Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone expects him to unlock Germany or Spain and no one said that. We were ineffectual against Bulgaria and Finland. We’re facing Slovakia and NI/Bosnia for the Euro qualifiers. I was surprised Kenny left Byrne out and it was concerning that instead he started journeyman O’Dowda who we already know is very average in both NL games. There will be posters on here saying we’re picking on O’Dowda or obsessed with him etc., O’Dowda has been around for years, he’s never been effective and never will be. Hopefully Byrne will be in the next squad even to play a cameo role and then to start games perhaps in the other NL games which we are told are being used to experiment.
    noodler wrote: »
    Does O'Dowda support Rangers or something?

Predictably idiotic response.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    O Dowda like jack byrne offers us something different in my opinion. he is only 25, what age was wes hoolihan when he started playing for us?

Don’t see it with O’Dowda and he’s had loads of opportunities. Byrne deserves a chance he could be useful, we already know O’Dowda is extremely limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Predictably idiotic response.

O'Dowda does seem to get a lot of unwarranted hate on here in fairness, its strange. You would think he is declan rice or something, he turns up and gives his best every time, what else do you want from him?:confused:

Don’t see it with O’Dowda and he’s had loads of opportunities. Byrne deserves a chance he could be useful, we already know O’Dowda is extremely limited.

most of the team is limited, I would have O'Dowda over the likes of mcclean any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Hang on... How has Jack Byrne had a better career than O'Dowda? I'd love to see Byrne move to a proper league and do well, but until then he's unproven at a decent level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Still Ill wrote: »
    Hang on... How has Jack Byrne had a better career than O'Dowda? I'd love to see Byrne move to a proper league and do well, but until then he's unproven at a decent level.

O'Dowda whilst not exactly pulling up trees with Bristol City is still a level above Jack Byrne.

Massive LOI fan, but c'mon O'Dowda is operating at a higher level.

You cannot slate O'Dowda's impact in the championship (which actually isn't bad in fairness) and ignore Byrne's impact at the likes of Wigan, Oldham and Kilmarnock.

Byrne has talent but he needs to show it at a higher level. Some of the excuses you would hear for him are laughable (He's a homebird, the championship doesn't suit him etc..)

I get it the championship doesn't suit the more technical players, but jaysus the really good players will make it work anywhere. And if you are not cutting it at Wigan (who ironically played decent stuff), then even the smaller "big clubs" on the continent aren't going to make a move for you.

Attitude may be something holding him back. Lots of players who are used to being a big fish in a small pond until they hit their ceiling surrounded by better players even at youth level, and their ego cannot take it.

Sure didn't Richie Towell look amazing in the LOI and he's knocking around League 2 now. No matter what way you look at it, the Championship is a huge step up from the LOI and international football is another step up from that. If Byrne is anywhere near as talented as people think, he's wasting his career in the LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Sure didn't Richie Towell look amazing in the LOI and he's knocking around League 2 now. No matter what way you look at it, the Championship is a huge step up from the LOI and international football is another step up from that. If Byrne is anywhere near as talented as people think, he's wasting his career in the LOI

Getting well paid for it. You don't jump from the championship to a team just promoted to league two for the fun it. Same with Gaffney and Rooney dropping down to the conference from League One and the SPL to play with Salford. Rooney was meant to be on more at Salford than he was at Aberdeen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

very harsh on O'Dowda, he is a good player.

The 4th goal he scores in this video is a goal messi would be proud of.
    Oh, he has ability but end product and end product consistently is another think. At the moment he is looking like another Mark Kennedy ~ ~ Loads of ability but a career that did not measure up to much in comparison to that ability. Mark Kennedy just was not willing to put in the effort ~ ~ Is O’Dowda the same ? ?

blinding wrote: »
    Oh, he has ability but end product and end product consistently is another think. At the moment he is looking like another Mark Kennedy ~ ~ Loads of ability but a career that did not measure up to much in comparison to that ability. Mark Kennedy just was not willing to put in the effort ~ ~ Is O’Dowda the same ? ?

Pretty much the same imo. O'Dowda is up there with McGeady as a frustrating player. With his size, athletism and technical ability he should be doing it more often but will have a good game or two and then goes back to being bang average in a bang average Bristol City team.

Poster above using Wes' career to say O'Dowda could come good in time and the only difference there is Wes had all the ability but was held back by his size in getting a move to England when younger. O'Dowda has all that but his lack of effort holds him back.

• Advertisement

Getting well paid for it. You don't jump from the championship to a team just promoted to league two for the fun it. Same with Gaffney and Rooney dropping down to the conference from League One and the SPL to play with Salford. Rooney was meant to be on more at Salford than he was at Aberdeen.

Rooney is playing in the National League now, I wonder are they paying him more than Salford were?

Rooney is playing in the National League now, I wonder are they paying him more than Salford were?
    He must have got a good contract to go to Salford. I assume it was paid in full.

It was said that Rooney was getting the same or more from Salford as he was with Aberdeen which goes to show where Scottish football is on the greater scale of things ! !

He must have got a good contract to go to Salford. I assume it was paid in full.

It was said that Rooney was getting the same or more from Salford as he was with Aberdeen which goes to show where Scottish football is on the greater scale of things ! !

would you be bothered leaving the SPL to go play in league 2 on $hit pitches in $hit stadiums with and against inferior players? he wasn't all that far from an Ireland call up and he goes to league 2.

would you be bothered leaving the SPL to go play in league 2 on $hit pitches in $hit stadiums with inferior players? he wasn't all that far from an Ireland call up and he goes to league 2.
    I’d say he had a far more realistic opinion of his chances with Ireland. They were in fact very small. All the same he must have got a very good contract from Salford and he was not getting any younger. I hope he made a good few bob out of it and is hopefully doing alright now as well. Professional football is a short career ~ ~ best of luck to the lad.

O'Dowda does seem to get a lot of unwarranted hate on here in fairness, its strange. You would think he is declan rice or something, he turns up and gives his best every time, what else do you want from him?:confused:

That's all he can do. Nothing against the lad at all I don't think he's a starter for Ireland, bad and all as our choices are there's better options.

I hope Kenny doesn't become a slave to systems and that he must always play a 4-3-3. Play a 4-3-3 if we have the players for that but he's got to be flexible and change formations to suit the players.

I think Kennedy had more ability but lacked the desire to make it at the very top. Liverpool paid a record fee for a teenager for him at the time. O'Dowda, nothing wrong with his attitude, he's just mediocre in terms of ability and energy in my view.

If he's happy to play in LOI, that shouldn't mean he's ruled out of international football. He's deserving of an opportunity in the NL games at least whether he stays in LOI or leaves.

Ultimately we want the LOI to be strong enough that decent players can have a good career and be good enough for the national team squad. That's not Stephen Kenny's job, his job is to pick the best players available for the squad and there's a strong argument that Byrne despite playing in LOI should still be in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Definitely think Jack Byrne deserves a spot in the squad, he is almost exactly the type of player we are lacking. Someone who genuinely wants to get on the ball and dictate play and take risks, he has impressed against Milan and in Europe last season, has played well in some big league games for Rovers, made a great impression when he played vs Bulgaria in the friendly last year. He at least warrants a squad place, not saying he will or should start every game but what more does he have to do to impress some people aside from move to England?

I agree though that if he ever wants to be considering a starting or key player for Ireland he will eventually have to move. Agree with those who said he would be better suited to other leagues in Europe but you would have to wonder how often are these leagues looking at our players? If he is a home bird as well, you'd wonder would he struggle to adapt to other countries with different cultures/languages. Didn't seem to harm him when he played with Cambuur mind.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0918/1166100-fifa-change-international-eligibility-rules/

I know this was discussed on here before, but what is the logic or rationale for this rule change exactly and who lobbied for the change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

What about his season at blackburn? Whats the reasoning for that not working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is a mountain of difference between the LoI and International football.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

There is a mountain of difference between the LoI and International football.

Would you say there was a mountain of a difference between playing in the Veikkausliga in Finland or the Icelandic domestic league for example, and playing International football?

Would you say there was a mountain of a difference between playing in the Veikkausliga in Finland or the Icelandic domestic league for example, and playing International football?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Yes.

Both of these leagues are of a similar quality to League of Ireland yet regularly provide players to their respective international squads, it really puzzles me how so many Irish soccer fans regularly turn their nose up to prospective local talents just because they are not playing in England, like I said earlier the dynamics are changing and a bit of perspective is needed for what our expectations are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

POKERKING wrote: »
    What about his season at blackburn? Whats the reasoning for that not working?
    Is this jack byrne?
    I think owen coyle was the blackburn manager at the time he was utterly clueless we were seriously struggling at the time.
    He also had no idea where to play him.
    I wouldn't judge him to harshly based on his time at blackburn.

sugarman wrote: »

Hes incredibly close to his ma and sister ever since his dads young passing. Moving back into the family home and having them there has done him the world of good. Hes seems genuinely happy and has the support he needed. It shows in his football too. Now thats he that bit older and in a better place, hes hopefully better prepared for any future move.

Yeah, I listened to his Players Chair interview on Second Captains and heard all the other excuses in your post that I didn't quote. It wasn't an easy time for him and I have sympathy for him in that respect. Whether the other stuff is the whole story or not, I wish nothing but the best for him.
    The fact of the matter is, that he's coasting through his career at the moment. It shows in his football because he's playing at the minimum a level below where he's capable of being.
    If he has no desire to be tested against top class players, why should he be called up to the international squad? Football is about a lot more than natural talent. It's up to him to prove that he should be there and he's done nothing to do that yet.

Yeah, I listened to his Players Chair interview on Second Captains and heard all the other excuses in your post that I didn't quote. It wasn't an easy time for him and I have sympathy for him in that respect. Whether the other stuff is the whole story or not, I wish nothing but the best for him.
    The fact of the matter is, that he's coasting through his career at the moment. It shows in his football because he's playing at the minimum a level below where he's capable of being.
    If he has no desire to be tested against top class players, why should he be called up to the international squad? Football is about a lot more than natural talent. It's up to him to prove that he should be there and he's done nothing to do that yet.

As a manager you pick your best players, it doesn't matter what level they are playing at. A lot of the hate for Byrne is from anti LOI people. Keith Fahey came back to play LOI when he was well able to still play in the championship in England, some players are just home birds simple as. If the so called Irish football fans supported their own league these guys wouldn't have to live in England.

Both of these leagues are of a similar quality to League of Ireland yet regularly provide players to their respective international squads, it really puzzles me how so many Irish soccer fans regularly turn their nose up to prospective local talents just because they are not playing in England, like I said earlier the dynamics are changing and a bit of perspective is needed for what our expectations are here

I am a ardent follower of Dundalk FC and the LOI but I can still see the difference between the standards required to play in the LOI and International football.
    There is usually a progression required to make that step-up ie move to England and improve fitness, skills, stamina and speed of thought.
    It is very rare to represent your country from the LOI on it’s own although a few have done so ie Tommy McConville, Turlough O’Connor, Synan Braddish and Mick Fairclough from my own club in my time. Of late Darryl Horgan and Andy Boyle got minor parts because of starring in our league but showed that they were not up to International standard fairly quickly.
    It’s even harder to make that breakthrough now imo unless you’re in the English top tiers and getting a lot of exposure on tv etc.
    Jack Byrne is probably the best talent in the LOI now but this league is way lower than the top two tiers in England. That’s where he needs to be imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I am a ardent follower of Dundalk FC and the LOI but I can still see the difference between the standards required to play in the LOI and International football.
    There is usually a progression required to make that step-up ie move to England and improve fitness, skills, stamina and speed of thought.
    It is very rare to represent your country from the LOI on it’s own although a few have done so ie Tommy McConville, Turlough O’Connor, Synan Braddish and Mick Fairclough from my own club in my time. Of late Darryl Horgan and Andy Boyle got minor parts because of starring in our league but showed that they were not up to International standard fairly quickly.
    It’s even harder to make that breakthrough now imo unless you’re in the English top tiers and getting a lot of exposure on tv etc.
    Jack Byrne is probably the best talent in the LOI now but this league is way lower than the top two tiers in England. That’s where he needs to be imo.

Fair point and I would love to see him move over and succeed and take his career to the next level. I think where he is now in LOI you don't put him against against Spain or Germany that may quickly expose the level he is playing at however I think the points being made that even where he is he is absolutely capable to offering something different and creative against mediocre and poor teams. He is several levels above Gibraltar and would be good enough and a more creative option against the likes of Finland etc but for sure if he moved onto England or Europe and was a success it would be brilliant as fitness stamina and all those attributes you mentioned would be better. It would be good for his career and Ireland. I would still have him in the squad for Slovakia.

Anyway, Seamie, Callum Robinson and Dara O'Shea start in the early kick off. Good to see O'Shea really establishing himself there even as they move up to the PL.

• Advertisement

As a manager you pick your best players, it doesn't matter what level they are playing at. A lot of the hate for Byrne is from anti LOI people. Keith Fahey came back to play LOI when he was well able to still play in the championship in England, some players are just home birds simple as. If the so called Irish football fans supported their own league these guys wouldn't have to live in England.

I genuinely haven't seen any hate for him whatsoever. I think everyone would love for him to take the step up and prove himself ready for international football. He's the type of player we're crying out for. Where he's playing at the moment just doesn't cut it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The women a goal down after 10 mins in Germany. Could be a long day for them, Germany have racked up some monster scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The women a goal down after 10 mins in Germany. Could be a long day for them, Germany have racked up some monster scores

Shocking defending and poor from the keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Germans are just leagues above
    Their interplay and ability to switch is far superior

Look at Jarrett harrying the defender and keeper in the box and then the rest of the team is still in the defensive half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Surely worth trying Reid - Burke or Maloney in goal?

I don't think Darryl Horgan did much wrong in his appearances for Ireland, he played well as far as I can remember. He is only 28 and playing in the championship so we might see him back in a green shirt at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Travers on the bench for Bournemouth today, disappointed he's lost his place after just 1 game

Travers on the bench for Bournemouth today, disappointed he's lost his place after just 1 game

Turns out he only started against Blackburn as Begovic was injured.

Molumby might need another loan. For the second week in a row he isn't making the PL match day squad. I was hopeful he might see PL game time this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

most of the team is limited, I would have O'Dowda over the likes of mcclean any day.

McClean has scored important goals for us. Has O’Dowda ever had a decent game for us?? Never mind contributing something important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

McClean has scored important goals for us. Has O’Dowda ever had a decent game for us?? Never mind contributing something important.

He scored a very important goal for us in October 2017.

That's a long time in football.

No one will forget that and the Austria goal and it was a golden year for him in an Irish shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Presumably the people clamouring for Coleman to be dropped because “Doherty is the best Irish RB in the Premier League” are slowly realising that he’s actually not? Not remotely effective in a back 4, so unless Ireland start playing a back 3/5 (which I would be in favour of) Coleman should come back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Connolly has played well today.

Potter obviously rates him I notice he has been handed the number 7 shirt this season too. If he keeps getting PL minutes he will continue to improve. Good for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

henke wrote: »
    Molumby might need another loan. For the second week in a row he isn't making the PL match day squad. I was hopeful he might see PL game time this season.

Yes, its disappointing that he's not included in the squad especially when Millwall wanted to loan him for another year.
    Thought Potter had plans for him but doesn't look that way at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Bazunu MOTM for Rochdale today while keeping a CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Trying to think when's the last time two Irish CBs started for a Premier League side? Must be a good while. Dunne and Clark at Villa would be my guess but I don't know.

noodler wrote: »
    He scored a very important goal for us in October 2017.

That's a long time in football.

No one will forget that and the Austria goal and it was a golden year for him in an Irish shirt.

What’s O’Dowda done that we’ve forgotten?

Nothing yet, but hes 25 and has had very limited chances for Ireland. McClean was exactly the same at his age.

Exactly the same.

McClean had 2 seasons in the Premiership at 25. 70 games and 11 goals.

O’Dowda has 3 seasons in the championship. 89 games and 8 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Exactly the same.

McClean had 2 seasons in the Premiership at 25. 70 games and 11 goals.

O’Dowda has 3 seasons in the championship. 89 games and 8 goals.

The obsession with O'Dowda from team McClean persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Goal for Dunne!

Even when Mee and Tarkowski are back, would be great to see him start 10-15 games this season. Our squad defence wouldn't look too bad (possible list of all EPL starters)
    Doherty
    Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Clark
    Dunne

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement