Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

blinding wrote: »
    Irish supporters making eyes at Bamford is like a Gay Man making eyes at a Straight Man. Very Very Unlikely to be Consummated ! !

No one wants him, no one rates him bar Leeds fan Conor there:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair no real point even talking about Bamford as he is not available for us at this moment but Bamford is currently better than any striking option we have,

Idah and Parrott may become better but International football should be about the right now , grooming players for the future that's the job of there clubs , You don't have them long enough or often enough at Internationals to really effect there growth as a player,

International football for me is about picking who is the best player for the job needed at that exact moment

To be fair no real point even talking about Bamford as he is not available for us at this moment but Bamford is currently better than any striking option we have,
    This years Scott Hogan. He's muck.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I've seen Bamford play. He's bang average. That will be proven this season, he'll struggle in the EPL. Surprised Leeds didn't buy a striker, probably will buy one or two I'd imagine before the window closes.

They did.. they bought Rodrigo from Spain. He was on the bench the last day.
    Maybe Bielsa didnt want to upset the team too much and will ease him in.

No one wants him, no one rates him bar Leeds fan Conor there:pac:

A former Championship player of the Season? He was rated by some anyway.

And, unlike you, they watched him play.

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion that, on the basis of what you haven't seen, Bamford is "muck", Bielsa is...what was it..."tactically naive" etc. And as you watch Scottish football, I bow to your knowledge of muck and naivety...

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion that, on the basis of what you haven't seen, Bamford is "muck", Bielsa is...what was it..."tactically naive" etc. And as you watch Scottish football, I bow to your knowledge of muck and naivety...

We'll see how he does this season. Journeyman 27 year old Championship standard at best is how I rate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've seen Bamford play. He's bang average. That will be proven this season, he'll struggle in the EPL. Surprised Leeds didn't buy a striker, probably will buy one or two I'd imagine before the window closes.

Except Rodrigo, the one they paid their club record fee for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I see Conor Hourihane now being linked with Galatasaray. Sunshine all year round in Istanbul. A no brainer for him.

These lads must have the same agent as Hendrick, as someone reported that Turkish clubs were looking at Arter too last week.

James McCarthy getting good praise in Palaces win at the weekend. Read the attack well to rob possession which led to Townsend setting up Zaha for the games only goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I like Bamford. Think he's a good, honest player who contributes well to the team overall but isn't a goalscorer. I think Ireland have enough of those already, in fact it seems to be all we have.

Would he make the Irish squad if he wanted to? I think that is a definite yes. Is he the answer to our overall problems? I think that's a no.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We'll see how he does this season. Journeyman 27 year old Championship standard at best is how I rate him.

I wouldn't disagree with the above at all but unfortunately at this current time he would still be better right now than any of or other striker's

Yes some of our young lads have higher ceiling's than him but are yet to be anywhere near the finished articles

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Would he make the Irish squad if he wanted to? I think that is a definite yes. Is he the answer to our overall problems? I think that's a no.

I think he would be good enough to start.

But I'd have no interest in seeing him in an Irish shirt. Whatever we think about his level, I think we'd all agree he is far below the level where we should beg him to consider us.

Except Rodrigo, the one they paid their club record fee for.

I'd imagine he'll be first choice soon. They were linked with Eddy as well I believe, but hopefully they'll stay away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

These lads must have the same agent as Hendrick, as someone reported that Turkish clubs were looking at Arter too last week.

James McCarthy getting good praise in Palaces win at the weekend. Read the attack well to rob possession which led to Townsend setting up Zaha for the games only goal.

Yeh he done well. Hopefully he can keep ticking over and get a decent run of 90 minutes under his belt. Hopefully himself and Hendrick can keep up that start of the season and bring the form into the Slovakia game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Agreed that Coleman has to come back into team. Doherty has been given plenty of opportunities to impress now. On the wing v Gibraltar, and 3 games at RB against Denmark, Bulgaria and Finland.

He’s done nothing to show that he deserves to start over Coleman for us. Coleman’s leadership qualities also cannot be underestimated.

4 games one of which he scored in lets not forget how terrible Coleman was for us in his last few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hendrick was fantastic over weekend. I mean he looked a top player.

Thing is he is still only 28 and now hopefully this move might be best thing for him.

That young lad at Lincoln got good review too too from it’s fan forum.

I see Idah and Manning have been questioned by their managers. Hopefully a bit of wake up call for both. Delighted see Idah get off the mark. Hopefully a good season for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its funny how Bamford doesn't want to pay for Ireland as he is never going to get near a cap for England, maybe he just doesnt want to take caps off real Irish lads, same reason mark noble had. The likes of aaron connolly is going to be twice the player bamford is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its funny how Bamford doesn't want to pay for Ireland as he is never going to get near a cap for England, maybe he just doesnt want to take caps off real Irish lads, same reason mark noble had. The likes of aaron connolly is going to be twice the player bamford is.

Personally I have great respect for Noble for not playing for us which he could easily have done and had a long international career. He clearly never felt Irish and did the right thing. If the same is true of Bamford I never want to see him in an Ireland jersey no matter how bad our striking options are. I have no problem with lads born outside Ireland playing but only when they feel themselves Irish.

eire4 wrote: »
    Personally I have great respect for Noble for not playing for us which he could easily have done and had a long international career. He clearly never felt Irish and did the right thing. If the same is true of Bamford I never want to see him in an Ireland jersey no matter how bad our striking options are. I have no problem with lads born outside Ireland playing but only when they feel themselves Irish.

Yes I admire Noble for his reason not to play for us, id say he would have enjoyed the experience though if he chose to play for us. you would imagine most pro footballers would like to play at a euros and play against the best players from other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Scoundrel wrote: »
    4 games one of which he scored in lets not forget how terrible Coleman was for us in his last few games

One game.

One year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Connolly not over impressive tonight, practically anonymous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Connolly not over impressive tonight, practically anonymous

The worst thing to happen to that lad was bursting on the scene in the manner that he did. If he had had a slow average start we'd be talking about how we have a young striker with some decent qualities that has time on his side to mature into a decent premier league striker all going well.

But because of that game against Spurs and the fact that he hasn't repeated it people seem to be talking about him like he's already a busted flush.

Give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He actually created few chances when he came on. For me I think he be better at team like Southampton.

He makes some very clever runs and wins frees when ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anthony Stokes has left Livingston after 2 weeks.

Even by his standards that was a brief stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pjohnson wrote: »

Yeh he seems to be finished. Will probably end up at Rovers or another LOI club next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

pjohnson wrote: »

After all his ‘ adventures ‘ = = Its Him Not Them ! !

sugarman wrote: »
    :confused:

Aside from the Switzerland game where everyone was poor, what other games was he "terrible" in?

He was absolutely abysmal against Switzerland the worst player on the park and fairly poor against Georgia IIRC I mean he was dropped for a reason I personally believe he should be right back with Doherty further forward but as a straight choice i'll still side with Doherty. Any criticism of Coleman shouldn't be regarded as heretical as it is on here.

He was absolutely abysmal against Switzerland the worst player on the park and fairly poor against Georgia IIRC I mean he was dropped for a reason I personally believe he should be right back with Doherty further forward but as a straight choice i'll still side with Doherty. Any criticism of Coleman shouldn't be regarded as heretical as it is on here.

No heresy, just your throwaway remark bout him being crap for loads of games when it was one where he stubbornly tried to beat his man non-stop and got sent off.

Georgia away? When we kept a clean sheet? What was your major criticism of him that day? Should be pointed out both Swiss away, when we were outclassed, and Georgia away were widely deemed poor team performances.

noodler wrote: »
    No heresy, just your throwaway remark bout him being crap for loads of games when it was one where he stubbornly tried to beat his man non-stop and got sent off.

Georgia away? When we kept a clean sheet? What was your major criticism of him that day? Should be pointed out both Swiss away, when we were outclassed, and Georgia away were widely deemed poor team performances.

They were poor performances as a team right enough but 2 managers in a row now have dropped him for Doherty they obviously see Doherty as the better option and Coleman as not being the player he used to be.

Stokes was on fire that day. He could play when he wanted to.

They were poor performances as a team right enough but 2 managers in a row now have dropped him for Doherty they obviously see Doherty as the better option and Coleman as not being the player he used to be.

?

When did McCarthy drop Coleman?

He didn't play against Denmark because he was suspended.

Kenny hasn't played a qualifier yet.

God I wonder about the memories on here sometimes.

• Advertisement

?

When did McCarthy drop Coleman?

He didn't play against Denmark because he was suspended.

Kenny hasn't played a qualifier yet.

God I wonder about the memories on here sometimes.

IMO the suspension saved him from being dropped after the stinker he put in against Switzerland and his woeful club form at the time and he was fit for our last 2 games yet Doherty was chosen ahead of him.

IMO the suspension saved him from being dropped after the stinker he put in against Switzerland and his woeful club form at the time and he was fit for our last 2 games yet Doherty was chosen ahead of him.

I'm glad you've now admitted McCarthy never dropped him - only in a counterfactual scenario you have concocted.

Like many, I think it is premature to rule Coleman out of the next qualifier (play-off). Certainly Doherty hasn't impressed at RB whilst Coleman just enjoyed a super win at WHL.

I'm.not entirely sure why some have it out for Coleman, it feels like a side effect of thinking Doherty will solve everything but I don't really think we can afford to keep either out of the team.

I'm glad you've now admitted McCarthy never dropped him - only in a counterfactual scenario you have concocted.

Like many, I think it is premature to rule Coleman out of the next qualifier (play-off). Certainly Doherty hasn't impressed at RB whilst Coleman just enjoyed a super win at WHL.

I'm.not entirely sure why some have it out for Coleman, it feels like a side effect of thinking Doherty will solve everything but I don't really think we can afford to keep either out of the team.

I'm not ruling him out I just find the obsessive need to defend him baffling and Kenny has most definitely dropped him no injury no suspension dropped for the last 2 games.

I don't have it out for Coleman at all but I can acknowledge when he has been poor and deserving of being dropped for Doherty our form player in the PL last season but as i have said my own preference would be for both to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Coleman has been in better form since the Swiss game. Nonsense to be writing him off. MOTM in Liverpool not long ago and started at the weekend in a good win. As a he defender he is superior to Doherty no question. Ancelotti is a multiple times Champions League winner and has been splashing the cash at Everton recently. He knows a thing or two about top level players and he still keeping Seamie around and giving him game time. For me there is no question he starts the play off.

Also, in Kenny's first two games I don't believe we dropped him but wanted a good look at Doherty in a back four. As he said himself he was being experimental. Doherty has been great for Wolves as a wing back. Different position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t think anyone has it in for Coleman.
    He had quite a serious leg break and is now only getting back to normal.
    He had more than one poorish game for Ireland too after coming back imo but that was understandable. Any manager would have given Doherty games as he was playing well for Wolves, especially going forward.
    Coleman back playing well and is a better player than Doherty especially in the green shirt. Doherty has not been great this year for club or country.

henke wrote: »
    Coleman has been in better form since the Swiss game. Nonsense to be writing him off. MOTM in Liverpool not long ago and started at the weekend in a good win. As a he defender he is superior to Doherty no question. Ancelotti is a multiple times Champions League winner and has been splashing the cash at Everton recently. He knows a thing or two about top level players and he still keeping Seamie around and giving him game time. For me there is no question he starts the play off.

Also, in Kenny's first two games I don't believe we dropped him but wanted a good look at Doherty in a back four. As he said himself he was being experimental. Doherty has been great for Wolves as a wing back. Different position.

I'm sorry but if we are going to play that game the multi time champions league winner Jose Mourinho has just signed Doherty as his starting right back.

I have said I would like to see both play if possible but if it's a straight shootout between them i'd prefer Doherty.

I'm sorry but if we are going to play that game the multi time champions league winner Jose Mourinho has just signed Doherty as his starting right back.

I have said I would like to see both play if possible but if it's a straight shootout between them i'd prefer Doherty.

Yeah but Seamie was better at the weekend and Mourinho's transfer record has been dodgy in recent years.

I agree I would like to see both accommodated too but they aren't like for like. Seamie better defensively and Doherty can offer more to the attack but if its a choice who to go with in a back four in a do-or-die game where we are underdogs I go with Coleman. We are going to need to be strong at the back and not concede daft goals and for me Coleman in current form is less likely to lapse than Doherty in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I too would opt for Coleman against Slovakia. Not saying Doherty shouldn't play for us again or anything but for this specific game I think Coleman offers more defensively, in terms of leadership and in terms of experience and partnership with the current back four. Unfortunately Doherty did not give us much going forward in the first two games so I don't think he did enough to warrant a start in such an important game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good bit of Irish involvement this evening in the League Cup.

Jason Knight is in action for Derby against Preston, while Derby have Ola Ibrahim on the bench. Maguire and Browne playing for the away side. 0-0 currently.

Travers and Kilkenny on the bench for Bournemouth's game with Palace.

Ciaran Clark starts for Newcastle against Blackburn. Williams and Lenihan start for the visitors.

Randolph starts for West Ham against Charlton.

Bazunu starts for Rochdale against Sheffield Wednesday. There is a debut for Wednesday's 17-year-old Ciaran Brennan. Not familiar with him but seems to be a RB.

• Advertisement

I wonder what Cullen's story at West Ham is. I thought he might have got a move this summer he yet might I just don't know has he a future there.

Was just thinking that tonight is a night you would really miss the Kennys Kids page as it can be hard to find lineups for these Carabao Cup games.

Just discovered this page this evening which seems to be stepping up to the plate!

https://twitter.com/LeagueofIrish1/status/1305938373387968513?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

great to see so many irish players doing well with the clubs but realistically who new is going to come in for the October window bar maybe Odofemi ?

Hopefully not the case but if were out of the Euros come November we could see a few experienced players rested and new guys come in for that window

Good bit of Irish involvement this evening in the League Cup.

Jason Knight is in action for Derby against Preston, while Derby have Ola Ibrahim on the bench. Maguire and Browne playing for the away side. 0-0 currently.

Travers and Kilkenny on the bench for Bournemouth's game with Palace.

Ciaran Clark starts for Newcastle against Blackburn. Williams and Lenihan start for the visitors.

Randolph starts for West Ham against Charlton.

Bazunu starts for Rochdale against Sheffield Wednesday. There is a debut for Wednesday's 17-year-old Ciaran Brennan. Not familiar with him but seems to be a RB.

Only 16 but looks mid 20s, guys a beast for a teenager. Suppose to be an attacking midfielder too. Surprised Festy Ebosele isn't in the squad tonight, did pre season with the first team and some tip him at the end of last season to be the next academy player to break into the senior squad for Derby.

henke wrote: »
    I wonder what Cullen's story at West Ham is. I thought he might have got a move this summer he yet might I just don't know has he a future there.

Will probably walk on a free next summer but the lad will be 25 come next summer. Supposedly Leeds were eyeing him up as an option before West Ham triggered an extension in his contract. Played a lovely ball in over the top for West Hams goal tonight.

https://twitter.com/bradleyjames22/status/1305943226742906883

• Advertisement

It will be frustrating if he spends the year as back up at West Ham. Had two good seasons at Charlton and there are midfield spots up for grabs in our squad, if he could break into the West Ham team or get a move to an upper Championship team he would surely get a chance in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It will be frustrating if he spends the year as back up at West Ham. Had two good seasons at Charlton and there are midfield spots up for grabs in our squad, if he could break into the West Ham team or get a move to an upper Championship team he would surely get a chance in the team.

Plays the same position as Rice, doesn't he?

Josh Cullen getting positive feedback for his performance from his boss:

https://twitter.com/LouisMend/status/1305972845357543424

And here's his former coach Lee Bowyer whose team he faced tonight:

https://twitter.com/RichCawleySLP/status/1305970183828377606

Great to hear this about a midfielder. Randolph kept a clean sheet and Coventry got some minutes, so a good day all round for our West Ham lads.

Ciaran Brennan seems to have done well for Sheffield Wednesday tonight in their win at Rochdale. Here's a writer for the Sheffield Star that was covering the game:

https://twitter.com/AlexMiller91/status/1305950933407477760

https://twitter.com/AlexMiller91/status/1305965756480401410

Wednesday also brought on a 19-year-old Irish midfielder Conor Grant late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Bazunu had a great game by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I don’t think anyone has it in for Coleman.
    He had quite a serious leg break and is now only getting back to normal.
    He had more than one poorish game for Ireland too after coming back imo but that was understandable. Any manager would have given Doherty games as he was playing well for Wolves, especially going forward.
    Coleman back playing well and is a better player than Doherty especially in the green shirt. Doherty has not been great this year for club or country.

He has played one game for his club! I am sorry but the manner of criticism of Irish players by Irish fans is really starting to perplex me. And yes I totally agree with your point he hasn't done a lot for Ireland so far but it is so unfair to bring up his club form based on 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement