nigerian Obafembi/Obafemi Martins who played for Inter
    You will see that his name is spelled with or without a B by some

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obafemi_Martins

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/mark-viduka-obafembi-martins-and-nicky-butt-of-newcastle-news-photo/80433496
    <edit> Once I saw the positions he was asking Connolly to take up, I understood why Kenny left Obafemi out incidentally. Connolly was being played as a winger instead of a wide forward. He was way out by the sideline getting balls up the line from Stevens. O'Dowda was the same on the right. Obafemi is not the guy you want for that, but I don't think that's the best use of the wide forward role in our team either. Connolly was just in Stevens' way most of the time, as O'Dowda was in Doherty's way on the other side. Both fullbacks would have benefitted by Connolly and Obafemi playing their natural narrower game imo, giving them someone to play off and overlap with, instead of running into.

We will see what happens I suppose.
    One of us will be right!

If you must know it was because I was thinking Robbie Keane - Inter Milan and a Nigerian Obafembi/Obafemi Martins who played for Inter
    You will see that his name is spelled with or without a B

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/mark-viduka-obafembi-martins-and-nicky-butt-of-newcastle-news-photo/80433496

We will see what happens I suppose.
    One of us will be right!

His name was Obafemi Martins. A spelling mistake doesn’t change that. While calling someone else desperate hahahaha

His name was Obafemi Martins. A spelling mistake doesn’t change that. While calling someone else desperate hahahaha

A lot of people spelled it that way just a fact. As usual your input is top notch, and insightful.

George Hamilton kept referring to the 'Baggio Brother's' Ireland v Italy USA 94 - for instance which was untrue. Watch it back if you wish.
    But it is all semantics, in relation to substantive football points.

We would bite someone’s hand off for a Gary Doherty up front right now.

A lot of people spelled it that way just a fact. As usual your input is top notch, and insightful.

A lot of people hahaha. Excellent rebuttal. Doesn’t change the fact that his name is Obafemi.

• Advertisement

-

I saw that bit hence why I highlighted the contradiction - clever runs are not what I would describe as a touch of the Traore's! :D

I suppose 'Traore' means different things depending on whose point of view - for you clearly that's a negative, and you think of his occasional headlessness. For me, when I think of Traore, I think of the powerful dangerous running, which is the attribute I was referring to.
    Fair enough it might have been a one off. But I have not seen evidence to convince me otherwise. I remember Irish media hyping up one goal he scored for southampton.

One game either good or bad shouldn't be enough to convince anyone of anything. If you've chosen not to watch him since, that's grand, it's up to you.
    Didn't Keane start in midfield for Wolves always had ability to play second striker. He even played on the wing for Liverpool on occasion.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/robbie-keane/profil/spieler/3144

Morrison also had the ability to play left wing/second striker

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/clinton-morrison/profil/spieler/3145
    Ok... I'm not sure what your point is?

If they were in the Ireland team, they would be strikers. The goals they scored, which you were referring to, were scored as strikers. I'm also still generally unsure of the comparison in a broader sense... like, what's your point? Players in the past were better than players in the present? I mean, I think that's true in pretty much every position on the pitch...
    I think Connolly is a much more intelligent footballer.
    And I disagree. I'd say game-intelligence is Connolly's weakest attribute by a distance. Both brilliant players, both the best wide forwards we have in the squad... and I don't even think there's any competition.
    You will see that his name is spelled with or without a B

Ha, as I pointed out it's not the typo, it's consistently just not knowing the fellas name... it's just not the most encouraging sign for how much you've actually watched him... Like if someone consistently talks about Harry Klane, or Sadio Mande i'm gonna generally presume they might not be the best source of knowledge on the chaps.

(also your Oba Martins thing is just a bit bizarre, considering he clearly goes by the name Obafemi himself as well. It's on every team page he's ever been on, his transfermarkt, his wiki, all his social media presences, in every bit of match commentary about him i've ever watched...I mean, Obafemi Martins was a big deal! Honestly I'm pretty sure any instances calling him Obafembi are just typos.)

The broad point I'm gathering from your posts is - "That Obafembi lad, watched him once, not for me, not watched him since, probably still shit though". Which, I mean, it's your position, and you're entitled to it, I just wouldn't say it's the most compelling argument against a player.

Anyway, bit of a tedious discussion for everyone else I'm sure, so I'll stop there!

God, the standard of debate is plummeting here.

A lot of people hahaha. Excellent rebuttal. Doesn’t change the fact that his name is Obafemi.

What’s the point in arguing over spelling? We all know who he meant. It’s pointless.

God, the standard of debate is plummeting here.

Blegh, sorry :-/
    NewMan1982 wrote: »
    What’s the point in arguing over spelling? We all know who he meant. It’s pointless.

I'd never be bothered with someone's spelling, you see it all the time with all sorts of names... but most misspellings are still phonetically correct - as in you say them out loud and you're still right. Spelling out the wrong sounds consistently is just a bit of an indicator that perhaps they haven't been terribly exposed to the player they're talking about.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    We would bite someone’s hand off for a Gary Doherty up front right now.

Yeah he was great could fill in defence and was handy - defending/attacking corners. He used to be half laughed at and treated as a novelty at times!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement