Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

population wrote: »
    He has played one game for his club! I am sorry but the manner of criticism of Irish players by Irish fans is really starting to perplex me. And yes I totally agree with your point he hasn't done a lot for Ireland so far but it is so unfair to bring up his club form based on 90 minutes.

Coleman should start v Slovakia at rb, let's stop beating around the bush here.

Doherty maybe should play right mid, but never rb unless Stephen Kenny goes with a 3-5-2 which is unlikely as he didn't trial that in his two Nations League games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Coleman should start v Slovakia at rb, let's stop beating around the bush here.

Doherty maybe should play right mid, but never rb unless Stephen Kenny goes with a 3-5-2 which is unlikely as he didn't trial that in his two Nations League games.

No argument from me on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Nobody is saying Doherty is **** or isn’t deserving of another chance in the future but right now Coleman looks to be the better option at right back.

Doherty did not impress in the 2 nation league games. Coleman deserves the spot back for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Coleman deserves his place back and thats coming from somebody who wanted him dropped last year.

A issue I had with Coleman was he was getting involved in fights with players for no reason . I know he captain and was great see passion but at times he went too far. Fair enough a bad challenge then let them know you wont take it, I fully supported him on that, but he was doing it after nearly every free.

I'm delighted see Coleman in form though. May it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Ciaran Clark played last night for the first time since December put in a very decent performance in an admittedly crap game with Steve Bruce praising him afterwards always good to have an option for a left footed centre half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Prob not a good sign that O'Shea is starting tonight with WBA after signing Ivanovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

population wrote: »
    He has played one game for his club! I am sorry but the manner of criticism of Irish players by Irish fans is really starting to perplex me. And yes I totally agree with your point he hasn't done a lot for Ireland so far but it is so unfair to bring up his club form based on 90 minutes.

It’s my opinion that he wasn’t great this year with Wolves defensively either.
    Maybe that’s why they sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's been class for wolves all calendar year tbf.

noodler wrote: »
    He's been class for wolves all calendar year tbf.

It’s all opinions Noodles, all opinions.

Another goal for Duffy tonight. Also 5 Irish lads starting for St Mirren against them

• Advertisement

It’s all opinions Noodles, all opinions.

Not really, Taytor, not really.

A big part of why they finished as high as they did and progressed in the EL as far as they did.

Maybe you can point to one or two defensive lapses over the period (or can you?) but it doesn't change the face he had a stellar season and that includes 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Jose hardly bought him because hes a bad defender.

Not really, Taytor, not really.

A big part of why they finished as high as they did and progressed in the EL as far as they did.

Maybe you can point to one or two defensive lapses over the period (or can you?) but it doesn't change the face he had a stellar season and that includes 2020.

You’re entitled to your opinion Noodles. That’s what this forum is for. Opinions.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Jose hardly bought him because hes a bad defender.

Jose has not always bought wisely.

Jose has not always bought wisely.

Beats your narrative that Wolves actively tried to flog him because he was a defensive liability in fairness!

Beats your narrative that Wolves actively tried to flog him because he was a defensive liability in fairness!

Your opinion again.
    Wonder why Wolves sold him?

Your opinion again.
    Wonder why Wolves sold him?

I'm gonna say the money 💰

Probably an element of not wanting to stand in his way either.

But I must say it's a bizarre opinion that the actively wanted rid of one of their star performers even accepting everyone has an opinion.

I'm gonna say the money ��

Probably an element of not wanting to stand in his way either.

But I must say it's a bizarre opinion that the actively wanted rid of one of their star performers even accepting everyone has an opinion.

Nobody said they wanted rid of him. I asked why did they let him go and for such a paltry fee of 14.7 million only. Now that’s bizarre. Doesn’t seem to have been much of an effort to convince him to stay either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nobody said they wanted rid of him. I asked why did they let him go and for such a paltry fee of 14.7 million only. Now that’s bizarre. Doesn’t seem to have been much of an effort to convince him to stay either.

He was at Wolves for 10 years. I daresay the club may have been happy enough with his decade of service that they didn’t stand in the way of this opportunity, even if Spurs were not offering his full value.

In the same way Chelsea were appreciative enough of Cech’s decade of service and let him join a rival in Arsenal.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He was at Wolves for 10 years. I daresay the club may have been happy enough with his decade of service that they didn’t stand in the way of this opportunity, even if Spurs were not offering his full value.

In the same way Chelsea were appreciative enough of Cech’s long service and let him join a rival in Arsenal.

Don’t know about that.
    Seems very cheap and usually they’d have to buy a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Don’t know about that.

Jorge Mendes is the only reason that deal was so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Don’t know about that.

It's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

You seem to be both arguing that he's shit (or generally unwanted), and that he's also too cheap?

I would say he's very good, and is cheap because;
    1) He gave them a decade of service, and they did what lots of clubs do, and didn't stand in the way of a good move for him after that length of time. And,
    2) The deal was done effectively by one person in the middle of all of it, with Jorge Mendes and Gestifute representing everyone involved on both sides.

Money is obviously tight all over, and Wolves made a big splash with that record breaking kid, so perhaps that was an extra incentive to take the deal, which left everyone fairly content.

As for a replacement, the way they've lined up it looks like they aren't going to need one. They were struggling to fit everyone they wanted into the team anyway, and shifting Traore from wing forward to wing back solves all their problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Across the board it seems pretty widely accepted he was the 4th best of the right backs (these POTY competitions have pretty regimented boxing of positions) last year in the league behind TAA, Wan Bissaka and Pereira from Leicester. Of course everyone can have an opinion but you'd be largely out on your own thinking he was poor. You'd also be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Don’t know about that.

Wolves are rebuilding but don't need to buy an exact replacement for Doherty as they feel Traore could replace him. Traore is four years younger than Doherty, Neto that that played wing forward is four years younger than Traore. There new record signing is a CF but I'm sure he can play wing forward and he's still only 18.

Wolves had issues with FFP and need to sell to buy, and then you've got Jorge Mendes and his filthy mitts all over Wolves. Big risk from Wolves, pretty sure only Trent Alexander Arnold had better stats than Doherty over the last two seasons.

Nobody is saying that Doherty is rubbish.
    He’s not as good as Coleman at right back but he’s all we have as an alternative and he was poor in the main anytime he played for Ireland.
    He’s also not as good as many posters are making him out to be. That’s my point and I also think that Wolves also realised that hence the very average price. Arsenal got more for a second choice keeper this week.

As I said it’s all about opinion.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote:
    Goal for Didzy against Burnley in the Carabao Cup.

sugarman wrote:
    Brady, Long and Dunne getting a run out for Burnley.

Brady scored the winning goal in the penalty shootout after.

Molumphy starting for Brighton against Portsmouth. Curtis starting for them.

McClean and Collins starting for Stoke in a back 5 for Stoke against Wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

I'll probably be called a LOI nut here, but I like what I see from Jack Byrne more than the other midfield at the moment. Watching him against Milan and he's been good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just turned on to Sky for the Brighton game to see Molumby playing at RB. I'd rather he go on loan again and be in his proper position than have Potter use him as some sort of utility man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Just turned on to Sky for the Brighton game to see Molumby playing at RB. I'd rather he go on loan again and be in his proper position than have Potter use him as some sort of utility man.
    How is he playing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

blinding wrote: »
    How is he playing ?

Since I've been watching he lost out to Curtis and gave away a free-kick trying to retrieve it. Doesn't look comfortable out there. Brighton are though as they're winning 3-0 and it's not yet at the hour mark.

Update: Since Potter made a few subs he's been allowed move further upfield. I'd love him to grab a goal or assist. Portsmouth are waiting for the whistle at this stage.

Full-time and it ended 4-0 Brighton. Stephens went off injured, and Brighton had used up their subs, so they just saw the game out rather than push for more. Molumby looked a lot more relaxed in midfield. He was directing passes and being vocal as he tends to do there. Not sure he's going to get much game time under Potter. Best hope is probably that he plays the third round game at Preston. Might be a bit of Irish interest in that tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I see Molumby got the full 90 tonight as did Nathan Collins as Stoke won away to Wolves. It would be good if he can establish himself there this season.

Strange that no team is in for Byrne at championship level at least. many teams are struggling for money for new signings and he wouldn't cost much compared to a signing from another championship/league 1 club or a loan player from EPL

Strange that no team is in for Byrne at championship level at least. many teams are struggling for money for new signings and he wouldn't cost much compared to a signing from another championship/league 1 club or a loan player from EPL

He is a real home bird, he probably doesn't want to go back to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Thought Jack Byrne was really excellent tonight. Very cool in position even under pressure, sprayed the ball effortlessly and played a super killer pass for Rovers first decent chance. Well able to dictate the tempo and know when to play the creative pass or play safe. Held his own in midfield, was very impressed. Think he could do the same at championship level and should be considered for international selection if he's putting in performances like tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Really think Byrne should avoid the championship, doesn’t suit his physique or style of play. The reason he impressed tonight was because it was a technical game of football with the ball on the floor and both teams passing it around.

That’s the reason jack Byrne stood out against AC Milan but would probably struggle away to Barnsley or Sheffield Wednesday.

It’s no disgrace to not be suited to the English game, Wes really wasn’t either but did well in the end but he should have gone to the continent where he would have flourished more .

Byrne should be aiming for holland , Portugal, France even Italy after tonight. And Ireland would be all the better for it

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

sugarman wrote: »
    Easily our best passer of the ball and is always showing for it. Was excellent tonight, held his own against a quality side full of Internationals and not for the first time in Europe either.

He really needs be in the Ireland squad. The argument of him not being up to it simply because he plays in the LOI doesnt stand up. Most of that Finland squad we faced play their club football in Finland/Norway/Denmark/Sweden, leagues not too far off our quality.

Byrne and Rovers actually faced a Finnish team (Ilves) in Europe this season and beat them on penos and they they played a team from Norway (Brann) last season and beat them over 2 legs also.

Its nonsense to suggest hes not up to doing for Ireland against the likes of Finland and Bulgaria nevermind even lesser opposition like your Gibraltars, Faores, San Marinos etc..

Im not saying start him every game, but hes just something completely different to have available when we need. He has the ability to change things and pick out players with killer passes. We seen it when he came on against Bulgaria in a friendly last year, he wasnt out of place at all.

Kenny was there tonight, so hopefully he has seen enough for his inclusion.

Byrne done enough tonight to be considered for the Slovakia game, excellent in the first half, created some great chances, his performance was stifled in the second half as a result of Milan trying to man mark him out of the game but still showed glimpses of what he can do,

Despite a shaky start I thought Lopez done well at CB, no doubt played his way into the next Cape Verde squad,

Other promising signs from some of the younger Rovers players tonight, it just goes to show with the right set up at club and under age level, there is potential there for league of Ireland clubs to produce some players of international quality

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

tastyt wrote: »
    Really think Byrne should avoid the championship, doesn’t suit his physique or style of play. The reason he impressed tonight was because it was a technical game of football with the ball on the floor and both teams passing it around.

That’s the reason jack Byrne stood out against AC Milan but would probably struggle away to Barnsley or Sheffield Wednesday.

It’s no disgrace to not be suited to the English game, Wes really wasn’t either but did well in the end but he should have gone to the continent where he would have flourished more .

Byrne should be aiming for holland , Portugal, France even Italy after tonight. And Ireland would be all the better for it

have to agree with this, there is a reason why Byrne done well when he was playing in the Eredevise, but struggled in Scotland and at lower league clubs in England, there is a more technical element to his game, a lot of fans seem to think if you cant make it in English football then you are not up to the standard, but the dynamics of European football have been changing for some time now

tastyt wrote: »

Byrne already played in Holland on loan at Cambuur. If it's the case he wants to live in Dublin and is willing to forego better wages for example to do that, that shouldn't be detrimental to his international career. He looked fine against AC Milan. Stephen Kenny above all managers going you'd expect would have him in the squad and use him off the bench or in certain games like Hoolahan was used under O'Neill or Trap.

I realise there's the argument that he needs to go abroad to fully develop, but if he's good enough right now to be in the squad he should be in it and when you look at some of the players that actually started the two recent NL games, he's definitely worth his place in the squad. Whether he goes abroad or not is up to him, he should be in the squad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Byrne should be given a chance no doubt at this stage. let's see what he can do in terms of creativity etc but if he's a passenger then this argument should be put to bed. I don't think he is going to be the panacea that some hope he will be. For me, it comes down to the level he plays at week in / out.

it's very hard to come from such a low base to providing the creativity needed against some really good well organised international teams. You can't just switch that on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Agree with everyone else who says Byrne should be given an opportunity. He does offer something different. Definitely there is merit in the argument he doesn't play at high enough level to be a regular international but the same time I think even playing where is he can more than cut it against some of the mediocre nations we play against and offers a different threat.

• Advertisement

Yeah given the level he plays at a touch of realism must be retained. He won't be unlocking Germany or Spain but he doesnt have to. We are never going to be at a level to go blow for blow with sides like that. We only need him to be good enough to give us a different threat against sides like Wales and Denmark, hell even Georgia and Finland level. He at the very least deserves a chance to show whether he can do that.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Yeah given the level he plays at a touch of realism must be retained. He won't be unlocking Germany or Spain but he doesnt have to. We are never going to be at a level to go blow for blow with sides like that. We only need him to be good enough to give us a different threat against sides like Wales and Denmark, hell even Georgia and Finland level. He at the very least deserves a chance to show whether he can do that.

I don’t think anyone expects him to unlock Germany or Spain and no one said that. We were ineffectual against Bulgaria and Finland. We’re facing Slovakia and NI/Bosnia for the Euro qualifiers. I was surprised Kenny left Byrne out and it was concerning that instead he started journeyman O’Dowda who we already know is very average in both NL games. There will be posters on here saying we’re picking on O’Dowda or obsessed with him etc., O’Dowda has been around for years, he’s never been effective and never will be. Hopefully Byrne will be in the next squad even to play a cameo role and then to start games perhaps in the other NL games which we are told are being used to experiment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I don’t think anyone expects him to unlock Germany or Spain and no one said that. We were ineffectual against Bulgaria and Finland. We’re facing Slovakia and NI/Bosnia for the Euro qualifiers. I was surprised Kenny left Byrne out and it was concerning that instead he started journeyman O’Dowda who we already know is very average in both NL games. There will be posters on here saying we’re picking on O’Dowda or obsessed with him etc., O’Dowda has been around for years, he’s never been effective and never will be. Hopefully Byrne will be in the next squad even to play a cameo role and then to start games perhaps in the other NL games which we are told are being used to experiment.
    O'Dowda is certainly making his way to the toilet in the last chance saloon. Talk about a fella that flatters to deceive ! !

blinding wrote: »
    O'Dowda is certainly making his way to the toilet in the last chance saloon. Talk about a fella that flatters to deceive ! !

very harsh on O'Dowda, he is a good player.

The 4th goal he scores in this video is a goal messi would be proud of.

Stephanie Roche scored a goal Messi would be proud of, don't think anyone feels it warrants her a place in the side either.

O' Dowda's career has amounted to nothing so far. He promised much and has just done nothing. That video of his best goals is 36 seconds long and totals 4 goals. Which is actually half his goals for Bristol City. We should be looking elsewhere until he shows more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Byrne should be given a chance no doubt at this stage. let's see what he can do in terms of creativity etc but if he's a passenger then this argument should be put to bed. I don't think he is going to be the panacea that some hope he will be. For me, it comes down to the level he plays at week in / out.

it's very hard to come from such a low base to providing the creativity needed against some really good well organised international teams. You can't just switch that on.

But he already did it more than any other player in a friendly against Bulgaria. There has been 15/20 lads on the squad who have been passengers for the last few years and have got numerous chances so Byrne shouldn’t be written off if he has one quiet game for Ireland.

He will be though , and you are right it’s because of the level he plays at

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Stephanie Roche scored a goal Messi would be proud of, don't think anyone feels it warrants her a place in the side either.

O' Dowda's career has amounted to nothing so far. He promised much and has just done nothing. That video of his best goals is 36 seconds long and totals 4 goals. Which is actually half his goals for Bristol City. We should be looking elsewhere until he shows more

so did Hendrick, mccarthy, arter, browne, Hourihan, the list is endless.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    so did Hendrick, mccarthy, arter, browne, Hourihan, the list is endless.

Hold on a second here; all of them that you listed have contributed much much more at one point or other than O’Dowda. Bar Browne maybe who hasn’t been given many opportunities. O’Dowda has had loads of opportunities, much more than his displays have merited.

Hold on a second here; all of them that you listed have contributed much much more at one point or other than O’Dowda. Bar Browne maybe who hasn’t been given many opportunities. O’Dowda has had loads of opportunities, much more than his displays have merited.

O Dowda like jack byrne offers us something different in my opinion. he is only 25, what age was wes hoolihan when he started playing for us?

• Advertisement

Does O'Dowda support Rangers or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement