Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I don't buy the "he doesn't fit into the system" line that has been thrown out there. There has to be a plan B if plan A isn't working. Or is Kenny proving himself to be unadaptable?

I can't think of any Irish player that has scored more PL goals this season than Obafemi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I don't buy the "he doesn't fit into the system" line that has been thrown out there. There has to be a plan B if plan A isn't working. Or is Kenny proving himself to be unadaptable?

I can't think of any Irish player that has scored more PL goals this season than Obafemi.

Doherty has 4. Obafemi is level with Connolly and Hourihane on 3. I do feel he should be in the squad ahead of Long or O'Dowda, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Duff wrote: »
    Doherty has 4. Obafemi is level with Connolly and Hourihane on 3. I do feel he should be in the squad ahead of Long or O'Dowda, though.

I’ve also actually quite liked the look of him playing on the wing for Southampton when he’s done so, has looked a good mirror for Connolly on the other side, fast and direct cutting inside.

Honestly think our best front three going forward is him and Connolly either side of McGoldrick. Think he’s just genuinely better and more dangerous there than any of the other options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I’ve also actually quite liked the look of him playing on the wing for Southampton when he’s done so, has looked a good mirror for Connolly on the other side, fast and direct cutting inside.

Honestly think our best front three going forward is him and Connolly either side of McGoldrick. Think he’s just genuinely better and more dangerous there than any of the other options available.

I agree on his position. I really don't think he's a true CF, and is better sitting behind a striker/on the wing. Hopefully he has a big part to play with Kenny in the future and this is just an experiment of sorts on his part with the Nations League the perfect time to do it.

I reckon Idah will be our best attacking option of the lot though within the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Disappointed that Obafemi was left out but some of the reaction here is way over the top. He's a promising player but very far from the finished thing. I thought Kenny explained it well but theres probably more going on in the background.

He mentioned he missed a good few U21 games and his reaction yesterday shows he probably thinks he's better than the U21s. Hassenhuttel has also mentioned a few times that he needs to knuckle down and not waste his talent and reduce the outside distractions.

If anyone failed their first test it was Obafemi with his reaction, he should knuckle down and put in performances for his club and U21s to make sure he is undroppable from the senior squad in future.
    If he goes chasing a change to Nigeria then good luck to him, we dont need players that dont want to play for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Disappointed that Obafemi was left out but some of the reaction here is way over the top. He's a promising player but very far from the finished thing. I thought Kenny explained it well but theres probably more going on in the background.

He mentioned he missed a good few U21 games and his reaction yesterday shows he probably thinks he's better than the U21s. Hassenhuttel has also mentioned a few times that he needs to knuckle down and not waste his talent and reduce the outside distractions.

If anyone failed their first test it was Obafemi with his reaction, he should knuckle down and put in performances for his club and U21s to make sure he is undroppable from the senior squad in future.
    If he goes chasing a change to Nigeria then good luck to him, we dont need players that dont want to play for us.

Hassenhuttl said that months ago and has since praised Obafemi for doing exactly what was needed. He has put in performances for his club, what has Parrott done exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hassenhuttl said that months ago and has since praised Obafemi for doing exactly what was needed. He has put in performances for his club, what has Parrott done exactly??

Hassenhuttel also said in June he needed to put in more effort, he's mixed praise with the words of warning.
    I would have had him in ahead of Parrott and Idah but both have played more for Kenny at U21 so I'd guess that had a part to play in the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hassenhuttel also said in June he needed to put in more effort, he's mixed praise with the words of warning.
    I would have had him in ahead of Parrott and Idah but both have played more for Kenny at U21 so I'd guess that had a part to play in the decision.

Well if it down to picking favourites that is a poor start. Obafemi has done more than the other two combined in their senior careers to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think there is anything OTT.

There is definite surprise being expressed albeit by alot of people but each reaction has been pretty understandable in my view

He won't be the first Irish player that has gone through the "surprise/controversial omission from squad early in career despite public opinion" phase.

Wouldn't get too upset about the decision, or even his reaction...I'd be more concerned if he was fine about it, he didn't exactly go on a rant either. He'll just have to suck it up. Players like Hoolahan had to put up with years of being overlooked, I'm sure his time will come soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well if it down to picking favourites that is a poor start. Obafemi has done more than the other two combined in their senior careers to date.

So you'd play Obafemi as the lone striker?

https://twitter.com/ScotlandStewart/status/1297955623095631872

Squads probably gonna change between now and match day anyway as clubs are under no obligation to release players for certain situations because of covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The selection that sticks the most is Brady or O Dowda. Maybe Brady is there with an eye to his versatility I don’t know. But O Dowda is in and out of an average Bristol City side with a single goal and assist to his name this year. His selection over Obafemi really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Smallbone while playing less could feel hard done by too.
    O Shea and Knights time will come soon enough hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Ridiculous decision in fairness. Parrott spent more time hanging out with gangsters than playing first team football last season. Idah can’t get a head of Drmic. Kenny not even got one game behind him and playing favourites. This will end in disaster, mark my words.

Hysterical nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kenny’s Ireland are likely to play with a single striker in a front three, he explained, whereas Obafemi has been playing as part of a front two at Southampton.
    A ridiculous statement. If the system of having a single striker who can interchange in a front three is so important, then why is McGoldrick in the squad at all? McGoldrick plays in a front two for his club and doesn't remotely look like a player who's going to switch out wide. Also, the same can be said of Shane Long who plays for the same club as Obafemi ffs. I don't see how Long suits playing in a front three either.

I really hope Kenny's reign doesn't end up like Trap's one where the communication was so awful, good players got disillusioned and ended up out in the cold for inexplicable reasons. This is the weakest panel of players we've had in 40 years, we cannot afford to lose anyone with even moderate ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

noodler wrote: »

There is definite surprise being expressed albeit by alot of people but each reaction has been pretty understandable in my view

Ah now we've had "an absolute disgrace" "spectacular failure" and a "this will end in disaster" amongst others so far way OTT to a guy with 3 goals not being picked ffs

sugarman wrote: »
    Hardly applies to our games when players will be returning from Dublin!

And they'll be in Bulgaria for the match.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Obafemi should be in the squad, I think most people agree with that.

The biggest disappointment for me though is the fact that Kenny didn't communicate with the player. That's just bad man management and Obafemi has every right to feel hard done by. He shouldn't have posted anything on Twitter though.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The selection that sticks the most is Brady or O Dowda. Maybe Brady is there with an eye to his versatility I don’t know. But O Dowda is in and out of an average Bristol City side with a single goal and assist to his name this year. His selection over Obafemi really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Smallbone while playing less could feel hard done by too.

I've always though O'Dowda was quite talented of lightweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Also, the same can be said of Shane Long who plays for the same club as Obafemi ffs. I don't see how Long suits playing in a front three either.

Not at all. Shane Long is capable of playing as a lone striker, he can hold up the ball, he can regularly win aerial duels and can run in behind.

He also has played on the right of a front three for Ireland before most notably at Euro16.

Obafemi can't play that lone striker role.

A ridiculous statement. If the system of having a single striker who can interchange in a front three is so important, then why is McGoldrick in the squad at all? McGoldrick plays in a front two for his club and doesn't remotely look like a player who's going to switch out wide. Also, the same can be said of Shane Long who plays for the same club as Obafemi ffs. I don't see how Long suits playing in a front three either.

I really hope Kenny's reign doesn't end up like Trap's one where the communication was so awful, good players got disillusioned and ended up out in the cold for inexplicable reasons. This is the weakest panel of players we've had in 40 years, we cannot afford to lose anyone with even moderate ability.

Yes because McGoldrick and Long have never ever played as the lone striker in their 16 and 15 year careers so far.

Put it this way seeing as everyone is saying why is Idah and Parrott picked ahead of Obafemi. Would you play 5ft 6in Obafemi as the lone striker, someone whose going to be asked to play with their back to goal and hold up the ball to bring others into the game over 6ft 3in Idah or 6ft 1in Parrott.

And I wanted Obafemi in the squad. Play him out wide like Connolly because he's never gonna be a CF for us the same way people have said Connolly is going to be a good player but it's going to be as someone playing out wide rather than a CF.

So people need to be asking why are Connolly, O'Dowda, McClean and Robinson picked ahead of Obafemi rather than focusing on two lads who are different types of footballers than Obafemi. Be like complaining why the defensive midfielder was picked to play no.6 and not the attacking midfielder when they're two different types of footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I honestly think you've genuinely missed some posts.

Bridge93 wrote: »

Maybe Brady was but I was hoping Manning would get in ahead of him because he'd provide us with a back up left back but his versatility lets him cover more than one position if needed.

On club form O'Dowda is baffling. Has been bang average for Bristol who were bang average themselves this season. Like he's a decent footballer in the sense he's good with ball at his feet and can run at defenders but he doesn't show it enough. Hopefully this call up makes him pull his socks up at club level to be picked in future squads because if his form stays the way it is this could be his last call up for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Maybe Brady was but I was hoping Manning would get in ahead of him because he'd provide us with a back up left but his versatility lets him cover more than one position if needed.

On club form O'Dowda is baffling. Has been bang average for Bristol who were bang average themselves this season. Like he's a decent footballer in the sense he's good with ball at his feet and can run at defenders but he doesn't show it enough. Hopefully this call up makes him pull his socks up at club level to be picked in future squads because if his form stays the way it is this could be his last call up for awhile.

I am assuming Brady is in there because Kenny wants to have a look at him up close. At one point in time Brady was one of our most talented players, he is also versatile and has played numerous positions for us, Kenny probably wants to see for himself if that player is still in there or if his ability has left him. If Kenny thinks he can get the best out of him then Brady would be a very useful player.

O'Dowda is more confusing alright but again, a player who if we can get firing, could be someone Kenny would like to work with. He has shown glimpses of quality in an Ireland jersey but overall you'd have to think he is lucky to still have a place in the squad.

I wouldn't read into the squad too much, yes they are technically competitive games but I'd imagine Kenny is treating them as opportunities to prepare for the playoff more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I reckon Idah will be our best attacking option of the lot though within the next few years.

I think he will too, a bit more regular game time should help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Hysterical nonsense

Whats hysterical? Heres the only headline Parrott made last season

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/5102329/troy-parrott-dubai-dele-ali/

Idah 1 start 11 sub appearances. 221 minutes 0 goals. 0 assists.

Meanwhile Obafemi with 3 goals, 2 assists and 3 times as many minutes sits at home because the other 2 are U-21 favourites??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Whats hysterical? Heres the only headline Parrott made last season

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/5102329/troy-parrott-dubai-dele-ali/

The Sun is pure tabloid trash. He's hanging out with someone who has no criminal convictions. What's wrong with that?

Long had his most impressive season for a couple of years.

You won't see it in his goal stats (well a couple more) and he has played on the right for Southampton plenty of times over the years.

Himself and McGoldrick people can't really have problems with. The rest of choices are more open to debatable.

Looking forward to these friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was hoping never to see O Dowda in Irish jersey again . Just not done it for us im afraid

Not sure what to make of Obafami situation as must be reasons behind it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Stewball wrote: »
    Not at all. Shane Long is capable of playing as a lone striker, he can hold up the ball, he can regularly win aerial duels and can run in behind.

He also has played on the right of a front three for Ireland before most notably at Euro16.

Obafemi can't play that lone striker role.
    Long and McGoldrick are good players, but are they going to be versatile to play in a more dynamic front three that Kenny is looking for? At 32 and 33, it's debatable. Does Parrott have the physicality to play as a lone striker? From what I have seen, he's not ready yet. When there's question marks about most of our players, I think it's ridiculous to rule out Obafemi consider the fact he's still only 20, and is playing at a high level.

For me it's pretty clear, Obafemi should be there, Parrott should not.

• Advertisement

I was hoping never to see O Dowda in Irish jersey again . Just not done it for us im afraid

Not sure what to make of Obafami situation as must be reasons behind it

Has he played much?

I can only think of 2/3 competitive games.

Has he played much?

I can only think of 2/3 competitive games.

18 caps, with 10 of those coming in friendlies and 8 in competitive matches. Though 3 of those 8 came in the Nations League.

Long and McGoldrick are good players, but are they going to be versatile to play in a more dynamic front three that Kenny is looking for? At 32 and 33, it's debatable. Does Parrott have the physicality to play as a lone striker? From what I have seen, he's not ready yet. When there's question marks about most of our players, I think it's ridiculous to rule out Obafemi consider the fact he's still only 20, and is playing at a high level.

For me it's pretty clear, Obafemi should be there, Parrott should not.

What have you seen though that his manager at U21 level for nearly two years hasn't seen. Parrott is only in because McGoldrick is injured, other than that he wouldn't be in the squad and the reason he's in to replace McGoldrick is because:

"So if you are leaving someone like David out, the player that we have with the closest characteristics to him is actually Troy."

“I see Troy as having those sort of characteristics, he can play in a front three and you can play into him and be a focal point".

Be like if McCarthy gets injured and we need to call up a replacement and he selects someone like Conor Coventry because he's got similar characteristics but people are wondering why Coventry was selected to replace McCarthy and not Smallbone or Knight who are different midfielders than McCarthy.

So if McGoldrick wasn't injured, and Parrott isn't in the squad like Kenny said would have happened, then who are people going to use as the example of shouldn't be in the squad ahead of Obafemi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

event wrote: »

Was he?

What have you seen though that his manager at U21 level for nearly two years hasn't seen. Parrott is only in because McGoldrick is injured, other than that he wouldn't be in the squad and the reason he's in to replace McGoldrick is because:

"So if you are leaving someone like David out, the player that we have with the closest characteristics to him is actually Troy."

“I see Troy as having those sort of characteristics, he can play in a front three and you can play into him and be a focal point".

Be like if McCarthy gets injured and we need to call up a replacement and he selects someone like Conor Coventry because he's got similar characteristics but people are wondering why Coventry was selected to replace McCarthy and not Smallbone or Knight who are different midfielders than McCarthy.

So if McGoldrick wasn't injured, and Parrott isn't in the squad like Kenny said would have happened, then who are people going to use as the example of shouldn't be in the squad ahead of Obafemi.

Well if Parrott wasn't in the squad, then there's an extra space in the squad that you'd hope Obafemi would have taken up (McGoldrick is still taking up a squad place despite missing one of the games).

For that lone CF position we now have McGoldrick, Long, Parrott, and Idah, which seems like two much for one position, especially with 2 of the 4 having effectively no senior experience.. Would have had only one from Parrott or Idah.

And for another unbalanced position, we have Connolly, McClean, and Robinson who all ideally play LW/LWF. One of those could have been left out.

On the right, I'd have had Obafemi ahead of O'Dowda too.

So, a lot of players that could've given way

McGoldrick doesn't score goals, but he's great for setting things up for runners in behind who can score - so would like to have the two lads who have played plenty this season as wide goalscorers in the premier league. The most dangerous lads we have for this are Connolly and Obafemi. They'd be my starters to be honest.

And if you play Long central in the game McGoldrick is missing, there's a massive benefit that Long and Obafemi play together day in day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

They called up a few first timers and strangely Grealish still can't get in.

Well if Parrott wasn't in the squad, then there's an extra space in the squad that you'd hope Obafemi would have taken up (McGoldrick is still taking up a squad place despite missing one of the games).

For that lone CF position we now have McGoldrick, Long, Parrott, and Idah, which seems like two much for one position, especially with 2 of the 4 having effectively no senior experience.. Would have had only one from Parrott or Idah.

24 players were only named because one of the 23 original players is injured. I can't see where this extra squad place was for Obafemi. Unless I'm reading what you said differently.

Well it's been hinted that McGoldrick could play deeper in a 4-2-3-1, something that Parrott can do too, so makes sense that he sees Parrott as somewhat similar player to McGoldrick. So maybe he looks at it as four guys that can play that lone striker role with two of the four being able play to play behind striker if things need changing mid match.

And for another unbalanced position, we have Connolly, McClean, and Robinson who all ideally play LW/LWF. One of those could have been left out.

On the right, I'd have had Obafemi ahead of O'Dowda too.

So, a lot of players that could've given way

McGoldrick doesn't score goals, but he's great for setting things up for runners in behind who can score - so would like to have the two lads who have played plenty this season as wide goalscorers in the premier league. The most dangerous lads we have for this are Connolly and Obafemi. They'd be my starters to be honest.

And if you play Long central in the game McGoldrick is missing, there's a massive benefit that Long and Obafemi play together day in day out.

I think this is what people need to be talking about the most, the players we picked to play wide right and wide left, especially when the four lads named play or perform better when playing on the left.

I said it myself a few weeks ago that our front three should be Connolly - McGoldrick - Obafemi, especially for the reason given in bold. Connolly and Obafemi both provide pace and power out wide.

Just think this is what people should be talking about instead of why the two other young lads were selected ahead of Obafemi when the three of them should have been named together. Idah and Parrott didn't take Obafemis spot because we were never gonna play someone whose 5ft 6in as a lone striker when he's never played that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Was he?

Yep
    henke wrote: »
    They called up a few first timers and strangely Grealish still can't get in.

Aye. Grealish isnt going to get a call at his stage IMO. Seems like he is happy with Foden and Mount. Id have grealish ahead of mount tbth

24 players were only named because one of the 23 original players is injured. I can't see where this extra squad place was for Obafemi. Unless I'm reading what you said differently.
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't realise McGoldrick was taking up an extra bonus spot in the squad.

I think this is what people need to be talking about the most, the players we picked to play wide right and wide left, especially when the four lads named play or perform better when playing on the left.

I said it myself a few weeks ago that our front three should be Connolly - McGoldrick - Obafemi, especially for the reason given in bold. Connolly and Obafemi both provide pace and power out wide.

Just think this is what people should be talking about instead of why the two other young lads were selected ahead of Obafemi when the three of them should have been named together. Idah and Parrott didn't take Obafemis spot because we were never gonna play someone whose 5ft 6in as a lone striker when he's never played that role.

Yeah, I mean Idah and Parrott don't directly take his place, but they do indirectly just by an unnecessary 4th CF being picked. Just seems like there isn't really the gametime or oppertunity for both of them - Parrott makes sense, as you said, he's a backup fill-in for McGoldrick (though would expect Long to be the starter in that game anyway, with Parrott his bench fill in). So where's that leave Idah? Seems an unnecessary use of a spot, when we could've had one fewer CF, and one more Wing Forward.

As you say, Connolly and Obafemi feel like they make the most sense as support players to the CF - they're the only genuine goal threats for that role, and their natural games - pace and power and finishing - are perfect. Fits perfectly into the fullbacks behind them too - we've two of the best attacking fullbacks in the premier league in Doherty and Stevens, so it's ideal to have two wing-forwards who want to go narrower, opening up the channels for the fullbacks. Like a budget Liverpool in terms of formation and roles :o

I get what Kenny is saying in theory about Obafemi being a CF in a 2 at Southampton, but it doesn't tie up with how he actually plays. His natural game is always to drop deep and wide - into the wing-forward position - to get on the ball and run at defenders, quick one-twos with the striker etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well it's been hinted that McGoldrick could play deeper in a 4-2-3-1, something that Parrott can do too, so makes sense that he sees Parrott as somewhat similar player to McGoldrick. So maybe he looks at it as four guys that can play that lone striker role with two of the four being able play to play behind striker if things need changing mid match.

Agree with a lot of this. Also think some of those foaming at the mouth over the Obafemi exclusion aren't really understanding, or are simply choosing to ignore the points made above.

Agree with a lot of this. Also think some of those foaming at the mouth over the Obafemi exclusion aren't really understanding, or are simply choosing to ignore the points made above.

Just because someone is stating the reasons why Kenny left Obafemi out, and how they can understand those reasons, didn't mean they think he shouldn't be in the squad.

There were a few saying he'd wasn't good enough for Ireland, he couldn't deliver a corner, he was well down the order for England call ups, he was behind Grealish and others. I guess it's all opinion, and it's a bit academic seeing as he never expressed a desire to play for Ireland. But don't think anyone who saw Leeds play had any doubt but that he's a higher standard than Grealish, and he avoids the rolling around on pitches and nightclub floors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Will we have a new jersey out by the time of the game next week?

Yeah, sorry, I didn't realise McGoldrick was taking up an extra bonus spot in the squad.

Yeah, I mean Idah and Parrott don't directly take his place, but they do indirectly just by an unnecessary 4th CF being picked. Just seems like there isn't really the gametime or oppertunity for both of them - Parrott makes sense, as you said, he's a backup fill-in for McGoldrick (though would expect Long to be the starter in that game anyway, with Parrott his bench fill in). So where's that leave Idah? Seems an unnecessary use of a spot, when we could've had one fewer CF, and one more Wing Forward.

As you say, Connolly and Obafemi feel like they make the most sense as support players to the CF - they're the only genuine goal threats for that role, and their natural games - pace and power and finishing - are perfect. Fits perfectly into the fullbacks behind them too - we've two of the best attacking fullbacks in the premier league in Doherty and Stevens, so it's ideal to have two wing-forwards who want to go narrower, opening up the channels for the fullbacks. Like a budget Liverpool in terms of formation and roles :o

I actually think Idah might start against Bulgaria and I get what you're saying, but if we named two CFs and five wide forwards then you could also say where does that leave the fifth guy when only two can start and you'd have three on the bench. Think the extra forward spot should have been a defender myself, preferably O'Shea because an injury to one of our CBs leaves us with only two fit CBs for the upcoming game.

Plus where does Doherty play, if he plays Doherty further forward then you wonder again why we named four lads who play out wide and so few defenders. And speaking of Doherty he's been linked as a transfer target for Spurs this morning https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/1298263322949636109

I get what Kenny is saying in theory about Obafemi being a CF in a 2 at Southampton, but it doesn't tie up with how he actually plays. His natural game is always to drop deep and wide - into the wing-forward position - to get on the ball and run at defenders, quick one-twos with the striker etc.

Another reason why I think he should have been named ahead of O'Dowda, McClean or Robinson, because along with that he allows you to play two up front if you needed to make changes in game, similar with Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

showpony1 wrote: »
    Will we have a new jersey out by the time of the game next week?

Do we have a sponsor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Plus where does Doherty play, if he plays Doherty further forward then you wonder again why we named four lads who play out wide and so few defenders. And speaking of Doherty he's been linked as a transfer target for Spurs this morning https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/1298263322949636109

I was hoping it would be:

Seamus Duffy Egan
    Doherty Stevens

though it seems Stephen has alluded to playing 433 thus far.

I actually think Idah might start against Bulgaria and I get what you're saying, but if we named two CFs and five wide forwards then you could also say where does that leave the fifth guy when only two can start and you'd have three on the bench. Think the extra forward spot should have been a defender myself, preferably O'Shea because an injury to one of our CBs leaves us with only two fit CBs for the upcoming game.

Another reason why I think he should have been named ahead of O'Dowda, McClean or Robinson, because along with that he allows you to play two up front if you needed to make changes in game, similar with Connolly.

Really hope Doherty doesn't sign for Spurs while the Toxic One is in charge.

Really hope Doherty doesn't sign for Spurs while the Toxic One is in charge.

Spurs would have to pay big big money for Wolves to even entertain a bid for Doherty imo. He's one of their most important players. Transfermarkt value him at nearly 15m, if Spurs offered double that I'd say it still wouldn't be enough for Wolves to sell. Though Bohs would be crossing their fingers there's a big money move as they'd be due 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

McCarthy picked up an ankle injury playing for Palace today. That’s him out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement